You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips or Sculpt
Do any of you just sculpt a nail if one of your clients nails come off instead of putting a tip on? My new client never had that done to her and she was just curious why I didn't use a tip. Thanks for your input.

Monti
(06-25-2012, 12:58 PM)Monti Wrote: Do any of you just sculpt a nail if one of your clients nails come off instead of putting a tip on? My new client never had that done to her and she was just curious why I didn't use a tip. Thanks for your input.

Monti

I never use tips and lots of times i get new clients they are usually surprised by that. At this point i think the forms and sculpting are just faster then tipping for me. It also cuts down on buying tips. Don't get me wrong i have nothing against tips I am just used to sculpting now.
Cindy

Thanks for your help Cindy. I have one other question please, what type and size brush do you use for sculpting, I can't seem to find one to satisfy me yet. I'm struggling with the sculpting.

Thanks
I still use tips occasionally but it kinda depends on the nail that I'm repairing. For me, tip or sculpt is the same as far as speed goes. I use a 12 for all my nail work.
(06-25-2012, 05:39 PM)Monti Wrote: Thanks for your help Cindy. I have one other question please, what type and size brush do you use for sculpting, I can't seem to find one to satisfy me yet. I'm struggling with the sculpting.

Thanks

I used to have an opi artistic number 10 and i would have run thru a burning house to save my brush i loved it so much...lol but i didnt clean it well enough once and some ac dried in it and that was that... I went to replace it and they didn't have any so i grabbed a star pro number 10 to get me thru and its really been working out fine for me and it was 20 compared to 45 or 50... when i first started sculpting with forms it was a total mess... it takes some practice and then some more practice and lots of patience... fitting the form correctly is a big deal and if thats off it will throw everything off... my favorite forms to work with and i have tried a lot of them are harmonys...they are super sticky so when i take the form off the roll and i break the back tab in half i pass it back and forth on my fingers to get it a bit less sticky so i can get it off my finger after i fit it on the nail bed.. does that make any sense? I can try to get a little video of that move in a day or so when my son gets back so you can see what i mean. I know it can be very frustrating just keep trying! : )
Cindy
I use sculpts a lot especially when working during fills...I find that fitting forms on new clients can sometimes be dangerous territory for me ,so I tend to use tips to do new sets on most clients. I do find that sculpts produce more beautiful ,striking pink and whites though...
(06-25-2012, 07:47 PM)cindy3 Wrote:
(06-25-2012, 05:39 PM)Monti Wrote: Thanks for your help Cindy. I have one other question please, what type and size brush do you use for sculpting, I can't seem to find one to satisfy me yet. I'm struggling with the sculpting.

Thanks

I used to have an opi artistic number 10 and i would have run thru a burning house to save my brush i loved it so much...lol but i didnt clean it well enough once and some ac dried in it and that was that... I went to replace it and they didn't have any so i grabbed a star pro number 10 to get me thru and its really been working out fine for me and it was 20 compared to 45 or 50... when i first started sculpting with forms it was a total mess... it takes some practice and then some more practice and lots of patience... fitting the form correctly is a big deal and if thats off it will throw everything off... my favorite forms to work with and i have tried a lot of them are harmonys...they are super sticky so when i take the form off the roll and i break the back tab in half i pass it back and forth on my fingers to get it a bit less sticky so i can get it off my finger after i fit it on the nail bed.. does that make any sense? I can try to get a little video of that move in a day or so when my son gets back so you can see what i mean. I know it can be very frustrating just keep trying! : )
Cindy

Thanks for your responses. Cindy I found your website and it's nice that you offer to ans. other questions anyone might have. I think I'll try the #10 and the form that you use. I understand what you do with the form for the stickyness but if you have a video of your sculpt technique that would be great to view. I might ask other questions from your site if you don't mind.
(06-27-2012, 11:37 AM)Monti Wrote:
(06-25-2012, 07:47 PM)cindy3 Wrote:

Thanks

Cindy

Thanks for your responses. Cindy I found your website and it's nice that you offer to ans. other questions anyone might have. I think I'll try the #10 and the form that you use. I understand what you do with the form for the stickyness but if you have a video of your sculpt technique that would be great to view. I might ask other questions from your site if you don't mind.

Hi Monti,
I think that the young nails sculpting videos are great... have you seen them? I love talking nails so i would be more then happy to answer any questions you have. I wont get a chance to try doing a little video till next week and that might be iffy... i've got some serious medical stuff going on here with one of my kids so its going to be a rough couple of weeks. : ( but i think Tammy Taylor has some.. people with a lot more talent then me have their videos up...
I would give my eyeteeth to go to young nails bootcamp...but then i would look pretty silly when i smiled...lol.. Let me know how you like the brush...
Cindy
Sorry to hear about your child, hope all goes well. I'll check out the other videos and thanks again for your info... Don't worry about making one later because I'm sure I'll get all the info I need from the other videos. Take care.

Monti
I always scupt, only do gels. Never liked tips, didnt learn with them and probably wont ever use them. I like the natural look and feel of a sculpt. Plus any tip that I have seen when a new client comes in from elsewhere, there is breakdown of glue and lifting where it was attached and I have to remove it anyway. You dont have this problem when you sculpt.
I always sculpt too - I believe my brush is an oval Kolinsky #10 (?)
I never have good luck with tips - probably just how I was trained, this is easier for me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 2
Views: 1,721
06-30-2013, 09:43 AM
Last Postctonramk@aol.com
Replies: 3
Views: 1,879
04-13-2013, 10:47 PM