You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nail fungus
Hi everyone, I just wanted to know if anyone with more experience in this field would now more about how nail fungus can spread from one person to the other. For example if I wasn't wearing gloves on a pedi service and my client had tinea pedis would I get since I came in direct contact?
the answer would be yes.
Not necessarily. There is still some debate in the medical profession as to how contagious fungus really is. Better safe than sorry, though, and just follow the law and refuse the service.
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
let me clarify, if you clean under the client's toenails and they have fungus, and somehow that debri gets under YOUR nails, then YES, you could get fungus. I know, it happened to me. I didn't wear gloves and when I went to school, the fungal factor wasn't really stressed. So when I got out of school, I didn't use gloves and when I did pedi's I got fungus 2 different times. Both times, I had to go to the Dr. and get meds to clear it up. It's why I stopped doing pedi's for over 10 years.

Fast forward to now, I'm a lot more diligent in my cleanliness and sanitation. As was mentioned earlier, be safe and refuse the service. The only problem is that sometimes you don't know if the client has some kind of infection if it's just got started, so YOU need to work as tho everyone has something, and wear gloves to protect yourself and sanitize and disinfect to protect your clients.
Is nail fungus contagious?

While the fungus must be obtained from someplace, it is not highly contagious. Nail fungus is so common that finding more than one person in a household who has it is hardly more than a coincidence. It can be transmitted from person to person but only with constant intimate contact.
while it may not be highly contagious it is STILL CONTAGIOUS. If there wasn't a problem with it, the state board wouldn't make us do all this disinfection and sanitation. It is one of the things we're to look for when examining the client's feet for infections. Athlete's Foot, fungal infections of the toenails, infected ingrowns are all reasons to deny a pedicure because of possible spread of a contagious infection.
one of my favorite articles on fungus

http://www.salongeek.com/health-safety-u...-guys.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 1
Views: 1,365
04-06-2014, 10:06 PM
Last Postsillysoup
Replies: 8