You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
BeautyTech.com

BeautyTech Main PageBeautyTech Main Page        BeautyTech ForumsBeautyTech Forums        Beautytech ShoppeBeautyTech Shoppe        CalendarVisit Nailtech.com        Like us on Facebook        Follow us on Twitter        Find us on Pinterest        View our videos on YouTube       
click THIS... win STUFF...click THIS... win STUFF...        SponsorsSponsors        NT Mailing List SponsorsNT Mailing List Sponsors        SearchFREE Salon Locator Listing        LINDLI Network Day        Orlando SocialOrlando Network Social
FAQFAQ        ContactContact        SearchShoppe Search        SearchForum Search        Make Homepage

BeautyTech Dedicated to Educate and Decorate BeautyTech Home

BeautyTech Sponsors SPONSORS
BeautyTech Sponsors NT Mailing List Sponsors

CONTESTS
BeautyTech click THIS... win STUFF... click THIS/win STUFF
BeautyTech Strut Your STUFF Competition Strut Your Stuff

SHOPPING
BeautyTech Shoppe BeautyTech Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Swap & Shop
BeautyTech Shoppe Salon Posters
BeautyTech Shoppe Milady Publications
BeautyTech Shoppe NailTech Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Empower NailArt
BeautyTech Shoppe EZ Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Odyssey Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Valentino Air Filter
BeautyTech Shoppe Star Nail International
BeautyTech Shoppe Cuccio Naturale
BeautyTech Shoppe Cinapro Nail Art
BeautyTech Shoppe HairCentral

NETWORK
NailTech Connect @ BeautyTech Forums NailTech Connect
BeautyTech Forums Message Boards
NailTech Mailing list @ Google Groups Mailing List
BeautyTech Network Events Network Events

TOOLS
BeautyTech Search Shoppe Shoppe Search
BeautyTech Search Forum Forum Search
Search Business Builders
BeautyTech Professional Licensing Links Licensing Info
BeautyTech Calendar Calendar
BeautyTech.INFO FREE Salon Listing FREE Salon Listing
BeautyTech Photo Gallery Photo Gallery

EVERYTHING ELSE
Advertise @ BeautyTech Advertise
BeautyTech Contact Contact Us
BeautyTech Privacy Policy Privacy Policy

STAY INFORMED

ADVERTISEMENT

FEATURED AD

NailTech.com - Star Nail International, Odyddey Nail, HairCentral, Empower Nail Art

Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fed up...
03-26-2012, 12:33 PM
 (Print Post)
Fed up...
Just a little venting / rant...getting very fed up with the gel polishes / power polish. Hate that I have some people that can wear it and it lasts forever ,then others seem to have trouble almost immediately. All my lights are good ,my prep is meticulous , cap free edges ,send them away with after care sheets ,and have pretty much tried every trick in the book ,and yes, I know some clients ate better suited for it than others....wish I had not invested all this time ,and loads of money ,to only lose business it seems...anyone else feeling like this ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-26-2012, 01:06 PM
 (Print Post)
RE: Fed up...
Not at all. I market this as a natural nail service, and I emphasize the fact that these are not enhancments. So whatever you do--treat your nails like jewels not tools!. It has gone over wonderfully for my clients. My secondary benefit is using it for art on gel nails. I don't have to have a hundred colors of standard gel, but I have many options for art.

Claudia
C-C My Nails
Newcastle, WY
03-26-2012, 01:51 PM
 (Print Post)
Yes, CCMy Nails ,I too am marketing it to natural nail clients ,and am very thourough when I tell them they are not enhancements ,and go even further to send them home with an after care sheet that repeats everything I go over with them...I just think the expectations are ridiculous ,and I think some of the companies have mislead us on the staying power , in other words there seems to have been a lot of "fine print " missing. Initially I was ecstatic to have products like this to offer my natural nail clients ,now ,they seem to be more of a headache. I still love them ,and how versatile they are ,but the wind has certainly left my sails lately....
03-26-2012, 03:46 PM
 (Print Post)
(03-26-2012 01:51 PM)lexibunny Wrote:  Yes, CCMy Nails ,I too am marketing it to natural nail clients ,and am very thourough when I tell them they are not enhancements ,and go even further to send them home with an after care sheet that repeats everything I go over with them...I just think the expectations are ridiculous ,and I think some of the companies have mislead us on the staying power , in other words there seems to have been a lot of "fine print " missing. Initially I was ecstatic to have products like this to offer my natural nail clients ,now ,they seem to be more of a headache. I still love them ,and how versatile they are ,but the wind has certainly left my sails lately....

I do find there are too many variables when it comes to SOGP. Like you I have experienced the same. Some can were it without issue for weeks and others cannot get past a day.

Anna
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-26-2012, 06:19 PM (This post was last modified: 03-26-2012 06:23 PM by CandiceAE.)
 (Print Post)
I have some people who go three weeks with no chipping, and most can go the two weeks with little or no chipping. I have a very few who come in "naked" at the two week mark, but they tell me it went fine to about day 12 and got a little chip, then they just picked the rest off... I don't have a single person who only makes it a few days, and I certainly don't think that I do anything special or am over the top meticulous with prep.

So that leaves me wondering, what brands do you use? I initially used the original OPI sog, what a disappointment. I've also used the Eco sog's, and while they last pretty well, the results at two weeks weren't as good. Now I just use Mani-Q and Gelish. I have a few clients who don't think Gelish holds up as well and will only wear Mani-Q. Most of my clients don't have a preference between the two, they seem to wear equally well.

I do tell people that they don't have as much leeway with sog's as they do with a traditional enhancement, but it IS, IMO, an enhancement service. We definitely are adding strength with the SOG's. If I do have someone who is getting a little chipping when they start with this service, I add a second base coat for added strength and that takes care of most problems.
Sorry, one other thing. I do not cap the free edge, regardless of brand used. During prep I will remove most of the length, then after my application I file the f/e to shape. I feel like if I can file it at the end of the service I can catch it if there's any problems from the get go. Several of my clients have nails that grow quickly and so they file them with a glass file between services, so I want to make sure that they can do that without the product lifting.

Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
03-26-2012, 08:03 PM
 (Print Post)
I'm with you lexibunny. Some clients do ok,some not at all. I use mostly shellac. I've tried opi gel polish with worse results. I'm to the point of total honesty with natural nail clients. Try it to see how it works for you. Ido not lie. I just tell them just like anything else out there you have to see how it works for you. After being in this business for twenty some years some manufactures overrate their products and you find out that not everything works the same for everybody.
03-26-2012, 09:19 PM
 (Print Post)
I more or less have the same problem. I do have one lady that no matter which brand I use, can go 7 weeks. No chips. Most go 2 weeks, a few three and I have 2 that are fussing about chips after a week. I do find the shorter the nail, the more chipping I get. no idea why. I use Shellac, Nailite and Eco mostly. When I use them over enhancements, they work great. That being said, anyone I have trouble with, I try to convince to let me put either gentle gel or stylus down first, just one layer, and then the gel polish. It works about every time.
Brenda

Brenda
Electrologist 30
Nail tech 3 years
Fairytale Nails (Bring on the bling)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Brenda-Loc...1768602978
03-26-2012, 09:29 PM
 (Print Post)
I use Shellac ,Gelish ,OPI Gelcolor...have done Structure on a few problem chippers, and also primed ,and topcoat...I guess you could say I am having any problem chippers work with me until I find a solution. Lately ,I write down whatever extra coats Ive done ,or whether I primed ,etc ,etc ,so I will know what " formula" , or what brand solves the problem. ( up above that should read "double " topcoated...)
03-26-2012, 10:21 PM
 (Print Post)
Awwwww, sorry to see you are having issues. I guess I have been pretty fortunate as I have not experienced the issues you are having. I have, however, reworded my marketing when it comes to wearing SOGP. I have now started saying it "could" last up to 10-14 days. This way there is no mistaking that it is a "polish", no an enhancement. In my opinion and experience with using SOGP (my preference is Shellac) it protects the nails, doesn't add strength. I feel if a client gets at least 10 days wear, that is a whole lot better than regular polish. I hope you can get it figured out, not sure what else to tell ya.
03-27-2012, 12:46 AM
 (Print Post)
I have also found that some clients have un-realistic expectations about what this new kind of polish can do for them. I also stress that is just a polish/manicure application and not an artificial enhancement... but I still have a few pickers who can't handle a minor chip after 10-14 days. Once they see a tiny chip - they freak out and start picking. I counsel them not too... but sometimes it's like talking to a wall. Some days I slap my hand against my head.. and some days I just laugh it off... depends on the day. Good Luck to ya.

If you need help with Shellac, Gelish, or IBD's Just Gel - feel free to email me... I'd be happy to go over my results and such.

Terri Lancaster
Nails By Design
253-350-2591

SPREAD VICIOUS GLEE!
03-27-2012, 09:04 AM
 (Print Post)
Part of my problem ,is that I have converted some of my regular acrylic clients over to this service. These are people used to going three weeks and coming back with perfect polish , no breaks ,and just regrowth. My other problem is ,new clients that I have done that originally had it done at an Asisn salon ,tell me it stayed on forever...well they say they had Shellac ( I think that has become the standard name for the service ,regardless of brand) ,but to me ,I really have no idea what was used on them ,base layer of hard gel ,who knows ,and of course they are clueless ,but as you can imagine these people aren't going to pay my price for it $30., when it lasted " forever" @ $20. I too also have ones who it lasts forever on without any extra coats ,or prep ,but my problem " children " are really bumming me out.
03-27-2012, 10:26 PM (This post was last modified: 03-27-2012 10:44 PM by Nail Bunny.)
 (Print Post)
(03-26-2012 12:33 PM)lexibunny Wrote:  Just a little venting / rant...getting very fed up with the gel polishes / power polish. Hate that I have some people that can wear it and it lasts forever ,then others seem to have trouble almost immediately. All my lights are good ,my prep is meticulous , cap free edges ,send them away with after care sheets ,and have pretty much tried every trick in the book ,and yes, I know some clients ate better suited for it than others....wish I had not invested all this time ,and loads of money ,to only lose business it seems...anyone else feeling like this ?

I hear you. I think that the Gel Polish only works good on ladies with really strong nails. If you have a client that has weak nails that bend, the gel will crack and cause it to chip off. Same with any nail polish. I was just on the Venique blog and some of the tech were having issues with the polish chipping. I have had great success with it, but if I have a client that has thin, weak nails...I put a nail hardener down first then the base, one coat of polish and then the top coat. I think the soaking the Gel polish off in Acetone every time they come in weakens the nail bed as well. I make my client only wear it ever third time they get a manicure. I don't care what they say...it does make the nail a little weaker because of the soaking and scrapping.
04-09-2012, 03:03 PM
 (Print Post)
(03-26-2012 06:19 PM)CandiceAE Wrote:  I have some people who go three weeks with no chipping, and most can go the two weeks with little or no chipping. I have a very few who come in "naked" at the two week mark, but they tell me it went fine to about day 12 and got a little chip, then they just picked the rest off... I don't have a single person who only makes it a few days, and I certainly don't think that I do anything special or am over the top meticulous with prep.

So that leaves me wondering, what brands do you use? I initially used the original OPI sog, what a disappointment. I've also used the Eco sog's, and while they last pretty well, the results at two weeks weren't as good. Now I just use Mani-Q and Gelish. I have a few clients who don't think Gelish holds up as well and will only wear Mani-Q. Most of my clients don't have a preference between the two, they seem to wear equally well.

:rolleyes:hi everything your saying above happens to me too but wat i cant understand i have a couple of clients that when they first had it done for their first half a dozen or so times the gels where ok and lasted 2 to 2 and a half weeks and all of a sudden peeling completly off like a false nail , i am so carefull cap of all edges do not touch sides at all , iam so mistified , any suggestions please, thank you Big Grin

I do tell people that they don't have as much leeway with sog's as they do with a traditional enhancement, but it IS, IMO, an enhancement service. We definitely are adding strength with the SOG's. If I do have someone who is getting a little chipping when they start with this service, I add a second base coat for added strength and that takes care of most problems.
Sorry, one other thing. I do not cap the free edge, regardless of brand used. During prep I will remove most of the length, then after my application I file the f/e to shape. I feel like if I can file it at the end of the service I can catch it if there's any problems from the get go. Several of my clients have nails that grow quickly and so they file them with a glass file between services, so I want to make sure that they can do that without the product lifting.
04-10-2012, 07:11 AM
 (Print Post)
For those of you who have clients who like to peel the product off, I believe this may be why subsequent applications are not working. They are taking the top layer of keratin off. I always caution my clients not do to this and if they do, they cannot expect the product to perform the way it's designed to do.

Laura Merzetti
http://www.scratchmyback.ca
CND Education Ambassador
Toronto, Ontario Canada
04-10-2012, 07:15 PM
 (Print Post)
"I put a nail hardener down first then the base, one coat of polish and then the top coat."
How does this work with your clients with thin nails Nail Bunny?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kellies-na...4068300346
04-11-2012, 03:34 AM
 (Print Post)
We never want to disappoint our clients: underpromise and overdeliver.

Jaime Schrabeck, Ph.D. (yes, it's real)
http://www.precisionnails.com
http://shop.precisionnails.com
04-11-2012, 10:50 AM
 (Print Post)
(04-11-2012 03:34 AM)PrecisionNails Wrote:  We never want to disappoint our clients: underpromise and overdeliver.

I've read that you use colored hard gel to do your gel manicures rather than the soak offs - are you building a full enhancement (thicker with full structure) or putting down multiple thin layers? Just curious because for myself I have been brushing on traditional base coat, then two thin, even layers of a clear builder gel, then the gel polish and followed by a hard gel top coat. This works great for me as it creates a nice thin nail, is very quick to do, and keeps the gel polish from getting ruined if acetone works it's way into my gloves! I'm wearing my nails about 1/4" longer than the fingertip as an overly (grew my nails there gradually) and even though they are thin, they are quite strong. I'm wondering if this would work for my clients as well...

Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
04-11-2012, 10:51 PM
 (Print Post)
We offer gel polish as an add-on to enhancements (hard gel overlays), just like polish is an add-on.

Jaime Schrabeck, Ph.D. (yes, it's real)
http://www.precisionnails.com
http://shop.precisionnails.com
04-15-2012, 09:46 AM
 (Print Post)
I too have had client s that can last at least 3 weeks and then some maybe 10 days. The biggest problem i have is the dehydration. I am assuming it is the acetone that is doing that. I have reverted (for some clients) back to regular manicures but of course it doesn't last as long as the SOG and then they are disappointed.
04-15-2012, 10:36 AM
 (Print Post)
Just an update since my original post...I have made adjustments, kept track ,and this seems to have solved some problems. Some girls I apply an extra topcoat ,some protein bond ,some a layer or two of structure first ,some, all of the above ,lol...frustrations have diminished the last few weeks ,and clients are happier....so thankful most of them have had the patience to work with me and let me try different things. I have only been offering gel polishes on my menu since last August ,so I guess I just need to work through the " teething " probs...Smile
04-20-2012, 03:52 PM
 (Print Post)
Glad to hear its working out for you lexi..I too, was having some clients that gel polish was just not lasting with. I got meticulous with my cuticle prep, dehydrated w acetone, some I used OPI bond aid on before applying something wonderful or protein bond. The clients that worked with me through the curve are thrilled and some of the ones I lost I was able to lure back with a "we miss you card" advertising our new product for one more try on me (but only if they booked 3 or more appts in the past.) Seems to be working and glad some of the same techniques are working for you.
Post Reply  Post Thread