You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to recover after a scorned employee leaves??
Sad 
Sorry this is kind of long...

I just started working at a shop that I really truly love. My boss is great, treats me well and fair and like we are a team, listens to my input and seriously takes it into consideration.

The only problem with this is that the last girl she fired is very angry that she was let go. She seems to have started up a mobile business and taken ALL the clientele with her. (Which I understand, since more often than not clients follow the tech, not the shop) But the way she is going about it is really hurting the business. She calling all old clients and not only informing them that she has left, but that they should most certainly not return to the spa, even if they don't come to her, as it is a "horrible place and the new girl (me, she also has never met me) will probably screw something up since there is no way this new girl (again me) couldn't be as good as her". Now, we did here this from a client that DID come back so... (This client was very off-put about the manner of her phone call, and indeed loved my services)

Her friends are leaving nasty messages on the business facebook and we have had to ban 4 people from the page, making 6 others leave. We have gone from a pretty full book to nothing. Maybe 3 clients a week. (the shop has only been open for six month mind you...)

I really need some advice ladies, this happening is affecting me emotionally as even though I shouldn't, I am kind of taking this personally.

Any advice for how we can get back on our feet?? We are in an awkward little nook space of town with out a big draw company, and behind the main road. ANY and ALL advice would be greatly appreciated.... thanks ladies...
Was she an employee or did she rent space?
Laura Merzetti
http://www.scratchmyback.ca
CND Education Ambassador
Toronto, Ontario Canada
She was an employee
Maybe you could sue her for slander?

http://injury-law.freeadvice.com/injury-...ements.htm
Threaten slander, so she knows that regardless of how she feels about her departure, it's unlawful and liable on her part to lie, which results in loss of business. We had a renter leave us. Not on bad terms, but she wanted something the salon could not offer. ( a fully upgraded and unnecessary exhaust ). She kept talking about her sensitity to the chemical smell. But she was the only one. When she left she sent emails to clients, who happen to be my nail clients, and talked to the paper to advertise where she went. In the emails and interview she told people she left because we are exposing people to toxic poison. I told the owner and he nipped that right away, you cannot say whatever you want. You can be held accountable, and fined for doing what she is doing. Be professional and respond the the messages on Facebook in a manner that is customer concern and quality control. Address what was said in a very polite manner, while setting the record strait. To ignor the comments is allowing the damage to continue. Deleting them looks like there is something to hide. But answering nicely shows your professional character. Do not threaten the slander publicly, it will look bad on your part. Do it via a phone call, and email. Letting her know you will not stand for it, and to cease the activity now or the salon will pursue farther. It's against the law to hurt someone's private life or business via running your mouth, in any way, that is untrue. Sorry you guys have to deal with that.
Are you located in the States? If so does your state allow her to be mobile? If not, you could report her.

If the person was an employee the salon owner slipped up by letting her have access to the client info. The clients are the salon's clients, not the tech when a tech is an employee. Did she have a contract? If not, she needs to so she can protect her business in the future.

Other than that I would say hold your head high, along with the salon owner and time will show who the better person/shop is. Your talent and skill will speak for itself. And the client that came back will pass on the word that you do good work and are knowledgeable. Taking the high road is always the best. It shows you are reputable and have class. The salon owner needs to do some marketing (and maybe you, too) and show why people should come to that location, what the shop offers that is above and beyond, experience, etc. Put it out there what you and the shop have to offer and what makes you unique. Whatever you do don't stoop to her level by telling people bad things about her. That only makes you/salon look bad. Good luck.
Thanks ladies, your words are a very needed pick me up.

Sobeit: I don't think my boss would sue her for slander, she is much too nice. Plus we have no proof that she is saying this, only hearsay and it is her friends that are posting on the page not her directly. Unfortunately my boss did just delete the comments with out any recognition of it being there. If there are any more any time soon I will definitely advise her to write a professional response to the person making the comment. Thanks for the advice Smile

LuvGlitter: Where I live we are not allowed in home businesses, and I am unsure if she has a business license or not for the mobile business, which is allowed.
Your boss will lose business if the ex employee and her friends continue to behave this way. She doesn't have to sue, only to threaten with a cease and desist letter. The friends, they are not exempt from the slander threat.
(03-22-2012, 02:19 AM)BornToBling Wrote: Thanks ladies, your words are a very needed pick me up.

Sobeit: I don't think my boss would sue her for slander, she is much too nice. Plus we have no proof that she is saying this, only hearsay and it is her friends that are posting on the page not her directly. Unfortunately my boss did just delete the comments with out any recognition of it being there. If there are any more any time soon I will definitely advise her to write a professional response to the person making the comment. Thanks for the advice Smile

LuvGlitter: Where I live we are not allowed in home businesses, and I am unsure if she has a business license or not for the mobile business, which is allowed.

I agree with Sobeit but there is another way (maybe) that this could be dealt with but without having to actually sue her.
But first up can I say, yes your boss might be nice but being nice is not going to fix this or guarantee the success of her business, getting this girl dealt with promptly before she does any more damage could ensure recovery of the business, there's no need to be nasty but being nice is not the way either.
Ok, my idea...... here in Australia in this type of situation where someone thinks they are above the law but the other party do not wish to take full legal action, the salon owner/business owner can go to a solicitor/lawyer and pay a small fee (it used to be around $100-$200) and have the solicitor write up a legal letter where they state what the person is doing, state they have witness statements/emails/voice mails/messages etc to prove what she is doing,state they are doing wrong (slander etc) and they are being asked to cease and desist immediately and if they continue, they will face further legal action by the salon/I. It can also include that this person MUST reverse the damage done by way of a public (newspaper, sending of mass emails etc but something that can be proven, as in on paper, not just a phone call) apology and retract all slander comments made about the salon and staff.
It is usually enough to scare the person into stopping and knowing they have been busted and they are breaking the law but it's not taking it as far as suing the person and costing the salon owner heaps of money to have her stopped.
It is well worth looking into if this can be done where you live, I advise your boss to contact her solicitor right NOW and get this done cause the damage this girl is doing might not be reversible the longer it goes on.
You have to have a good "set" if you want to be a business owner and playing the nice guy in a situation like this will never work but sticking up for your business and it's staff in a dignified, swift, professional manner will win in the end.
It is worth spending the money on something like this V's the amount of money being lost and that will be lost in the future, it's an investment in the business and this is how it needs to be looked at, not looked at as spending money we don't have, by the sounds of it, this salon owner can't afford to not spend money on something legal like this cause if she doesn't, she won't have a salon to even open in a few months time.
Small salons already have it hard enough and too many small business fail in the first 2 yrs from normal events, let alone this type of slander, I feel it's urgent that something be done, I know if it was my business, I would be sitting out the front of my solicitors office waiting for them to openSmile

I'm sorry that you guys are going through this, some people are just not worth the space they take up but sadly a person like this can cause more damage than anybody would think and this is showing by way of loss of business, so something needs to be done now.

Good luck, keep us posted.

OMG! Sobeit, great minds think alikeSmile

I must have been typing when you did your last post about the same type of letter.

Borntobling, a letter like this is worth it's weight in gold and your boss would be crazy to not do something about this in a legal sense.
Legal action - everything is wrote.
How to recover clients?
Throw a party. Seriously. Set a date, bake some sweets, bring them to the shop with some flavoured tee and latte macchiato, may your boss call all clients and say - "we have a new awsome nail tech, we are throwing small welcome party, when you can paint your nails for free and get to know her". Now everyone will have the nails paint, because not everyone will want to wait, but you will chave a chance o chat with clients and gain their sympathy. And never ever say anything bad about old tech - "she was nice girl, I have heard she did a great work, I will do the same for you if you want" etc

I did this a few times - always worked, and clients like to step by, chat a bit, eat delicious cakes and get something for free.

Wish you luck!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 1
Views: 1,745
09-20-2015, 05:48 AM
Last PostAt Last...
Replies: 7
Views: 4,721