You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Little rant...
Does anyone ever get completely disgusted when people who clearly have a terrible nail job ,think it is fabulous ? I mean the ones who have the tell tale " rings of fire " ,or what I call "corn flakes around the cuticle" ? It always kills me when I know there are people getting nail services who will go every week ,or every two weeks to get their nails done ,only because the person doing them is cheap...( I charge 28.00 for a fill ,includes repairs ,which rarely I need to do ,and my clients go 3-6 weeks between appointments... My two weekers come mostly for the social time ,lol...nails are always next to perfect whether they come two weeks ,or six,the amount of regrowth is usually the only difference...) That being said ,I just feel like sometimes my work is way to detailed ,and I should just lower my standards, since people seem to not know the difference between quality work ,and something they could have done just as bad themselves....sorry this is so long ,just feeling totally unappreciated...oh ,and if I can add ... , I hate when other techs who still work like it's 1987 ,steal your knowledge and great ideas ,so they can cram in five more people to do some more " corn flake cuticle" nails on....ugh !!!! Sad
when I get someone like that, I give a small smile and say nothing. It's a complete waste of time to do otherwise. The fact that I DID NOT agree with them verbally speaks volumes. They will GET that, trust me.

Your prices are plenty cheap, and the kind of people who go to the other places, you don't want anyway. Hang in there, sounds like you're doing a great job and should go up on your prices!
Right now the salon where I am renting space has a girl who is jamming busy ,but her clients come every two weeks ,some every week cuz their polish needs fixing ,I have worked on her ,as well as a few of her clients ,and they seem shocked at how petfect my work and my nails seem to be....I'm thinking ,really ? They look how they should look if you are paying someone to do them ,IMO...their nails have product up on the cuticle ,and if its not, its like corn flake edges...anyway people must ask her why she doesnt do this or that ,cuz now she is clearly doing a lot of things how I do them...no one could get Gelish off their clients ,until they asked me how I got it off so fast ,etc. ,etc. My problem is that ,for example ,we have a pair of ladies who started coming together ,I do one, she does the other ,and there is a $6.00 difference in our fill prices... I am thinking she will end up with both of them ,since she is 15 min faster and $ 6.00 cheaper...and then thete are the people who have gone to her and given up on the gel polishes cuz " they take too long to soak off ,and they dont last...." Frustrating especially when there are plenty of chop shops around that will do the same ...I do actually love working with her ,though ,she if a fabulous person ,and I enjoy her immensely ,just have difficulty understaning how doing nails as long as she has ,she seems to not have such limited knowledge or skill...for example did a set on a client of mine ,client returns to her for fill after two weeks with 4 green nails ,and is tol
d the green stuff must just be in her system...Seriously ? Are you kidding ????? My client know exactly what the green stuff is ,and is insulted and mad that she was lied to
I feel that way about a lot of nails that I see, even online. I dont want to offend anyone, but some need to take a serious detailed tour of how the nails should look when done by a "professional". I have had younger clients ( I don't take them anymore) in my past, that do not care how the nails look and want it cheap. I think to myself, fine, do a cheap looking job. But I have never been able to do it. I make them excellent. I cant help myself. hahaha. So yes, I don't understand the flat nails, the thick nails, the poor cuticle work, the product heaped on, the lumpy nails, the mis-shapen nails, the techs who don't look side to side, down the barrel and then down from the clients view to make it right. I don't get it at all.
(03-17-2012, 01:16 PM)sobeit Wrote: I feel that way about a lot of nails that I see, even online. I dont want to offend anyone, but some need to take a serious detailed tour of how the nails should look when done by a "professional". I have had younger clients ( I don't take them anymore) in my past, that do not care how the nails look and want it cheap. I think to myself, fine, do a cheap looking job. But I have never been able to do it. I make them excellent. I cant help myself. hahaha. So yes, I don't understand the flat nails, the thick nails, the poor cuticle work, the product heaped on, the lumpy nails, the mis-shapen nails, the techs who don't look side to side, down the barrel and then down from the clients view to make it right. I don't get it at all.

I spent 3 years looking at nails on line, watching everything I could get my hands on. Watching anyone that would let me sit in with them BEFORE I went to school. I was shocked when I went to school and saw what they did NOT teach! I thank god for all I have learned online.
"To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I'm working on the foundation."
Marilyn Monroe
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000798439789
[/quote]

I spent 3 years looking at nails on line, watching everything I could get my hands on. Watching anyone that would let me sit in with them BEFORE I went to school. I was shocked when I went to school and saw what they did NOT teach! I thank god for all I have learned online.

[/quote]

I think they should double the price for license testing (both written and practical exam) and not require that you attend a school. No Refunds either! If you pass the test, you get the license, if not, then you don't. Three tries and then you have to attend some formal schooling before trying again.

My opinion is a lot of these schools are just a "for profit" education scheme that keeps the business of education afloat while not teaching much of anything skills wise. Safety and sanitation is important, but I believe that can be learned from book study or online.

The real useful skills education seems to come from experts already working in the field and workshops given by mfg that are specific to their product.

Just a thought.

I attended " nail school " in 1987 ,sadly it sounds like nothing has changed much since then . I remem ber how shocked my classmates were at the time ,that I actually was intetested in using my acrylic products that came in my kit...they were shocked even more so when I actually put a set on someone...I remember thinking ,well, um ,I get that no one is showing us how to do this ,but wouldn't trying it out at least teach you something? I thought even back then at the tender age of 19 that this school was a waste of money ,but I had to cross that barrier in order to pass boards and get a license. Since then experience has been my best teacher as well as common sence...I love what I do ,and every new thing that comes out ,I check it out ,see if it is a good fit for my business ,and pursue it and perfect it if it is. Nail tech was not a profession I got into as a lifelong career choice ,I just wanted to learn a trade and get myself through college ,well ,I am still a nail tech...love what I do ,never been unemployed or laid off ,and after all these years ,never wake up dredding that I have to go to work. My only regret is ,the standards and quality of work out there are so far out of proportion , that is is embarrassing sometimes...like when you say you do nails and you get the basic eye roll ,and then someone says , oh ...long silence.... Hate that....Sad

[/quote]

I think they should double the price for license testing (both written and practical exam) and not require that you attend a school. No Refunds either! If you pass the test, you get the license, if not, then you don't. Three tries and then you have to attend some formal schooling before trying again.

My opinion is a lot of these schools are just a "for profit" education scheme that keeps the business of education afloat while not teaching much of anything skills wise. Safety and sanitation is important, but I believe that can be learned from book study or on-line.

The real useful skills education seems to come from experts already working in the field and workshops given by mfg that are specific to their product.

Just a thought.

[/quote]

Nice Idea, however anyone can pass if they read enough. What needs to happen is the test should be about quality as well as knowledge. The more we speak out on sites like Facebook the more our friends and their friends and their friends friends will see what it should be like. Look how much Nail art has taken off with all the Youtube postings and facebook chatter. I think we need to all be posting "what good nail look like" On youtube Vs. BAD nails. that might start people thinking and looking.

I hear more and more people say they will NOT go to a chop shop ever again! Well not for nails but for Pedis, sure! Then I go on a rant about THAT lol. I tell everyone that will hold still! I also inform them that just because it is not a chop shop does not mean it will be a good job or any safer! Lets face it so many people out there are doing this for a fast Dime or easy job and don't give 2 shits (sorry) about the work they put out there.

I take photos of ALL my work then look at it later to see what I messed up. Then make a note for next time to watch for it. For a while it was not getting the Polish on the right side of the nail. Then it was the thickness of my nails. I think that it has helped me to look and improve.

"To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I'm working on the foundation."
Marilyn Monroe
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000798439789
You figured it out. You take 15 minutes longer than she does. In that 15 minutes you are doing some beautiful finishing work while she's just slapped on the top coat and sent them out the door with corn flake nails (love that analogy!) Sounds like you are worth every penny more, and then some Smile
Laura Merzetti
http://www.scratchmyback.ca
CND Education Ambassador
Toronto, Ontario Canada
Thank you for the kind words, Sceatchmyback....Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 4
Views: 2,603