You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clientele question
Currently I work as a mobile nail technician but I would really like to expand my services to waxing, facials and massages. I don't see myself operating as a mobile nail technician for much longer as I'm looking forward to operating from a stable place (hopefully in the near future). I have made connections with a very popular hairdressing salon in my area who has a room available to rent. This room will allow me the ability to do the extra services as well as nails. I am seriously considering her offer but my dream is to have a place to call my own. At the moment I really don't have the clientele that I would need to start off on my own but I was wondering exactly how much clients would I really need to take that step on my own, rather than having to booth rent. Right now I have approximately 15 very loyal clients but I know that is no where near enough to keep doors open. How much did u guys start off with?
The more services you offer, the more equipment and supplies you have to buy . . . and a fixed location generally requires more overhead. Too many variables to give you a definitive answer: how much is the rent? How much do you earn (net) from those 15 clients? Will they even come to your location, or do they prefer mobile services? etc. etc. etc.

We all start somewhere . . . but being the only manicurist in a busy salon could be a great place to be.
Jaime Schrabeck, Ph.D. (yes, it's real)
http://www.precisionnails.com
http://shop.precisionnails.com
This is a great starting point for you to get yourself into a salon environment.

Salon V's mobile is like chalk and cheese and I personally think it's a much better stepping stone to owning your own salon, if you rent a room/booth rent for a while.

You say your clients are loyal now but you always should take into account when you move like this (even though your not moving but your changing your business style) that you might lose 20% of those loyal customers as they might not wish to travel to you.

I agree, there are too many variables to give you any figures, it depends on everything pretty much and what YOU are happy to have as YOUR earnings every week.
For me, I'm lucky, I don't HAVE to work, I choose to work because it's what I love to do but because I have a home salon, my overheads are cheaper and because I have a lovely hubby who earns enough for our family to survive ok, I don't have to work if I don't want or can't.
But in saying all this, I still need a certain figure every month to meet expenses because no one runs a business for loss, it must run at profit or else you wouldn't bother getting out of bed everydaySmile It's just my expenses are not huge thanks to my situation.
The reason I have a home salon is because I have to also home school my teenage disabled daughter, so I need to be able to work around her as well.

I say go for it, just make sure the rent is reasonable for what you get and your area, do some research first of other salon rents in your area, ask here at BT if there are techs in your area what they are paying in your area etc....just because it's a nice salon and you are in with the owner doesn't mean she/he won't try to rip you off, so you must look into every avenue and keep yourself protected.

Good luck and keep us posted on your possible new ventureSmile
I went from booth rent (there for one year) and opened my own shop last March. I can give the highlights here of what my strategy was, but for more detail feel free to email me - I don't really want all my personal details on the web for all to see Smile

I didn't expand my service offerings like you want to do, but my goal when I opened my own place was to expand my retail from just lotions/nail items into a gift boutique so I could leverage my time with higher retail sales. This meant buying more furniture and investing in the retail lines, this is the bare bones of how I did it:

1) calculated my shop overhead (fixed costs): rent, utilities, annual licensing, insurance, reception (beverages, sweets, magazines), cleaning supplies, salon software, website fees, etc. anything that doesn't go away regardless of how much (or little) business you do.
2) looked at my existing client base and income- gross service receipts less hold-backs to replenish product, supplies, wear and tear on furn/equipment, a percentage to cc fees, percentage to advertising, percentage to loyalty program, and amount per service for continuing education. Subtracting out these various real cost leaves you with a net for how much of your service income actually is available to go to overhead.
3) I then compared these two numbers, overhead vs. net service receipts to determine whether I could cover expenses with my existing clientele.
4) once I determined all that I created my list of furn/equipment needed to move into my own place.
5) created another ever-growing list of things I want to add
6) ran a prepaid package promotion to generate enough instant revenue to cover most of the moving costs
7) since then, I returned most of my profits back to the business to expand my inventory and gradually add salon improvements
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
Thanks for the comments folks. Your responses make lots of sense. Candice I will email you shortly to get more insight.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 6
Views: 4,603
12-07-2012, 01:31 PM
Last Postpfct10nailzz
Replies: 9
Views: 12,043
10-09-2012, 10:09 PM