You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
BeautyTech.com

BeautyTech Main PageBeautyTech Main Page        BeautyTech ForumsBeautyTech Forums        Beautytech ShoppeBeautyTech Shoppe        CalendarVisit Nailtech.com        Like us on Facebook        Follow us on Twitter        Find us on Pinterest        View our videos on YouTube       
click THIS... win STUFF...click THIS... win STUFF...        SponsorsSponsors        NT Mailing List SponsorsNT Mailing List Sponsors        SearchFREE Salon Locator Listing        LINDLI Network Day       
FAQFAQ        ContactContact        SearchShoppe Search        SearchForum Search        Make Homepage

BeautyTech Dedicated to Educate and Decorate BeautyTech Home

BeautyTech Sponsors SPONSORS
BeautyTech Sponsors NT Mailing List Sponsors

CONTESTS
BeautyTech click THIS... win STUFF... click THIS/win STUFF
BeautyTech Strut Your STUFF Competition Strut Your Stuff

SHOPPING
BeautyTech Shoppe BeautyTech Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Swap & Shop
BeautyTech Shoppe Salon Posters
BeautyTech Shoppe Milady Publications
BeautyTech Shoppe NailTech Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Empower NailArt
BeautyTech Shoppe EZ Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Odyssey Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Valentino Air Filter
BeautyTech Shoppe Star Nail International
BeautyTech Shoppe Cuccio Naturale
BeautyTech Shoppe Cinapro Nail Art
BeautyTech Shoppe HairCentral

NETWORK
NailTech Connect @ BeautyTech Forums NailTech Connect
BeautyTech Forums Message Boards
NailTech Mailing list @ Google Groups Mailing List
BeautyTech Network Events Network Events

TOOLS
BeautyTech Search Shoppe Shoppe Search
BeautyTech Search Forum Forum Search
Search Business Builders
BeautyTech Professional Licensing Links Licensing Info
BeautyTech Calendar Calendar
BeautyTech.INFO FREE Salon Listing FREE Salon Listing
BeautyTech Photo Gallery Photo Gallery

EVERYTHING ELSE
Advertise @ BeautyTech Advertise
BeautyTech Contact Contact Us
BeautyTech Privacy Policy Privacy Policy

STAY INFORMED

ADVERTISEMENT

FEATURED AD

NailTech.com - Star Nail International, Odyddey Nail, HairCentral, Empower Nail Art

Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
SOGP base coat taking long time to come off
03-11-2012, 01:53 PM
 (Print Post)
SOGP base coat taking long time to come off
Hi,

The sogp is hold up extremely well, but its taking more time to get it off. I buff the top coat, wrap and let it sit for 15 minutes. Lately my sogp (base) has been very hard to remove.

One brand, the base is getting very low, but the same thing is happening with others brands which are fuller.

Any ideas as to what's happening with the base coat?

Enhance
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2012, 04:31 PM
 (Print Post)
RE: SOGP base coat taking long time to come off
Are you priming, using a thicker layer, adding layers like a fill instead of soaking each time, is your acetone cold? I don't know the brands that are taking longer for you now.
03-11-2012, 06:43 PM
 (Print Post)
>Are you priming, using a thicker layer, adding layers like a fill instead of soaking each time, is your acetone cold? I don't know the brands that are taking longer for you now.

Thanks for the thougts.

I only prime the very tip of the fe and I am very concious about not putting on a lot so it doesn't flow up the plate more than needed. I buff the top coat.

I'm beginning to suspect my base layer is thick because today as I remove a french (EOCC), after I wrapped and plastic gloved, I placted the finger tips in a bowl of warm sand. By the time I had returned to the right pinky to see what was happening (yeah I peaked), well the tc, pink, and white were curled up/off in one peice. The base was smooth and shiney.

I wrapped it up again (twice). When I began to push it off with my ow stick, some of it was still on very well. I wrapped them all again with the same cotton ball with a little more acetone. After that more came off, but there were shiney patches here and there on the nail plates.

I don't like to buff anything but had to knock the shine off and do my prep because I was falling behind.

I still was not stisfied with the way the base came off. I love EOCC, not gonna give it up because it wears so w e l l.

Me and Shellac parted ways about 10 months ago, I just got a dz Gelish colors and picked up a couple each of the newer IBD and EZ flow gp. The shop bought the OPI Gelcolor kit and a six more colors, but the only thing I liked was the light.

The light? Idea Now that I'm thinking about all this, I used the OPI LED light set at 30 secs. for each coat. My clients even set it on 30 sec. for me if someone else has changed the timer.

I know the base only needs 10 secs. Would that make that much of a difference in the base bonding so tightly?

Well I will see this week when I go back to a 10 sec. cure for the base. I will have to resort back to using my Harmony 4 finger cure light that has the 10 sec. setting.

Argh!Blush Sorry guys for answering my own post!

Enhance
03-11-2012, 07:31 PM
 (Print Post)
Heck yeah, over-curing the base. I didn't even suggest that, but yes that will make a difference in removal time.
03-12-2012, 12:54 AM
 (Print Post)
I doubt that curing a short time longer like 30 sec vs. 10 would cause it to bond so much more like that. Not like you had their hand in the light for 5 minutes. If you are using a really sheer color, as you cure each other layer, i'm sure some light is getting through to the base anyway, thus additional curing. Doug Schoon even talked about the overcuring thing on a Nailtalk radio episide not too long ago when he was on.

The only time I have ever had this happen was when experimenting with using different basecoats from my color coats - Like when I used Gelish base and top coat but an Orly Gel FX color. I bought one Orly color to try, but didn't want to buy the base/top just to try out one color. The color layers came right off in huge pieces, but the basecoat didn't come off and I had the same trouble trying to get it off.

Heart Gelishly
03-12-2012, 01:16 AM
 (Print Post)
I hate to say it, but yes, curing for an extra 20 seconds can make it harder. It's LED. That 20 sec is a full 2 cures longer for the product. It would be like leaving a 2 min base in the UV light for 6 min.
03-12-2012, 09:39 PM
 (Print Post)
(03-12-2012 01:16 AM)sobeit Wrote:  I hate to say it, but yes, curing for an extra 20 seconds can make it harder. It's LED. That 20 sec is a full 2 cures longer for the product. It would be like leaving a 2 min base in the UV light for 6 min.

So what happens to the base if you are doing a manicure with say, Gelish Simple Sheer, which is virtually clear? Light is obviously going to reach the basecoat as well.

Heart Gelishly
03-12-2012, 10:19 PM
 (Print Post)
It's still getting 3 full cure cycles for just the base. And over curing can make it more difficult to soak off. According to the troubleshooting of most companies. There is a reason for the times. It's no big deal to go over a little on the time. But it can make it harder to get off if your curing it @ 3 times the length. That's all. Please don't take me saying, "over curing can be the cause", as me saying, it is, without a doubt, the reason why. It's a thought. Over cure can be an issue. Is it "the" issue here? Don't know.
03-12-2012, 10:35 PM
 (Print Post)
(03-11-2012 06:43 PM)enhanced Wrote:  >Are you priming, using a thicker layer, adding layers like a fill instead of soaking each time, is your acetone cold? I don't know the brands that are taking longer for you now.

Thanks for the thougts.

I only prime the very tip of the fe and I am very concious about not putting on a lot so it doesn't flow up the plate more than needed. I buff the top coat.

Well, I can say for Gelish, that over curing the base will increase the soak time, but not that much.

What I think may be happening is when you apply your (non-acid?) primer on the free edge, you are working the primer on the whole nail when you apply the base coat. If you start your application by sealing the free edge, you can achieve the same thing with out increasing the adhesion so much that you have problems removing.

Can you maybe try omitting primer on your more 'easy wearing' clients?

http://www.JesseDavidNailDesign.com
Wilmington, DE
03-15-2012, 07:39 PM
 (Print Post)
Hi Jesse

I will try to omit the primer on some and seal the free edge on other to see what works.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Enhance
03-15-2012, 10:10 PM
 (Print Post)
(03-15-2012 07:39 PM)enhanced Wrote:  Hi Jesse

I will try to omit the primer on some and seal the free edge on other to see what works.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Enhance

No, omit the primer on some, and seal the free edge (with Foundation, at least one color coat and top coat) on everyone. To make removal easier, shorten the free edge a little before you wrap to break the seal.

http://www.JesseDavidNailDesign.com
Wilmington, DE
03-19-2012, 10:44 AM
 (Print Post)
Thanks again, I appreciate your input Jesse!
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Average time for GP lexibunny 6 1,508 08-06-2014 10:53 AM
Last Post: plumgirl
  OPI glitter polish base coat catblue 0 300 06-11-2014 06:07 AM
Last Post: catblue
  IBD Base and Top Coat Soak Off Polish kspeth 2 653 03-19-2014 06:51 AM
Last Post: lovethosetoes
  Using just gelish base and top for clear nails sillysoup 4 993 03-12-2014 07:37 PM
Last Post: AnnAnn
  SOG base coat + acrylic powder eleonora 9 1,336 03-09-2014 06:23 PM
Last Post: AnnAnn
  Time to raise the rent! Opinions please. nailjunky 4 1,262 02-06-2014 08:25 AM
Last Post: Pensad
  need help from long time gel users mountainprairie 6 805 01-08-2014 12:10 PM
Last Post: lovethosetoes
Exclamation Nail Talk Radio: Taking Care of Taxes and Handling The Affordable Care Act NTR_Braden 0 507 01-02-2014 04:13 PM
Last Post: NTR_Braden
  Powerful and Time Efficient Light That Cures Most Gels trinh.nailsuperstore 0 489 12-18-2013 10:07 PM
Last Post: trinh.nailsuperstore
  Taking product cost out of commisson TaraMontgomery 6 1,216 11-08-2013 12:02 AM
Last Post: CluuryMcFluury