You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I wanted to do my nails at the dentist -- a history lesson
Ok so maybe I can't. I really wanted to. I have been braced for 2 months now and had my first adjustment the other day and I noticed they use alot of the same implements as we do, ours came from theirs, so the assistant used cuticle nippers to clip my wire. She left them laying next to me and I really wanted to clip my hang nail while I was waiting for the Ortho to take a look at my teeth. I wonder what they call their implements, do they maybe call it nippers and we added the cuticle? Like when she was priming my teeth right before they cemented the bracket on each tooth I swear it smelled just like monomer. Just wanted to share my thoughts.
Wife of 12 years, mother of 1, manicurist of 10 years. Discovered Beauty Tech community in '99 and have been addicted ever since!
LOL I can just see the ortho walking in as you're nipping your hangnails with his nippers.

Not sure what they call them. Kinda interesting though. I haven't had braces for the better part of 20 years so I can't remember much about what they used.
Michele
ORTHODONIC PRODUCTS INCORPORATED -

or otherwise known as - OPI!!!!
that is too funny, isnt that where mma came from
Kathie Kirkpatrick get a grip on reality and choke it to death
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and
well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally
worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
I know just what you mean! I had a heap of work done on my teeth last year and I swear it smelt just like a nail salon, lol.
Shellie
Mumma to a gorgeous girl, getting back into nails after a 2yr break.
Just as a side note to this thread, I went to ebay and bought a set of stainless steel dental instruments for use during pedis. I don't have a clue what each one is used for or called, but they work great for getting into little nooks and crannys on toes, especially under and around the big toe. I paid $3 for the tools and $3 for shipping and got 4 tools. Three I could use and the other I gave to hubby for gun smithing work. Big Grin
I work for a dentist for 15 years and made all his temporary crowns and bridges - out of acrylic.....
The acrylic they use at the dental office is in fact MMA based. Also, prosthetic eyes are made from acrylic and it is the acrylic that has MMA in it. They cure them in a pressure/heat type machine and this makes it safe for the person needing the prosthesis. It is very interesting that is for sure...
CJ
Rose...I have been approached a couple times to make these as well...what did you think of it???
Is this a chicken before the egg question? hehe I believe that before nails there was dental acrylic. Like the earlier post said, OPI's owner named it after a company he used to work for. And over the years they found that the MMA in the dental acrylic was the danger ingredient. It is safe when cured properly for the teeth. Eyeballs? didn't know that one! Cool!

Teresa
CND Certified Master Nail Professional
http://www.teesnailnv.com
Always eager to learn, and love staying current!
"Why put off to tomorrow what you can do today?"
Rose...I have been approached a couple times to make these as well...what did you think of it???
okay this is wierd I didnt even return to this post till i saw myself as the last poster and my last post is reposted....STRANGE

Is this what happened to you Tee?
Yuppers!
Always eager to learn, and love staying current!
"Why put off to tomorrow what you can do today?"
Rose, that is so cool, did you have to go to school to do that like be a dental hygenist or something? I thought the person who made the impressions had a cool job. I guess if I ever wanted a career change the ortho's office would feel like home. :lol:
Wife of 12 years, mother of 1, manicurist of 10 years. Discovered Beauty Tech community in '99 and have been addicted ever since!
kailiek :
> that is too funny, isnt that where mma came from

Yep that is exactly correct.. MMA is the system used to make crowns and dentures along with so many other products we use every day.. the founder of Creative was a dentist.. and OPI was in the dental industry before they started to manufacture for the nail industry.. that's no joke Smile That was the original company name that just would not fly when selling to the beauty industry, so they changed the name to simply OPI
Regards,
Debbie webmaster - admin
BeautyTech.com Feed Your Nail Addiction
NailTech.com shop smart, brand name professional products for professional results

if I am not mistaken the efile also came from dental use. only it was called drill lol
so deb that is interesting, when did opi take out the mma and change it do you know, were they still using it with mma for a while.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and
well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally
If I'm not mistaken...OPI was mma back in the 70's early 80's? Is this right Deb?
Also, there is a definate "different" smell for acrylic that has MMA in it. If you visit an Ocularist's office (this is the actual place where eye prosthetics are custom made) you will smell it as soon as you walk in the door.
I am so not sure of the time frame that OPI went from the original MMA formula everyone was using back then, 60'-70's maybe even early 80's maybe Doug Schoon or Paul Bryson (the chemist from OPI) can tell me.. I'll email them both.. oh maybe its in the history of nail care that NAILS Mag puts out.. I'll find out tho
Regards,
Debbie webmaster - admin
NailTech.com shop smart, brand name professional products for professional results

Response from Paul Bryson @ OPI

The observations that the techs have made regarding the similarity between
nail acrylics and dental acrylics are right on target. Dental acrylics are
in fact the ancestors of the nail acrylics. OPI stands for "Odontorium
Products Inc", which was the original name of the company back in its
dental days. My Latin is a bit rusty but I think that "Odontorium" means
"house of teeth" or something to that effect. The owner, George Schaeffer,
learned that nailtechs were purchasing his dental liquids and powders to
make nails, so he hired a chemist, Eric Montgomery, to create a nail-safe
formula based on EMA. (OPI nails were "No MMA" from day one.) The
original 1981 EMA formula. L-2000 liquid, is still a good seller. As the
nail business took off, the dental side of the operation slowly faded away.

Long before I worked for OPI, I worked for Dr. Henry Lee over at Lee
Pharmaceuticals, which was also a dental products company that branched
into nails. The famous home acrylic nail kits, "Lee Nails", were a spinoff
of Dr. Lee's dental chemistry work; the equally famous Lee press-ons were a
sideline that was added to the product lineup later, after Dr. Lee and his
wife saw the potential of the nail business. (By contrast, when George &
Suzi decided to add a sideline to the OPI acrylic nail business, they chose
nail polish, instead.... and we all know how that turned out!)

UV curing nail gels are also descended from UV cured dental restoratives;
if you've ever had the dentist fill a cavity with a paste and then put a
purple light in your mouth to harden it, that's the same technology and
very similar chemistry as UV cured nails.

Doug can elaborate more on the history of Creative, but it's my
understanding that it was also spawned by the dental industry, as was NSI.
In fact, if the folklore I hear is correct, it was a dentist named Dr.
Slack who, in 1947, used dental acrylic to repair his own split fingernail.
You might want to contact NSI to verify that story though.

Paul
Email: [email protected]
(818) 759-2400 x422
(800) 341-9999 x422
(818) 759-5776 FAX
Regards,
Debbie webmaster - admin

ask and ye shall recieve.....thanks deb very interesting
Nancy
I used to work for an orthodontist and you're right, a lot of the tools look the same! The cutter you described is basically called a "wire cutter" (go figure). To remove the glue from the teeth, the drill bits look like the ones I use to clean under the nail and they also used the little football shaped ones to do some "shining" up after the braces were removed. I dont remember the primer smelling like monomer but it does have a very strong odor to it (almost made one lady pass out once!).
So that's what OPI stands for "Odontorium
Products Inc". Interesting....
Does anyone know what is used for the teeth impressions?