You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pedi spa cleaning...again.
I went to work last week at a great salon, and am very happy there. Everyone is great. I have known some of the girls for a while so that helped. The owner and I are sharing her pedi spa. I went over my cleaning method with her and she said it was fine. Another lady owns her own pedis spa and uses it 3-4 times a month. As I was finishing up and cleaning Saturday, she came into the pedi room. I had filled the tub and was going after the bleach. She told me just to use the Clorox Surface cleaner. OK " How much do you add?( thinking it would take the entire bottle...) She replys just a couple squirts. I was dumbfounded! To begin with I don't think that is strong enough to kill anything in a tub of water in a spa tub. This lady is kind of the "salon mother" and someone I have known a long time. She tries to run things and does for the most part. The owner jokingly told me she bought a salon for ________, not herself. I plan on doing it my way from now on because I feel more comfortable cleaning it- clean tub and fill with very warm to hot water, add 1 cup bleach, run jets for 10 minutes, drain, run clean water and run thru to get bleach out of the jets, drain and flush jets to be sure all bleach is out.
Input please?
Always be kind....you get farther.
I have used clorox surface cleaner to wipe things down, like the chair where clients sit, the table where they set their coffee and magazines but I stick to straight up bleach for the pedi tub. Hold your ground and do what you feel most comfortable with, you want to be able to tell your clients with confidence that things are clean.
Summer
(02-20-2012, 05:31 PM)Tn Nail Lady Wrote: I plan on doing it my way from now on because I feel more comfortable cleaning it- clean tub and fill with very warm to hot water, add 1 cup bleach, run jets for 10 minutes, drain, run clean water and run thru to get bleach out of the jets, drain and flush jets to be sure all bleach is out.
Input please?

This is perfect! I think if you run the Clorox Clean up (or surface cleaner) through the jets, it would make alot of bubbles, hence 'just a squirt'

Make sure to inform your clients that this is the proper procedure between every service as well.
I'm confused about bleach being used to clean a pedi spa... in Washington the law reads:

"The spa basin must be disinfected with an EPA-registered hospital grade disinfectant with demonstrated bactericidal, fungicidal, and virucidal activity, which must be used according to manufacturer's instructions."

I didn't think bleach qualified... but I'm not sure as I use a Footsie Bath. Tongue However a nurse told me that hot water destroys the efficiency of bleach, so I Googled it - check out item 3 of the link to the department of health below

http://www.info.gov.hk/info/sars/en/useofbleach.htm

Whether or not bleach is the correct cleaner (I'm really not sure), stick to your guns on doing it the right way!
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
I personally always use the pedi cleaner recommended by the manufacturer first run then cold water and bleach thru. The reason to use bleach is bio-film this is the nasty build up that comes from body oils and skin flakes that builds up inside the pipes, i do it every time because the thought of it grosses me out. Also I don't know about the hot water making the bleach less effective but it can create a noxious steam cloud that can nearly choke you to death especially after you turn on the jets and let it run a while, speaking from personal experience.
Summer
According to the Clorox website, Regular Clorox kills bacteria,staph, salmonella choleraesius, pseudomonas aeruginosa, strep, E. coli, shigella dysenteriae, MRSA, fungi, trichophyton mentagrophytes, candida albicans, viruses, rhinovirus typer 17, influenza A, hepatitus A, rotavirus, RSV, HIV-1, herpes simplex type2, rubella, and adenovirus type 2. Some of these- I don't even know what they are, but I do know that it covers the things listed on my Tammy Taylor 1st Choice Disinfectant that I use for cleaning everything I use in the salon. Think I will call SB tomorrow. I want to KNOW that my clients are protected.
Always be kind....you get farther.
http://www.epa.gov/oppad001/list_b_tuberculocide.pdf

^^ That's the list of EPA tuberculocidal disinfectants. Clorox bleach is on the list, as are a bunch of their spray products. Look for the EPA registration number on the bottle and compare it to the list - sometimes the names are different on the list from exactly what the label says.
If anyone would like a copy of the Nail Manufacturer Council's written protocol on how to clean a pedi spa, that is in compliant with every state board's protocol, e mail me at: [email protected] and I will e mail it to you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 3
Views: 2,268
03-12-2014, 09:46 PM
Last Postsillysoup
Replies: 0
Views: 1,854
07-29-2013, 02:10 PM