You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
BeautyTech.com

BeautyTech Main PageBeautyTech Main Page        BeautyTech ForumsBeautyTech Forums        Beautytech ShoppeBeautyTech Shoppe        CalendarVisit Nailtech.com        Like us on Facebook        Follow us on Twitter        Find us on Pinterest        View our videos on YouTube       
click THIS... win STUFF...click THIS... win STUFF...        SponsorsSponsors        NT Mailing List SponsorsNT Mailing List Sponsors        SearchFREE Salon Locator Listing        LINDLI Network Day       
FAQFAQ        ContactContact        SearchShoppe Search        SearchForum Search        Make Homepage

BeautyTech Dedicated to Educate and Decorate BeautyTech Home

BeautyTech Sponsors SPONSORS
BeautyTech Sponsors NT Mailing List Sponsors

CONTESTS
BeautyTech click THIS... win STUFF... click THIS/win STUFF
BeautyTech Strut Your STUFF Competition Strut Your Stuff

SHOPPING
BeautyTech Shoppe BeautyTech Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Swap & Shop
BeautyTech Shoppe Salon Posters
BeautyTech Shoppe Milady Publications
BeautyTech Shoppe NailTech Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Empower NailArt
BeautyTech Shoppe EZ Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Odyssey Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Valentino Air Filter
BeautyTech Shoppe Star Nail International
BeautyTech Shoppe Cuccio Naturale
BeautyTech Shoppe Cinapro Nail Art
BeautyTech Shoppe HairCentral

NETWORK
NailTech Connect @ BeautyTech Forums NailTech Connect
BeautyTech Forums Message Boards
NailTech Mailing list @ Google Groups Mailing List
BeautyTech Network Events Network Events

TOOLS
BeautyTech Search Shoppe Shoppe Search
BeautyTech Search Forum Forum Search
Search Business Builders
BeautyTech Professional Licensing Links Licensing Info
BeautyTech Calendar Calendar
BeautyTech.INFO FREE Salon Listing FREE Salon Listing
BeautyTech Photo Gallery Photo Gallery

EVERYTHING ELSE
Advertise @ BeautyTech Advertise
BeautyTech Contact Contact Us
BeautyTech Privacy Policy Privacy Policy

STAY INFORMED

ADVERTISEMENT

FEATURED AD

NailTech.com - Star Nail International, Odyddey Nail, HairCentral, Empower Nail Art

Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Virginia, Charlottesville area Nail Techs, Advice Needed
02-10-2012, 01:15 AM
 (Print Post)
Virginia, Charlottesville area Nail Techs, Advice Needed
Hello. To make a short story long.... I am contemplating a move to the Charlottesville area. The idea of a cross-country move is daunting to say the least. So I guess in sense, what I'm asking for is your thoughts on the nail industry as it pertains to your area.

Are salons doing primarily natural nails? acrylics? gels? Do you see the industry holding steady? Improving?

I have been a salon owner and booth renter for 23 years specializing in acrylic nails and now the new gel polish manicures. I have stopped taking new enhancement clients due to my significant arthritis hand pain.

Is there any information I should be aware of regarding this area in Virginia. Do you have any recommendations? I am the type of person to try to arm myself with as much information as possible before making final decision and plans.

Thanks in advance for all your help, advice and opinions.

Terri Lancaster
Nails By Design
253-350-2591

SPREAD VICIOUS GLEE!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2012, 01:42 AM
 (Print Post)
RE: Virginia, Charlottesville area Nail Techs, Advice Needed
bump bump bump

Terri Lancaster
Nails By Design
253-350-2591

SPREAD VICIOUS GLEE!
02-11-2012, 01:35 PM
 (Print Post)
Hello! WOW, that will be quite the cross-country move for ya...

Since nobody else has replied, I'll chip in a little. I live outside of Richmond, VA, but have family that live maybe 20mins outside of Charlottesville, VA and go out there for holidays. I've really never spent much time in Charlottesville itself, but here's my 2 cents!

Charlottesville, for the most part, is the wealthy part of that whole country area. Outside of Charlottesville there really isn't much going on (lots of land, cows, vineyards, and horses), and the town itself isn't huge. There are also two colleges in the area, UVA and ODU, which are pretty large, so you'll have college kids and wealthy adults in the area. I'm going out on a limb here, but I also think there are a number of bed-and-breakfasts. It's a very beautiful area, but like I said, directly out of Charlottesville there really isn't a lot happening. There are a few celebrities who live or have houses near Charlottesville, which is kind of cool Smile.

Side note: Virginians are terrible at handling snow. We don't have enough equipment to handle it, because we usually don't get much, so when we do get it everything shuts down. Where I live, we hardly get any, but Charlottesville is guaranteed snow at least a few times in the winter. This year has been incredibly mild, but let me put it this way: if we get a foot and a half of snow in Richmond, we're shut down for a few days, whereas Charlottesville will get at least double that, and since it's country it takes a while for it all to clear up. Could be very frustrating from a business standpoint!

I really can't speak on the nail industry there, unfortunately, but hopefully the demographics will help you a bit...I hope someone from the area can reply for ya!
Find all posts by this user
02-11-2012, 09:13 PM
 (Print Post)
Thank you so much Trina.... Yes indeed it would be a big move. And I appreciate you taking the time to give me such valuable information. I'll put in my research folder. You're a gem! If I can ever return the favor... just ask!

Terri Lancaster
Nails By Design
253-350-2591

SPREAD VICIOUS GLEE!
02-16-2012, 11:39 PM
 (Print Post)
Terri, I dont know much about that area.. We own a place on the other side of the state in the mountains.. I am gathering that is on the coast side. Oh I see now, its more central state.. about 3 hours NNE of where I am. I bet its pretty up there also.. foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.. I will tell you that getting my license here was the easiet thing I ever did.. emailed both NY & VA who replied back with forms and instructions.. I did what they said and by the time we came back my license was here..

I will also say that my area of VA has very low taxes.. the govt seems to do far more with far less.. everything across the state is well kept and maintained.. the state and local PD are SEROIUS about maitaining order (read: do not speed in VA, first hand knowledge!! hubby - not me!)

I am in the country.. population 5k, these are country folk, farms, cows all that.. BUT everyone that I have met have their toes done.. not always hands.. but their toes are always done.. and either they are fairly well-to-do or scraping by.. but still want to look nice..

When we were looking, I also did major research.. compared nearby towns with a tool at forsalebypwner.com that I think is either not there or changed.. but I could see tax, crime, per capita, weather comparisons.. an amazing tool for us..

Regards,
Debbie webmaster - admin
BeautyTech.com Feed Your Nail Addiction
NailTech.com shop smart, brand name professional products for professional results

[Image: win_stuff.gif]
02-17-2012, 12:31 AM
 (Print Post)
Thanks Deb... I love arming myself with more info.
Hugs!

Terri Lancaster
Nails By Design
253-350-2591

SPREAD VICIOUS GLEE!
02-17-2012, 02:59 PM
 (Print Post)
(02-17-2012 12:31 AM)Gr8Nailz Wrote:  Thanks Deb... I love arming myself with more info.
Hugs!

Terri, you are welcome to email me private if you want to pick my brain further Smile

Also.. sometime in the next 2 years I will be looking into doing a networking day here too.. but not until we are here full time which should be latest Jan 2014

Regards,
Debbie webmaster - admin
BeautyTech.com Feed Your Nail Addiction
NailTech.com shop smart, brand name professional products for professional results

[Image: win_stuff.gif]
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Job Opportunity for Metro NYC Nail Techs at New Saks Fifth Avenue Nail Bar BeautyTech.com 0 1,932 10-06-2014 03:07 PM
Last Post: BeautyTech.com
  Need Nail tech in Mishawaka/Elkhart/South Bend Indiana area talonails 0 1,298 09-03-2014 09:57 AM
Last Post: talonails
  Nail tech continuing ed hours in Illinois-Chicagoland area. Nurse nail tech 0 1,591 09-01-2014 10:05 AM
Last Post: Nurse nail tech
Rainbow Nail Talk Radio: Empower(ing) Nail Techs NTR_Braden 0 599 04-29-2014 09:19 PM
Last Post: NTR_Braden
  advise from all you nail techs barbc 5 775 02-14-2014 06:20 AM
Last Post: barbc
  Any nail techs in Winnipeg Canada?? AlaskaLiz 0 459 12-22-2013 12:56 AM
Last Post: AlaskaLiz
  need advice to get started to be nail tech ! please sw123 4 1,235 12-21-2013 01:44 AM
Last Post: Gr8Nailz
  Nail drill advice?/ The Nail Room 1 756 12-12-2013 08:55 AM
Last Post: lovethosetoes
  I just opened a new nail salon and can't find nail techs! HELP Shabby2ChicNailandWaxBoutique 7 1,883 11-01-2013 04:59 PM
Last Post: PrecisionNails
  Owners/techs needed for Nailpro story sgmills 0 492 11-01-2013 04:54 PM
Last Post: sgmills