You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fungus and vicks vapor rub and another question.. :)
hi there....

had a client come in and she has a fungus in her nail.. she wants to use vicks vapor rub..but wants to know if it ruins the polish.. i have heard about this but dont know about the polish.. thoughts??

also.. i have a client who's an acrylic client who wears the opi gel color/shellac... one the appt that she needs a 'fill'.. i file it off and reapply... my charge is 35.. two weeks later i have to add acrylic or gel and add an extra 10..... is that enough or not enough ?? i know area indicated price but........
TIA...
I'm still a student, but it seems like having good-looking polish needs to take a backseat and the focus should be the treatment of the fungus, if you're sure that's what it is. It won't matter how the polish looks if her fingernail is no longer attached to her finger.
RE: Fungus

I am sure you know that you should not be working on anyone with fungal infection and hope that she was asking for advise and you were not polishing her nails. I have always been taught that we refer clients to an MD for the treatment of a fungal infections and be done with the whole thing. I would not agree to to the Vicks home remedy, and I am not even sure polish is a good idea due to fungus breeding in dark moist places.

RE: Gel polish
I am up-charging my Shellac services about $10 per service. But I would love to hear other thoughts on this as I am not sure if that is enough...
thank you for your advice... i have been a nail tech for 12 years and i don't live in a perfect world.. so sometimes you see clients with fungus...

i have read other threads than support the VVR...

yes.. i have also heard that 10 is a good number to add... thx...
Perfect world or not, you do not work on fungal toes. You also don't diagnose fungal toes. she a proper diagnosis.

I have a toes issue that I saw a podiatrist for. He is not a believer in the meds due to the fact that they are so hard on the liver. I was not thrilled with his suggestion to remove the nail and discussed trying a topical first.

I have been using the Nubar Anti Fugal Solution twice a day since the end of October. It is no longer growing larger and is actually growing out. There are several professional products you could retail her to try. I have never had an issue before so this is my first experience but it looks to be under control and growing out. Our pro products have different active ingredients to fight it then vicks.
Ellen Torchia
Owner Too Much Fun
President SB&S Graphics, Inc
Replicator Graphics

Former Top 10 Competitor

"A mind once stretched by the imagination never regains it's original form."
http://files.nailsmag.com/Market-Researc...prints.pdf

Here are the industry statistics for 2010-2011 from the Nails Magazine website, you've probably already seen it, but I found it to be really interesting.

Looks like the overall industry average for soak-off gel polish is $28.68, basic mani average is $18.79 if that puts anything into perspective.
I don't think any of us live in a perfect world. This is why precautions are made. Some techs choose to ignore the ramifications of working of clients with skin or nail issues. I choose to not. Once the feet are evaluated then I proceed accordingly. If an 'possible' health issue exist, I refer to a doctor and require a note from their doctor before I will service them again. I don't think skin and nail issues are taken seriously enough in this industry. But all it takes is just one client to 'claim' their issues came from you and then require all their meds paid by you and or worse - make it a legal issue. All of this because there is no perfect world.
Anna
tnx lizzie.. that's what i thought.... Smile
[quote='wldhrtd1' pid='15986' dateline='1328458808']
thank you for your advice... i have been a nail tech for 12 years and i don't live in a perfect world.. so sometimes you see clients with fungus...

I have also had people come in with fungus and were told point blank that need them to see a doctor. One was so bad that she had transferred the infection to the rest of her family (husband and two teenage girls). That is the reason why I take this so seriously.

My client consultation form specifically asks about nail infections to weed people out, but if someone sits down in my pedi chair I check their feet before they soak. Perfect world or not....it is my license and my reputation. I know other salons will work on clients like this, but it is just bad practice.
Hello,

I"ve read this home remedy cure for toe nail fungus many time here at BT.

I finally went to vicks.com to find an answer.

Check it out:

http://www.vicks.com/faq/

Is Vicks VapoRub® safe to use for toenail fungus?"

Vicks VapoRub can be used for the treatment of cough associated with the common cold. It also can temporarily relieve minor aches and pains associated with aching muscles. We haven't tested, nor has the FDA approved, Vicks VapoRub as a toenail fungus treatment. Therefore, we do not recommend it for treatment of toenail fungus.

Enhance
Interestingly, if you are going to not service a client... because you have "diagnosed" they have nail fungus? That creates a dichotomy doesn't it. We can't diagnose medical conditions.
In the past I have advised a client to see a doctor because they had a separation or discoloration under a nail, had them pay for the visit, scraping and lab work and had the doc tell them it is not fungus but an old injury causing damage to the nail growth. Often the separations come and go, heal and return.

Vicks is safe but I don't think it likely to help with a real fungus problem.
I had a client who had thick nails with a thicken nail bed, they sat up about 1/4 inch. He had been a pro basketball player, this kind of nail is often seen when the toes take a lot of abuse. He read a Times medical column that Vicks would help this. It did.
I've seen a few clients clear up peeling skin and other mild problems with Vicks. Often dandruff shampoos is used for mild fungus (a doctor I worked for used to recommend it). They don't hurt but they may not help. The point many are making is, we are not doctors but conversely, we cannot tell a client they have fungus. We can point out something unusual and advise a medical consultation.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 1
Views: 1,344
04-06-2014, 10:06 PM
Last Postsillysoup
Replies: 8
Views: 5,068
10-02-2013, 11:26 AM