You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you give away or charge
Sad 
for doing nails when you are trying to get your name out there. I really do not have any friends to do them on, I am at a lost on how to get out there. I live in a small town.
Monique_AL
maybe do a manicure party night where its a basic mani regular polish and advertise in the local high school paper. or let them come in and look around and play with some magnetic polish like a free tutorial night. give tips and chat and something fun like a door prize for people that book an appointment make like cuticle oil and homemade sugar scrub for the prizes
Mitchele Sheree Hunt
CND Master Painter
http://mitchelesheree.blogspot.com/
I have a client who works at a grocery store as a cashier. She's always getting people asking her 'who does your nails?' If you can, recruit one to do an amazing set of nails on, hand her some of your business cards to pass out and hopefully you'll get some business from her referrals. Bank tellers are also good advertisers.
It may be worth it to do them for free, but you be the judge.
I have one girl that works at a grocery store, one very popular high school girl, my best friend that works in an office and my mom that is very social amongst the ladies her age. I do each of them for free. My sister occasionally, and I would never charge my family. The girl that works in the grocery store and the best friend both buy their own pot of gel. The one in the grocery store is a little bit slow, but she folds my towells and stuff while she is there too. My best friend buys me nail art and stuff for the shop and buys my supper afterwards. The high school girl I don't charge at all, but she gives me a $5 tip and she has the most beautiful nail beds in the world and I would gladly pay her to do them. I do have another girl that I do and she cleans my offices. They each always have a stack of business cards and they flash their nails and hand out cards. All I am giving away is my time and a little product. I have lots of time. I am investing in my future. I do insist that they all have flashy nails. I will only do a basic french on them once or twice per year. Every McNails around here can do a good looking french, usually better than mine. I will do colored french. I do that a lot.

It gives me practice. When the girl is out of high school I won't do her for free. The slow girl, I will always do for free. She is a daughter of a friend and special. My life is about service, so this is one way to give back.

Brenda
Brenda
Electrologist 30
Nail tech 3 years
Fairytale Nails (Bring on the bling)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Brenda-Loc...1768602978
Just a few ides to help!

~Every time you make a bank deposit, put your business cards in with it and a coupon for a special.

~Every time you eat out, put your business card in the receipt book with a coupon for a monthly special or leave some with the cashier and a few coupons for a monthly special.

~Ask someone who does in-home parties (Tupperware, AtHome America, Pampered Chef, whatever) if you could do her nails first time for free as long as she tells people who does them (if asked) and passes out your card and talks you up. Then bling her nails so people take notice. Also, let her know to tell people what you do for everyone (manis, pedis, more conservative nails) so they know you do more than bling out nails. If she wants more conservative nails, make sure she tells people. When she comes for a fill, give her $2 off for each new and paid client she's sent. If she doesn't send any, charge her full price. I bet she won't mind! This tip got me a lot of clients!

~Take pictures, post on Facebook and ask anyone and everyone in your area to be your friend and pass the pics around.

~No matter who is in your chair or if you're answering questions for anybody, make sure you tell them your sanitation and disinfecting procedures and why they are better than any one else's in town. You don't have to talk down another salon, but make sure you tell everyone that you take your procedures to another level and why. Your client will automatically tell everyone she knows about you!

~Contact schools, hospitals, hotels, banks, lawyer offices-anyplace that employs women who show their hands a lot and talk to their human resource people. Ask them if they have an employee appreciation program. If they do tell them that you'd be interested in donating gift certificates for employee rewards (make them for $10 to $15 dollars, not a free service). Go to the place of business and hand deliver the gift certificates (in an envelope with your business card and a brochure if you have one) and introduce yourself when you deliver them. Be dressed impeccably and professionally with perfect nails. Thank them.

~Go through the phone book, get addresses of as many places of business as you can and send them a letter of introduction with pictures, your price list and a coupon (or two or 3) for a monthly special (like $10 off your first full set or $5 off a fill if they book and pay for their next appointment). I've done this and sent out 50 letters (I live in a small town) and reached my target market for about $20. I got at least 5 new clients from the mailing.

Hi Monique,

I am a student and I don't have much friends or family to practice on so I started a facebook page and ask friends to share my work that I post in order for their friends to see it. That may be a good beginning. I also do one person at my mom's job which pulled in a couple of more people. In my neighborhood there are plenty of pop up markets (when the weather is nice) so I was thinking about renting a table and offering 15 minute cures or maybe some nail art. Last, I have let some neighborhood stylist know that I am available for 1 free service. They seem interested so I'll see how that will work. You'll just have to think of quirky ways to market yourself.
NY Licensed Nail + Waxing Tech
Owner/Developer Suite Tee
http://www.Facebook.com/TashawnaH
Instagram: @SuiteTee
Ya im bad at this, i give my nail art with the service even if its 3D nail art i dont charge for it. I know bad bad bad but times are hard for everyone right now & I guess i love to do it, my clients tip me big when i do it though... =]]
Thanks everyone I am going out and about today to see if I can get some of the cashiers and bank tellers and drop off some cards too Thank you for the info I would not have thought of them
Monique_AL
(01-30-2012, 11:34 PM)harmonysky Wrote: Just a few ides to help!

~Every time you make a bank deposit, put your business cards in with it and a coupon for a special.

~Every time you eat out, put your business card in the receipt book with a coupon for a monthly special or leave some with the cashier and a few coupons for a monthly special.

~Ask someone who does in-home parties (Tupperware, AtHome America, Pampered Chef, whatever) if you could do her nails first time for free as long as she tells people who does them (if asked) and passes out your card and talks you up. Then bling her nails so people take notice. Also, let her know to tell people what you do for everyone (manis, pedis, more conservative nails) so they know you do more than bling out nails. If she wants more conservative nails, make sure she tells people. When she comes for a fill, give her $2 off for each new and paid client she's sent. If she doesn't send any, charge her full price. I bet she won't mind! This tip got me a lot of clients!

~Take pictures, post on Facebook and ask anyone and everyone in your area to be your friend and pass the pics around.

~No matter who is in your chair or if you're answering questions for anybody, make sure you tell them your sanitation and disinfecting procedures and why they are better than any one else's in town. You don't have to talk down another salon, but make sure you tell everyone that you take your procedures to another level and why. Your client will automatically tell everyone she knows about you!

~Contact schools, hospitals, hotels, banks, lawyer offices-anyplace that employs women who show their hands a lot and talk to their human resource people. Ask them if they have an employee appreciation program. If they do tell them that you'd be interested in donating gift certificates for employee rewards (make them for $10 to $15 dollars, not a free service). Go to the place of business and hand deliver the gift certificates (in an envelope with your business card and a brochure if you have one) and introduce yourself when you deliver them. Be dressed impeccably and professionally with perfect nails. Thank them.

~Go through the phone book, get addresses of as many places of business as you can and send them a letter of introduction with pictures, your price list and a coupon (or two or 3) for a monthly special (like $10 off your first full set or $5 off a fill if they book and pay for their next appointment). I've done this and sent out 50 letters (I live in a small town) and reached my target market for about $20. I got at least 5 new clients from the mailing.

Harmonysky, thank you for these ideas. I will try them out.
Brenda

Brenda
Electrologist 30
Nail tech 3 years

I had one girl I did it for her free, but as soon as I graduated I told her I was going to charge her 50% off of my services if she passed the word, she said yes, and made an appointment for the next day but she never showed up, oh well.

When I was s student I was doing all nail art for free, sometimes they tipped me well, others not even a thank you.

Has it ever happened to you that you offer some nail art, and they got excited and said yes!! Do whatever you like, and then you say well it"s going to cost this, you see their faces changing like the grinch lol, and they say oh no!? maybe not today lol!.

I charge a little for nail art, like .50 per nail so still they pay for my work, that way I don't feel they are taking advantage.

I love Harmonisky tips, thank you!
Print up business cards that invite new customers and offer a special deal for the those spreading your name. Print your contact information on the front and the following message on the back.

Share this card with a friend. Simply sign your name on the card and they will recieve a ??% discount when they present this card at their first appointment. Then, at your next appointment, you will also receive a ??% discount on your service. Thanks so much for your help.

Post a notice on your wall reminding them to check to see if they have a discount waiting for them. This will remind them of the offer, make them responsible for claiming their credit and will bring up the subject for someone not aware of the credit deal so that you can offer it to them also. The discount can be a percentage, a set $ amount (you may want to set a minimum service to qualify for the $ amount) or if you charge for nail art - offer it free or for a discount.

This is a deal for you because you aren't just giving away free service. New customer gets a special, existing customer is awarded for spreading the word and you aren't out anything if they don't show up.
(01-31-2012, 01:59 PM)ParkNails Wrote: I had one girl I did it for her free, but as soon as I graduated I told her I was going to charge her 50% off of my services if she passed the word, she said yes, and made an appointment for the next day but she never showed up, oh well.

When I was s student I was doing all nail art for free, sometimes they tipped me well, others not even a thank you.

Has it ever happened to you that you offer some nail art, and they got excited and said yes!! Do whatever you like, and then you say well it"s going to cost this, you see their faces changing like the grinch lol, and they say oh no!? maybe not today lol!.

I charge a little for nail art, like .50 per nail so still they pay for my work, that way I don't feel they are taking advantage.

I love Harmonisky tips, thank you!

At this point, I don't charge for nail art.
Brenda

Brenda
Electrologist 30
Nail tech 3 years

I don't charge for nail art either. Unless it's a very detailed art that is requested by someone (like a team logo or something like that-then I charge $2-3 per nail), I have some simple nail art that takes me very little time and makes the clients ooh and ahh! That has always been a good thing to get new clients.

I don't ever say my nail art is "free". I say it's "included in the service". Then my work becomes more valuable than the other nail techs in my town. Nail art is the one part of the service where it just takes a few minutes and very little money to set your self apart from anyone else! Even if you aren't very good at nail art, your clients don't care and appreciate anything they think gives them a better value for the same price as other places.

Oh and one other tip I forgot about: I always, always do special nails for a bride and never charge her for an upgrade, either for glitter, 3 d art, embedments or anything. I figure her nails will always be immortalized for posterity in her pictures and all her friends are going to ask where she got them done! I just tell her that all her extras are my wedding gift to her! She just pays for the basic nails. Not only does it help with building a client base, it also builds good will. Having the bride talk about the wonderful nail place she got her beautiful bride nails and great customer service is advertising you can never buy!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 9
Views: 4,670
08-19-2013, 01:49 PM
Last PostMonique_Al
Replies: 8
Views: 5,941
07-26-2012, 07:37 AM