You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diamancel Foot files/callus eliminator-a lil disagreement!
Hello fellow techies! I just started working part time at a Spa where the protocol for pedis is to brush callus eliminator on the entire heel, and ball of the foot, wrap the foot in plastic, let it sit for 3-5 minutes while you work on the nails, then take the plastic off and file with the Diamancel files, graduating down in grits til you finish with the fine file. I dont agree with this protocol as the CE leaves the foot slippery and slimy and diamancel files are meant to be used on dry feet only. This is stated on the company website for diamancel. I love CE for spot treatment on really rough calluses but i dont think it should be used on every single person either, and i think it needs to be filed with a cardboard type abrasive-not a diamancel.
Does anyone ever use these two together? Am i missing something? The owner dosnt know anything about nail services as she is a skin care girl, so she has trusted the protocols to a lady who is a little "my way or the highway" type, and she thinks this is the best combo ever.
Hello..... I use callus eliminator in a similar way on very callused areas (spot-treating & wrapping in plastic). After it sits, I take a small cloth and wipe off all the excess callus eliminator (use cloths you can throw out as it will stain the cloth an ugly yellow color that will not wash out). Once the foot has been thoroughly wiped off I start filing with an Angel File. When I am done filing I rinse the foot of any CE residue and finish file with a finer grit. I find this works really well... Smile Maggie
(01-29-2012, 12:37 AM)Nailz Wrote: Hello..... I use callus eliminator in a similar way on very callused areas (spot-treating & wrapping in plastic). After it sits, I take a small cloth and wipe off all the excess callus eliminator (use cloths you can throw out as it will stain the cloth an ugly yellow color that will not wash out). Once the foot has been thoroughly wiped off I start filing with an Angel File. When I am done filing I rinse the foot of any CE residue and finish file with a finer grit. I find this works really well... Smile Maggie

I like using unscented, generic baby wipes for that Smile They work great!

The plastic spreads the product indiscriminately, and this could be very dangerous. In my work as an expert witness for California's board, I've seen some horrendous chemical burns caused by harsh, caustic product applied to healthy skin.
Jaime Schrabeck, Ph.D. (yes, it's real)
http://www.precisionnails.com
http://shop.precisionnails.com
I use puppy pads cut up in foot sized sections. The cotton batting holds BLue Cross Cuticle remover right where I want it and the plastic backing doesn't let it seep out. After about 5 min., I pull the pad off, wipe the bottom of the foot with a towel to remove as much of the solution as possible, then I use a Chechi to file the softened callus. I don't think B.C. is as caustic as C. E., imo.
Read the ingredients for the products you are using. Sodium Hydroxide = Lye, can be rather harsh if applied to healthy skin (it will cause a chemical burn if it is not diluted enough/properly). Potassium Hydroxide is very much the same. Caustic soda is another term.

Products containing these ingredients for callus and/or cuticle removal work well, but should be used appropriately and with caution not to leave it on too long or get it on healthy skin.
here's the ingredients listed on a web site for Blue Cross Cuticle Remover....Water, Castic Potash, Calcium Carrageenan, Oil & Lanolin. I'll need to do some research to find out what the second and third ingredients can do to skin. I'm wondering if 'castic' is a typo, maybe supposed to be 'caustic'.
I agree that plastic is not the way to go. I prefer to apply the CE, if i use it at all, as i dont feel everyone needs it,to only the callus with a hands down pad, then letting it sit for 3-5mins, then wash/wipe away, then file. Thats where the problem comes in. Diamancels are to be used on dry feet. I think im going to print out the info and show it to the owner as i dont know what else to do to convince her that that we shouldnt be doing this. Hopefully she will pay attention to the mfr. print outs. i might print the msds while im at it. Thanks for everyones comments!
(01-29-2012, 10:44 AM)Anna Lajourdie, Toronto Wrote:
(01-29-2012, 12:37 AM)Nailz Wrote: Hello..... I use callus eliminator in a similar way on very callused areas (spot-treating & wrapping in plastic). After it sits, I take a small cloth and wipe off all the excess callus eliminator (use cloths you can throw out as it will stain the cloth an ugly yellow color that will not wash out). Once the foot has been thoroughly wiped off I start filing with an Angel File. When I am done filing I rinse the foot of any CE residue and finish file with a finer grit. I find this works really well... Smile Maggie

I like using unscented, generic baby wipes for that Smile They work great!

Great idea Anna... I have some "special" cloths set aside for that, but that is an even better idea.

As well, just so that ppl don't get the idea to apply huge amounts of CE.. I apply it onto a small piece of paper towel only onto the necessary areas... the plastic is used so that I don't disturb the CE while I am working on their toes...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 1
Views: 1,259
07-14-2016, 02:19 PM
Last Postlz43my
Replies: 1
Views: 1,642
06-24-2015, 11:15 AM