You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
BeautyTech.com

BeautyTech Main PageBeautyTech Main Page        BeautyTech ForumsBeautyTech Forums        Beautytech ShoppeBeautyTech Shoppe        CalendarVisit Nailtech.com        Like us on Facebook        Follow us on Twitter        Find us on Pinterest        View our videos on YouTube       
click THIS... win STUFF...click THIS... win STUFF...        SponsorsSponsors        NT Mailing List SponsorsNT Mailing List Sponsors        SearchFREE Salon Locator Listing        LINDLI Network Day       
FAQFAQ        ContactContact        SearchShoppe Search        SearchForum Search        Make Homepage

BeautyTech Dedicated to Educate and Decorate BeautyTech Home

BeautyTech Sponsors SPONSORS
BeautyTech Sponsors NT Mailing List Sponsors

CONTESTS
BeautyTech click THIS... win STUFF... click THIS/win STUFF
BeautyTech Strut Your STUFF Competition Strut Your Stuff

SHOPPING
BeautyTech Shoppe BeautyTech Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Swap & Shop
BeautyTech Shoppe Salon Posters
BeautyTech Shoppe Milady Publications
BeautyTech Shoppe NailTech Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Empower NailArt
BeautyTech Shoppe EZ Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Odyssey Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Valentino Air Filter
BeautyTech Shoppe Star Nail International
BeautyTech Shoppe Cuccio Naturale
BeautyTech Shoppe Cinapro Nail Art
BeautyTech Shoppe HairCentral

NETWORK
NailTech Connect @ BeautyTech Forums NailTech Connect
BeautyTech Forums Message Boards
NailTech Mailing list @ Google Groups Mailing List
BeautyTech Network Events Network Events

TOOLS
BeautyTech Search Shoppe Shoppe Search
BeautyTech Search Forum Forum Search
Search Business Builders
BeautyTech Professional Licensing Links Licensing Info
BeautyTech Calendar Calendar
BeautyTech.INFO FREE Salon Listing FREE Salon Listing
BeautyTech Photo Gallery Photo Gallery

EVERYTHING ELSE
Advertise @ BeautyTech Advertise
BeautyTech Contact Contact Us
BeautyTech Privacy Policy Privacy Policy

STAY INFORMED

ADVERTISEMENT

FEATURED AD

NailTech.com - Star Nail International, Odyddey Nail, HairCentral, Empower Nail Art

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
McNails shop told my client-"no such thing-white gel-no
09-24-2006, 12:43 PM
 (Print Post)
McNails shop told my client-"no such thing-white gel-no
Local McNails told a client that it is "not possible" to do pink & white with gel! :shock:

This dumb-a$$ first drilled her p&w gels down to almost nothing and then proceeded to put some kind of "gel" on then filed it off again :shock: because it didn't look right. Told her there is no such thing as white gel-its not possible to do P&w gel wanted to take her nails completely off and do the whole tip & white airbrush thing :roll:

He told her "you American-you need go American shop-get "white girl nails"! OMG!!!!!! And we are racist :lol:

So she goes to a local salon and they send her to me becasue I am the only one in town who actually does p&w sculpted gel-no tips. I had to move three clients to get this poor woman in and I only did it because her husband is the new base commander at the Arme post here and had a formal function to attend last night. (Can you say Referrals :twisted: )

Anyway-she tipped me $30 on top of the $65 full set price and tipped my assistant for getting her in and giving directions! When she left she took about 50 referral cards and said shw was going to pass them out at the banquet!

I love making people happy!

Poor thing just moved here and didn't know any better. She is going to be a great client!

The Marine base post commander's wife is my son's kinder teacher and I help in the class on Mondays-can you say more referrals? Big Grin

Oh, and 4 weeks ago we had a gal come in for a pedi who went to a McNails and they used a credo on this poor woman! The bottoms of her big toes looked like someone cut rows of skin out-about an 1/8 of an inch deep. She said her cuticles were bleeding and she could barely walk when the guy was done and she told the desk lady she wasn't going to pay (yea! her) and the woman told her "You no come ack here" :?: :?: She said " are you kidding me-like I was gonna make my next appointment right now-I can't WALK!" So we are getting her put back together.

Ok-the points of this rant are: Make sure you are always at the top ofyour game and become known as the expert in your town. Even other shops will refer to you if they can't accommodate.

Make contact with people in your community who are in the public eye (like the comanders' wives, the mayor, the female attornies, doctors, nurses, medical office front desk people, teachers, realtors etc-they are valuable sources for referrals)

For you newbies building your clientele-I didn't have to accommodate that client-I mean I moved a lot of regulars for her, came in at 7:30 am and basically jumped through hoops for her-why? Because she thinks I am THE GODDESS now and will refer refer refer-I have a full service salon so every one who works for me now will benefit from what I did. So, if you are in a full service salon thinkabout the benefit to every one who works there when you do something like that. It will come back to you ten fold.

Lastly: where in the hell are these McNails techs going to school!!!!! No such thing as white gel-sheesh!

Okay thanks for reading-off my soap box now.

Sherri Dahin
CND Grand Master Technician
Proud member of the EX-Owners Club!
Independent Beauty Consultant
sherridahin@marykay.com
Find all posts by this user
09-24-2006, 12:52 PM
 (Print Post)

That's awesome, good for you!! Every time I go to this site I find it so refreshing to know that other techs out there actually give a crap about the integrity of their work and actually treat their clients like they are people not numbers. BTW, some of the "mcnail techs" do not even set foot in a classroom, they print the licenses in the back, or they just buy them from some of the so called schools because they don't want to take the time to learn (I have seen it many times at my school, people coming in looking to buy their license and the owner told them to literally get the *bleep* out!

Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
09-24-2006, 01:18 PM
 (Print Post)
Re: McNails shop told my client-"no such thing-white ge
You're awesome! Good for you. Wish you had been my instructor! LOL
Michele
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-24-2006, 01:45 PM
 (Print Post)

OMG Sherri you are killing me! McNails! I Love it!

I have nothing against the discount salons, after all I worked in one and learned quite a bit but I like to tell my clients that I am not the FAST FOOD of nails. I offer a very different service. I take appointments and I stay on schedule so that there is no need to sit and wait an hour to see me.

McNails...LOL :lol: I see a Grey's Anatomy Fan! :lol: Love it! McNails! Love it! Mind if I use that one??? Big Grin

Janice
Backscratchers Educator
janice@salonbellanails.com
Facebook/SalonBellaNails
LOOK for me on Face Book!
'Janice Luedke Owens'

Smile
09-24-2006, 06:42 PM
 (Print Post)

:evil: Just AMAZES me!! HOORAH (from one Marine family to another as well) Big Grin Even though I'm still in "school" just this week I've given a couple of Spa Mani's and both of the gals had been to "one of those places" and their nail beds looked like they had been in a battle :x I HATE what they do to clients and these ladies yet continue to frequent those places because their usually cheaper, take walk ins, etc.??!! Oh yeh, you know that would certainly be worth it to me for all the pain, drilling, and crappy looking Lumps that they call enhancements :shock:
________
Ferrari F1/87 specifications
09-24-2006, 06:50 PM
 (Print Post)

You go girl!
I had a girl call me a few weeks ago wanting to know my specials........lol
I told her there were none. I did only sculpts and my price. She called again Friday and asked the same thing. I told her next week I was doing french tips with a clear overlay only for almost half the price of sculpts, so she wants to know more about sculpts...I tell her to come get a sample nail. She does and walked out with a full price set of pink and white sculpts.
McNails......I love it! Tongue
Happy Nailing

Mary
09-24-2006, 10:00 PM
 (Print Post)

Oh Hey Mary, Sample Nail....that's a great marketing idea! After all the proof is in the pudding :wink:

Janice
Backscratchers Educator
Facebook/SalonBellaNails
'Janice Luedke Owens'

Smile
09-25-2006, 03:28 PM
 (Print Post)

Did you tell her to complain to the local state board? I think they would listen to her, being that she is new to the area. Just a thought.
09-26-2006, 11:21 PM
 (Print Post)
McNails
I live in the Central Valley of California. It has become a very large town but still in the dark ages.

Anyway gels are still pretty new here but catching on fast. Some new clients I have had tell me that they went to the "McNails" shop and had gels but they're gels were not like "my" gels. I have had people call and ask for "Solar Nails" and had to explain that they're aren't' solar nails etc. They were amazed.

I kept hearing this over and over so I had to see for myself. I went in for gel fills just to see. They brought out a jar of powder, I recognized the name but can't remember. The jar said it was a gel powder. Anyway, the girl filed my gels almost off (I only had clear) and showed me what was in the jar (sorry I've never heard of a gel powder). I told her to go ahead and proceed (I really wanted to see what they would do).

Well, after she filed my nails almost off, tells me the powder in the jar is the gel powder and that's what she is going to use (they didn't know I was a nail tech) and then pulls out another jar & liquid, I said no way, those aren't gels. She was going to use something totally different which was going to be acrylic. I argued with her that my nail tech doesn't do it that way so she called her super over and he said those were gels and then they would put a uv cured top coat over it to make it shiny. That's how we do them.

I said no way and I explained that I was a nail tech and that wasn't how you do them and left. The only thing I got out of it was that it saved me the time of having to file my nails for fills.

These people aren't doing gels, it's acrylic with gel top coat. It even smelled like acrylic. You have to remember quantity no quality. They couldn't get the number of cattle thru the doors if they did real gels.
09-27-2006, 02:24 AM
 (Print Post)

hahaha... atta girl Shannon! Thanks for acknowledging that gel is GEL!!! Makes me so mad that the NSS scam so many over this "no this is powder gel" garbage. Gel is gel and it looks like freaking gel!!!! Not powder!!! Sorry, not to make this a 5 page thread but I just feel so strongly as an IBD trained gel tech. Sheesh.......

Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
09-27-2006, 08:02 AM
 (Print Post)

Add to the "Solar Nails" a new one I heard about a month ago, "Lazer Gel"

I have no idea what that is, I had a potential client call and ask for it, I couldn't understand what she was trying to tell me, except it sounded like Acrylic with Gel overlay. My husband told me to just do the service, but I told him I can't lie to someone about what I'm putting on there nails. However I see his point, when I explain to someone that I can do L&P w/ gel over it, they don't want Acrylic, they want "Gel" and I get so frustrated trying to re-educate clients, especially when they try to tell me I'm wrong :roll: .

Cherie
09-27-2006, 03:43 PM
 (Print Post)

I had a client ask me "Are your nails Solar or are they acrylic?" I was puzzled and responded "Solar Nail is acrylic!" And she says that her doctor advised her not to have acrylic nails for whatever reason so now she only gets "Solar Nails" done. That poor woman has been lied to by someone to where she thinks that Solar Nails are something different and I get confused and I want to explain things to people but then I get discouraged because they won't understand. I feel that they will still go to the discount salon to save maybe $5.
09-27-2006, 05:05 PM
 (Print Post)

About the Solar Nails issue. I worked for a short time in a discount salon. It was a CLEAN salon which did not operate as an NSS in anyway.

We offered 'Acrylic Nails' and 'Solar Nails'. Now the acrylic was just some off brand of acrylic. But the solar nails were in fact CND solar powder with radical liquid. We did pink and white (ok I never did p&w cuz well when it comes to that I fall into the 'drinks through a straw category' LOL) We also offered natural which was a natural tip with blush powder. Then to finish the service the nails were hand buffed to a high shine and THEN buffed with a buffing paste and chamois wheel. They were very shiny, a nice deep high gloss look.

The owner of the salon really was the only one who did the 'solar nails' because the other techs said they did not know how to do them. I asked them one day just why did they think it was different from acrylic and they all seemed to think it was a different sort of product....something other than acrylic. ( I'll add that they were all new to this salon and had never worked in a salon offering this service)

My point here is this: I think that as much as anything there are techs out there who are not educated themselves. Someone has told them that solar nails is something different from acrylic and they never checked it out themselves.

The man I worked for never said solar was gel or anything other than acrylic. He did say that it was prettier than the 'regular' acrylic and in fact they were prettier. For whatever reason the others just didn't know what solar nails is or that it was a product line of acrylic, not pink&whites not gel and not some mystery stuff.

I'm sure there are those out there who are just out to scam people but I just don't think that is true of most people. I think there is just a lot of misunderstanding and confusion about this product and many call a set of pink & whites solar nails.

Janice
Backscratchers Educator
Facebook/SalonBellaNails
'Janice Luedke Owens'

Smile
10-04-2006, 07:39 PM
 (Print Post)

WOW I love the McNails title! Gonna have to pass that one on.

I also LOVE the sample nail thing. -) What a great idea!
11-28-2006, 11:58 AM
 (Print Post)
to sherri dahin from ms. natural nails
dear ms. sherri dahin
hello to you. i read your hotel idea awhile ago and i wanted to know what did you have in your packet to send to the hotel managers? can you please e-mail me an example of what you use? please thank u.
I am from chi-town and nobody is doing that here so i want to jump start it here. sign please oh pretty please help ms. natural nails. my e-mail address is naturalistics1@yahoo.com looking forward to receiving your info. bye bye

FEEL THE NATURALNESS OF YOUR NAILS
NATURAL NAILS ARE BEAUTIFUL
01-29-2007, 02:28 AM
 (Print Post)

A gal came into my friends shop after going to a McNails place.
She told them that she was allergic to acrylic and that she had to wear gels nails only. They said no problem - and proceeded to put acrylics on her and then put on a UV top coat!! She came to my friends shop in tears - with all ten fingers red and enflamed asking for help.
I bet she'll never to to a McNails shop again!!

Suz
01-29-2007, 03:06 AM
 (Print Post)

OSuZQ :
> A gal came into my friends shop after going to a McNails place.
> She told them that she was allergic to acrylic and that she had to wear gels

Just as a point of reference, if she has a true allergy to acrylics, she will react with gels, maybe worse.. Keep in mind that gels, in real basic terms, is partically cured acrylic.. if she is allergic she should be moved to a wrap or dip system.

Regards,
Debbie webmaster - admin
BeautyTech.com Feed Your Nail Addiction
NailTech.com shop smart, brand name professional products for professional results

[Image: win_stuff.gif]
02-25-2007, 10:53 PM
 (Print Post)

I worked in a NSS for 3 years....I have heard that there are clean ones out there...I guess none of them are in Maryland. McNails darn that is too funny! I have to use that one. Some of them actually do use CND? Wow in the 5 shops that my former bosses owned they used products manufactured by their suppliers. Solar nail is being used by NSS because at one time CND said it could be layed thinner without losing anything in strength. In the salons I worked in if you came in the door and asked for a solar nail you got their regular acrylic...ha ha ha ha!

But it is liberating to convert a NSS faithful...way to go!
03-06-2007, 08:06 AM
 (Print Post)

wkdwich :
> OSuZQ :
>> A gal came into my friends shop after going to a McNails place.
>> She told them that she was allergic to acrylic and that she had to wear gels
>
> Just as a point of reference, if she has a true allergy to acrylics, she will
> react with gels, maybe worse.. Keep in mind that gels, in real basic terms,
> is partically cured acrylic.. if she is allergic she should be moved to a
> wrap or dip system.

Since when? Where did you get the idea that gel is partially cured acrylic? Acrylic and Gel are totally different products with different ingredients... Over the years i have come across a few ladies with high alergies to acrylic, we use gel and have no problems...

McNails is a good one... Over here in good ol' Australia the cheap nail bars call their Gel "Powder Gel" they just put their MMA infected acrylic into tubs that have GEL written on the front... its so cheap and nasty...

goldfinger
03-07-2007, 06:32 PM
 (Print Post)

Goldfinger, you would be surprised at some of the things they tell their customers...if you have about 4 hours, I could tell you some stories Big Grin
03-09-2007, 03:03 PM
 (Print Post)

goldfinger :
> wkdwich :
>> OSuZQ :
>>> A gal came into my friends shop after going to a McNails place.
>>> She told them that she was allergic to acrylic and that she had to wear gels
>>
>> Just as a point of reference, if she has a true allergy to acrylics, she will
>> react with gels, maybe worse.. Keep in mind that gels, in real basic terms,
>> is partically cured acrylic.. if she is allergic she should be moved to a
>> wrap or dip system.
>
>
> Since when? Where did you get the idea that gel is partially cured acrylic?
> Acrylic and Gel are totally different products with different ingredients..
> . Over the years i have come across a few ladies with high alergies to acrylic,
> we use gel and have no problems...

Since always, you should get Doug Schoon's book Nail tructure & Product Chemistry..
http://www.beautytech.com/milady

Gels are an acrylate called oligimers, part of the acrylic family..

To quote an email I got from Doug on this:

Quote:You are completely correct. Acrylic and UV gels are different products, but they rely on the same types of ingredients and are more closely related and most people know. In general, clients are much more likely to be allergic to UV gel than liquid and powder. I would recommend that this nail technician read my book. I discuss this in great detail. If a person is allergic to liquid and powder products, I would be very hesitant to put them on a UV gel.

Regards,
Debbie webmaster - admin
BeautyTech.com Feed Your Nail Addiction
NailTech.com shop smart, brand name professional products for professional results

[Image: win_stuff.gif]
05-16-2007, 01:35 AM
 (Print Post)

I live in CA and I learned that McNails have their own school here in so Cal(ooch)

@ Nails Plus (Victorville, Ca)
sara_doesmy_nails@yahoo.com
06-07-2007, 11:13 PM
 (Print Post)

I am really glad to have read this post. I had a lady come in today and ask if I did Solar Nails. I told her I had no idea what Solar Nails were. I have the CND product called Solar Nails powder and I showed it to her. She wasn't sure but thought it looked like what they used. I told her I would fill them but would check out the message boards this weekend and see if it was more than just the name of a product which is what I told her I thought it was. They McNails place charged her more for Solar Nails. She knew they weren't gels because her daughter-in-law wears gel nails and it wasn't the same. I think they took advantage of her.
07-02-2007, 09:24 AM
 (Print Post)
Re: McNails shop told my client-"no such thing-white ge
Sherri Dahin :
I had to move three clients to get this poor woman in and I only did it because her husband is the new base commander at the Arme post here and had a formal function to attend last night. (Can you say Referrals :twisted: ) Okay thanks for reading-off my soap box now.

Sherri,

Had to laugh at your post because as a MOW (Marine Officers Wife) myself that is exactly how I build my business for both hair and nails.

It is great to save the day and have one person on this planet singing your praises at a function full of other beauty starved women *lol* nothing like disgruntled military wives!!

Oh and don't be surprised that you get OOT referrals too because we talk about those things to inbound wives as their local area sponsors.

Commisary directions, check,
base clinic, check,
hair stylist, check,
nail tech, check *lol*

I laugh and make fun but that is just how we are we don't want any hiccups in our services.

Especially not with all the functions we go to and the level of presentability that is expected of us as officers wives. We may not wear the bars but we're supposed to look as if we do *lol*

~FFSS

Hair, nails and waxing, I am a triple threat on two legs!!
07-13-2007, 05:32 AM
 (Print Post)

I had a good laugh yesterday!! My husband and I drove to Thomasville NC to check out the furniture stores there (NOT worth the 2 hour drive :shock: )......and as I was counting the "nail salons" on every corner, I saw a shop sign that read "McNails"!!!!! I laughed out loud and tried to explain it to my hubby but he just didn't get it. Oh well....just wanted to pass this along!! :lol: :lol: :lol: