You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
BeautyTech.com

BeautyTech Main PageBeautyTech Main Page        BeautyTech ForumsBeautyTech Forums        Beautytech ShoppeBeautyTech Shoppe        CalendarVisit Nailtech.com        Like us on Facebook        Follow us on Twitter        Find us on Pinterest        View our videos on YouTube       
click THIS... win STUFF...click THIS... win STUFF...        SponsorsSponsors        NT Mailing List SponsorsNT Mailing List Sponsors        SearchFREE Salon Locator Listing        LINDLI Network Day        Orlando SocialOrlando Network Social
FAQFAQ        ContactContact        SearchShoppe Search        SearchForum Search        Make Homepage

BeautyTech Dedicated to Educate and Decorate BeautyTech Home

BeautyTech Sponsors SPONSORS
BeautyTech Sponsors NT Mailing List Sponsors

CONTESTS
BeautyTech click THIS... win STUFF... click THIS/win STUFF
BeautyTech Strut Your STUFF Competition Strut Your Stuff

SHOPPING
BeautyTech Shoppe BeautyTech Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Swap & Shop
BeautyTech Shoppe Salon Posters
BeautyTech Shoppe Milady Publications
BeautyTech Shoppe NailTech Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Empower NailArt
BeautyTech Shoppe EZ Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Odyssey Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Valentino Air Filter
BeautyTech Shoppe Star Nail International
BeautyTech Shoppe Cuccio Naturale
BeautyTech Shoppe Cinapro Nail Art
BeautyTech Shoppe HairCentral

NETWORK
NailTech Connect @ BeautyTech Forums NailTech Connect
BeautyTech Forums Message Boards
NailTech Mailing list @ Google Groups Mailing List
BeautyTech Network Events Network Events

TOOLS
BeautyTech Search Shoppe Shoppe Search
BeautyTech Search Forum Forum Search
Search Business Builders
BeautyTech Professional Licensing Links Licensing Info
BeautyTech Calendar Calendar
BeautyTech.INFO FREE Salon Listing FREE Salon Listing
BeautyTech Photo Gallery Photo Gallery

EVERYTHING ELSE
Advertise @ BeautyTech Advertise
BeautyTech Contact Contact Us
BeautyTech Privacy Policy Privacy Policy

STAY INFORMED

ADVERTISEMENT

FEATURED AD

NailTech.com - Star Nail International, Odyddey Nail, HairCentral, Empower Nail Art

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tips for getting started as a Nail Professional
02-22-2007, 07:59 PM
 (Print Post)

thank you for the fast response. i am really excited about doing nails and hope to learn as much as i can. I live in an area where their don't seem to be options after school, do you have ideas on ways to continue to learn after school?
Find all posts by this user
02-22-2007, 09:58 PM
 (Print Post)

Darling,

the best would be to attend any and all education classes, trade shows and networking events.

To succeed, in addition to practice, remember this -

you need to spend money to make money.

That doesn't mean you have to 'go for broke'- but choose what classes and events are most important to you, plan for them, and make it happen. No matter what situation you are in, you can do it. (If you want it bad enough... I'm living proof of that as a single mother with three children under 10 and I do NOT get any child support)

You can also search for a mentor online- especially if you are decided on which product you are going to use.. that will help you narrow down your choices of Nail Professionals to ask for help.

I wish you all the best,

Melissa Pechey in MA
Licensed Nail Professional
Salon Owner

http://www.missnailpro.com
http://www.thematrixsalon.com

"My blood runneth Retention+..."

"Short Cuts Make Long Delays"
-The Hobbit
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-25-2007, 11:04 PM
 (Print Post)

since i haven't started school yet :oops: i should probably wait a little bit before looking for a mentor Big Grin when is a good time? right before i graduate or after? thanks for the advice, i am going for this with everything i have. I figure the first show i'll go to is vegas in june (do they let students in?)

one excited future nail tech
Amber :wink:
02-26-2007, 08:24 AM
 (Print Post)

Amber, yes as a sutdent you are allowed to attend shows.. ask your teacher (if you are local to the Vegas show) about discount tickets.

As far as a mentor, I would wait until after you graaduated or toward the very end of your class..

Regards,
Debbie webmaster - admin
BeautyTech.com Feed Your Nail Addiction
NailTech.com shop smart, brand name professional products for professional results

[Image: win_stuff.gif]
02-27-2007, 03:28 PM
 (Print Post)

I just want to say thank you for all the good advice. I'm just out of school and waiting to take my NYS state boards. I'm very nervous to get out there, I really feel that I haven't learned enough. I know that once I get into it and practice practice practice, I'm going to love this "nail" world, heck, I already do. This is a wonderful forum and I am so thankful that I just happened on it one day and have been "stuck" ever since.

Thank you again your time and efforts are greatly appreciated.

Stephanie
Remember to smile, it shows your inner beauty!
03-14-2007, 10:09 AM
 (Print Post)

I'm just getting back into the business after ALONG time away....I will be going into a Salon shortly where I'll be doing only Manicures & Pedicures....What is your procedure for a Spa manicure & what type of massage lotion should I use?.....

I've considered going back into the business several times but I guess certain fears held me back....I saw a quote recently that said, "Your Dream must be bigger than your Fear"...I thought, how true is that! lol So I'm going for it this time & I really appreciate that there is someone like you who will lend a helping hand to new techs...or in this case an "old" one who is starting over lol

Thanks in advance...
03-14-2007, 11:53 AM
 (Print Post)

Oops I also forgot to ask, how do I go about buying a polish collection?...For instance Essie....who do I contact to buy enough polishes to start out?...I didn't want to buy individual polishes until I see what colors I'll be using alot of.....Since I'm not in the salon yet, I don't have access to a Rep. coming around asking what I need.....What is your favorite brand of polish?
05-09-2007, 05:58 PM
 (Print Post)

- Post Removed by slh70 -
05-19-2007, 07:30 PM
 (Print Post)

I'm a new nail tech and am deciding on whether to work for a salon in town that makes you sign a contract. They are the only premier dayspa here and are very busy. They have a BAD rep for taking people to court. If you sign the contract you can't work with in a 5 mile radius of our city. It is legal in Illinois Anyway I can't decide on that salon or to work commis (60/40) from a different. This salon is not as busy, has another nail tech with an established base, but I can do my own thing. I"ve weighed the pros and cons and just cannot decide! ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Traci
07-12-2007, 09:44 PM
 (Print Post)

*Well, going on 7 months now working :wink: Continuing to help advertise for my services I took out in this little local "coupon-type booklet" ad (two sided type). Just came out last week so hoping to generate new business - thank you ALL for all your help this past year!
[Image: IMG_0034.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0033.jpg]
________
volcano digital vaporizer
07-23-2007, 08:53 PM
 (Print Post)

Those look good rusty1 Big Grin

。☆。*。☆。
★。\Jennifer/。★ Licensed
17 yrs Acrylic Tech ❄ 7 yrs Gel Tech
Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Booth Renter Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
02-11-2009, 08:35 PM
 (Print Post)
nail tech basic education
Hello!

I'm from Hungary and I'd like to ask you (anybody from anywhere in the world) how you became a nail tech? I mean what's the basic education like at your country? How long the school takes? What kind of subjects do you learn?
Here, we have schools too but I think it's not that classified. You learn the basics in about 4-6 months (2×6 hours per week). We learn manicure, pedicure and artificial nails together. Only this way you can have the graduation. If someones interested I can tell you more about how's it going around here, but first I want to know how's it going at your place.

Thanks for you're help and information, and if I posted this in a wrong place, please help me find the correct forum for it. Thank you!
07-09-2010, 12:57 PM
 (Print Post)
Beauty Marketing - Getting Started as a Nail Technician
Start your Nail business with a goal in mind. Have a written plan and execute. Set deadlines and meet them.

Decide if you will start in a salon or at home. Map out your marketing plan.. how you are going to get clients, keep them coming back..etc. Decide what other product you will offer clients for sale.

Set monthly sales goals and work hard to achieve that goal.

The worst thing you can do is not have a plan of where you want to go in your business. You can't expect to go into a salon and just wait for clients to come to you.

You have to know how to attract them to you, almost like they're looking for you.

A business with no plan is a business that is planning to fail...my thoughts.

I set weekly goals...even if I don't meet them. I still win because I worked hard to get close to it. I brought in more money than I would have, had I done nothing.

:wink: :wink:

Believe That You Can and You Will!

Do You Know How to Market Your Beauty Business? Nail Technician Marketing. Turning Your Passion Into a Lucrative Career... http://www.NailTechCash.com
07-09-2010, 03:44 PM
 (Print Post)
Re: Beauty Marketing - Getting Started as a Nail Technician
Nailznthings :
> Start your Nail business with a goal in mind. Have a written plan and execute.
> Set deadlines and meet them.
>
> Decide if you will start in a salon or at home. Map out your marketing plan.
> . how you are going to get clients, keep them coming back..etc. Decide what
> other product you will offer clients for sale.
>
> Set monthly sales goals and work hard to achieve that goal.
>
> The worst thing you can do is not have a plan of where you want to go in your
> business. You can't expect to go into a salon and just wait for clients to
> come to you.
>
> You have to know how to attract them to you, almost like they're looking for
> you.
>
> A business with no plan is a business that is planning to fail...my thoughts.
>
>
> I set weekly goals...even if I don't meet them. I still win because I worked
> hard to get close to it. I brought in more money than I would have, had I done
> nothing.
>
>
> :wink: :wink:

Thanks for the respond, but I was interested in learning the nail making. How long school takes in your country?
11-19-2010, 02:52 AM
 (Print Post)
please delete
sorry posted in wrong area
09-15-2011, 10:29 AM
 (Print Post)

I've enjoyed reading this thread. My question is geared toward the recent graduate who goes into business for themself.
My husband has a wellness center and he is able to provide me with a decent size room to work from. I can build websites, so I will inexpensively be able to get on the 'net through the website and through my social media marketing skills.
My concern is how do I keep the customers. If they enjoyed the service, what do you suggest that will make them lifelong customers? How much can I realistically expect to make my first year in business - minus the salon supplies and insurance? Won't have rent or commissions.

Thanks, guys. Smile

Tari
09-15-2011, 01:15 PM
 (Print Post)

Tari Welcome to our world!

You have a great advantage of the wellness center and no rent Smile Your pricing can be reasonable for the area you are in. Make sure you do your research on that when you start working on your menu. It's almost impossible to say what your net income would be, there are too many factors - products, decorating, insurance, your prices, your location. But don't take that to mean you can't earn a good living doing nails, you absolutely can! And like learning to wait tables, it is always something you can fall back on if needed! (just dont ever let your license expire!)

Next.. our clients come to us 90% for our personality, ability to listen, be a friend or not as needed.. and 10% for our skills and knowledge. A tech with decent skills AND a great personality to create an environment can go places fast. It's not that you dont need skills, but generally speaking if the work is decent, the clinet is happy at place A and place B but the tech at place B is snotty, talks down to her, doesn't talk to her at all, the place is mesy, loud.. you get my drift here I'm sure.. then where do you think she's going to make her appointments??

Regards,
Debbie webmaster - admin
BeautyTech.com Feed Your Nail Addiction
NailTech.com shop smart, brand name professional products for professional results

[Image: win_stuff.gif]
10-19-2011, 08:51 PM
 (Print Post)

wkdwich :
> Tari Welcome to our world!
>
> You have a great advantage of the wellness center and no rent Smile Your pricing
> can be reasonable for the area you are in. Make sure you do your research on
> that when you start working on your menu. It's almost impossible to say what
> your net income would be, there are too many factors - products, decorating,
> insurance, your prices, your location. But don't take that to mean you can't
> earn a good living doing nails, you absolutely can! And like learning to wait
> tables, it is always something you can fall back on if needed! (just dont ever
> let your license expire!)
>
> Next.. our clients come to us 90% for our personality, ability to listen, be
> a friend or not as needed.. and 10% for our skills and knowledge. A tech with
> decent skills AND a great personality to create an environment can go places
> fast. It's not that you dont need skills, but generally speaking if the work
> is decent, the clinet is happy at place A and place B but the tech at place
> B is snotty, talks down to her, doesn't talk to her at all, the place is mesy,
> loud.. you get my drift here I'm sure.. then where do you think she's going
> to make her appointments??

This is so true I had a hair stlylist whose work I love no one has ever done such a great job on my hair and her prices are resonable. Problem is she is very slow and very unprofessional, all she does is curse and gossip and people in her salon do the same even if they are being serviced or not that are there talking crap about people. I have three small children so being away from them for almost four hrs while she does my hair does not work for me and her shop is about 10 min from my house. So it doesnt matter how great the work is sometime you have to be professional at all times and not let your family and friends ruin things for you. Good luck to everyone I am so excited for us all.