You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Young Nails jumped into the mass retail ring.
http://fashion.elle.com/beauty/2012/01/0...-nail-kit/
Anna
I for one am disappointed... Why did we even go to school? Why did we learn a skill set... If we are going to be underminded by the suppliers of the professional products we use... Young Nails is my supplier of choice.. where its all about us... REALLY??? I'm disappointed. Its all about the MONEY...but I guess i always knew that...
Pen Sadler/ owner/nail tech
Definitive Touch Salon
7791 Cooper Road
Montgomery, Ohio
513-794-0733
http://www.myspace.com/pensad
Licensed managing manicurist
young nails addict
Entity Advantage Member #73789

We are here to SERVE one and another.......
I just wrote a long reply to this thread. It didn't go through for some reason and I don't have time to type it again.

I have been travelling 2 1/2 hours both ways to the Young Nails New York education facility for gel classes because I can't seem to get any gel nail education here in Pennsylvania. I will not be going anymore after reading this thread.

I know threads like this have been beaten to death, but I don't care. My bottles of Gelish and Mani-Q both have "For Professional Use Only" on them - and I purchased every single color from both companies. But the loyalty is obviously not reciprocal.

I may have to eventually get over it, but for now I am going to be angry and sulk.

Shame on them - I used to like and really respect these two guys.
It truly IS all about the money for the big co.'s.......they've proven that over and over again to us. I won't say I'm disappointed but I will say I'm not surprised.

When Gelish came out, I was not to crazy about it. But after some serious consideration about it, I decided to try it and found out I was cutting off my nose to spite my face. It actually speeded up my time on my gel services because it's easier to put on than traditional gel colors.

There's been DIY'er's out there forever and for everything a pro can do, there's a way for the unlicensed person to get and do the same things. The thing is, most don't and that's a good thing for us. Let's face it, sogp is the next 'new thing', ......might as well ride this horse til the next one comes along. Literally everyone who's got a large co. is going to bring out their own line so they can get a piece of the easy pie. :roll:
The best AND only "brand" manicurists should promote is themselves.
Jaime Schrabeck, Ph.D. (yes, it's real)
http://www.precisionnails.com
http://shop.precisionnails.com
PrecisionNails :
> The best AND only "brand" manicurists should promote is themselves.

Thank you, Jaime, this is so very true.

But as I see it, the brand is me, the profession is getting watered down.
Anna
The way I see it, people will still get their nails done by us.

It's no different than when the "Toni Home Perm" came out. People thought it was great, some continued to use it, but then most realized it wasn't about the "convenience" of doing it at home, it was was about getting it done right! Same with hair colour, etc.

Those who want a salon service will still seek it out - the others are cheap and will learn themselves - and if they don't, they'll damage their nails (*gasp) and come back to us anyway.

I don't like when the big companies do this stuff either, I think it cheapens what we do as techs, but like someone else said, it's about the bottom line.
It seems to me that YN did this very intelligently. They appear to have created a new company and website, that has no reference to YN and therefore it's unlikely that customers will draw comparisons with the existing YN products. As nail techs, you can make it clear that these are consumer grade products.

Once the hat was out of the bag, all manufacturers had to consider creating a consumer gel polish line, or face being left behind. In reality, many of the pro gel polish products were already available on eBay etc. Why this sales channel could not be stopped is open to debate. In some way, creating a consumer line makes this secondary sales channel less relevant.

The term Professional Use Only, is in Europe at least not required for gel products. It is perfectly legal to sell gel products to consumers. However, acrylic products are FPUO and if sold knowingly to consumers, the government authorities can force the products to be removed from the market. I do understand that many consider FPUO to be a contract with nail techs that the manufacturer won't sell the same products to consumers.

Perhaps interestingly, what we see in East Europe is that many customers are now swinging back to gel or acrylic extensions. The reason being that these look longer longer, and cost nearly the same as a gel polish treatment.

This is the only post I will make on this thread ;-)
Iryna Giblett Nail Products Inc., Sweden
http://www.irynagiblett.com
Not surprised and certainly not too happy about it especially since i purchased the gel kit and led light.
Quote:PrecisionNails :
> The best AND only "brand" manicurists should promote is themselves.

Thank you, Jaime, this is so very true.

But as I see it, the brand is me, the profession is getting watered down.

A great deal can be accomplished, individually and collectively. Don't rely on anyone or any company to represent you; each of us needs to speak out for ourselves and make, and live with, our own decisions.
Jaime Schrabeck, Ph.D. (yes, it's real)
http://www.precisionnails.com
http://shop.precisionnails.com
Honestly, I'm a bit surprised to see this, but I'm not losing sleep over it either. I am a YN fanatic and love their products, but I do agree with Jaimie. Don't rely on a brand, but rely on the service your give, the education to receive, and excellent customer service. I think it's kind of different when I talked to my YN distributor and they knew NOTHING about this which leads me to believe that this is something that was kept on the hush, but I want to hear it from YN on what is going on and what they are going to do to satisfy the industry that helped them become the company they are today. I still love YN and they definitely helped me become a better tech.
Martine M.
SUNFLOWER
@ Bob, just wanted to say that at least in your country there's some truth in advertising in saying FPUO!! Here in America, for some reason, the co.'s still put it on their packaging knowing full well that its being sold to the unlicensed public. IMO, that makes that co. no better than the local NSS that calls a p/w nail a 'solar nail'. If you're going to market your product in a beauty supply that does NOT check to make sure you're licensed before the product is sold, then that's just wrong. Yea, yea, I know that the product is sold in smaller sizes and that size is meant to be sold to the consumer, but it's the same stuff in a smaller bottle!! WTH??!! The consumer HAS to buy the small size and we get to buy the bigger bottles coz we're professionals..... :roll:
I have been a proud YN user for 8 years now, and while I am very disappointed that they sold out to the public, I am not however at all threatened by this. I feel that we are beating a dead horse here because it is what it is! This is the wave of the future, and It's also of the mind set ... it's business not personal kind of thing. What I do want to know is when are we going to be able to profit off of this? We pay such high prices for our products that if we even tried to sell them, they would be so expensive clients wouldn't buy anyway. They would simply go to the internet or closest supply shop to buy. I feel if they are going to market it to the public, then fine, let us market it as well since we are the ones introducing it to our clients. We can help educate them on how to properly apply it, maintain it and remove it, so they don't ruin their nails! I want to be able to sell them the lights and gels, just like I sell them regular lacquer polishes. It should be no different!
Hello everyone. As a Young Nails distributor and good friend of Greg and Habib and their wonderful mother Young, I thought I would chime in here.

You should not feel threatened or disappointed by this decision. In order for YN to be competitive and innovative and continue to bring you some of the best products and education available in the world they need to do this.

The target market is not your customer. The target market is not the person that frequents salons for nail services it is the do it yourselfer. They are not your customer now, have not ben in the past and will not be in the future.

Congratulations Young Nails - please continue to do what you do best - create great Nail Techs worlwide and have the best customer service of all the big companies.

Best Regards,

Tim Rochemont
There are no shortcuts to anyplace worth going
President of nailbasics - "Raising Industry Standards"
Tim :
> Hello everyone. As a Young Nails distributor and good friend of Greg and Habib
> and their wonderful mother Young, I thought I would chime in here.
>
> You should not feel threatened or disappointed by this decision. In order
> for YN to be competitive and innovative and continue to bring you some of the
> best products and education available in the world they need to do this.
>
> The target market is not your customer. The target market is not the person
> that frequents salons for nail services it is the do it yourselfer. They are
> not your customer now, have not ben in the past and will not be in the future.
>
>
> Congratulations Young Nails - please continue to do what you do best - create
> great Nail Techs worlwide and have the best customer service of all the big
> companies.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Tim Rochemont

Hmmm....but how many DIY's does it create? When anything is introduced to the masses, some will try new things and some will try and fail. This dwindles the pool of clients who we do target. It is what it is.
Anna
None of your clients unless you encourage them to
There are no shortcuts to anyplace worth going
President of nailbasics - "Raising Industry Standards"
Increasing awareness of this product and service will help everyone, regardless of what product you use.

This also makes gel polishes more accessible to beauty school (nails or cosmo) Why should the student have to spend $300-400 to get a decent lamp and a selection of colors when they will probably end up working for someone who supplies product anyway.

With these type of systems, for under $100, they can get this service under their belt. And also see the difference when you use a light designed for your product. There is no future for some one who can't do gel polish in this business. This will allow beauty schools to add this essential product to their nail tech kits without raising their tuition as much.

Maybe someday you won't be teaching yourself gels at school anymore.
Tim :
> None of your clients unless you encourage them to

Ha!
As a new tech vying for clients as it is, that is no consolation.

I appreciate your sticking up YN just the same.

:wink:
Anna
NACAMSStaff :
> It simply looking awesome. I haven't seen such beautiful and complete nail
> kit yet. Keep it up. I hope you will enhance it.
>
> Good luck for the rest of future.....

I agree and their videos on the lomasi gel site was very informative. I wouldnt expect less from them in this regard. Their education to me is the best part of YN.
Anna
YN encouraged everyone to call Habib & voice your concerns with him & he'll answer all your questions. A couple people did so (I talked to him about something else) and stated they felt better knowing the info he gave them.
Quote:You should not feel threatened or disappointed by this decision. In order for YN to be competitive and innovative and continue to bring you some of the best products and education available in the world they need to do this.

The target market is not your customer. The target market is not the person that frequents salons for nail services it is the do it yourselfer. They are not your customer now, have not ben in the past and will not be in the future.

Congratulations Young Nails - please continue to do what you do best - create great Nail Techs worlwide and have the best customer service of all the big companies.

From a business point of view, I find this comment absolutely staggering. Confusedhock: I take it Tom has never run a business of his own. What a thing to say!

From the view of a nail tech this news has gone down like a lead balloon over here in Australia. Techs are not impressed nor should they be.

Quote:YN encouraged everyone to call Habib & voice your concerns with him & he'll answer all your questions. A couple people did so (I talked to him about something else) and stated they felt better knowing the info he gave them.

Yes, it's called marketing spin.

I feel especially sorry for American techs who have to go through all the licensing rigmarole, prove that they are qualified before they are permitted to purchase professional products and now a professional product company goes and sells from underneath them.

It's all about you? No, it's about their bottom line.
As always, I'm speechless.
Marie A. Soto
[email protected]
Young Nails is NOT all about us.. Sad ..the final answer is it's all about THEM.. :x Stopeed using most YN products loooonnngg ago.. I only use their clear powder as it IS the clearest powder I have found...
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
nail diva, try ons clear.
Tesss Walters
http://www.puttinonthenails.com
Inventor of THE CLAZY GRIP!
Owner/Operator
Educator
Master Gel Technician
[email protected]
FB Group Page ( The Art Of the Pen)
Quote:The best AND only "brand" manicurists should promote is themselves.
LIKE!

My surprise lasted about 60 seconds....I thought they were "all about us" too, but nowadays, "all about survival".
Its still a bad economy, it was inevitable YN did it. Everyone else has, really...
Lots of people will waste $ on home kits. Gel polish is not as easy as it looks!
Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Jennifer
Acrylic & Gel Tech Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 3
Views: 2,184
05-01-2016, 01:35 AM
Last Posttishgibson
Replies: 0