You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knowing When To Quit--Help!
I wrote a blog entry today and I'm feeling a little pathetic. I kind of want some opinions on the situation if you can gather anything from what I wrote.

I don't know if I should ask to leave or how to approach the situation. I feel like I really need some help from anyone that can give me advice...

Please help.

http://creativeandselfemployed.blogspot....t-out.html

Comment on here if you have any advice. Thanks guys!
BornToBling :
> I wrote a blog entry today and I'm feeling a little pathetic. I kind of want
> some opinions on the situation if you can gather anything from what I wrote.
>
>
> I don't know if I should ask to leave or how to approach the situation. I feel
> like I really need some help from anyone that can give me advice...
>
> Please help.
>
> http://creativeandselfemployed.blogspot....to-get-out.
> html
>
> Comment on here if you have any advice. Thanks guys!

This is just me, BUT... I would get out. Take your client list before you tell the owner.
I actually left the industry for a LONG time due to the catty crap that goes on in a salon daily. It's ridiculous!!

I'm back now, but on certain conditions.
1 - I work for myself. I share space with a lady who has a home salon. She used to own a salon and got out for the same reasons. Too much CRAP. I pay her a small fee based on my clientele. We rarely work at the same time, but see each other frequently.
2 - I have set hours that I can work (and make a stink with acrylic)
3 - I decide which products I use, which supplier, etc.
4 - we don't deal with each others bookings or finances.

Quite frankly, I don't know how I got so lucky! She's been SO great.

I think when you start to question yourself and your self esteem gets lower, you know what to do. This industry won't change, but YOU can. You can do your own thing and people will find out!

Anyway - I feel your pain. I'm a hairdresser as well and have seen my fair share of salon crap. No other word for it, but I didn't want to bring myself back into that.

I feel your pain. <hugs>
I feel your pain girl. I worked for an eye doctor a couple of yrs ago and was treated very badly accused of stealing a visa off the dr desk and the deal breaker was when i had to take 2 wks off for heart surgery and when i came back they made it my week for taking all the trash out. Really twats!!!! lol and to top the turd that same week while i was doing my trash duty and after they found out one of the lab mgrs was the person who stole the visa. They took me in the office (while i was emptying the trash) to tell me , "Um hon, we got to let you go. We feel like you just don't fit in, but your a great sales person and made (this much money) for the shop this month. BUT we still feel like we cant work with you so can we still count on your business?" I said No my family will never come back and i will tell everyone you are unbalanced people. Went home and come to find out i was let go 27 hrs before i qualified for unemployment. The only reason i stayed was due to money but i figured out money doesn't buy anything but stuff. and i did without stuff.

So to your situation i would contact the Labor Union if ur country has one and see what they say. And I'm sure you can find legal advice online about the contract. See is you can get out due to unresolved differences or something legally lol. I am sorry about how they are treating you. The world is full of uppity bad word you just have to smile and say something really sweetly snide and then maybe they will let you go and you don't have to be the bad guy. If they let you go can you go get a booth close by them? that would make them eat their words watching everyone around them with your nails on their pretty fingers. Bahahah(evil laugh)

Keep you head up and smile and nod. Make that money and let them fail!
Mitchele Sheree Hunt
CND Master Painter
http://mitchelesheree.blogspot.com/
Ok, sounds like you're having a rough time! From what you've written before, you are placed front and center in a high end salon where you should easily be noticed and people are willing to pay good prices? I'd say deal at the back end with the salon owner, get the salon hours enforced, get the stylists to not behave unprofessionally in front of clients (NO table talk!), and get yourself in a mental place where you don't care if you are included. Kill them with kindness, be the epitome of professional, and laugh all the way to the bank while working around them. You mentioned that the owner has good business sense and good ethics, if so, she should be very motivated to clear that crap up! It takes time to build, don't let these people derail and discourage you! Hope things get worked out with the owner.
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
The following quote has always been a leveller for me.

“Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.”
― Albert Schweitzer

If you are not happy, then it's time to leave. Having been in jobs that are just as dissatisfying, I have learned that the money, whatever is just not worth it in the long run.

Newbietechy provides a great list and Mitchele hits the nail ont he head with her comment - "The only reason i stayed was due to money but i figured out money doesn't buy anything but stuff. and i did without stuff."

Love your blog, btw.
Thank you all for the wonderful advice. It would have made me feel better if I hadn't just made the biggest mistake since I started there. I missed an appointment.

I have been so worked up over everything all day that I looked at the wrong day and thought I could leave and turns out I had an end of day client...

Icing on the cake of my misery.

But as the night wears on, I feel as though even though it is terrible and may scar my reputation, missing this client just makes me know this isn't where I am supposed to be. Not now. I need employment in the youth of my hopefully long lasting career. And as the night wears on, I feel everything is going in the right directions. I hope...

(Man I really am good for blogging!) LOL
After reading your blog, I wondered if your employer read it - if would it effect your chances of getting out of your contract without paying the remaining rent due to her.

I realize it was your heart felt account of your experience and its sad to have gone through that.

Good luck!

Enhance
Firstly, you can leave. I am positive that after reading your blog, the owner has given more than enough reasons for you to sue HER if she doesn't want to let you out of your contract. She has cost you money (forcing you no choice but to give a free service? not allowing you to do MANICURES?), she has set your shop hours (which is illegal unless you agreed to working her hours in a contract, which still usually makes you an employee legally speaking), she has also allowed you to be slandered by the other renters. Very very rarely does anyone actually enforce contracts, because it is difficult to do so without the contract being notarized, and, often, they are too disorganized to do so anyway.

Secondly, you need to find your new shop and inform your clients before you give notice, or at least make sure you have all your clients contact information. I've known girls who were informed they didn't have any right to their clients, and were in fact, told to pack up and leave that instant. Sounds bad, but it's true. Her feelings and her business are not your problem, you have to protect yourself. I would plan on giving at least two weeks notice, some people give 30 days, but I don't think there's really a set rule in this industry.

Thirdly, there's no point in staying where you are miserable, especially if it's affecting your performance. Call the client you missed and apologize, don't offer her service free, but offer her a bonus on top of it. So if she booked for a full set of gels, offer her a free mini pedi or free fill so you get her in your chair. Even if she already received her service elsewhere, she'll still tell people that you tried to make it right, and if she doesn't, you didn't want her as a client anyway. Everyone makes mistakes, and more often than not, people are willing to give you a second chance.
Read your blog. It's not worth it to be miserable, no matter what. But don't let them get away with it. Stand up to them. Remember, bullies will only bully until they're pushed back.
Best of luck to you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 9
Views: 6,012
03-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Last PostParkNails
Replies: 9
Views: 4,312