You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
BeautyTech.com

BeautyTech Main PageBeautyTech Main Page        BeautyTech ForumsBeautyTech Forums        Beautytech ShoppeBeautyTech Shoppe        CalendarVisit Nailtech.com        Like us on Facebook        Follow us on Twitter        Find us on Pinterest        View our videos on YouTube       
click THIS... win STUFF...click THIS... win STUFF...        SponsorsSponsors        NT Mailing List SponsorsNT Mailing List Sponsors        SearchFREE Salon Locator Listing        LINDLI Network Day       
FAQFAQ        ContactContact        SearchShoppe Search        SearchForum Search        Make Homepage

BeautyTech Dedicated to Educate and Decorate BeautyTech Home

BeautyTech Sponsors SPONSORS
BeautyTech Sponsors NT Mailing List Sponsors

CONTESTS
BeautyTech click THIS... win STUFF... click THIS/win STUFF
BeautyTech Strut Your STUFF Competition Strut Your Stuff

SHOPPING
BeautyTech Shoppe BeautyTech Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Swap & Shop
BeautyTech Shoppe Salon Posters
BeautyTech Shoppe Milady Publications
BeautyTech Shoppe NailTech Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Empower NailArt
BeautyTech Shoppe EZ Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Odyssey Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Valentino Air Filter
BeautyTech Shoppe Star Nail International
BeautyTech Shoppe Cuccio Naturale
BeautyTech Shoppe Cinapro Nail Art
BeautyTech Shoppe HairCentral

NETWORK
NailTech Connect @ BeautyTech Forums NailTech Connect
BeautyTech Forums Message Boards
NailTech Mailing list @ Google Groups Mailing List
BeautyTech Network Events Network Events

TOOLS
BeautyTech Search Shoppe Shoppe Search
BeautyTech Search Forum Forum Search
Search Business Builders
BeautyTech Professional Licensing Links Licensing Info
BeautyTech Calendar Calendar
BeautyTech.INFO FREE Salon Listing FREE Salon Listing
BeautyTech Photo Gallery Photo Gallery

EVERYTHING ELSE
Advertise @ BeautyTech Advertise
BeautyTech Contact Contact Us
BeautyTech Privacy Policy Privacy Policy

STAY INFORMED

ADVERTISEMENT

FEATURED AD

NailTech.com - Star Nail International, Odyddey Nail, HairCentral, Empower Nail Art

Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Salon Question
01-03-2012, 05:28 PM
 (Print Post)
Salon Question
Good evening everyone,

Happy New Year, may you all enjoy a year full of abundance.

Ok so I am working in a small salon I'm the only tech, also making payments to the owner for the ownership of the salon. I want to change the name of the salon. My question is once I'm the legal owner operating under a new name, hence a new business, while I still have to honor and gift certificates sold by the previous owner or inherit any debt that he has?

Thank you so much for your help
Isabel
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2012, 07:21 PM
 (Print Post)

If it is a new entity, you do not have to BUT you may gain/keep clientele by honoring them in full or half price. Example a $50 giftcard would be worth $25. It would benefit you to post something about the change beforehand and tell current clients to use these cards by x/x/x.

NY Licensed Nail + Waxing Tech
Owner/Developer Suite Tee
http://www.Facebook.com/TashawnaH
Instagram: @SuiteTee
01-03-2012, 07:24 PM
 (Print Post)

I would just make sure to get it in writing that I did not take any of his debt. I woouldn't think you will but.........
As for gift certificates, he needs to let the clients that have them know he has sold the salon and that the GCs need to be redeemed before a certain date before you take over because you will not accept them. But...I think if there aren't many I would honor them- the clients will love you for it and possibly stay with you. If there are GCs for your services, I would honor those- that is your client, even if he does get the money. But again that can be worked out- he can give you a set amount to honor them. Talk it all over BEFORE this is a done deal.

Always be kind....you get farther.
01-04-2012, 01:37 AM
 (Print Post)

I worked for a place that knew they were changing hands, they still sold CG knowing the new owners wouldn't honor them as they don't get paid for them. I viewed this as theft from the current owner and unfair to the coming owner and very tacky on behalf of the clients who paid for something they couldn't use. GC can never expire when they are bought so if you don't honor them and old owner doesn't refund them or give fair notice with offers to refund the old owner may be looking at lawsuites. If it were me buying the shop I would honor them to keep clients and to look good in their eyes. Money is so tight it could be a serious offense in their eyes and that could look bad even though it's not you.
01-04-2012, 02:42 AM
 (Print Post)

When i went independent it was right after the holidays so i knew gift cert had been bought ith the intention of the client to come to me but they were for my old salon. I agreed to honor those to keep my client and so they didnt feel cheated. I lost money yes but keeping a repeat client is worth losing a few $$. You need to check your contract with the previous owner to make sure you are not getting his debt. No offense but you should have checked that before You bought in. technically you shouldn't tho if you are a new entity with a new license and name.

CND trained since '02
Lumos & Famous Names- Famous Partner~ want Lumos? Email me!
http://Www.facebook.com/cloudnineathens
Lumos! Dadi' Oil! Vamoos!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-04-2012, 03:59 AM
 (Print Post)

Quote:My question is once I'm the legal owner operating under a new name, hence a new business, while I still have to honor and gift certificates sold by the previous owner or inherit any debt that he has?

Depends on what part of the business you are buying. You don't mention this. You just say that you are 'making payments for ownership of the business' so I assume it's their whole business you are purchasing. Does the purchase contract not state where the debts are going? If not, it should. (Please tell me you have a contract).

If you are buying the owner's business lock, stock and barrel then the answer is yes, you also inherit the debts the business has unless otherwise underwritten. This is why lawyers are involved in a business purchase as a clause is usually inserted to pass on debts incurred by the current business owner unless you agree to 'buy' them.

A new name and/or owner does not make a business new.

(Yes, I'm Australia but the US and Aussie systems work under a common law system based on the Westminster system and operates under the same principles).
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  question for nail salon owners...did you have to install an cynthiab8506 3 1,688 06-25-2013 06:29 PM
Last Post: CandiceAE
  salon compensation question ctonramk@aol.com 4 931 04-15-2013 08:45 PM
Last Post: ctonramk@aol.com
  working in Salon question ctonramk@aol.com 4 1,026 04-05-2013 10:23 AM
  products provided @ salon question ctonramk@aol.com 12 1,622 02-25-2013 10:12 PM
  Question for salon owners nailjunky 5 1,470 10-21-2012 03:57 PM
Last Post: CandiceAE
  Question ?about salon Owner resposibilities garyjon414 3 1,003 03-08-2012 01:48 AM
Last Post: Gr8Nailz
  Nail Salon Question GlitterGirl 17 5,674 07-20-2011 04:00 PM
Last Post: CloudNineNails