You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shellac with the OPI LED Light???
Does anyone know if we can use the new OPI LED light with Shellac? Could there be any negative problems if we do???
Shellac was not formulated with the right photoinitiators to cure properly in an LED lamp. If you try it, expect all the problems you'd see with undercuring or overcuring. Shellac will ONLY cure in a 9-watt UV lamp, and will only get the optimum cure in the CND UV lamp (or the Brisa lamp).
Elyse in WA
http://www.elysiumnailstudio.com
The Nail Princess is in.
Right, shellac is UV cured, not led compatable. All gels and SOGP will cure in UV but only those made to will cure in led. They might seem cured, they are not. This is the one reason I am sticking with UV. I need just the one unit for my various products Big Grin
nailartist :
> Shellac was not formulated with the right photoinitiators to cure properly
> in an LED lamp. If you try it, expect all the problems you'd see with undercuring
> or overcuring. Shellac will ONLY cure in a 9-watt UV lamp, and will only get
> the optimum cure in the CND UV lamp (or the Brisa lamp).

It needs a 36 watt lamp, not a 9 watt. Each bulb is 9 watt, but the shellac lamps have 4 bulbs.
There are several type of UV (A, B, C) each letter defining a wavlenght (or frequency).
UV-A (315-400 nm) also called blacklight in disco
UV-B (280-315 nm) called medium
UV-C (100-280 nm). called germicidal
standard UV bulbs are around 365 nm (so UVA) , as is 98.7% is UV on earth.
But mercury lamp usually has a main emission wavelength is in the UVC.
LEDS comes in two wavelength. 365-385 (same as UV lamp) or 385-410.
Both are in the long range of UVA, but the second 385-410 is not suitable to replace UV lamp (gel will not cure).
I suspect the new led gels (shellac, OPI, ORLY, harmony etc...) are curing better at long wavelength (385-410) than with the 365-385.
This would explain why you can cure the led GELs with an UV lamp but need longer time, but cannot cure LED gels with regular UV lamp, because there both range slightly overlap around 385 nm.
that probably explains too, why ORLY gel can cure on the brush under a bright sunny light or even a white LED light.
Would be great to have somebody to modify a led lamp to get both type of LED so we could cure any gel brand in it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 21
Views: 40,489
03-19-2016, 01:32 PM
Last Postnailfinatic