You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amazon selling Shellac for $12!!!
Ok, someone please tell me why I don't just purchase my Shellac supplies for $12 and $13 on Amazon??? Really??? Why is it that we pay $15.95 a bottle or what ever crazy price it is and Amazon lists it for less??? Ugh! It just irritates me! Why do they have it on there at all???
Gina, nail tech. NC
Because it could be counterfeit product. That's why I won't touch the stuff, even for a few dollars less.
Elyse in WA
http://www.elysiumnailstudio.com
The Nail Princess is in.
i saw a commercial on tv last night and it was selling perfume and professional hair products, redkin, bed head, ect.. and shellac and opi the list went on.. i see shellac being sold on all kinds of websites.. there also is a major counterfeit bunch of shellac on ebay right now..

i would say that most on amazon and places like the commercial advertised is real but i too wont buy it from there. but i have a catalog from alfalfa nail supply in louisiana and they sell it for 12 bucks too.. you might try there
Kathie Kirkpatrick get a grip on reality and choke it to death
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and
well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally
worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Quote:Ok, someone please tell me why I don't just purchase my Shellac supplies for $12 and $13 on Amazon??? Really??? Why is it that we pay $15.95 a bottle or what ever crazy price it is and Amazon lists it for less???

You will find that a number of third parties sell Shellac and other professional nail supplies via Amazon and eBay. I also know that a lot of Australians take advantage of this price difference as we are routinely charged $30 a bottle.

Quote:Because it could be counterfeit product. That's why I won't touch the stuff, even for a few dollars less.

I don't use Shellac so I don't purchase it but I have a girlfriend who does and it's the real deal from what I can see.

Quite frankly, if you can get it for less then go for it.
Well a lot of suppliers.have their CND on sale this month--- Jan....Cosmoprof has it for$11.96/bottle and their "professional" sizesize of base/ top coat for $37.42 ....not to mention the bulbs are only $26.77 a pack.....which makes them LESS than LE bulbs.....and I love CNDs lamp... Premiere also has basically the same deals....however-- they r doing the colors-- buy 3 get 1 free...which is the equivalent as the $12/ bottle.... these r GOOD deals and I wld stock up for several months at these prices!!!!!

I have. one sincere question to Kathy tho....how can u tell the shellac on ebay is counterfeit?? Obviously the markup from manufacturer to retailer is a given.....but it cld be someone buying in tremendous bulk and selling at discounted prices....happens all the time....so I was curious how to tell??? thanx!!!!
" Take time.....to be kind".....
Angel
~Tracy~

Full Time single mom,
Medical Receptionist &
Part Time Nail Artist
Akron, OH
Not Kathie but you really have to look close at the bottles to be able to tell. Sometimes the counterfieters will ALMOST make the bottle identical, sometimes they just use the same color and lettering but change it just a bit. The bottom line is, a lot of what we use in made in China for money reasons. It makes total sense to me for some enterprising person to decide, "hmmmm, why not make some of this for myself and sell it for less?" Gelish knock offs have been coming out of Chinad for the last year that I know of. It's buyer beware in our market and as a buyer of stuff out of China, most of the time what I've gotten has been just fine. I bought an e file from there, tho, it was a piece of crap!
I have never been one to care much what others think of me, and I won't start now, lol so here goes. I have bought several bottles of Gelish from a suplplier on amazon. They are the real deal. Why on earth would I pay $17 for a color when I can pay $10-$12? And often it's free shipping. There are beauty suppliers on amazon. I don't feel like I should pay full price when I don't have too. It's a money saver to shop there. Phew, I said it.
I've bought many things from eBay that cost me out the wazoo from suppliers. Gel and acrylic brushes are one of my sore spots. I've bought A SET of nice gel brushes for half the price I'd have paid for ONE brush from supplier. So, the gel could very likely be the real thing on Amazon or eBay. It only takes one person turning in a seller for selling something non legit for it to be pulled.
*stands up in the circle* I am Bri Mccloud and I am an amazon prime member.
I have to admit it ladies but even today i bought a bottle of gelish for $13. In this economy i cant afford $20 gel polish plus the ridiculous shipping charges that suppliers request. At nearly $25 inc. Shipping a bottle i cant offer my clients the prices they can afford. Sell out, maybe... But if the suppliers didnt mark it up to the ridiculous point, i would possibly buy from them. Its dog eat dog out there right now, we have to make ends meet somehow.
CND trained since '02
Lumos & Famous Names- Famous Partner~ want Lumos? Email me!
Www://facebook.com/cloudnineathens
Lumos! Dadi' Oil! Vamoos!
Well I'm not doggin anybody for making a living. We have the God
given right of being a US citizen of buying what we want---- where we want.....( within reason of course).
I just honestly wanted to know how in the WORLD we cld tell a "fake" Sheallac/gellish....what have u.....cuz it sounds crazy in my mind....Fake coaches---- yes.....but nail polish??? It soundz like a whole lotta work for something that stupid.
But....in my opinion...the distributors know what they're doing...how do we even know that these same 'distributors' aren't the ones on Amazon & ebay??? I dunno....I'm very analyitical and try to figure out evrytg.....just commenting here....
Could u guys send me some links where u buy from??? I've still been interested in trying other brands...so just hit me up!!! thanx
Angel
~Tracy~

Full Time single mom,
Medical Receptionist &
Part Time Nail Artist
Akron, OH
All you have to do is go to amazon website and type in what you want. I test every bottle i buy on myself before i offer it to the client to ensure that it will work as promised. Amazon does have a return policy so if it doesn't hold on me then i send it back. So far Ive not got a bad bottle yet.
CND trained since '02
This change in pricing is due to a basic principle of economics: Supply and Demand.

Quote:In economic theory, the law of supply and demand is considered one of the fundamental principles governing an economy. It is described as the state where as supply increases the price will tend to drop or vice versa, and as demand increases the price will tend to increase or vice versa. Basically this is a principle that most people intuitively grasp regarding the relationship of goods and services against the demand for those goods and services.

What we have now on Amazon is an abundant supply of Shellac and less of a demand for that brand. The price had to be lowered to get more people to buy the excess product.

Its the same principle for all sogp you find on Amazon at lower prices than your traditional nail/beauty supply store.

Our, "Professionals only", supply stores don't have to drop their prices because we "Pros" continue to demand (buy) our professional products from them at their higher costs. They are able to keep the demand up by telling us their shipments are delayed, limiting the quantities on hand - thus keeping us wanting and waiting to buy their products at the higher prices.

Hello!!!!!!!!!!!

Take a look at OPI's stategy with the release of Gelcolor:

1) We bought that intro kit way back in Oct. at a cost of $500 - $600. It's been so long ago I don't remember what that intro kit set us back for and all we got was that LED light, base coat, top coat, 6 bottles of color and some prep stuff that is readily available. It was just enough stuff to spark an interest in the new product line and create a buzz.

They got us waiting, anticipating.........

2) My shops introductory Gelcolor base and top coat has long ago ran out.
Did anyone (else) do any experiementing with using gelcolor with another brands base and top coat? Ooopps, we aren't supposed to do that. Now we gotta to take the Gelcolor class cause we havin' problems. I wondered how much that's gonna cost?

Okay, seriously - why did OPI make us wait for this product?

We are waiting for the grand release in January. Open stock, how many of you are planning on buying hugh quantities? :lol:

3) I don't expect any deals. We can't wait to get our hands on this product and were are going to pay for it!

Remember, the industry trade shows are about to begin on the West Coast, then on to Chicago, next show in New York weeks later, Vegas then Premeire in June. From previous experiences with show prices - there usually are no great deals to write home about.

4) I bet there will be a shortage of product for us "Pros" at the shows and in our (for Pros only) supply stores, but you will find it on ebay at ridiculously inflated prices.

Supply and demand folks.

Think about it.

Enhance
Quote:Supply and demand folks.

Think about it.

Why bother? Just buy it if it's cheaper. It's not that hard.

Quote:I have never been one to care much what others think of me, and I won't start now, lol so here goes. I have bought several bottles of Gelish from a suplplier on amazon.

Why should anyone think less of you because you buy product from Amazon? I think it's smart. And perhaps if more people did this, the manufacturers would think twice about overpricing their goods.

Amazon engages third parties to sell what they advertise and if it's not as advertised you simply report it and obtain a refund while the third party is investigated and is kicked to the kerb. I've bought things from Amazon US and UK for a while and I've had no problems with them. And free shipping. I mean, you can't beat that.
I too purchase items here and there from Amazon, shipping cost are NOT free with every seller.

ToothyPegs, which seller are you buying from - selling the product cheap and shipping to Austrailia for free?

Quote:Why bother? Just buy it if it's cheaper. It's not that hard.

Some stores on Amazon will list their sogp at a what appears to be a great low price. You pick out your colors and add them to your basket, you are all set to check out and you find the cost of shipping is based on (each) bottle of polish. An $11 bottle of sogp plus $5.00 shipping now cost the same as your traditional supply store.

Also from my experiences with sellers on Amazon, not all sogp colors of a specific line are carried by all sellers. Two different sellers -two different shipping policies.

Enhance
I have never paid more than $3 for shipping my SOGP. At $9-$11 a bottle plus $3 in shipping if its not free and some are, that's $12-$14 a bottle with shipping. Sure beats 0ver $15 a bottle no shipping included.
I'm not here to tell anyone what to do. I don't have an investment in it.
if you decide to start ordering from amazon, make a list of your prefered sellers and when you purchase make sure you buy all or most of what you want from one seller so your shipping is cheaper. or if youre like me invest in amazon prime. the $79 a year is worth it to get free 2 day shipping on everything on amazon. you pay way more than $79 a year throught traditional shipping methods.

i think alot of techs are anxious to admit they buy from ebay or amazon because so many get bashed for it. company diversion and all that. i say if you cant beat em join em.
CND trained since '02
Quote:CloudNineNails :
> i think alot of techs are anxious to admit they buy from ebay or amazon because so many get bashed for it. company diversion and all that. i say if you cant beat em join em.
This is very true here on BT. To many judgement casters. Unfortunate. But I am never up for changing my ways to suite someone else's opinion. Haha. Never never.
Yep me too Peggy.....but I am still interested in hearing how one tells a product is fake or NOT fake......that's was a comment in the begining of the thread was never addressed. Anybody???

And YES Enhanced...we too got " the deal" from OPI if you bought the kit back in Oct...but we still haven't received all of the product that was promised.....soooooo what a deal that was!!!! hahahaha
I'm sorry...I'm being cynical.....bad Tracy..... =)
Angel
~Tracy~

Full Time single mom,
Medical Receptionist &
Part Time Nail Artist
Akron, OH
i accidentally found this thread and i would like to share my opinion.i have been using shellac since it came out and i just love it!i live in greece and the company that curries it sells a bottle at 48 dollars shipping included!due to the economy crisis we had to lower our prices so much that we couldn't afford to offer this service in a competitive price and still be able to have every color that shellac offers.i have never thought to search shellac on ebay before but when i did i was shocked to find out that i could buy the same product for 18 dollars includind shipping!you can see the huge difference that made to my wallet!i am now ordering all my shellac from ebay and i'm 100% satisfied!i wish i could afford to give that money to a company in my country but as someone said we have to consider every penny but in my case its not just a penny!i wish i could order more products from ebay and from usa in general but i know it is more complicated for bigger size products etc.thank god i at least can buy such an expensive product in my country in such a price!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 3
Views: 2,926
07-12-2014, 09:33 AM
Last PostPrecisionNails
Replies: 3
Views: 2,245
03-05-2014, 05:33 PM