You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shellac Alternatives
Hi Everyone,

Gel Polish is my number #1 requested service. I am currently building clientele, and have to run "specials" in order to get clients to try me.

I would prefer not to run these specials altogether but they seem to be standard in most salons. Above all, I care about the quality of the product and don't want to cheapen my service in anyway.

I have been using Shellac for the past year and absolutely love it. However, I need a more cost effect product that I can use for these Internet deals instead of burning through my Shellac as I have been in the past.

What the clients seem to want is this: lots of color choices, and for it to stay on the two weeks. And "french mani's".

That being said, I am considering Eco and IBD since both have amazing colors.

* I do use Gelish and love it...but it's out of the price range for the deals as well.

Can anyone recommend either Eco or IBD as being a good alternative?They seem the most cost effective to me..and also have really beautiful colors. Also, would either line have an ideal "french" pink?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Smile
I don't use Shellac, but do use Eco, Mani-Q & Gelish. Eco is lower priced, but most of my clients won't wear it after trying the other two lines, as they wear better. In a pinch, go for it, but.... What about doing value added specials instead of discounts? I hate to discount, so when I run a special I will add a take home product (that I get a screaming deal on) and some perk (like heated mitts with their lotion) and actually charge a bit more for the special. The bottom line is that you don't want to build a clientele that expects a discount. You will make more in the long run if you build a clientele who are paying you for your time, expertise, and quality products!
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
Hi CandaceAE,

Thanks for your honesty...I needed to hear that. Your suggestions are great! You're absolutely right too...as these deals attract the "discount" shopper.

How to get around this...as I am required to run deals...I am not sure. They insist I give 50-60% off. Thus making me broke. Sad
I don't think you should ever be forced to run a deal you are not comfortable with. Are you a booth renter? If so they shouldn't be allowed to tell you to run something you don't want to.

Besides the best way to get clientele is to know what you are talking about, be confident and hand out cards and talk to everyone and anyone willing to listen to you. Offer them an intro special that isn't going to eat into your profits, like 15-20% off for their first service. And rewards programs can keep them coming back, as well as referral programs. Offer 15% off after 5 services and 30% after another 5 paid services. Or a free mini-manicure when they refer you 3 clients, for example. Your time is worth money, and clients should pay for it.
Hi BornToBling,

In the area where I work...these Internet deals seem to be the "normal salon operating" plan. I recently left a salon that was running WAY too many deals...and I wasn't being paid for many of them and had to buy supplies. And as Candace said..."attracted the discount shopper". Bad experience...so I moved on.

Now, I have positioned myself at two salons. One is a very high end salon/spa with a really nice owner who does not insist I run deals but the prices are much higher. I love the place and truly hope to build a clientele there. There is only one other tech...who is completely booked so I see a good opportunity for me there. I am there two days a week.

The other three days I am at a small salon where the atmosphere is casual and they do alot of "groupons". No one has a full clientele there and I believe groupons are the way they bring people in. The owner, keeps wanting to run a groupon for my services. She wants a gel polish...for about $20. Groupon takes 50%...the owner keeps the other 50%. All I would get is a tip and have to spend about $4.00 to do a service (I do a scrub at the end).

IMO Groupon, the customer and the Salon owners are the only ones who profit from these deals. I feel taken advantage of but don't know how else to get out of the cycle.

I didn't mean this to be a rant...but I am here to learn what I need to.
If you will actually not be getting paid for doing these groupons, then you should refuse. They HAVE to pay you for your work if you are employeed by the company. No matter what. If you are paid by commission, they should you paying you according to the original price of the service or the price the client has paid for the service you offered on groupon. They are not allowed to make you do something that will cause you to not make money, like I said your time is worth money.
I was in a salon that the owner did the Groupon thing. She had a tanning place and added hair and nails. She started it before I went there, so I got roped in for what was out there. Then she turned around and did it again and didn't ask me. Then without asking the stylist or me she did one for $50 worth of services at 50% off on Groupon. That was $25- Groupon got half and I would get half-12.50 I cannot- cou;ld not do that, neither could the stylist. We both left a day apart. We tried to explain to her that she was only attractiing discount clients that were not loyal and only looking for a deal.
Now about the gel polish. I have seen the ladies here talking about the new ibd and say it is a good product. The price is certainly good- half or more less than the others for half ounce bottle and the colors are great.
I figured uo an approximate cost per service for Gelish- that was a bit over $4 for me. With the ibd, I would estimate $2 or maybe a bit less.
Always be kind....you get farther.
Nail Lady...that was almost exactly my experience. Except I didn't put a stop to it until much later down the road. The owner did a deal for $10 for $20 worth of services...of which I got nothing and also a deal that included a blowout and gel nails. When she realized that my portion of that deal was a few dollars more than her cut...I never got paid.

Additionally, I came in when a previous tech had sold deals she didn't honor and was told I had to do those as well. And without pay.

I also approached her about the kind of shopper this was attracting and was ignored. When I told her I was leaving she said "I don't know why you think you're going to do better someplace else...". Then she didn't speak to me the rest of the day.

Thank you guys for your feedback and advice! At least you realized you were being taken advantage early on...but at least now I know and it definitely won't happen again.
If you are an employee of the salon, the salon needs to take the hit, and they are required to pay you whatever your normal cut would be (either commission or hourly). If you are a booth renter, you are technically you're own business, so you have complete control over managing your business.

It sounds like so many salons are taking advantage of their employees from these group deal things and it makes me sick.
I agree I don't like groupon :evil: .

IMO, most of them are one time costumers!.
I remembered sometimes the salon was packed on Saturdays for the mani-pedi deal, having to move clients from the pedicure chair before they have their nails polished, rushing to the next one, one client was really mad :twisted:, because they've moved her like tree times, and guess who ended polishing her nails :x .

Sorry I went off topic

:lol:
I just worked in a salon that closed down due to repetitive Groupon specials. I ignore their calls to me cause I know that it's a rip off. If you're working, they need to be giving you the cut from the Groupon. They're robbing you in your face. That's not right.
Martine M.
SUNFLOWER
lacquercracker :
> Hi BornToBling,
>
> In the area where I work...these Internet deals seem to be the "normal salon
> operating" plan. I recently left a salon that was running WAY too many deals.
> ..and I wasn't being paid for many of them and had to buy supplies. And as
> Candace said..."attracted the discount shopper". Bad experience...so I moved
> on.
>
> Now, I have positioned myself at two salons. One is a very high end salon/spa
> with a really nice owner who does not insist I run deals but the prices are
> much higher. I love the place and truly hope to build a clientele there.
> There is only one other tech...who is completely booked so I see a good opportunity
> for me there. I am there two days a week.
>
> The other three days I am at a small salon where the atmosphere is casual and
> they do alot of "groupons". No one has a full clientele there and I believe
> groupons are the way they bring people in. The owner, keeps wanting to run
> a groupon for my services. She wants a gel polish...for about $20. Groupon
> takes 50%...the owner keeps the other 50%. All I would get is a tip and have
> to spend about $4.00 to do a service (I do a scrub at the end).
>
> IMO Groupon, the customer and the Salon owners are the only ones who profit
> from these deals. I feel taken advantage of but don't know how else to get
> out of the cycle.
>
> I didn't mean this to be a rant...but I am here to learn what I need to.

It's Ok to have a rantSmile we all need to every now and then but can I say, as the saying goes "you tech people how to treat you"
So the more you keep doing these deals, the more your boss will allow it to continue and you being ripped off.
You need to make a stand NOW and put a stop to it. Put it all on paper for the boss to see in black and white and show her how you making nothing, it's illegal and then put it back on her and say to her that she wouldn't work for nothing, so why should you.
You need to stand up for yourself I feel.
If you find yourself no longer working there, it doesn't sound like it will be a big loss anyhow considering your making next to nothing cause of these deals.
Then maybe you can focus on building up your clientele in the other salon.
Remember, when one door closes another one opensSmile

In regards to SOGP brands, I use Polish Pro from NSI, I find the color range great, the price great and affordable and the product great too. All my clients love it and it wears soooooo lovely and the removal process is just the bomb!!! It is so easy to remove!!
I just love itSmile
Hi Sunflower,

I hear ya...one of the nicer spa/mani pedi places in the area I used to live in went under from Groupon alone. One day customers were comparing "us to them"...a few weeks later, I drive by and there's a giant "CLOSED OUT OF BUSINESS" sign on the door...the place completely empty. And with the Groupon people calling us for services and saying they were seeking refunds from Groupon.

I took all of your advice to heart...and today I'm telling the owner I am not participating in the Groupons unless I am paid. Also, someone here...I believe the sexy "BornToBling" said to offer a 15-20% discount for the return visits...excellent suggestion! I'm all over it like a chubby kid on a cupcake...wish me luck. Wink
Wooshka,

I agree. I just told a customer yesterday that she needed to "speak up" for herself more...talk about needing to take my own advice. If you let people take advantage...they will. I learned this the hard way.

It's natural to trust an owner who seems sincere at first. But ultimately, it's up to me to do the math and see who comes out ahead.

I am on commission and from what I can tell, I need to be paid at least minimum wage or the cut I should receive for the service for participating in the deals.

So I am in the process of writing up my terms for the owner. If she doesn't agree, I will just run my own specials and will not be participating in the salon groupon program.

As for Polish Pro...I was just reading all the reviews and it sounds like something I would love to try. I like it that they have some great colors that Shellac doesn't offer. Big Grin
Good Luck my dear! I hope everything works out for you.

Stick it too the mannn!!!!
If you are her employee, anybody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you are supposed to get EITHER commission or minimum wage, whichever is greater for compisation. If they're not doing that then they're breaking the law. http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm has information on this. I'm not a lawyer, but you don't work for free.
Martine M.
SUNFLOWER
I like Eco because the price point is good, I'm a fan of the pot, the product is durable, they have a pretty good range of colors and most of all Star Nails give EXCELLENT customer service!
Crazy in l Heart ve with Cuccio!
I like IBD gels, both builder and soak off types. That said, I agree with everyone else that you shouldn't be giving away your services, especially to coupon clippers :roll: .... there are way too many salons out there for you to be stuck working for some cheap crazy lady
lacquercracker :
> Wooshka,
>
> I agree. I just told a customer yesterday that she needed to "speak up" for
> herself more...talk about needing to take my own advice. If you let people
> take advantage...they will. I learned this the hard way.
>
> It's natural to trust an owner who seems sincere at first. But ultimately,
> it's up to me to do the math and see who comes out ahead.
>
> I am on commission and from what I can tell, I need to be paid at least minimum
> wage or the cut I should receive for the service for participating in the deals.
>
>
> So I am in the process of writing up my terms for the owner. If she doesn't
> agree, I will just run my own specials and will not be participating in the
> salon groupon program.
>
>
> As for Polish Pro...I was just reading all the reviews and it sounds like something
> I would love to try. I like it that they have some great colors that Shellac
> doesn't offer. Big Grin

I just realised I typed tech instead of teach (must be the nail side coming outSmile
I'm glad you read it how it was intendedSmile

Yep, that's all you can do, is stick up for yourself and take it from there.
At the end of the day it's your boss who is doing wrong, not you, so if she fires you I'm sure you would be able to take some legal action or something like that.
I hope it doesn't come to that for both of you but if it does, then I think you will be much better off without a working environment like this.
This groupon thing is only just becoming popular here in Australia but what's interesting is, there is not a week that goes by that 2 of our major current affair shows have a story talking about how bad they are and how they rip people off.
There was recently one young struggling family who took themselves out to dinner thinking they were getting a great deal and they ended up getting arrested because the owner charged them for all these things that wasn't in the deal but he insisted they pay, they refused, he called the cops and they got in trouble cause they wouldn't pay anything above the deal price.
It's now in the hands of the court.

I wish you all the luck and make sure you keep us posted as to how things turn outSmile
Wooshka,

OMG! I've heard horror stories for some of these places, too from the customers. One lady bought a massage from Groupon and went to a very sketchy location. (Personally, I wouldn't have gone in)...she had a very disturbing experience which included, a creepy masseuse, no sheet to cover her, and a weird man pacing back and forth outside the room while the door was open the whole time. I asked why she didn't leave...her response, " I thought it was legit - it was Groupon! "

To the rest who have offered great advice, I can only update by saying I am still in the process of working this out. I submitted my proposal for deals last week and will find out what she says this week sometime.

I think she is running Groupons to keep the girls in the shop busy as none of us have customers. The owner's clients pay the bills but she runs these Groupons thinking it's going to build everyone a clientele. I can tell you...it won't. These people are deal shoppers, and usually come in with screwed up hair that they have tried to dye themselves. The salon charges a fraction of what they should to fix it...the customer will take it...and just repeat the process someplace else. That being said...these customers are not ideal nail candidates. If I offer anything for a reduced rate they may accept, but won't be back. They don't seem to care about upkeep or quality..just prices.

I think these deal sites are the way people are shopping these days because of the economy. They are supposed to be an introductory offer ..to get customers to try you. But there's just so darn many of them that the customer can easily shop another when the time for a return visit comes.

I've grown frustrated watching this process, and dealing with some of the people who claim their nails come off just to get another set. Those who demand three coats of shellac and leave a $3 tip. People with funguses who want them "covered up". And my personal favorite...people who want a full pedicure for $15. Guess where those feet have been?????

Anyway, thank you all for your help, advice and support. It has caused me to take a different direction than before. And I'm going to see what happens next. Smile
lacquercracker,
eco Soak Off UV Nail Color is an excellent choice if you want to be more cost effective. The pots are ALL now 1/4oz! Most likely you can expect 30 - 40 TWO coat applications from each pot. Some people will apply it too thick OR on big nails, if applied properly on normal nails you should get 50-60 applications per pot.
Don't forget that can use eco So Quick Soak Off to the last drop, you can not do that with the "polish bottle" types.

As for French's there are several great option.
Q. What are the "French" application techniques that Elaine uses?

CandiceAE,
If your clients are getting better wear from other brands, I suggest you check your application for eco. eco does not need to have the edges "capped" We found that actually decreased wear long term.

I totally agree about not doing discounts, Groupon etc. Generally, these people are bargain hunters and will not become long term clients. Offering some sort of added value, say a paraffin dip - especially nice in the winter - might bring in some quality people.

Don't forget you can request a free sample of eco by clicking the link in the logo area of the web site!
Lorraine, webgirl
http://www.ManicuresThatLast.com
eco Soak Off UV Gel Polish No Solvents, Double the Size - Same Price!
Cinapro Nail Creations - New Art Kits!
http://www.ScentualSpaProducts.com
Cuccio Natural - Enhance the Spa Experience
Free Shipping on all orders over $75