You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I hate to do this but I have too......
I have to make doing nails a "hobby", not my job.

I've been fighting with my hubby for months over this. I have tried everything and anything for the last 4 years to get anyone new in my chair. I hate to admit this but I only have 18 regular clients. Really? I'm totally freaked out to look for another job. I'll be doing my 18 clients from my home.

I've bbeen doing nails for 18 yrs and have never been at a low like this. I do commend those of you who are busy. Actually jealous in a good way. I don't know if its the state I live in or what.

I will stay around this forum. I will continue to soak in all the info I can.
Marie A. Soto
[email protected]
Sorry to hear that. I find it interesting that nailgalinaz is also posting she is "throwing in the towel" and it appears you are both in Arizona.
I saw that too.
Marie A. Soto
[email protected]
If you keep doing it part time from home you at the very least you still get the reward of doing what you love and who knows what the future holds. Remember one door shuts and another opens.
I am in a thriving city for the most part, but I am self employed and the location is destination so I get no walk ins. I too have been doing nails 18 years. When 9/11 hit I lost 1/3 of my clients to job loss. It was hard. Then the salon was shut down with no notice, so I had to move to the next most convenient location in town. And the economy tanked, taking another handful of clients. I work 3 days a week, and most of them are not full, I get by helping pay the bills but it's not easy and it's disheartening to see such a loss in income for me over the last 10 years. I make less than half of what I used to. Recently I published my free website to yahoo and google which was also free and I do get a few calls a month. Nothing like it used to be and I am hanging by a thread. My handful of standing loyal clients are the only income I have to help my family. If I could do it from home I would, but I am 25 miles from the shop location. I totally understand your position and I feel for you. I hope it all works for the best!
Thanks Sobeit. Your story sounds just like mine. Good luck to you too.
Marie A. Soto
[email protected]
I'm so sorry to hear about how poor the business is for your area. I'm actually surprised I'm doing as well as I am considering I live in what's called a 'state' town where the largest employer is the state of TX. But I have to say, I'm not really gaining many new walk-ins. If it weren't for my established clientel, I'd be in the same boat as you. Hang in there if you can, keep doing your ppl at home. Something will come up for you!
Sorry to hear about having to "get" a job. From what I've heard AZ has been hit hard, especially in foreclosures. At least you will get to do your regulars and keep them happy.

I know if it wasn't for my long-term, loyal clients, I wouldn't be doing as well as I am. I am grateful for them every day!! I'm not totally convinced that everyone is doing that great. Thank you for sharing and maybe more will share what they are really experiencing.

Just know that you aren't the only one having to go through this. Wishing you all the best.
I think I have about 35 regular clients. I already work kind of part time, but so far this has been enough. Ive had some very spare weeks, however. But in this economy, what I am most grateful for are the ones who will cut out their lattes and other extras so they can get their nails done. Nails is absolutely the last thing they will let go of, or at least one of the last. I am very, very blessed!
Elyse in WA
http://www.elysiumnailstudio.com
The Nail Princess is in.
mas nails :
> I have to make doing nails a "hobby", not my job.
>
> I've been fighting with my hubby for months over this. I have tried everything
> and anything for the last 4 years to get anyone new in my chair. I hate to
> admit this but I only have 18 regular clients. Really? I'm totally freaked
> out to look for another job. I'll be doing my 18 clients from my home.
>
> I've bbeen doing nails for 18 yrs and have never been at a low like this.
> I do commend those of you who are busy. Actually jealous in a good way. I
> don't know if its the state I live in or what.
>
> I will stay around this forum. I will continue to soak in all the info I can.
Wishing the best for you.God has a plan and you are in it.
>
I'm sorry mas Sad

I hope things work out for the best. It's no fun looking for a new job. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
Hmmm...interesting that you are in Glendale and I am in Gilbert. I am only doing it part-time, so thank heavens for my full-time job. I am going to try to hang in at least through the holidays. I know that this is a very slow time of year in Arizona, but we are over run with "those" shops and I believe that economy is definitely affecting it. People will always get their hair done, just may stretch it an extra week or two, but nails seems to be the luxury that is the first to go.

I am not sure how long I can hold on not making money every week. I am planning a fundraiser in memory of a very dear friend for the ALS Association in October. I will see after that. I am very sad, but can't see myself being able to make a living doing nails.

Angela
Angela
Angel
I'm just bumping this up because I want to say that the US economy is on the news all the time over here and I'm seeing massive job cuts and losses and drops in the market that haven't been seen since the 1940s and, quite frankly, I worry and wonder how any of you manage.

The fact that you just keep going is admirable.
It's a big country, and it's what, 10% unemployement give or take, so were 90% working. Some states have cities that have a higher rate of unemployment like factory dependent workers. The entire world is in an economic crisis.
Well actually the official figures we've been getting is that it's around 30%, property foreclosures are at an all time high and special extensions have been made re welfare benefits as people just aren't making it. Given that your country has no form of mandatory social welfare programme, I see that as being a big deal.

I hate to burst your bubble but the entire world isn't in economic crisis although, according to the IMF and the stockmarket to name a few, the US is creating a financial crisis for the world. Australia and China are just two of the few countries who are going gangbusters and even the IMF's latest announcement a few days ago has the US, apart from losing it's triple A credit rating, as being the forerunner as the causation of the latest economic crisis. Perhaps it's because Obama would like to think 90% of his people are working too? However, the figures being broadcast here tell an entirely different story. And I worry about this. Only a few months ago, the US avoided a fate similar to Ireland's - a total fiscal meltdown.

Yes, you have a big country. I'm not sure what you were meaning by that but in my book 250 million is a lot of people. Even if you were correct with 10% unemployment rate, that's 25 million out of work.

And with an infrastructure that is barely keeping your country afloat, that's 25 million too many.
why cant the two of you mentioned go in together and try to get it on in the world of conveinence maybe then you can both hang in there
Kathie Kirkpatrick get a grip on reality and choke it to death
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and
well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally
worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Kailek, was this aimed at me? Confusedhock: I don't understand your rudeness. This is a first I've found on this forum.

For your information, I was merely pointing out the reality that is shown to others in other parts of the world about the US economic crisis and my genuine concern regarding it.

This is not a slanging match nor is it intended to be so please don't make it one. Rather than gripe, it would've been good if you could've added to the conversation. 2c doesn't buy you much these days Big Grin

I am just providing insight into what news we are given over here but still very much in admiration for those who keep going despite the odds.
whooo where is all that economic stuff coming from..
in what i see across the board.. we nail techs like to be on our own.. doin our own thing, being our own boss..la la la and thats great and jim dandy but when the economy is playing a hand and the asian salons are kickin our butts to the curb.. economy my arse! greed.. we want me me me.. if we could just get a grip on our local techs and band together when these times do hit our areas i think that putting 2 or 4 or 6 gals of us in one spot would rock your pocket book girls.. those salons are not only being used because they are cheap.. its because you can waltz right in and get in a chair.. i can say that me me me stuff because i have become one.. but now that i turn away business and thats where they go i see it bigger than ever.. band together if you are individually not making it .. heck it cant hurt.
we need to take back our nail world economy from the low ballers.. and they are taking it away from us quick and its like i said they are conveinent

ok spell check is not working..lol

i turn away a lot of business.. cant get any help in my shop..but i hear girls saying how hard of a time they are having near me..(well they dont want to drive 30 min to work) its hard to be on your own sometimes and especially if you are tech under 3 years

just my two cents Smile dont bite me..lol
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and
well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally
and not to start a rukkus but hunny our social welfare system is sucking the life out of our country.. oh we have one but no one is held responsible for getting off it, and obama wasnt my pick i can tell you that
Sorry, K hun but I'm not that judgemental.

If someone's doing it tough I'm not about to suggest that really they aren't because everyone's circumstances are different. I really feel for the OP.

Not sure what it's like where you are but I'm surrounded by techs who are very supportive and not at all egotistical as you suggest.

Good luck with that.
im not suggesting ego at all.. just we want to be so independent that we are almost doing ourselves in. i am trying to be supportive. here in the us and especially here in texas a new quickie salon opens on every corner. they are taking the market because they can team up.. now how and why that happens with them is a whole nother story but it still adds up to the same conclusion.. they are creating their own market and taking ours. this has been a debate on here for ages that peeps feel they cant compete. i know the economy is in the can but not everywhere is it affecting those salons so i think that we should look at their plan of action and maybe start using it ourselves to save ourselves in times of need. it makes sense. it saddens me everytime i see one more tech having to stop what they love and i am only trying to interject reality into the equation.
yes i watch the news, i see what you say, your right on most counts.. thats not my speech.. and i was not trying to be rude only to the point. sorry you took it as such.
my first statement which you took that way was aimed at the two girls mentioned in arizona who yall said have called it quits
and i do feel for those that are being hit hard by the economy, no disrespect, only a suggestion .. sorry if i offended anyone
About June 1st of this year, I hung up my brush. Daughter was going to be w/o care . Business was going downhill fast. I decided to leave on my terms- not be forced out. I still have about 8 clients that I still do. Most are in their later years and suffering from age related illness.
I dont regret my deecision - in fact Im now wondering why I waited so long to pull the plug on my failing business. Now I dont need to slice myself into pieces to dedicate myself to multiple energy drains. Now I do the important things first, then attend to those things that fallen way down on the prioirty list. Financially, all loans were paid off a long time ago. Its nice to have a little pocket money.
I do feel for those who have lost their livelyhood. Heres to a better future .Where everyones needs are met- and then some. If people have more money in pockets, they need somewhere to spend it. Lets hope there are large group of beauty professionals still here to servicel those clients.
Quote:Well actually the official figures we've been getting is that it's around 30%, property foreclosures are at an all time high and special extensions have been made re welfare benefits as people just aren't making it. Given that your country has no form of mandatory social welfare programme, I see that as being a big deal.

I hate to burst your bubble but the entire world isn't in economic crisis although, according to the IMF and the stockmarket to name a few, the US is creating a financial crisis for the world. Australia and China are just two of the few countries who are going gangbusters and even the IMF's latest announcement a few days ago has the US, apart from losing it's triple A credit rating, as being the forerunner as the causation of the latest economic crisis. Perhaps it's because Obama would like to think 90% of his people are working too? However, the figures being broadcast here tell an entirely different story. And I worry about this. Only a few months ago, the US avoided a fate similar to Ireland's - a total fiscal meltdown.

Yes, you have a big country. I'm not sure what you were meaning by that but in my book 250 million is a lot of people. Even if you were correct with 10% unemployment rate, that's 25 million out of work.

And with an infrastructure that is barely keeping your country afloat, that's 25 million too many.
This is way off topic but there are not 25 million people out of work. 9-10% of the labor force is unemployed. The labor force only includes people 16 and over who are employed or seeking work. Basically not children, retirees or homemakers. Even with a population of over 311 million there is way less than 25 million people unemployed. Most modern nations desire unemployment under 5% (there will always be some unemployment due to people being in between jobs). Believe me if the "official figures" were at 30% you would know.
I’m not sure you understood my post, Jim. I used an earlier comment of 10% and applied it to an estimated populace of 250 million based on vagaries.

10% of 250 million is 25 million. Just math. Big Grin
Toothypegs :
> I’m not sure you understood my post, Jim. I used an earlier comment of 10%
> and applied it to an estimated populace of 250 million based on vagaries.
>
> 10% of 250 million is 25 million. Just math. Big Grin

What I was saying is that the labor force is not the full 300 million population. It is about half the population. Around 15 million people are unemployed. When people say that unemployment is at 10 percent that does not include children, or retired people or homemakers; only the labor force (people who are employed or seeking employment). So basically out of that group of approx. 150 million adults who are working or looking for work 10% are in the group looking for work. 10% of 150 million is 15 million.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 17
Views: 9,436
07-26-2013, 12:16 PM
Last Postjgayle01
Replies: 13
Views: 10,381
07-25-2013, 02:41 PM