You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice Needed: SOG Gel Polish & Swimmers
I have a new client who has come to me to get the new SOG Gel Polish Manicures. I've only done her manicures a couple of times, and it isn't staying on terribly well. The only difference between her and the hoards of other satisfied clients I have is that she swims almost every day. Do you all have any advice about maybe which SOG line might work best for her and her conditions? Will take any and all advice. Thanks guys.
Terri Lancaster
Nails By Design
253-350-2591

SPREAD VICIOUS GLEE!
I use Eco and mani-Q lines right now, I've had better success with swimmers in the mani-Q, but for the really hard-core swimmers I usually will switch them to an overlay in hard gel.
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
Candace... do you think the new gel polish that is coming out in several brands right now that are 100% gel would work for her? Akzentz and IBD are coming out soon.... just wondering. Maybe Jessica can chime in.
Terri Lancaster
Nails By Design
253-350-2591

SPREAD VICIOUS GLEE!
Gr8Nailz :
> I have a new client who has come to me to get the new SOG Gel Polish Manicures.
> I've only done her manicures a couple of times, and it isn't staying on terribly
> well. The only difference between her and the hoards of other satisfied clients
> I have is that she swims almost every day. Do you all have any advice about
> maybe which SOG line might work best for her and her conditions? Will take
> any and all advice. Thanks guys.

Is she using her cuticle oil immediately after she swims? That may help. However, anything that is soaked off doesn't hold up well on those who are in water a lot. The water molecule penetrates the product which is what makes it soakable. Probably would have better luck with a file off gel product line.
I have many client with swimming pools and two teenage girls on the swim team. With them I use YN's protein bond under the sog and I top it with a traditional gel sealer. The bond makes it stay and the gel sealer such as YN's Finish keeps the color from fading due to the chlorine. When they come in for removal/reapplication, I just buff the tops of the nails quickly to break the seal and remove as usual. HTH
Terri, I think it's possible, though the Eco is also a pigmented gel and it doesn't hold up as well on my tougher-on-their-hands clients, and the application isn't as smooth IMO. I'm always watching the new lines and willing to try them as they come out, especially since YN still only has 28 colors! I'm especially interested to see if OPI's new system is any good with the name recognition that would be awesome, as the Axxium s/o is definitely not a contender. :lol:
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
MickeysNails :
> I have many client with swimming pools and two teenage girls on the swim team.
> With them I use YN's protein bond under the sog and I top it with a traditional
> gel sealer. The bond makes it stay and the gel sealer such as YN's Finish
> keeps the color from fading due to the chlorine. When they come in for removal/reapplication,
> I just buff the tops of the nails quickly to break the seal and remove as
> usual. HTH

Is the gel sealer you are using non-soaka
ble? I can see where that would help. I might try that with Shellac and see if that helps those in water a lot. TY
Good point. I also thought that a non-soakable gel top coat would work over whichever SOGP that she picked. She tends to choose Gelish and Shellac so far. She comes in on Tuesday - so I'm going to try her SOGP and then top it with traditional gel top coat. I imagine that when she returns that I will have to carefully file off the top coat before I can soak off. Thanks so much.... many brains are better than just mine!
Big Grin
Terri Lancaster
Nails By Design
253-350-2591

SPREAD VICIOUS GLEE!
Yep, the usual sealer I use is Young Nails Finish (on my problem sog wearers). I believe it is technically non soakable as it is used over traditional gels and acrylic. I just "break the seal" by buffing off the tops first and with these gals I soak off since I use the protein bond too. I use it with Gelish, Shellac, and Mani-q color. My housecleaners who claim they wear gloves (which I sometimes doubt- but that's another problem) can keep the sog polish on.
I have also had an issue with some of my swimmers. I have one client who trains for triathalons, swimming in the local river daily. I use YN Protein Bond under whatever she uses (Shellac or Gelish) without any problems or peeling. I have also noticed no real problems with swimmers who use public pools. Where I do notice an issue is in private home pools, that have been "shocked" or have unusually high levels of chlorine. These clients have terrible adhesion and come back peeling and without product. I have heard that since they are porous, they absorb chlorine especially well. That seems to be proving true. Sorry I can't offer solutions, other than using the Protein Bond...just some observations. This seems to be a problem with SOGP's.
Debbie in VA
I have been using Young Nails Mani-Q. The instructions are to put the protein bond on the free edge. I have had no problem. I swim every day, work in an office handling papers every day, use antibacterial lotion all the time, I have dogs I do agility with and a horse I ride, so my hands take a major beating as far as handling paper, saddling, unsaddling, grooming, water, etc. and my ManiQ last good well into the end of the second to third week.

Angela
Angela
Angel
I use Gelish and have had great luck,,, I have swimmers, and yes lifeguards, and I have not had any troubles.
Buffie / Buffie's Place, SW Kansas...

We are not in Kansas anymore toto!!
If you ever efile the color off, I would do the base layer of hard gel (very thin but makes a big difference), color then non porous top gel. I have some tricks to make nails stick amazingly well, but obviously the better it sticks the harder it would be to soak off- I'm sure your aiming to keep your soak off to 10 minutes. You can try using classic gel as top coat, but without the hard gel base you may see cracking/shattering if the hard top gloss because natural nails are flexible.

If your interested in trying Luxio before you buy, I'll be having a launch party at my shop at 7pm august 27th. I have tables set up for techs to try out the product on friends- your welcome to bring the swimmer! Our tests have shown it stays remarkably well. If you can't make the party we have promotional specials and you can just pick a color she would like, base and top coat and be set (it's uv or led cured, no special light needed).
Jessica Hoel
Nail Professional
Akzentz Distributor & Educator
http://www.luvnailz.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 7
Views: 3,965
07-05-2015, 05:03 PM