You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEED a pedi soak that kills germs. What do you use??
Footie :
> polishedgirl :
>> say what yall will girls, I always put one table spoon of BLEACH per gallon
>> of water of tub. NO it doesent dry them out and ive done it for years. thats
>> also how i clean my tub and NO you cant smell it i use ebsomesalts as well
>> and any essential oil i plz and yes i know there are certain oils to avoid.
>> You girls are so critical, do you make 50 thousand a yr doing pedis and nails?
>> then SHUT UP! and BTW yes i do make that much
>
> Well, that is the first time I have ever seen someone argue all by themselves,
> LOL.
>
> As for the essential oils, and to get back on topic, I swear by tea tree oil.
> When I have feet that smell like rotten cheese, I slather them in tea tree.

Rotten cheese?!? Confusedhock:

Oh, btw, Footie, had a fellow tech see her first "baby diaper" fingers (poo under the nails). I'm scarred for Life LOL.
>
Well, congrats to her... she has now been initiated Tongue

Oh, and for the record, when I said "when I have" I mean my clients feet not mine. LOL.
polishedgirl :
> like shut up is not a known slang thease days! i dident say i left my insterments
> in the bleach< forgive me girls, thats why i stay off here for the most
> part. We wont get out furr all ruffled . Have a good evening all!

It isn't a slang when you are telling people to shut up if they aren't making as much as you do........period. I didn't say you left your instruments in bleach. You said you used bleach in the tub and that is what I was referring back.

AND I never said I disagreed with anything anyone said on here. I have done my research and asked manufacturers what is in their products, and what to use and not use in your whirlpool pedi tubs and have shared that information. If you don't agree or take offense then you can do what you want. I prefer to hear from others who have had experience and have asked questions as to what is good or not good to do or use. But hey, that is just me, evidently.
You know, it's been so long since I used a whirlpool type spa chair, I didn't even think about it staining the tub. I understand that the tea could potentially stain the tubs, but like I said, I don't use a spa chair, so no worries for me.

I don't watch Dr. Oz anymore either - however, since I drink tea every single day, I can't imagine that it's going to harm someone's feet! Not to mention that although the items I suggested aren't commercial grade, they are food products, meant to be ingested. So, I'm not sure how they are going to harm a clients feet. If someone has information re: tea, baking soda and white vinegar that shouldn't be used during a pedicure (although I have only ever used tea bags), could you please provide that information?
What did Dr Oz say? I guess I am in the dark on this one! And here I thought he was pretty cute...
Yeah, them spa tubs..not so prevalent here in Cali anymore 'cept at the Chop Shops. Everyone's starting to use those cutesey "Footsie" tubs now. Smile

I like where the Industry is heading. Smile
Oh Footie - it was crazy!!! Ok, I can't quote exactly what he said, I'm sure there are some ladies on here who can tell you better than I can. From what I remember, he was saying how bad nail services are for you and was talking particularly about acetone being damaging. Then he put some styrofoam into a container of acetone and it dissolved - of course! Last time I checked, nails aren't made of styrofoam, so not sure what his point was. I know there were a few other things he said about our industry that were completely false. I also believe he was approached by some nail techs and they wanted him to correct what he had said and he refused to.

Ladies - help me out here. It's been awhile and I can't remember everything that happened. I do believe there is a thread here that will explain it better than I am attempting to. LOL
That's exactly what we use! Before that we had glass vessel sinks plumbed into the pedestal we had built for pedicures, so it's been some years since I used a whirlpool chair. I love the Footsie bath!!! Big Grin
Erika_in_Boise :
> I am re-starting as a nail tech after 6 yrs out. I asked friends to volunteer
> to let me do mani/pedis on them. I did the first one today and she had VERY
> smelly feet. Not like infection stinky, but sandals/not washing well STINKY.
> SO...please tell me WHAT you use as pedi soak or what you may suggest for
> this issue. Honestly, I did a very thorough job on her and she STILL smelled
> like sandals after the whole pedi. Obviously, I would never want a client walking
> out stinky, so what should I buy as pedi soak that will kill germs/smell? Thanks!

Erika...has there been a huge debate going on because everyone seemed to think you meant "spa pedicure basin"? I'm not seeing that in your original posting here. If that's the case, then epsom salts or even some vinegar or tea, will work just fine, tyvm. Smile

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Sherrie90630 :
> That's exactly what we use! Before that we had glass vessel sinks plumbed
> into the pedestal we had built for pedicures, so it's been some years since
> I used a whirlpool chair. I love the Footsie bath!!! Big Grin

***Footsie baths are awesome; Katie uses them at The Painted Nail. Smile
look i love this board. I had a bad day and it was no excuse to be rude. I am sorry. to day is a fresh start and I will do better! Hears to being imperfect sometimes, and the compassion you can get from this board also! Love to all.
polishedgirl :
> look i love this board. I had a bad day and it was no excuse to be rude. I
> am sorry. to day is a fresh start and I will do better! Hears to being imperfect
> sometimes, and the compassion you can get from this board also! Love to all.
>

Apology accepted!! We all have bad days. Hope you have a great day today!! :wink:
polishedgirl :
> look i love this board. I had a bad day and it was no excuse to be rude. I
> am sorry. to day is a fresh start and I will do better! Hears to being imperfect
> sometimes, and the compassion you can get from this board also! Love to all.
>

Durn, but you made me laugh. I needed it LOL. I think people get ruffled too easily here. No offense ladies, I take staunch stances too. And poor Suzanne from Harmony...remember that? Yeah, the tussles here get crrraaazyyy.

<3
*nailnazi* :
> i use dawn antibacterial dish soap! i figured it's safe and gentle enough
> to clean up oil spills in the ocean and all the poor sea creatures, then i'd
> bet it's ok to use on people's feet Big Grin i buy the orange scent, people love
> it! they're always asking what i'm using. plus, it's cheap! i also use it
> to scrub my implements before i stick them into the disinfectant, so i get
> a lot of use out of it. and when i send my clients to the sink to wash, MANY
> of them grab the dawn and wash with it instead of the hand soap, which always
> cracks me up! :lol:

Hmmm....I just bought some Dawn that is pineapple scent....may just throw that in the next time Big Grin
~~Kristy~~
I'm going to try that too. : )
Too bad it isn't Palmolive. Madge would be very happy that you gals are using it in your business. lol
http://www.gehwolonline.com/index.php?pa...&itemid=21
the smell of this product is so strong and nice that covers even the smeliest feet! Smile i have tried many products but this is by far my first choice.
Sherrie90630 :
> Oh Footie - it was crazy!!! Ok, I can't quote exactly what he said, I'm sure
> there are some ladies on here who can tell you better than I can. From what
> I remember, he was saying how bad nail services are for you and was talking
> particularly about acetone being damaging. Then he put some styrofoam into
> a container of acetone and it dissolved - of course! Last time I checked,
> nails aren't made of styrofoam, so not sure what his point was. I know there
> were a few other things he said about our industry that were completely false.
> I also believe he was approached by some nail techs and they wanted him to
> correct what he had said and he refused to.
>
> Ladies - help me out here. It's been awhile and I can't remember everything
> that happened. I do believe there is a thread here that will explain it better
> than I am attempting to. LOL

Wow! What a terrible analogy he made. Table salt can be fatal too if you have too much of it! Cocoa and sugar dissolve in milk, but I still love my hot chocolate. How stupid for someone who is supposed to be so smart. I googled "acetone dr oz" and this came up:

Quote:Dr. Oz tv show recap: 3 fingernail facts

1. Acrylic nails rip off the nail when removed
2. Biting nails can create infection
3. Acetone dissolves Styrofoam and nails

Solution to infected nails:

* 2 drops lavender
* ½ cup apple cider vinegar
* Water

Thanks for letting me know. I don't think I will be DVR'ing him anytime soon. I wonder how well that "solution to infected nails" works. It doesn't seem too strong.
He's such a dumba**. My apologies for name-dropping, but there is a wealth of Knowledge on epsoms out there. Don't hate the Salt, hate the Player. Smile
There are anti microbial foot soaks out there - Dr. G's has one. Some fizz balls and products to put into the pedi water that sanitizes the water are easily available at Beauty Supplies. They do not disinfect the water but sanitizes it making it cleaner than tap water. Bleach in the water is good as well, however I would not use it when soaking the feel -not good (or very conditioning for skin)....Anti bacterial soap helps too however it may foam too much in a jetted tub. And as much as we like oils be careful when using a jetted tub. Tends to junk up the jets, even when you disinfect for 10 minutes in between pedis like were supposed to.
Vicki
*nailnazi* :
> i use dawn antibacterial dish soap! i figured it's safe and gentle enough
> to clean up oil spills in the ocean and all the poor sea creatures, then i'd
> bet it's ok to use on people's feet Big Grin i buy the orange scent, people love
> it! they're always asking what i'm using. plus, it's cheap! i also use it
> to scrub my implements before i stick them into the disinfectant, so i get
> a lot of use out of it. and when i send my clients to the sink to wash, MANY
> of them grab the dawn and wash with it instead of the hand soap, which always
> cracks me up! :lol:

I always use Antibactierial hand soap for my pedi tub. If the feets are stinky i have a some pedi fiz tabs that have mint and eucaliptis smells to it that i sneek onto the tub.
Ya I have no use for Dr. OZ. His team do not do their homework.
Vicki
I use sani tabs with any soak I use. Lately I am loving Qtica smart spa because it doesn't leave residue. when I santize the tub I notice a LOT less gunk from the oils etc with this line. The sani tabs should kill anything if you follow the instructions and of course clean your tub according to your state laws.
I will have to try Sani Tabs - but do they clean the water in the tub or do they disinfect the spa tub? According to most state board rules you need to clwan the tub, then use an EPA registered disinfectant and run it with jets on for 10 minutes in between each pedicure to disinfect.
Vicki
Vicki - way back when I had a discussuion on this board about the Sani Tablets with you and others. Sani Tablets are not a disinfectant for the tub. They only clean the water and sanitize their feet while in the water. They are labeled as a disinfectant in their packaging, but I believe you were the one that told me you couldn't find them listed as a disinfectant with the EPA. I quit using them for that reason. The spa cleaner for hot tubs/whirlpools does the same thing and is a lot cheaper.

I am really surprised anyone can use a detergent in their whirlpool pedi bath as the suds would be over the top. And as I and Vicki have both stated it is not a good idea to use products that have a lot of oils in them as that can build up in your whirlpool tub. If you are using a foot bath, then that is different, however there can still be quite a bit of residue left that has to be cleaned up.

As with anything it is a matter of choice, but you should be following your state regs and using a dish detergent or bleach more than likely isn't in your regs.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 6
Views: 3,712
09-28-2012, 09:28 AM
Last Postartdesigninc
Replies: 12
Views: 9,337
07-22-2011, 09:16 PM