You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Toenail Fungus
#1
I have started working in a Salon with Retired People as my Customers. Noticing a lot of Toenail Fungus and most of them have not touched their toes in a long time. Do you have any tips out there for me to help treat and care for these peoples problems (they most likely will not go to doc)? Also, when the nails are so thick that you can not cut them is there any way to trim the nails other than a file?????? Thanks for your help, this was a eye opener for me, BIG TIME!
 Reply
#2
First off, when you deal with these clients, always wear gloves! Second of all, I don't know about your state but ours forbids us from working on anyone with an infection.

To answer your question about how to cut the thick toenails other than with an e-file, there's large toe nail clippers you can get, they look like cuticle nippers on steriods. Those are must of thick nails!

I use the large nail cutters, and also small jawed cuticle nippers which are more able to get around really c curved nails that a lot of the elderly have.
 Reply
#3
In speaking with a podiatrist, you are not going to hurt or spread the fungus by working on peoples toenails with this issue. Yes, advice...Gloves! Also, in my research using Tea Tree Oil will also start healing the problem. I am going to help these people bc I am the only one they are coming to and they don't know they have a problem bc of their age (....

Thank You for the Nail Cutting Tools (info)...

Any other information, I would love to hear!
 Reply
#4
Listerine!!! I had heard this but wasn't sure but I asked a dentist and she said "well ya, listerine was actually developed during the war for fungus and foot problems" They had such big vates of the stuff with out a use and someone decided to use it for mouth wash. She also said not to use it for mouth wash because it too hard on your mouth :lol: :lol: :lol:
 Reply
#5
Oh Wow! Do I put it in the foot bath to have them soak in it or on the individual toes? Thank You!
 Reply
#6
I think any would help but I believe soak cotton balls in listerine and apply to the affected toe for 10 min a couple of times a week.
 Reply
#7
Also Vick's Vaporub will work. I've had a client clear her toes in about 6 months using noting but that. Also, soaking in white vinegar has been known to help.

Supermomsuz1, I agree with the what the Podiatrist said, just so we're on the same page here, the only problem is that most boards DON'T agree with the Podiatrist!
 Reply
#8
I just read up on the origins of Listerine in Wikipedia and while I didn't see anything about it being used to treat foot fungus anywhere in the article, I did see that the at least 2 of the oils used to make Listerine are antifungal. I think it would definitely be worth trying on problem toes if someone can't take the meds for it internally.
 Reply
#9
back2you :
> Listerine!!! I had heard this but wasn't sure but I asked a dentist and she
> said "well ya, listerine was actually developed during the war for fungus and
> foot problems" They had such big vates of the stuff with out a use and someone
> decided to use it for mouth wash. She also said not to use it for mouth wash
> because it too hard on your mouth :lol: :lol: :lol:

What what! I looked up Listerine and it says it was invented as a surgical antiseptic? Hmm, I dont know what the truth is, but I never thought of putting it anywhere but my mouth. Interesting!

LOL @ the side effects...

Quote:Soaking your feet in Listerine is completely safe, with the only side effect being aesthetic. Due to the green tint of the mouthwash, the feet can temporarily turn a greenish color but will disappear quickly.

Read more: Will Listerine Cure Toenail Fungus? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/way_5149770_listerin...z1UbQnyux0
 Reply
#10
Well my dentist said she learned it in School. Besides I don't think Listerine would want that as common knowledge LOL. Surgical Antiseptic is probable there spin on it Smile
 Reply
#11
Hey now, I appreciate this. My man suffers from fungus. Much appreciation, I'll get the clear. I don't think his office-mates would appreciate "blue" feet.

Confusedhock:
 Reply
#12
I think it needs to be the brown listereine.....anybody else...?
 Reply
#13
so I talked to my doctor and she said a little bleach in water and soak the foot. But some really good news is that the prescription medicine for foot fungun is now on the cheap menu at walmart. the most cost is the kidney test that has to be done before the med can be prescribed. But it is good news for us.
Licensed Cosmetologist
Practicing Nail Tech
[email protected]
A user of T.E.N. Gel and Young Nail Acrylic.
 Reply
#14
luvnails :
> I think it needs to be the brown listereine.....anybody else...?

**


Ok, I'll get the brown ty.
 Reply
#15
I never heard of listerine either but I have heard of the Vicks Vapor Rub. I have a question for you all though! I just started working in a salon and did my first pedicure and sure enough my client had what I know now was a toenail fungal infection that she must have picked up at her last pedicure somewhere. I didn't know as I was doing it for sure what it was so continued after consulting my boss. My question is I just want to make sure I sanitized my foot spa properly and I read where you need to pop out the spa jet covers and clean inside....we couldn't pop ours out. Does anyone know if this is necessary? I did a thorough cleaning with cascade and bleach, soaked it over night and have continued to spray and clean it as I'm freaked out about it now. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks!!

Terri
 Reply
#16
tlclapp64 :
> I never heard of listerine either but I have heard of the Vicks Vapor Rub.
> I have a question for you all though! I just started working in a salon and
> did my first pedicure and sure enough my client had what I know now was a toenail
> fungal infection that she must have picked up at her last pedicure somewhere.
> I didn't know as I was doing it for sure what it was so continued after consulting
> my boss. My question is I just want to make sure I sanitized my foot spa properly
> and I read where you need to pop out the spa jet covers and clean inside...
> .we couldn't pop ours out. Does anyone know if this is necessary? I did a
> thorough cleaning with cascade and bleach, soaked it over night and have continued
> to spray and clean it as I'm freaked out about it now. Any suggestions or
> comments? Thanks!!
>
> Terri

***


The VVR is recommended at night. It coats the toes and "smothers" the oxygen that the parasites would "breathe in". You coat the toenail, then wrap it in gauze or a band-aid, and put on socks to prevent sheet staining.

I'm going to try that also on my man.
 Reply
#17
I suggested a client of mine give VVR a try since she had health issues and didn't want to take meds for what she felt was a fungus. I can attest to the fact her nails cleared up really fast! I was shocked at how fast it happened! The thickess literally started growing off, and normal new nail grew in til all her nails looked normal. She quit using it for a while and it started to come back, so she's back on it again.
 Reply
#18
Donna in Huntsville, TX. :
> I suggested a client of mine give VVR a try since she had health issues and
> didn't want to take meds for what she felt was a fungus. I can attest to the
> fact her nails cleared up really fast! I was shocked at how fast it happened!
> The thickess literally started growing off, and normal new nail grew in til
> all her nails looked normal. She quit using it for a while and it started
> to come back, so she's back on it again.


**

Good to know because my man has the thickness and yellowing.
 Reply
#19
Unfortunately toenail fungus is difficult to treat because your feet are warm, in a dark environment and moist. I have tried pills and they are not completely effective unless it is a new formula in the last few years. My friend of mine recommended me to use All Stop Toenail fungus Treatment shop.qbased.com/toenail-fungus-treatment-p/as00002.htm from Q-based Solutions. After a week of used my nails look clearer and nicer and a month later I have beautiful healthy nails. It is a good decision to follow the advise from my friend. In addition, I ordered 3 bottles and wanted to return 1 bottle, its good that the company is very understandable and received the return product and I got refunded. Thanks A lot
 Reply
#20
Even if you clear up foot fungus you can easily re-catch it just by wearing your shoes! Alls shoes worn during the time you had the fungus need to be disinfected or tossed.
 Reply
#21
I recommend Tammy Taylor Thymolize Solution, it works great as long as your diligent! I also agree, we are the only help some will get.
 Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 1
Views: 1,339
04-06-2014, 10:06 PM
Last Postsillysoup
Replies: 8
Views: 5,041
10-02-2013, 11:26 AM
Last PostCandiceAE
Replies: 6
Views: 5,208
08-08-2012, 02:18 PM
Last Postgelpro
Replies: 1
Views: 1,696
08-06-2012, 09:34 PM
Last Postjavamama14821
Replies: 9
Views: 11,928
08-01-2012, 07:27 AM
Last Postjavamama14821
Replies: 11
Views: 8,143
05-23-2012, 11:41 PM
Last PostJess in WA
Replies: 2
Views: 2,474
05-18-2012, 11:29 AM
Last PostLexieLou

 
Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)