You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
protein bond vs linkage
I redip the brush when I'm applying the Linkage. I can get maybe 2-3 nails with each dip. I really don't have much on the brush because I don't want to flood the nail. There's just enough to coat the nail area. It doesn't take much. Of course when I'm doing a fill, I use less. New sets take more and I need to dip for each nail.

I really don't get any debris in the bottle because before I apply it, I basically scrub off anything that's left on the nail with a mani brush and a nail prep (a dehydrater and an antiseptic similar to Scrub Fresh). When I'm finished applying the Linkage, I wipe the brush on a nail wipe then use the wipe with acetone to wipe off the threads.

I just figured I better make it work. It's awesome stuff!
so Donna what are your steps?how do you use it?
I use medical grade swabs. I dip once per hand, then I break off the stick to use for mixing pigment during the service, lol. It's easier than trying to find my little spatula. Not sure if Brenda has med. grade swabs, if she doesn't and you want to try some, let me know, I'll send you some.
I have looked and searched for THE perfect Linkage applicator. The swabs IMO waste too much product and you can not get the linkage up into the cuticle and side walls good enough with the rounded tip. The new brushes seem to allow for a better coverage of the linkage but I have had complaints about them also. I have been trying to include an extra bush cap with every bottle of linkage. I have been rotating two of them every few days on my bottle. When one gets gummed up I throw it in some acetone and soak it clean. Sometimes I even take a dotting tool and clean the threads inside the cap. When I change brush caps I use a DRY paper towel and clean the threads on the bottle. Even though your lid might be tight, if it has product dried in the threads of the cap and or bottle it can prevent the bottle from sealing air tight. I am using bottles of linkage completley to the bottom of the bottle cleaning this way. I hope this helps because I know how frustrating it is to loose or waste product.
ALWAYS, feel free to contact me directly because I seem to hardly ever get to the boards as much. I'll be more than happy to help in any way.
Are your nails Tuff Enuff ??
http://www.tuffenuffnails.us

Brenda Anderson
President/Nail Tech
Tuff Enuff Nails
Checotah, Oklahoma USA
[email protected]
918-231-3000
thank you all for your help!i will tell you soon about my personal experience with linkage when i 'll get it! Smile
I just wanted to post that put my Linkage in one of those slanted polish holders and today I checked the level and it's almost gone! I couldn't believe it, usually it's gotten thick on the last 1/4'' of the bottle, but this time it stayed perfect all the way to the end. Woo Hoo! That's using a swab, too. I'm wondering if having the bottle in that holder blocked more light from getting to it........hmmmmm.
Can you use this with acrylic or gel only? I did not see that anywhere in the thread Smile

Thanks,
Shanna
Donna in Huntsville, TX. :
> Here's the problem with Linkage when you talk of storing some other bottles.
> ...it's exposure to air that activates it. So when you transfer it to another
> bottle that's not full, then it has air trapped in the bottle with the Linkage.
> I've left work on Friday with a quarter of a bottle left, thinking I'd have
> enough to get me thru til my next one arrived, only to come in on Tuesday and
> it's all gone! (I might not have had the lid screwed on tight enough,
> too :oops: )
>
> If I were going to transfer some to another container I'd use somethng you
> can get the air out of. What comes to my mind is the small pinch seal bags
> that tips come in. You can pour some in it, make sure the air is out, seal
> it, and store it in a dark place.

Donna i didn't quite understand how you can do that with the bags.you mean if i transfer it in a small bottle then to store it in a bag that has no air in ?What i was thinking is to transfer a small quantity of linkage to a small bottle with a syringe.what do you think of that?
Shanna702 :
> Can you use this with acrylic or gel only? I did not see that anywhere in the
> thread Smile
>
> Thanks,
> Shanna

Yes, it can be used with both Acrylic and Gel.
sorry for taking so long to get back on, been really busy and just had no time to get on here.

OK, with the bag idea....I was remembering the baby bottles that came out years ago, depending on how old you are, you might not remember them. They had a bag inside and as the baby drank, the bag would go down, collasping in on itself and the baby wasn't getting so much air as it drank. I was thinking the same thing could apply to this but the logistics of it would be waaaay too difficult. The small bags that tips come in would work well for that.

You know, I think even keeping it in the syringe could work too, it would be vacuum sealed, you could dispense a bit at a time, and the rest of the time the syringe would be kept in a drawer out of the light. Hmmmmm.......
Thanks everyone!
I've had increasing problems with lifting... I really don't have that many acrylic clients anymore, more gel or wrap. I've tried a lot of different products... I get the same results, either I am doing something wrong consistently or the problem is with those clients... one thing in common, long term clients, the lifters are all in their 60's or 70's... nails (hair, skin) getting thinner.
Talking with a coworker last night, she is using Protein Bond.
reading their site info on it, too much trade speak... organically bonds? (sounds better than carbon doesn't it), double stick tape?
thinking, need to read other reviews...

Thank you for all the great information!

I think I will try Linkage... cutting the brush shorter and keeping it in a dark airless environmental, perhaps burning some incense to it.
I was impressed to see their co. Pres join the conversation. I was surprised to see, when I posted pics of OPIs dried up gel polish base coat (new from the store, they were all like that) never comment. It says much about a product developer... we want products that are not a bigger problem than a utility. And product that decays (showing me her "s" gel, the coworker was surprised to see it had become thick and hazy, showed me a jar of builder that was too thick to spread, received at the Biosculpt class)... money is tighter than used to be, I'm a lot more cautious about waste and about spending money to try products. And about the time arguing wasted to have a refund for bad product.

What a wonderful tool Nail Tech is in that department!
Thanks again!

looks like Linkage is only available at T.E.N.?
rats.. I hate paying shipping for one little item... I suppose the tax saving will off set the shipping ;-)

Is their acrylic product good?
maybe I'll buy the trial kit...

Q, does it work with polish too?
I'm not sure they've got an acrylic out yet. It was talked about but wasn't introduced while I was with the co. They've also got pigments if you use those. Or you could buy TWO bottles of the Linkage and you'll get a bit of savings that way.
Correct application solves a lot of problems that any primer cant help...some nail types are stubborn ,but I have found my product application remedies a lot...
(09-15-2012, 01:22 PM)Donna in Huntsville, TX. Wrote: I'm not sure they've got an acrylic out yet. It was talked about but wasn't introduced while I was with the co. They've also got pigments if you use those. Or you could buy TWO bottles of the Linkage and you'll get a bit of savings that way.

Displaying 1 to 3 (of 3 products) Result Pages: 1

http://www.tuffenuffnails.us/index.php?cPath=33
Acrylic,
Bullet Proof Acrylic Powder .5oz PINK
$15.00
buy now

Bullet Proof Liquid Monomer 2oz
$16.50
buy now

(2) Yes, that is a possibility... with a new product, I like to start small.
Does Linkage work like Protein bond, under regular polish?

confusing,
http://www.tuffenuffnails.ca/index.php/c...?q=Linkage
Search results for 'Linkage'
Your search returns no results.

Yes, it can be used under polish. Just remember all the do's and don'ts with it. If it thickens, pitch it coz it's already been activated in the bottle and it's useless.
Youngnails suggests curing the protein bond in a uv light for 10 seconds for problem lifters. I find that it works well.
Hey Something Wonderful is sold by Nailiteinc.com. you can call and ask for a sample from Lisa. Shes awesome and im telling you-- u will love it. But even with the best of the best primers out there you still have to do exceptional prep of the nail. I use the OPI pusherplus and a Mehaz Curette. The curette gets the pterygiym that no other pusher can get at. If you dont get it off the nail plate and have a good palette to begin with you will have lifting issues. Then i cleanse the nail well with acetone and apply the something wonderdul. I went online and bought the medical grade 'qtips'..they are a stick with only one end usable. Its wound much tighter than the actual qtip brand and u dip it in the bottle and i tap it on my towel-- and u can do all ten nails. Then just break it in half and Voila!!! No cross contamination and its easy. You can get like a 500 count box for around $15 and that will last a longg time.
Oh..and PS..i use the SW with all my nail services too...regular and shellac manicures...etc..it works great!!Wink
" Take time.....to be kind".....
Angel
~Tracy~

Full Time single mom,
Medical Receptionist &
Part Time Nail Artist
Akron, OH
Received Linkage, I'll try that one first...
but, no detailed instructions... couldn't find any on site either...

how much to use? use very thin or enough to feel the slightly sticky? or more?
apply only over new nail or over old (prepared) product too?
drying time?
use with primer or instead of?
I don't imagine you can use it with nail wraps?
for use on natural nail, same as above?
anything I did not think of?

I did cut the brush short, helps control amount without wiping brush a lot, have it warped in a dark paper, will figure out something more sophisticated soon.
Keeping the threads clean, easy with the short brush.

will keep nailite's product in mind for continued trials ;-)

Thank you!
One thin coat is all you need
Apply to the new growth on a fill, entire nat. nail doing a f/s.
There is no drying time
You don't need a primer, Linkage IS your primer
You can use it with anything

Once it gets thick, pitch it, it's no good. If the lid sticks on, use a pair of pliers or something like that to release the lid. Grip is firmly enough to stop it from moving, gently and slowly twist the bottle. I can't emphasize enough SLOW and GENTLE, do this fast and you risk breaking the cap. Do that and your product will be GONE by the next day due to evaporation. If you happen to have an empty bottle handy to pour Linkage into, that can save your investment. ALWAYS keep it in a dark place and I highly recommend a bottle holder for it. If you spill it, you'll cry, lol.
Linkage is very finicky but an awesome product. Save it for your bad lifters, and use either Nailite's Something Wonderful or Young Nails Protein Bonder.
(10-08-2012, 03:20 PM)Donna in Huntsville, TX. Wrote: One thin coat is all you need...
****how thin? barely wet, if a bit more, will it interfere with adhesion?******
Apply to the new growth on a fill, entire nat. nail doing a f/s.
*** if some gets on the product, will it interfere with adhesion?***
There is no drying time
You don't need a primer, Linkage IS your primer
You can use it with anything
*** so it works with wrap too... for that matter, I do some Juliet Wraps too (remember them ;-) )***** Curious, since it should not be drying, have you noticed if it helps condition dry nails too? Wondering if I should try it with some natural nail clients who have been having more problem with peeling edges as they age... my clientele is getting older...

Thanks for the great details, I hate "trial and error" ;-)

Once it gets thick, pitch it, it's no good. If the lid sticks on, use a pair of pliers or something like that to release the lid. Grip is firmly enough to stop it from moving, gently and slowly twist the bottle. I can't emphasize enough SLOW and GENTLE, do this fast and you risk breaking the cap. Do that and your product will be GONE by the next day due to evaporation. If you happen to have an empty bottle handy to pour Linkage into, that can save your investment. ALWAYS keep it in a dark place and I highly recommend a bottle holder for it. If you spill it, you'll cry, lol.
*** funny co worker said exactly the same thing about her protein bonder, she spilled most of it... I've been standing it in a saki cup****
Linkage is very finicky but an awesome product. Save it for your bad lifters, and use either Nailite's Something Wonderful or Young Nails Protein Bonder.

***I'm good at finicky, as you can tell from my questions*****

When Linkage is fresh, i.e., just opened a new bottle - apply one coat to the natural nails of each hand. By the time you get back to the first finger to begin work on it, you'll notice it's not really wet looking. You only need to apply enough to cover the nail. If it's running into the cuticle, you're using way too much and risky uneeded exposure of the chemical to the client. The only time it'll look wet is when it starts to thicken. If it's the consistency of water, it's good. A bit more is NOT needed, it's THE strongest bonder on the market, imo.
If it gets on the product, it won't hurt anything.
I don't think there's anything in it to condition a nail, it's strictly for bonding.
I kept mine in a black holder that holds it a tilted angle plus the holder shields the bonder from light. I actually got more usage out of the bottle when it was in the holder!
FYI, once it gets close to the bottom, I'd pitch it. No matter how much I'd cleanse the nails before application, there's always some dust that gets in the bottle. To keep from contaminating your prepped nail, never shake the bottle around much. It stirs any sediment at the bottom. If the brush can't reach it, then it's time to get another bottle.
(07-30-2011, 09:24 AM)javamama14821 Wrote: I love Linkage, BUT.... the last two bottles with the new brushes in them, dried up half way through, and yes I do oil the threads and clean the threads after every use, I am not going to buy it again, because its way too expensive to be loosing and entire half a bottle twice in a row. I dont know what to do now, because linkage solves all issues.

Shannon A.

Yup... that is why I am back in the conversation... purchased Linkage, completely wowed... every single product improved, some amazingly. Some clients who have really thin nails and use wraps... amazing adhesion.
Not even half a bottle used, and it is almost solid. As it thickened more clients who lift a lot began lifting. Way too expensive (part of that is shipping) to use 1/3 bottle.

Q, can it be thinned? does it work as well?
Q, if I decant it, pour some into a smaller bottler so the original bottle is only opened once a week, does it not thicken so much and keep its amazing adhesive qualities?

I purchased Entity's (?) Nu Bond, I was told it is the same kind of product, so far, not as impressed.

(07-31-2011, 11:12 AM)Donna in Huntsville, TX. Wrote: Here's the problem with Linkage when you talk of storing some other bottles....it's exposure to air that activates it. So when you transfer it to another bottle that's not full, then it has air trapped in the bottle with the Linkage. I've left work on Friday with a quarter of a bottle left, thinking I'd have enough to get me thru til my next one arrived, only to come in on Tuesday and it's all gone! (I might not have had the lid screwed on tight enough, too :oops: )

If I were going to transfer some to another container I'd use somethng you can get the air out of. What comes to my mind is the small pinch seal bags that tips come in. You can pour some in it, make sure the air is out, seal it, and store it in a dark place.

Surprises me, I would have thought a plastic bag would be too porous for this kind of chemical.... really can keep it fresh in a plastic bag?
How about decanting small amounts into a small bottle?
but then the lager (original) bottle would have more air...

a local hobby shop has small plastic brushes that I imagine I can use and clean between clients (didn't like swab)...
clean with alcohol?

she could sell a thinner ;-)

How is the Nailite "Something" doing?

Someone had said the used Linkage for natural nails, tried it, worked until it thickened.... but, cannot remove it entirely from nails, built up after a while and now I cannot get it off with water, alcohol or polish remover
I've not tried the plastic bag idea, so whether it'll work or not, I don't have a clue. There is NO thinner for it. some have had good results with decanting a small amount in a smaller bottle and working from that, but in any case, everytime the bottle is opened, the bonder is coming in contact with the air and it will continue to degrade. Once the thickening process starts, you might as well throw it out, as said per Diane, the PREVIOUS owner of the U.S. TEN, the bonder has been activated and is no longer useful.

It's an awesome product, but not worth the hassle until they figure out how to keep it from solidifying in the bottle....it's way too costly. I was told YN's protein bonder had the same problems until it was thinned down, I don't know that for a fact, wasn't using YN's stuff back then.
Are you still using it?
I placed another order... the results on some clients with thin nails and chronic lifting was so impressive I decided to go for the sure thing...
but I'll probably try some others in the mean time on some of the marginal lifters
and try some of the suggestions
If I can get 2/3 of a bottle out of it... might be close enough, in the mean time, who know what some one will think of.
thank you so much for all the time you have spent sharing your knowledge ;-)

No, I'm not using it any longer. I've switched YN's protein bonder and having great results.
I'll pass along something that I think helps with getting the most out of your LInkage....I kept mine in a black holder that tilted it. It almost completely covered the entire bottle, and it was kept inside a drawer when not in use. I can remember for sure, but it's possible even exposure to light thru the bottle can cause changes. I used a medical swab instead of the brush. One tip of the swab should do all 10 nails. The brush will trap air in the bristles as it's put back in the bottle not to mention debri from the nail. I would open my bottle, dip the swab and immediately close it. I was able to use nearly the entire bottle this way! Otherwise, you really need to clean the brush before putting it back in the bottle, and then squeeze it thru some paper toweling to remove alcohol/acetone, and air. Huge time waster.....
If you want to try this method and need some swabs, inbox me with your mailing address and I'll send you some.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 11
Views: 2,575
07-17-2016, 11:10 AM
Last Post[email protected] USA
Replies: 7
Views: 14,929
07-10-2016, 09:45 PM