You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A couple questions
Hello everyone!

I really enjoy doing my nails and my kids don't need mommy around like they use to. So I'm wanting to go to nail tech school. I would have to take out student loans to pay for the schooling.

So my questions are...

Do I have to do feet? I really don't like feet. They are just nasty to me.

Is it hard to find a job in this industry when you are just out of school?

Thank you for your help!
Unfortunately, you HAVE to have pedicure training in school (haha - I don't like feet either)... at least that's the way it is here in Washington State. I just sucked it up and got through school - and don't offer pedicures in my business. At first it was hard to build a clientelle - because I had to turn the pedi business away to someone else - but it enabled me to concentrate on perfecting my artificial nail and manicuring skills. Good Luck!
Terri Lancaster
Nails By Design
253-350-2591

SPREAD VICIOUS GLEE!
I figured I wouldn't get away with NOT doing it in school. I also thought maybe it wouldn't be so bad once I had to do it. But I really don't like feet. I don't even like someone touching my feet. I'm a freak. It is nice to know that once I'm out of school I can just do finger nails. Thank you for answering Gr8Nailz!
I know I can't change your mind on not liking to do feet, and I used to feel the same way you did, until I realised, that without foot care, the Industry is seriously lacking, but that's JMHO personally.

I would say as a student, practice, practice, practice. Our teacher had us do drills to be able to paint a whole set of nails, either regular polish or french, w/in 5 minutes, manis w/in 15 mins, and pedis w/in 20 mins (I kid you not) and hence, I can do that now believe it or not.

As far as getting a Job....I was hired last week for my very first Job, and the expectation is for me to be able to do manis AND pedis, it's called starting from the ground up......you will largely be expected to do feet I'd say if you work for someone..if you don't, then you can say "no" but it will affect your income as clients may choose to go somewhere else for their services.

Good luck!
At least with feet you know where they have been. I have seen boogers, poop, pubic hair, and many unknown things under clients nails. Sure, you have them brush with soap and water, but you would be surprised what people come back from the bathroom with.
Footie :
> At least with feet you know where they have been. I have seen boogers, poop,
> pubic hair, and many unknown things under clients nails. Sure, you have them
> brush with soap and water, but you would be surprised what people come back
> from the bathroom with.

Ewwww...

Confusedhock:
OH Ewwwww is right! Maybe I should start liking the feet. That is just wrong.

I just hope it's one of those things I can get over once I've done it many times. I'm trying to think positive.

Thank you!
moonkissed :
> OH Ewwwww is right! Maybe I should start liking the feet. That is just wrong.
>
>
> I just hope it's one of those things I can get over once I've done it many
> times. I'm trying to think positive.
>
> Thank you!

Can I be honest? I hated feet, until I was able to help people with their ingrown nails and actually was able to do some pedicures on elderly clients..being able to care for their feet became really rewarding for me because I knew I was doing something special...the elderly can't always care for their feet as well as they'd like to.
Two things to consider when thinking about feet in our business:

1. They are cleaner than hands.

2. Profit margin on pedicures is the highest of most nail services.

If that doesn't convince you to do pedicures, not sure what will. :wink:
Pedicures can be a great business builder when you're just starting out, and Cheryl is right, they are very profitable. Since you haven't even started school yet, please keep your mind open to working on feet. If you can get past it, you will learn skills to enhance your income. Your clients will be pleased they can get all their nail needs tended to by one person, and not have to go elsewhere.
Laura Merzetti
http://www.scratchmyback.ca
CND Education Ambassador
Toronto, Ontario Canada
And let's face it, I'm going to be honest: WHO doesn't LOVE a good massage on their feet and legs?? I find it way more relaxing than hand massages, period.
Thank you girls! I'm keeping an open mind. I am going to check out the school here in town next week. I made an appt.

Erindoesnails- I've never had a pedicure so I don't know what it's like. Smile I've also only had my nails done once when I was a teen.
I remember thinking just like you 12 years ago.....

AND like a member said before, I know where feet have been, flip flops in the summer, shoes and socks in the winter.....

Feet are really no different than hands. (Well Hands are worse if you want to talk about germs)...

End the end of the day, it's about loving total Nail Care.

In Beauty School, you might see the worst feet out there, suck it up, it's the means to where you want to go. (saying that nicely, not meanly Smile)

I can still remember my first pedi out of school, it was fab! When women are willing to pay for Prof Pedi's (especially those that come every 2 to 3 weeks) they take care of themselves, and their feet are beautiful.

I wished sometimes my toes, would look like their pretty little toes. Smile

Here is what I HATED in BS, pedis, and perms.....My first day out all I did was pedis and perms, and when I saw my check, i was like ok!!! NO PROBLEM! Don't hate feet, feet are beautiful to! Smile
moonkissed :
> Thank you girls! I'm keeping an open mind. I am going to check out the school
> here in town next week. I made an appt.
>
> Erindoesnails- I've never had a pedicure so I don't know what it's like. Smile
> I've also only had my nails done once when I was a teen.

It's amazing, especially if the Tech knows Reflexology (like I do). Smile I would suggest if you dare, to treat yourself to a pedicure but best thing is, you'll get them in School. Smile

I'm so happy you made an appointment! Let us know how it goes. Smile
Oh..and a p.s.: One of the coolest things you can do as a Tech as well is to make your scrubs and lotions and masques and soaks. There's tons of free information out there on the 'Net as to how to do it, (recipes etc.) and studies have shown that there indeed is "power" in Aromatherapy..it can uplift yours, and your client's moods, help "soak away" stress, help you sleep better, help you feel energized...the possibilities are endless and once again, there's your "higher profit margin" because clients will LOVE having their feet and hands scrubbed and "tended" to and those up-sells on adding in homemade sugar scrubs, healing soaks, or cooling foot masques (just as examples) can add up easily to an extra 5-20+ dollars per service.

I think you're going to be happily and positively surprised at the Wonderful World you're joining.

I welcome you. Smile
Thank you Erindoesnails! I'm going to look into the scrubs and lotions.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to work the signatures. Big Grin
Suzanne -

We lived in KC for 9 yrs before we moved from state to state. I miss everyone there.

I hope my mind changes like yours with the feet!
Awwwww a kc girl, now u have my heart, lol!

Feet are a major money maker girlie...... Start changing your opinion get in school, learn, grow and make that money hunnie!
Awwwww a kc girl, now u have my heart, lol!

Feet are a major money maker girlie...... Start changing your opinion get in school, learn, grow and make that money hunnie!
Also, when you're a newbie, pedicures are more forgiving. Hard for clients to scrutinize their toes from every angle like they do with their fingers.
So funny Polished20. I never thought of that.

Thank you Suzanne!
I had to stop doing pedicures, and I'm kinda bummed about it. I liked being able to offer a clean, safe service for my clients, and they just always felt so good when I was done. But with my fibro and degenerative disc disease, I just can't do them anymore.

Give Feet a CHANCE! Big Grin
Elyse in WA
http://www.elysiumnailstudio.com
The Nail Princess is in.
I'm sorry Nailartist :cry:

I am going to give them a chance.

I just got home from the dentist office and the lady doing my cleaning kept going on and on about my nails. She kept saying that she couldn't believe I did them myself. Made me feel good. I'm getting all excited about checking out the school next week! :lol:
Another KC girl here. Grew up in KC! Welcome to the board!! I like the point the Polishedup said......they can't check their toes as closely........lol!! :wink:
Thank you Idonls!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 0
Views: 956
09-26-2012, 12:40 PM
Last Postjluper7297
Replies: 6
Views: 3,150