You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
BeautyTech.com

BeautyTech Main PageBeautyTech Main Page        BeautyTech ForumsBeautyTech Forums        Beautytech ShoppeBeautyTech Shoppe        CalendarVisit Nailtech.com        Like us on Facebook        Follow us on Twitter        Find us on Pinterest        View our videos on YouTube       
click THIS... win STUFF...click THIS... win STUFF...        SponsorsSponsors        NT Mailing List SponsorsNT Mailing List Sponsors        SearchFREE Salon Locator Listing        LINDLI Network Day       
FAQFAQ        ContactContact        SearchShoppe Search        SearchForum Search        Make Homepage

BeautyTech Dedicated to Educate and Decorate BeautyTech Home

BeautyTech Sponsors SPONSORS
BeautyTech Sponsors NT Mailing List Sponsors

CONTESTS
BeautyTech click THIS... win STUFF... click THIS/win STUFF
BeautyTech Strut Your STUFF Competition Strut Your Stuff

SHOPPING
BeautyTech Shoppe BeautyTech Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Swap & Shop
BeautyTech Shoppe Salon Posters
BeautyTech Shoppe Milady Publications
BeautyTech Shoppe NailTech Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Empower NailArt
BeautyTech Shoppe EZ Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Odyssey Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Valentino Air Filter
BeautyTech Shoppe Star Nail International
BeautyTech Shoppe Cuccio Naturale
BeautyTech Shoppe Cinapro Nail Art
BeautyTech Shoppe HairCentral

NETWORK
NailTech Connect @ BeautyTech Forums NailTech Connect
BeautyTech Forums Message Boards
NailTech Mailing list @ Google Groups Mailing List
BeautyTech Network Events Network Events

TOOLS
BeautyTech Search Shoppe Shoppe Search
BeautyTech Search Forum Forum Search
Search Business Builders
BeautyTech Professional Licensing Links Licensing Info
BeautyTech Calendar Calendar
BeautyTech.INFO FREE Salon Listing FREE Salon Listing
BeautyTech Photo Gallery Photo Gallery

EVERYTHING ELSE
Advertise @ BeautyTech Advertise
BeautyTech Contact Contact Us
BeautyTech Privacy Policy Privacy Policy

STAY INFORMED

ADVERTISEMENT

FEATURED AD

NailTech.com - Star Nail International, Odyddey Nail, HairCentral, Empower Nail Art

Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
:)
07-23-2011, 10:24 PM
 (Print Post)
:)
Thanks.............
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-23-2011, 10:36 PM
 (Print Post)

Wow, I'm so sorry you've had to go thru all that! I know you should definitely turn them in to your state board.

Also, she told you to work certain hours, which in the IRS rules makes you an employee, you could certainly do something about that.

I'm assuming you didn't get anything in writing which would have helped tremendously but those kind of places count on the newbies not knowing what's right and wrong about that situation.

It's a hard lesson you just learned.....I hate it for you. Always make sure all things agreed on are wrote down, it protects you and the owner both. Please don't let this eat on you mentally, it'll just give you an ulcer! Go forward, do what you feel you need to do to deal with this and keep looking for a better place. At least you know now what kind of place you DON'T want to work in!

A busy salon like that run correctly will give you lots of experience and can make you lots of money, too. Good luck!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-23-2011, 10:38 PM
 (Print Post)

OMG, that is horrible and I feel bad for you that this person took advantage of you and in your inexperience. But you will just have to live, learn and move on. What she did was totally illegal, but w/o anything in writing or a check you can't prove anything and she knows it. Cash transaction, no paperwork, no record.....your word against hers. About the only thing you can do is report the illegal activities they are doing in the shop to the State Board. I would imagine if you do a google for your cosmetology board and the state you are in something should pull up. Is their phone number not on your license? It is in mine. If you really want to get nasty you can send a letter to the IRS that they aren't claiming all their income. Anonymous or not, that is your decision.

You really need to find a regular beauty salon to work in. There are plenty out there who might be willing to hire unexperienced nail techs or maybe find someone you can assist. Did your school not have a list of some who were looking for someone?

Should always get something in writing, even if it just on a single piece of paper, at least that is better than nothing and have both of you sign it and date it or at the very least a check showing payment for comission in providing services.

Hope this helps. Chin up and hang in there! :wink:
07-23-2011, 11:47 PM
 (Print Post)

If you are truly concerned about public safety call state board. If you're only now thinking about calling them to get even with them, now that you're not working there, then let it go. If you want to call the labor board, probably at best you would have about $60 after taxes owed to you. Would you qualify for unemployment, difficult to say. Should you chalk this up to a learning experience and call it good, I would say yes. But you need to do what you think is best for you.
07-24-2011, 05:43 AM
 (Print Post)

Sorry you went through this.

I hope you'll soon be able to find a place to work that appreciates all you did in school, your hard work accomplished to get your license, and realizes your potential.

Please don't give up your dream; as frustrating as some of the obstacles will be along the way. You could look back on this horrible experience, in some time, and learn what you don't want for yourself.

Are there many reputable nail techs/salons that you could try to connect with in your area? It's important to be able to work in an environment where things are done properly. Especially when just starting out.

Best of luck~ Smile

~Certified Master Pedicurist~
~Advanced Nail Technician~
07-24-2011, 11:54 AM
 (Print Post)

There are several violations in this story. If it were me, I'd report them to your State Board for all the sanitation issues, for the Payroll violations, and also for probable IRS violations involving cash. Sometimes an audit of one area sparks and audit of another. Maybe nothing will stick, but at least you know you did the right thing. You probably will never be compensated, but you learned a LOT! At least you can walk away with your head held high.

Diane
07-24-2011, 12:18 PM
 (Print Post)

i m sorry to read that
that kind of experiences are always bad
next time be sure you have anything written on a contract don t trust people
and yes i would report this salon because this is really bad advertising for our job

my nails blog in french :
http://miaminails.skyrock.com
my art site :
http://www.twistart.net
07-24-2011, 07:02 PM
 (Print Post)

The phone # for state board here in MA is (617)727-9940. This should be reported. Places like that are a public health hazard and credo blades are illegal in MA...they will fine you for even having one on the premises.

You should also contact the labor board and the DOR...at the very least this woman should be investigated for her illegal business practices.
07-24-2011, 07:30 PM
 (Print Post)

You will have to contact whichever agency oversees labor laws in your state. Here, we have a labor board, but I don't know what the department in MA is called. http://www.dol.gov/dol/location.htm#MA

Second, you should contact state board. You owe it to the safety of the public and our reputation.

It seems you have a well documented case. Paying cash may not leave a paper trail, but it seems you wrote everything down- which helps. There is no law against paying cash, who knows if they are trying to get out of taxes, but I wouldn't bother myself with that, or even getting an attorney. There really is no crime to call the police, the civil case isn't large enough to deal with, and you are reporting to the IRS on suspicion alone, which will probably just waste everyone's time or even put a red flag on you.

So, focus on the labor department and state board. Those two agencies should explain everything to you and make everything fairly easy. If there is a case, let them take over, that's their job.
07-24-2011, 09:48 PM
 (Print Post)

Definitely contact your state board, but if they are anything like AZ, good luck with that one. You should contact your Attorney General's Office. They usually have a Consumer Affairs Division (I know I worked for ours for 5 years) and if they can't help, they will direct to someone who can.

I get so angry hearing these stories! I can't wait for the day these shops get shut all together! Ugh!!! Hopefully, in my lifetime!

Angela

Angela
Angel
07-25-2011, 08:39 AM
 (Print Post)

I would recommend calling your State Board to report the health and safety violations.

But I would let everything else go. I feel sorry for you, for the 1st day. But you went back on your own for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th day, despite seeing things that were unethical, unsanitary, etc. And without filling out the proper paperwork, like a W-9.

I hope this doesn't come across as too harsh. You have to maintain your standards and do what is right. You're fresh out of school, you know what is right and wrong. It's so easy to develop bad habits if you're too easily influenced.

Good luck in your job search!

http://www.JesseDavidNailDesign.com
Wilmington, DE
07-25-2011, 02:48 PM
 (Print Post)

Okay well....anyone that's worked can rightfully file a Wage Claim with their State's Department of Labor. Whether you "win" due to lack of paperwork, it will more than likely be a 50-50 situation meaning, you might, you might not, but definitely worth the try even to only shake down the Owner there.

And as for the violations, that should be your State's Board of Barbering and Cosmetology....

I'm so sorry all of this happened to you and I pray you don't lose your passion for the Industry.
07-26-2011, 11:23 PM
 (Print Post)

Thank you all for your advice, opinions, and support. I realize that this was just an obstacle in the way and I have many more to go through in life before I reach the finish line. I will never give up on any of my plans. I will handle this situation rightfully as all professional techs should, and report the hazardous and unsafe and illegal activities I witness.

Truly, Jen
07-27-2011, 07:15 AM
 (Print Post)

Quote:I will handle this situation rightfully as all professional techs should, and report the hazardous and unsafe and illegal activities I witness.

I understand your new to this biz, needed to gain some experience and you felt taken advantage of. You saw on the first day how this salon was operating. Your experience was unfortunate.

After witnessing all these non standard practices, you went back day after day until you got paid less than what you felt owed to you. It wasn't until you felt short changed that you decided to speak out.

What comes to my mind is how long would you have worked there for $50 a day (cash) had she paid you what was due.

The thing is no paperwork - no time sheet, no daily reciepts, no signature on a ledger for the cash - could result in the owner saying you never worked there. How would you prove your case to the labor board?

Reporting them to your state board (now) after your payout wasn't what you expected could be mistaken as you being disgruntled. That report could also be interpreted that you practiced the same things as what you say others did because you continued to return for work.

Be careful what you say and sign.

Enhance
07-27-2011, 11:26 AM
 (Print Post)

enhanced :
>
Quote:I will handle this situation rightfully as all professional techs should,
> and report the hazardous and unsafe and illegal activities I witness.
>
> I understand your new to this biz, needed to gain some experience and
> you felt taken advantage of. You saw on the first day how this salon was operating.
> Your experience was unfortunate.
>
> After witnessing all these non standard practices, you went back day after
> day until you got paid less than what you felt owed to you. It wasn't until
> you felt short changed that you decided to speak out.
>
> What comes to my mind is how long would you have worked there for $50 a day
> (cash) had she paid you what was due.
>
> The thing is no paperwork - no time sheet, no daily reciepts, no signature
> on a ledger for the cash - could result in the owner saying you never worked
> there. How would you prove your case to the labor board?
>
> Reporting them to your state board (now) after your payout wasn't what you
> expected could be mistaken as you being disgruntled. That report could also
> be interpreted that you practiced the same things as what you say others did
> because you continued to return for work.
>
> Be careful what you say and sign.
>
> Enhance

She raises a very good point. Do be careful. <3
Post Reply  Post Thread