You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just watched a TT tutorial
I was spending some time watching different back fill techniques and I came across a TT back fill. I was pretty shocked at how much liquid she allows to flood the cuticle and how much is all over the side walls. This is a no no if I am not mistaken. Confusedhock: There are a lot of great videos to view, but then there are some that just make me go hmmm.
Tammy has said that her liquid is hypoallergenic. That was told in classes I have taken.
Always be kind....you get farther.
I've got to ask, how is that possible? To make it hypoallergenic, I mean? I've never heard that about her product, tho I admit I've never used it.
I am not sure, I also don't use TT products. Just wanted to see different techniques. And while it may be hypoallergenic, other monomers don't claim that so when making a tutorial it should say right on the screen that this practice of getting liquid all over the skin is not permitted with other lines. My opinion, as when us viewers see it, we don't know that she says her product is fine to do that with. I still don't think its fine, hypoallergenic or not, to me and this is me, nothing personal, it looks like sloppy workmanship.
You have to think, she is doing the tutorial for her product. There are methods that you use with TT that you wouldn't use with CND and Visa-versa. I don't b elieve in flooding the nail area, because when it seeps undcer the cuticle it can cause lifting and I think it is a waste of product to get "sloppy". I have never had any problems with TT products. And you have to think about how quick she is and how soon she cleans that nail.
I don't believe in overexposing the client, and we all have ways of doing things.
Hi,
Hypoallergenic is a marketing term with no set definition. It does NOT mean that it is ok to intentionally contact the skin with monomer or UV gel. ALL monomer liquids and UV gel should be kept off the skin and not allowed to "flood the cuticle" area. There are NO exceptions! I've seen these videos before and in my opinion, they demonstrate poor techniques and a lack of skill with controlling the product. Also, the client's skin is clearly overexposed!

One of the main criteria for being a skilled professional is to be able to control your product and that includes using the correct applications techniques. There is NO excuse for intentionally contacting the skin with monomer liquid or UV gel and no one should be in that big of a hurry
Doug Schoon
Chief Scientific Adviser
Creative Nail Design, Inc.
I agree Doug. It should be controlled and not done with quick sloppy brush handling. It looks bad, and for a tutorial it shows people that its OK to do that. I am a quick acrylic worker, I could do a full set of sculps start to finish in school in 45 min. And they looked like a pro. ( I was born for this ) Now I do a set of sculps from scratch in 35 min, with tack free sealant. OR a back fill in 45. I have never seen it done nor do it myself where the liquid is just running on its own. I suppose that is why the video shocked me.
I definitely agree with both you Sobeit and Doug and this is one of the reasons why I do not watch TT tutorials anymore because I find her work sloppy.
I remember ages ago I watched the tute where she uses the practice card and I replayed it and replayed just cause I was so shocked at how much the product ran and had this ring of monomer around the edge of the ball, let alone how lumpy the nail looked!
I did not find it to be a good tute a all for showing good mix ratio.

If you look more at the chemical side of how our products are made, then I would think that everybody would know to not touch ANY skin/cuticle on purpose and to avoid these area at all costs.
Yes I know there are times when we all make a boo boo but if these are few and far between then we greatly reduce the risk of overexposure but to do it on every set and every backfill, just baffles me.

I have taken a big interest in the last couple of years especially in really trying to learn the chemical side of our products, to know exactly how they all work together and why and why we are told to do or not to do, certain things with our products and I can now say, I can see why we get advised from the experts (like Doug, thank you Doug) to work a certain SAFE way.
Thank you Doug. I am so happy to see you post here! Clarification is good!
[Image: smileytransport018vj1.gif]
doug - soooo glad that you weighed in on this!

ive watched a few of these videos and they make my blood pressure rise! i cant take looking at all that monomer all over the models finger!!

denise
Doug Schoon :
> Hi,
> Hypoallergenic is a marketing term with no set definition. It does NOT mean
> that it is ok to intentionally contact the skin with monomer or UV gel. ALL
> monomer liquids and UV gel should be kept off the skin and not allowed to "flood
> the cuticle" area. There are NO exceptions! I've seen these videos before
> and in my opinion, they demonstrate poor techniques and a lack of skill with
> controlling the product. Also, the client's skin is clearly overexposed!
>
> One of the main criteria for being a skilled professional is to be able to
> control your product and that includes using the correct applications techniques.
> There is NO excuse for intentionally contacting the skin with monomer liquid
> or UV gel and no one should be in that big of a hurry.
I agree with you guys,but for those of us that need some good demonstrations to help us along where do you suggest we go for the best?thanks
I am a big fan of Nailzoo on YouTube, very clean natural looking work, great videos, and young nails tutorials. Young nails will show clean work but I think their nails are built a bit thicker than I like. Just my visual presence.
CND has a YouTube page now, and has a video tutorial for all of their product systems Smile

YouTube.com/cndvideo

The finishing, smile lines, and P.R.E.P. Vids are my favorites Smile

Thanks so much for posting Doug!
Heather Reynosa-Davis
Team CND Global Education Ambassador
Ooh, that's right CND does have a channel and they show custom blend colors too. Thanks Heather Big Grin
I use TT and love it but I do agree the use of flooding the cuticle is overkill, I don't do this and it doesn't need to be done. I think she needs to revise her videos.
Pam Smith
Nails at Last Salon
[email protected]

Chinese proverb:
Women who scratch butt
should not bite fingernails!
Yep! definitely watch Carl's (Nailzoo) video's, he is one of the BEST in Australia and I love his work.
His style is (I reckon) the best, making a fake nail look real and he is the best I have seen that does this, along with Gigi Rouse, she also does great natural looking sets.

Carl uses Avolve products of which I have some of but I'm yet to give it a good go cause I can't drag myself away from NSI productsSmile but from the live demo I saw of Avolve products, they are beautiful to work with and definitely no flooding of any skin at all.

I agree that TT needs to re look at her video's and redo them.
I love the TT line of acrylics, but yeah, she's messy.

:roll:
I was just thinking Sobeit, is it possible for you to post the link to the video that prompted this thread?

Then we can all have a look at it and remind ourselves how it's not done.
wooshka :
> I was just thinking Sobeit, is it possible for you to post the link to the
> video that prompted this thread?
>
> Then we can all have a look at it and remind ourselves how it's not done.

http://youtu.be/KU5Svip6Nyo
Having used TT and prompting this debate somewhat, I emailed Tammy and this is what I got back. I feel the issue was skirted and not actually dealt wiyh- at least not to my satisfaction.
To: [email protected]
Subject: overexposure

I watched your tutorial on UTube for pink and white backfills. It seemed like you were getting a lot of liquid on the skin.........
Somewhere, either a video or in a class, I have seen or heard that your liquid is hypoallergenic. Is this true? And how, since all liquids have basically the same chemical make-up.
Thanks

1. The Tammy Taylor Nails "Nail Liquid" (EMA) is approved by State Boards of Cosmetology, and Tammy's "Nail Liquid" is used all over the World; and it is easily washed from the skin with soap & water. I do not know of anyone allergic to our Nail Liquid.

2. There are 2-basic acrylic liquids being used, one is Approved and one is NOT:

- EMA - Is Approved for use in Salons (ETHYL METHACRYLATE Liquid Monomer)

- MMA - Is "NOT" approved (METHYL METHACRYLATE Liquid Monomer)
Link to EMA vrs MMA article:
http://tammytaylornails.com/Professional...ma-toc.htm
3. MMA is "not" approved, and can be problematic when it gets on the skin.

4. The other cause for skin irritation is "primer" - When too much primer is applied; and if the primer is applied too close to the "cuticle" skin, or too close along the nail-groove, along the sides of the fingernail or toenail.

Thank you & Have a Great Nail Day,
Ed Taylor, Sr. [email protected]
Wooshka sorry I didn't see you ask that, thank you Erin, that is the video I am talking about. There is just sooo much liquid in the skin.
TN nail lady, thank you for go so far as asking about it. Do you feel like that answer was satisfactory? I only ask because all liquid we are using is EMA and all other companies teach not to get it on the skin. I don't think Ed really answered you, and the comment about them not knowing anyone allergic to their liquid? Intersting, because their line is still acrylic and if we were to use it on someone allergic to acrylic, then are they saying the client would have no reaction? Please I hope you don't think this is a personal attack on anyone, or anyone using the line. It just caught my attention.
I noticed that too. I was not happy with the answer. I might call the Director of Education, Mary Stokus, and ask her. I know she will give me an answer I can live with.
That's ok SobeitSmile
Thanks Erin for the link.

Yes I have seen that video before but just wasn't sure if that was the one you were talking about.

I will agree, that answer is just floating around the subject and not giving an answer really at all.
So I can see why you would not be satisfied with that response, I know I wouldn't be.

Let us know if you get any further luck with getting an answer that actually answers the questionsSmile
I forgot to say.....

Just because EMA is approved by the state board, does not make it hypoallergenic and clients are not being over exposed!!

This is the most wishwash answer that could have been given I feel.
I love her products and use her Nails in Stages because I am slowly teaching myself acrylics. But after watching that Video I was confused: Why does she place the pearl, let it level, pat/brush it in, then pat the folds and the finger itself like that with more monomer? There's no pearl there, the pearl has already been placed, you don't do nails on the skin, you do nails on the nail plate.

I think you got a generalized answer from someone that isn't a nail tech; and his reasoning is faulty. Allergies to monomer happen all the time worldwide. Just because there's no class action suit going on, doesn't mean it "doesn't" exist.

Techs that develop allergies usually wear gloves to continue doing acrylics or steer away from acrylics altogether.

And just because you can wash stuff off your hands with soap and water, doesn't mean there hasn't been some penetration of product, that's simple "Skin 101".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 0
Views: 1,074
09-27-2013, 08:12 AM
Last Postkimberlee kaye clark
Replies: 5
Views: 3,330
04-02-2013, 09:52 AM