You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adventures in Owning
I see a lot of techs here with gripes about the owner, but rarely see anything from salon owners. So, here is my most recent rant about an employee:

I had a woman working for me who was the daughter of a client (never do this!), thank goodness she quit before I was forced to fire her! She quit because she wanted a 10% raise since taxes were removed from her paycheck. She was already getting 50%, which is plenty for a hairstylist, especially since she came with no clientele.

I did everything I could to help her get busy. I purchased postcards that were mailed to clients, did print advertising, held a spa party for clients where I gave all the employees 100% commission and ate the discount myself (I paid $300 in advertising for the party alone), purchased her a banner (which was her responsibility to hang up and take down everyday, but after a few weeks she decided that was too much work), sent her all my clients, advertised on the web, etc, etc.

What did she do to build her clientele in return? She only wanted to work from 11 am to 2 pm. If a client on tomorrows books wanted to be moved to today she would complain and ask if they could come in tomorrow instead. If she had to stay until 3 for a client, she complained and called her bar buddies to tell them she would be late. She started taking off Tuesday so she could party on “Margarita Monday” night. She blocked off way too much time, and only ½ the time did she ask me.

I would pay her to do my hair, but when her friend came in and got tons of color put into her hair, she only gave me $10 for product. So, as the owner I am paying for my hair (which is fine) but then her friend off the street gets it for free? On my dime no less! This would have been addressed, but she quit just a day or so later.

Sometimes, if her check was going to be low, I would notice she would charge clients up the wazoo. She did this so often she had to write down what she charged clients just so she could remember who she was price gouging. She justified prices by saying it was for product (which I bought, and at that time, she got 50% of the product cost) or because they had longer hair.

She would never help around the salon. Maybe once in a while she would take out the trash. One day, her client, who had other services, was done a bit early. I saw that this employee had started to have another girl put color in her hair for her. I told them that her client would be out soon. She just looked at me, thrust her head forward and extended her arms, as if to say “what the @#$%^? I am doing my own hair now, can’t you see?” Well, that was unacceptable. I told her, “Clients come first. If you can’t stop in the middle of a trade then wait until the day is over or come in on your day off”. Apparently, I am the biggest witch in the west for that, because after I left, her and the girl (I was later told) started saying nasty things and that if I wasn’t going to let them do their hair they weren’t going to do anything around the salon.

And as for the girl who was doing her hair, she came in at 11:15 for an 11:00 appointment one day (I tried calling, her phone was off. I was about to call another girl in when she came in). I told her, "I didn't know if you were coming or not, your phone is off. If your morning is ever not going like you think it's going to go, call me". After I left, she called me the B word behind my back. Had I heard for myself she would have been sent home right there. I'm no slave driver. All she had to do was call in the morning to find out her schedule. Sometimes she didn't even come in until 2pm or later. Once, she said she would come in on a day off and never showed up. Thankfully, my renter was there and took care of the client!

Then, we had a problem with cigarette butts all over in front of the shop. It was nasty and my renter was complaining. I confronted all the smokers in the back, very nicely, and asked if they were throwing butts on the floor. They all denied it. My renter, God bless her, went and cleaned the entire outside of the shop. Later, the girls were outside smoking. One mentioned how clean it was and told the girls not to litter, then, the evil employee rolled her eyes and threw the butt on the floor! When I heard that I was not happy, and banned everyone to smoke 25 ft away from the shop. Ever since then, no butts. Imagine.

The evil employee did not have a bank account so I was paying her cash. Not illegal, but I needed to have proof I was paying her. I told her I couldn't do it any longer and she threw a fit. Then, she came back and told me that my bank had charged her $5 to cash her check. I told her to go to Wal-Mart. She then said Wal-Mart charged her and wanted to know what I was going to do about this. I told her, "I don't know, maybe you should get a checking account?"

Another issue was credit card tips. My credit card company does not give me the full amount of the tip, they remove fees, so I give the girls what I am paid by the credit card company. I can’t pay out on what I haven’t gotten and the girls have the right to refuse credit card tips if they don’t like it. In addition, to be in accordance with the law, tips must be taxed, and although I don’t like having to pay taxes on their tips either, we must do it. Check tips and credit card tips are written into their check. Apparently, this really miffed the employee. It turned into a heated discussion even. This came around again the day she quit.

Mind you... these women who refuse to build a clientele are also the same ones who complain about their paycheck!

So… on that day she demands a 10% increase in pay, she suggests being an independent contractor. I told her we could do that, but that I could no longer advertise for her, do her towels or provide her product. She said she had never heard of that before (she has been doing hair for 20 years) and everyone else supplies product. I told I simply cannot provide free product and free towel service. She said, “What towel service, YOU are doing the towels?”. I told her, “Yes, I am doing the towels. I do them and it is a service.” Then she said, “And I am doing a service too!”. Ummmm, what the heck?

There are way more stories than this, but I am going a quite long already. So, just when you start to think that only employers step on people and try to take advantage, us owners are also treated like we exist only for someone else, and are not a person in our own right, and that we should somehow bow down to the employee who floats in on a ray of light as angels play harps in background.

It happens to all of us Smile
Quote:She started taking off Tuesday so she could party on “Margarita Monday” night.

I don't know what to say to everything else, but I know a lady who used to LOVE "taco Tuesdays" :roll:
Did she use google to find the latest Taco Tuesday? I'd be afraid to mention that if I were you.
No, she doesn't have internet. She still says all 3 w's before naming websites. And I'd assume it's on Tuesday. No google required.
I have heartburn just reading this post :lol: I think I'll just continue going solo for now!
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
You're post is the very reason I am completely happy being a one woman show! Confusedhock: Been there, done that!
Yea that post gave me a headache. Definitely glad I'm a one person shop. I do have room for another person, but so far anyone who has shown interest doesn't really want to work or wants me to do the marketing for them. Well, they can do their own just like I have been for all these years. :wink:
Obviously I am not an owner of a salon so I dont deal with employees BUT if I were the owner of the current place I rent in, I wouls pull my hair out. He has staff and while everyone gets along and we are all professional dedicated workers, there is a way some have of taking advantage of him. Some employees come can go as they please, arrive late, take vacation or book out without asking. Take retail for back bar without saying so, push him into purchases that suit them individually but not the salon. I just have no idea how he doesn't go crazy with the "work when we want" attitude. Then it burdens the staff who are having to pick up the slack, answer phones while doing hair, with no help because so and so left 5 hours early. Some also expect everyone else to clean up after them, food, plates, color bowls, brushes, towels, trash, wiping the tables, cleaning the mirror. It's like, do we work with children? So even though we get along, sometimes they walk all over him, because he doesn't want anyone to leave. One time he mentioned something about punctuality and the worker screamed something and slammed the door, during working hours of all things. People are here. I think owners get very little praise. Now he is not my boss but I always give him a hand made gift for the holidays with a card and a thank you letter. I know not one of them thank him for keeping the doors open through this economic crisis. Really. Of course there are things I would love for him to do, but that has to do with esthetics and not work interaction.
So for all employees who have not said it, and renters too, thank you hard working salon owners who do the best you can to keep us all working.
PS as soon as you feel like a baby sitter to an employee, time to tell them where the door is. Bad seeds spread and moral gets low for everyone.
"She's been doing hair for 20 years" Confusedhock: I was thinking this has to be some young 20 something. Apparently some people never get it. BTW is she still living at home?
Sobeit- you are so right. Bad seeds do spread. Luckily the 2 bad seeds planted themselves somewhere else. It is amazing that on their own they weren't tooooooo bad, but together we were all going somewhere in a hand-basket.

And thank you for the thank you! I forgot to thank all the employees and renters who do care about themselves, their job, and their clients. Without them I would be all by myself- and I am pretty lucky to have 2 great girls who I love. One is especially my favorite, but she gets on here and I don't want her to get a big head.

Jimsjadab- yes! She does live with her mom! How did you know?
I'm taking a wild guess here but I reckon it's obvious that she still lives at home because of her behaviour.

It's behaviour of a spoiled little brat who thinks the world owes her and maybe cause mummy is still giving her everything she wants, even though she is an adult.
wooshka :
> I'm taking a wild guess here but I reckon it's obvious that she still lives
> at home because of her behaviour.
>
> It's behaviour of a spoiled little brat who thinks the world owes her and maybe
> cause mummy is still giving her everything she wants, even though she is an
> adult.

All of that and the fact Mommy got her the job. She probably wasn't even interested in trying to find one. Anyone with real bills would want to work more than 3 hours a day.
sobeit :
> Obviously I am not an owner of a salon so I dont deal with employees BUT if
> I were the owner of the current place I rent in, I wouls pull my hair out.
> He has staff and while everyone gets along and we are all professional dedicated
> workers, there is a way some have of taking advantage of him. Some employees
> come can go as they please, arrive late, take vacation or book out without
> asking. Take retail for back bar without saying so, push him into purchases
> that suit them individually but not the salon. I just have no idea how he doesn't
> go crazy with the "work when we want" attitude. Then it burdens the staff who
> are having to pick up the slack, answer phones while doing hair, with no help
> because so and so left 5 hours early. Some also expect everyone else to clean
> up after them, food, plates, color bowls, brushes, towels, trash, wiping the
> tables, cleaning the mirror. It's like, do we work with children? So even though
> we get along, sometimes they walk all over him, because he doesn't want anyone
> to leave. One time he mentioned something about punctuality and the worker
> screamed something and slammed the door, during working hours of all things.
> People are here. I think owners get very little praise. Now he is not my boss
> but I always give him a hand made gift for the holidays with a card and a thank
> you letter. I know not one of them thank him for keeping the doors open through
> this economic crisis. Really. Of course there are things I would love for him
> to do, but that has to do with esthetics and not work interaction.
> So for all employees who have not said it, and renters too, thank you hard
> working salon owners who do the best you can to keep us all working.
> PS as soon as you feel like a baby sitter to an employee, time to tell them
> where the door is. Bad seeds spread and moral gets low for everyone.
This shop needs a visit from Tabitha,Ilike her show ,she gets those shops where they need to be.
Quote:and I am pretty lucky to have 2 great girls who I love. One is especially my favorite, but she gets on here and I don't want her to get a big head.

Lol at least you know she comes on here. There are lots of people, I'm sure, that read things about themselves all the time. At least your words are positive.
garyjon, I would be afraid Tabatha would want me gone as the only nail tech renting space and being part time. I don't know why I would worry about that but I think she would make me feel bad that physically I can't work full time. I'm strange LOL.
sobeit :
> garyjon, I would be afraid Tabatha would want me gone as the only nail tech
> renting space and being part time. I don't know why I would worry about that
> but I think she would make me feel bad that physically I can't work full time.
> I'm strange LOL.

As long as she couldn't rub her hand across your station and find nail clippings or see a cloudy Barbicide jar "This is bloody @!#%$&* filthy Peggy! Drink it, drink it if you think it's acceptable!" I looove her!
Crazy in l Heart ve with Cuccio!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 3
Views: 1,391
01-01-2014, 07:29 PM
Last Postpropeditech