You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
BeautyTech.com

BeautyTech Main PageBeautyTech Main Page        BeautyTech ForumsBeautyTech Forums        Beautytech ShoppeBeautyTech Shoppe        CalendarVisit Nailtech.com        Like us on Facebook        Follow us on Twitter        Find us on Pinterest        View our videos on YouTube       
click THIS... win STUFF...click THIS... win STUFF...        SponsorsSponsors        NT Mailing List SponsorsNT Mailing List Sponsors        SearchFREE Salon Locator Listing        LINDLI Network Day        Orlando SocialOrlando Network Social
FAQFAQ        ContactContact        SearchShoppe Search        SearchForum Search        Make Homepage

BeautyTech Dedicated to Educate and Decorate BeautyTech Home

BeautyTech Sponsors SPONSORS
BeautyTech Sponsors NT Mailing List Sponsors

CONTESTS
BeautyTech click THIS... win STUFF... click THIS/win STUFF
BeautyTech Strut Your STUFF Competition Strut Your Stuff

SHOPPING
BeautyTech Shoppe BeautyTech Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Swap & Shop
BeautyTech Shoppe Salon Posters
BeautyTech Shoppe Milady Publications
BeautyTech Shoppe NailTech Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Empower NailArt
BeautyTech Shoppe EZ Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Odyssey Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Valentino Air Filter
BeautyTech Shoppe Star Nail International
BeautyTech Shoppe Cuccio Naturale
BeautyTech Shoppe Cinapro Nail Art
BeautyTech Shoppe HairCentral

NETWORK
NailTech Connect @ BeautyTech Forums NailTech Connect
BeautyTech Forums Message Boards
NailTech Mailing list @ Google Groups Mailing List
BeautyTech Network Events Network Events

TOOLS
BeautyTech Search Shoppe Shoppe Search
BeautyTech Search Forum Forum Search
Search Business Builders
BeautyTech Professional Licensing Links Licensing Info
BeautyTech Calendar Calendar
BeautyTech.INFO FREE Salon Listing FREE Salon Listing
BeautyTech Photo Gallery Photo Gallery

EVERYTHING ELSE
Advertise @ BeautyTech Advertise
BeautyTech Contact Contact Us
BeautyTech Privacy Policy Privacy Policy

STAY INFORMED

ADVERTISEMENT

FEATURED AD

NailTech.com - Star Nail International, Odyddey Nail, HairCentral, Empower Nail Art

Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My dilema didn't think it would be this hard.
10-20-2011, 05:45 PM
 (Print Post)
My dilema didn't think it would be this hard.
Not sure if any of you read my intro but I have been really wanting to become a nt and have been getting a lot of negative comments about it because I am a nurse and people don't understand why someone who makes such great money :roll: would want to do nails. Well even though it ticks me off not to have much support I don't care what they did I want a job where I can give people what they want and make them happy, and at my current job the only thing I'm doing is stressing myself out in a place I don't like to be at. I have searched for schools and there is only one near me and thats like 45 miles away and it conflicts with the days I work. I talked with the owner today and he wants me to start but i would have to miss one or two days a wk of school to work and he worries i would get behind and he thinks i may not gain what i need and i am paying out of pocket. The class is 21wks and he said it can be done in 19. I just dont know what to do i really want this but it seems day after day there is something getting in my way. Any advice is welcomed.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-20-2011, 06:31 PM
 (Print Post)

You already said that you are stressed and unhappy with your current job. So much are you willing to give up for your new career? Is there any way you can talk to your current employer about cutting or rearranging your hours? That would be the first place I would start. You really don't want to give up class time and hours, because there are minimum requirements of attendance to pass your boards.

Claudia
C-C My Nails
Newcastle, WY
10-20-2011, 06:59 PM
 (Print Post)

Just a thought... have you looked long and hard at the reality of what you will be earning as a nail tech, and the fact that it may take 12-24 months before you have full books? It's not uncommon to not really get paid at all at first! If you have worked that through, and you really think this is the right move for you, then don't let other people discourage you. I hope you can get a good situation worked our for school and work!

Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-20-2011, 06:59 PM
 (Print Post)

I was in the same boat as you four years ago. I had been a medical transcriptionist for almost 20 years and got to the point where I just hated my job. I hated getting up in the morning and having to go to work! I made very good money but the stress was becoming too much. I was lucky that I was an independent contractor and worked at home, so I was able to cut back on my hours and attend school during the day and work at home doing transcription at night. Let me tell you that it is so wonderful now to be able to say I love my job. I love getting up in the morning now and look forward to going to the salon every day!!! I haven't regretted the choice I made to change careers even though it meant taking a cut in pay. The ultimate payoff of peace of mind is priceless.

Certified Master Pedicurist
Licensed Nail Tech
10-20-2011, 07:18 PM
 (Print Post)

Wow thanks ladies and Vickie Joe thanks so much for your story to be honest I understand that I may not make that much at first and I will still have nursing to fall back on prn. Its just been a dream of mine for a long time to be my own boss and I think one day as a nail tech I could. I don't even mind working in a salon for as long as it takes to learn what I can but for right now I would like to do this and see how it goes. Classes are tues-sat and right now I already have every tues and thurs off including every other weekend off so I need to figure out a way to make it work. Thanks so much ladies keep the advice coming I love it.
10-20-2011, 08:12 PM
 (Print Post)

Good Luck to you NbN. I have just signed up for classes, I begin on Monday (Yippeee). I am in the same place and realize that sacrificing some things for a short term will lead you to long term happiness. Some at my current job (that I'm not happy at) tell me "do you really want to go into such a poor paying job"...But I think that if you love to do something, you find a way to make it work for you. I don't see myself going to become a nail technician, I explain that I am going to be a SALON OWNER because I'm looking at the bigger picture that will be.
So if you understand nursing and if you actually like it but hate your place of business, just look at what you can use from your current job/skills to add to being a NT
"Going to a job you hate everyday, no matter how much money you make, means you are poor"

NY Licensed Nail + Waxing Tech
Owner/Developer Suite Tee
http://www.Facebook.com/TashawnaH
Instagram: @SuiteTee
10-20-2011, 08:18 PM
 (Print Post)

One thing you might consider, once you get your license is to meet with a few podiatrist who're willing to refer clients to you for toe nail repair and make overs. With your background, it would be a good niche for you along with doing nails. I do about 10-15 toe nail makeovers a year, mostly due to the way their toenails look after recovering from a fungal infection or ingrown removal. It's also a way to set yourself apart from the other salons, offering something most of them won't do.

Good luck!
10-20-2011, 08:25 PM
 (Print Post)

Donna in Huntsville, TX. :
> One thing you might consider, once you get your license is to meet with a few
> podiatrist who're willing to refer clients to you for toe nail repair and make
> overs. With your background, it would be a good niche for you along with doing
> nails. I do about 10-15 toe nail makeovers a year, mostly due to the way their
> toenails look after recovering from a fungal infection or ingrown removal.
> It's also a way to set yourself apart from the other salons, offering something
> most of them won't do.
>
> Good luck!

You ladies are awesome! Donna I have seen some of your post that you are near east texas, I live in louisiana east texas is not that far from me I would love to learn all I can and help others out as well I feel like I can do this. Taswanna good luck to you keep us posted on how things are going for you and I will do the same.
10-20-2011, 08:36 PM
 (Print Post)

We're pretty much neighbors! Maybe by this time next year you'll have your license and you can try to come to our next networking. It's designed to help techs like yourself, with basic instruction on things like acrylic, gel, gel polish, business planning, how to be more efficient while working, how to use an efile properly, etc. We'd love to have you.....
10-20-2011, 10:51 PM
 (Print Post)

I am a nurse turned nailtech, and have NEVER looked back! I am an RN...worked ER for 17 years till I got so burned out I literally got nauseated and cold sweats walking into the hospital! When I finally faced it and quit it was a huge sacrifice for our family as I brought in easily half of our income. We had small kids then, and I stayed home with them for a while...till I started fighting depression. With full support from my hubby, I began to pursue my dream of doing nails. It has not been an easy road. I have been doing nails for 14 years now, and have only recently turned the corner on my acrylic technique. Fortunately, I relied heavily on my natural nail services, which got me through. I agree with the suggestion to pursue medical pedis...if I were a bit younger I would do this. But at this point, my hands are beginning to show and feel wear and tear. Foot massage isn't easy on older hands, so I'm not pursuing it. I love the one on one contact that I never seemed to have as a nurse. Sure, you interact with people, but not usually longterm, and even then, it is usually illness/crisis driven. The relaxed atmosphere of nails vs. nursing is wonderfully refreshing. I love what I do, and would do it over again! Good luck with your endeavors and don't give up if it is truly your heart's desire. Where there is a will, there is a way!

Debbie in VA
10-21-2011, 09:48 AM
 (Print Post)

Its a scary decision to make! Listen to your heart. I walked out on my job with no notice after being completely fed up, and finally pursued the dream! Im broke (for now) But absolutely am LOVING my job and this industry!!!!!
10-22-2011, 08:17 PM
 (Print Post)

ebbieday :
> I am a nurse turned nailtech, and have NEVER looked back! I am an RN...worked
> ER for 17 years till I got so burned out I literally got nauseated and cold
> sweats walking into the hospital! When I finally faced it and quit it was
> a huge sacrifice for our family as I brought in easily half of our income.
> We had small kids then, and I stayed home with them for a while...till I started
> fighting depression. With full support from my hubby, I began to pursue my
> dream of doing nails. It has not been an easy road. I have been doing nails
> for 14 years now, and have only recently turned the corner on my acrylic technique.
> Fortunately, I relied heavily on my natural nail services, which got me through.
> I agree with the suggestion to pursue medical pedis...if I were a bit younger
> I would do this. But at this point, my hands are beginning to show and feel
> wear and tear. Foot massage isn't easy on older hands, so I'm not pursuing
> it. I love the one on one contact that I never seemed to have as a nurse.
> Sure, you interact with people, but not usually longterm, and even then, it
> is usually illness/crisis driven. The relaxed atmosphere of nails vs. nursing
> is wonderfully refreshing. I love what I do, and would do it over again!
> Good luck with your endeavors and don't give up if it is truly your heart's
> desire. Where there is a will, there is a way!

Wow your situation seems a lot like mine we have 3 kids 9, 6, and the baby will be 1 on friday and my income is the majority of ours as their dad works parttime and is home more with the kids. Right now the school option is the biggest prob only one in the near area. I kinda of decided to buy a nail trainer and learn what I can on that and save of money aside and take classes in the summer. I just hope it works out thanks ladies y'all are great.
10-22-2011, 11:44 PM
 (Print Post)

I definitely say "listen to your instinct" and do what you love. As stated earlier it will take you some time to build, but I would say it would take longer than 2 years. Working with a podiatrist would definitely get you some pedicure clients.

Let us know how it goes. Wishing you the best.
10-23-2011, 07:47 PM
 (Print Post)

I don't know about the state you live in, but here in mine, (Colorado) we have Medi-Spas...with your RN License, that would be something you could also look into...have you ever considered skin? With that combined with your RN and Nails it would be great...Spas are becoming very popular and with your background the skies the limit....hope you enjoy Nail School...I became licensed just 6 yrs. ago, and now am an educator at a beauty school...have never been happier...I wanted to do nails since I was 16, but my family thought I should do something else...so I was a Phlebotomist for many yrs....then quit, bought a tanning and Nails salon, and THEN finally got my nail license...I have been the happiest while working in the salon and now teaching...it makes all the difference to be able to go to work doing something you love...Good Luck to you, with your passion I am sure you can do very well, even if it takes some time...I would not totally quit nursing til you can get your license and then figure out what you want to do with it, like mentioned before it can take an average of two yrs., to fill your book, but like I said you should look into working in a Medi-Spa if they have those where you live...an RN friend of mine owns one and she does quite well.... Smile

Licensed Nail Tech/Educator
10-23-2011, 08:15 PM
 (Print Post)
Re: My dilema didn't think it would be this hard.
NailsbyNurse :
> Not sure if any of you read my intro but I have been really wanting to
> become a nt and have been getting a lot of negative comments about it because
> I am a nurse and people don't understand why someone who makes such great money
> :roll: would want to do nails. Well even though it ticks me off not to have
> much support I don't care what they did I want a job where I can give people
> what they want and make them happy, and at my current job the only thing I'm
> doing is stressing myself out in a place I don't like to be at. I have searched
> for schools and there is only one near me and thats like 45 miles away and
> it conflicts with the days I work. I talked with the owner today and he wants
> me to start but i would have to miss one or two days a wk of school to work
> and he worries i would get behind and he thinks i may not gain what i need
> and i am paying out of pocket. The class is 21wks and he said it can be done
> in 19. I just dont know what to do i really want this but it seems day after
> day there is something getting in my way. Any advice is welcomed.

I noticed this posting and wanted to give you my feedback. I am also a registered nurse for many years. I know that I have done different types of nursing positions. Not all nursing positions fits all. There may be something else in the nursing field that might be a better fit for you. Once you are somewhere that is not going to be as stressful for you, then you should look into taking classes that are in the field as a nail tech. Make sure you have the financial security with your job as a nurse before jumping into a completely new career. You worked very hard on your nursing degree. Once you have the flexibility in your nursing job without compromising, take the nail tech program and complete it. Try working part time as a nail tech to see how you like doing it first before switching careers completely. I am a licensed Baccalaureate degree RN. I am also licensed nail tech. I love what I do as a nurse. But it took me some time to get there. I have had some positions as a nurse that I hated. I learned from them and moved on. I love doing nails as well. Unfortunately, I cannot support myself and my family on a nail tech salary in my area. I continue to do nails part time. I continue to educate myself in nails by taking classes. The economy continues to be bad. As a nurse there are many avenues for you to take. Did you ever consider home health nursing where you hours are more flexible? Also, insurance verification, phone triage nurse, etc? I hope this helps you. Don't give up on one career to pursue another. Compliment both until you try actually working as a nail tech to make an educational decision.

Be as creative as you can be and you will never be ordinary!
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Purchase Dilema?? nailsbytheresa 5 908 11-18-2012 12:37 AM
Last Post: Tashawna