You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to find a tutorial on Fan/Duck nails?
09-04-2011, 10:56 PM,
 (Print Post)
Where to find a tutorial on Fan/Duck nails?
Had a client who asked me if I could do these. I had never tried them and would like to know if there is a good tutorial video out there. She offered her nails as practice. Thanks

NativeBeauty
09-05-2011, 12:18 AM,
 (Print Post)

Hey Doreen,
I found this on you tube, but it is kinda hard to see.
http://youtu.be/4Xc7ZOwikOE
Hopefully you can get the gist of it.
09-05-2011, 01:04 AM,
 (Print Post)

Sculpting them would be done just by shaping your acrylic on the form the width and length you want them. Or I have seen some use tips upside down creating the smile line with your file at the free edge instead, then what is normally the well is now the free edge. There are videos on YouTube but you would have to look through them so you can pick then ones that have the shape or technique you prefer to try out.
09-05-2011, 04:20 AM,
 (Print Post)

Try searching for flare nails of california flare. I think you just sculpt on a form without pinching it.
09-05-2011, 04:06 PM,
 (Print Post)

Whoa. AM I the only one shocked someone actually wanted these? Maybe she has some gardening to do and prefers to shovel with her fingers Tongue
09-05-2011, 06:10 PM,
 (Print Post)

Doreen I was browsing youtube and I found this video. I believe the tech is using a regular tip and the making it wide in the correct spots. Its not really about creating a nail on a form and the just not pinching it. It would not be a flair nail then but just a sculpt or a flat version. That wont work very well. Its about making the nail the correct shape, like an upside down triangle with a smile line. The tip method in the link may be easier than trying to sculpt your first time. And this shape is very popular on the east and west coast so I say go for it, The client is always right after all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq1DSr6LTis
09-06-2011, 03:00 AM,
 (Print Post)

Sure, the client is always right... until they start telling you how to do your job. The worst ones are the ones who went to beauty school, yet never worked in a salon. I once had a girl tell me during a facial that her eye pads were getting cool (um, duh) and that I didn't buff her nails well enough since I only used a block buffer (um, if I am polishing you don't get a high gloss shine) Or the ones who think that because they have had their nails done for 15 years that they know more than you. I can guarantee if you have had your nails done for 50 years I have done more nails than you have ever had. Once I had a lady with crud under her nails tell me just to glue down where she was lifting. I explained that for her safety I could not glue in the dirt, but that we could get rid of the lifting by removing the old acrylic and cleaning the nail. She then complained to my boss. Whatever. Thankfully these are the few, but they still come along.
09-06-2011, 09:13 PM,
 (Print Post)

sobeit :
> Doreen I was browsing youtube and I found this video. I believe the tech is
> using a regular tip and the making it wide in the correct spots. Its not really
> about creating a nail on a form and the just not pinching it.

I I did not mean pinching as when you pinch the nail to create the c curve. I mean not pinching the form together when you apply it.
09-06-2011, 09:39 PM,
 (Print Post)

jimsjadab :
> sobeit :
>> Doreen I was browsing youtube and I found this video. I believe the tech is
>> using a regular tip and the making it wide in the correct spots. Its not really
>> about creating a nail on a form and the just not pinching it.
>
> I I did not mean pinching as when you pinch the nail to create the c curve.
> I mean not pinching the form together when you apply it.
Yes I understood, and I get your theory on that, but it still won't work, the widened section has to be exaggerated. So the form can be pinched shut. The nail will still be able to be to built correctly with it closed.
09-07-2011, 08:45 PM,
 (Print Post)

I had a question about these. Every pic I've see online the smile line is far down on the nail. Is that part of the look? I wonder how it would look with a 1/3 free edge 2/3 pink ratio.
09-09-2011, 09:52 AM,
 (Print Post)

Thank you, thank you, thank you! The videos did help tremedousley. I will try a few on my nails before she comes. Thanks for posting.

NativeBeauty
09-09-2011, 05:15 PM,
 (Print Post)

jimsjadab :
> I had a question about these. Every pic I've see online the smile line is far
> down on the nail. Is that part of the look? I wonder how it would look with
> a 1/3 free edge 2/3 pink ratio.

I have noticed this too and this is another reason why I personally think these nails look yuck.
I strive so hard to do the 1/3 to 2/3 thing so the nails look well balanced but these duck style nails look so out of balance cause of where the smile line is.

Each to their own though, this is what we have to rememberSmile
Everybody likes different things and there is no right or wrong about it.
09-09-2011, 10:18 PM,
 (Print Post)

you should ask Angela Jones (on here) she does them a lot and they are always awesome!
09-10-2011, 01:08 PM,
 (Print Post)

I just got notice that my order is on the way, a very small amount, but I will have those duck shape tips in the BeautyTech Shoppe hopefully by next Friday..

Regards,
Debbie webmaster - admin
BeautyTech.com Feed Your Nail Addiction
NailTech.com shop smart, brand name professional products for professional results

09-12-2011, 02:40 PM,
 (Print Post)

I love them! I like to take a deep cut smile line tip turn it around clip off the what would be length and then glue that on. A little razzle dazzle and YEAH GO JIMMY! they look Crazy Cool! LOL I know not for everyone, but to me they are HAWT!

[Image: smileytransport018vj1.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HELP! what is the best way to find quality nail techs? [email protected] 2 613 06-03-2016, 10:16 PM
Last Post: [email protected]
  Has anyone used cuccio? Or mosaic? How do you find they compare to gelish etc? Charla6662000 1 872 04-02-2016, 06:58 AM
Last Post: loribe
  Desperate to find a low pedicure stool!!!!! sillysoup 1 815 03-04-2016, 02:39 PM
Last Post: you'vegotnail!
  Trying to find info on SNS dip system burbanosky 3 1,366 10-15-2015, 07:57 PM
Last Post: jimsjadab
  How to find the right booth rental? brapp 1 1,683 12-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Last Post: lovethosetoes
  Where did you find Nail Techs britewing 1 1,286 10-01-2013, 06:10 PM
Last Post: jupiter583
  rose gel tutorial kimberlee kaye clark 0 765 09-27-2013, 07:12 AM
Last Post: kimberlee kaye clark
  How do I find a Nail Tech position for Saturday only? Nails4ever 7 2,806 07-19-2013, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Nails4ever
  Duck Nails?? Chatta68 8 2,225 07-19-2013, 02:28 PM
Last Post: NailTech.com
  New Video tutorial Gel Design Fill Gina Silvestro 5 2,281 04-02-2013, 08:52 AM
Last Post: lovethosetoes