You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
BeautyTech.com

BeautyTech Main PageBeautyTech Main Page        BeautyTech ForumsBeautyTech Forums        Beautytech ShoppeBeautyTech Shoppe        CalendarVisit Nailtech.com        Like us on Facebook        Follow us on Twitter        Find us on Pinterest        View our videos on YouTube       
click THIS... win STUFF...click THIS... win STUFF...        SponsorsSponsors        NT Mailing List SponsorsNT Mailing List Sponsors        SearchFREE Salon Locator Listing        LINDLI Network Day       
FAQFAQ        ContactContact        SearchShoppe Search        SearchForum Search        Make Homepage

BeautyTech Dedicated to Educate and Decorate BeautyTech Home

BeautyTech Sponsors SPONSORS
BeautyTech Sponsors NT Mailing List Sponsors

CONTESTS
BeautyTech click THIS... win STUFF... click THIS/win STUFF
BeautyTech Strut Your STUFF Competition Strut Your Stuff

SHOPPING
BeautyTech Shoppe BeautyTech Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Swap & Shop
BeautyTech Shoppe Salon Posters
BeautyTech Shoppe Milady Publications
BeautyTech Shoppe NailTech Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Empower NailArt
BeautyTech Shoppe EZ Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Odyssey Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Valentino Air Filter
BeautyTech Shoppe Star Nail International
BeautyTech Shoppe Cuccio Naturale
BeautyTech Shoppe Cinapro Nail Art
BeautyTech Shoppe HairCentral

NETWORK
NailTech Connect @ BeautyTech Forums NailTech Connect
BeautyTech Forums Message Boards
NailTech Mailing list @ Google Groups Mailing List
BeautyTech Network Events Network Events

TOOLS
BeautyTech Search Shoppe Shoppe Search
BeautyTech Search Forum Forum Search
Search Business Builders
BeautyTech Professional Licensing Links Licensing Info
BeautyTech Calendar Calendar
BeautyTech.INFO FREE Salon Listing FREE Salon Listing
BeautyTech Photo Gallery Photo Gallery

EVERYTHING ELSE
Advertise @ BeautyTech Advertise
BeautyTech Contact Contact Us
BeautyTech Privacy Policy Privacy Policy

STAY INFORMED

ADVERTISEMENT

FEATURED AD

NailTech.com - Star Nail International, Odyddey Nail, HairCentral, Empower Nail Art

Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
can i use any 36 watt uv lamp with shellac??
09-29-2011, 02:14 PM
 (Print Post)
can i use any 36 watt uv lamp with shellac??
I just got a basic 36 watt lamp from ebay, originally bought it to dry nails and for other basic uv top coats, but I want to try shellac. I'm licensed but haven't gotten into the industry much, I only do my own and a couple friends nails so I don't want to get a bunch of expensive stuff since I'm not making money. Also, can you use shellac on arylics??[/list]

http://www.facebook.com/nailsbymichelleshoe Heart
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-29-2011, 05:22 PM
 (Print Post)

I've used my cheapo machine with no problems.

~~Kristy~~
09-29-2011, 08:11 PM
 (Print Post)

Your 36w lamp will cure Shellac fine - however if you should experience any issues that require you to contact CND, if you are not using their lamp, they will not help you.

If you are curing any gel product with a wattage less than the recommended, the product may appear to be cured, but it most likely is not cured to the proper specifications. Improper cure can come back to bite you and your client down the road with over exposure and allergic reaction issues.

Lorraine, webgirl
http://www.ManicuresThatLast.com
eco Soak Off UV Gel Polish No Solvents, Double the Size - Same Price!
Cinapro Nail Creations - New Art Kits!
http://www.ScentualSpaProducts.com
Cuccio Natural - Enhance the Spa Experience
Free Shipping on all orders over $75
09-29-2011, 09:20 PM
 (Print Post)

ManicuresThatLast :
> Your 36w lamp will cure Shellac fine - however if you should experience any
> issues that require you to contact CND, if you are not using their lamp, they
> will not help you.
>
> If you are curing any gel product with a wattage less than the recommended,
> the product may appear to be cured, but it most likely is not cured to the
> proper specifications. Improper cure can come back to bite you and your client
> down the road with over exposure and allergic reaction issues.

You are so right. This is why I won't use CND, because they say they cannot guarantee results of their products without the use of their lamp. I need to have a lamp that cures most products. I have a couple of lamps and they cure the gels I have used.

Be as creative as you can be and you will never be ordinary!
Find all posts by this user
09-29-2011, 10:49 PM
 (Print Post)

If you don't use any manufacturer's full line as they direct, none of them will guarantee results. It's part of their marketing strategy and due to the research they have done to ensure their products work together. So it isn't just CND that does that.

Yes, you can use any 36w lamp. CND does recommend their lamp, but it is recommended to use a 36w lamp. Making sure you do the recommended time they stipulate for curing is important also. I would, however, be concerned about getting a lamp on e-bay and the brand of bulbs is very important also. You have no way of knowing if it is what they say it is. Would be better to buy from a reputable supplier. Check out:

http://www.nailiteinc.com

Very reasonably priced uv lamps with phillips bulbs (are the best bulbs). You can buy from them as long as you are a current licensed nail tech.
09-29-2011, 11:06 PM
 (Print Post)

What makes Phillips bulbs better than the rest? I've never used them, but they seem to get LOTS of buzz.

Crazy in l Heart ve with Cuccio!
09-30-2011, 08:03 AM
 (Print Post)

I know techs that use the Star Nail 36watt lamp and have no issues. I wonder what Doug thinks?

Elena Desmonie
http://www.ManciuresThatLast.com
http://www.ScentualSpaProducts.com
09-30-2011, 02:07 PM
 (Print Post)

Funny-I spoke to CND today on this. They insist that you use their lamp, which is an 18 watt lamp. They explained that it is not based on the wattage but on the actual product. They will not stand behind the product if you are curing with any other lamp. Sadly, their lamp is twice the price of other lamps in the industry.

It is too bad that they can not have more of a universal lamp for gels and gel polishes. I am hoping that LED will be the wave of the future and solve all of the UV issues.

Malea

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Maleas-Mob...ef=tn_tnmn

http://nailsbymalea.com/
09-30-2011, 02:51 PM
 (Print Post)

Cheryl,

Hi Big Grin Can you please email me, thanks!

aj
09-30-2011, 07:59 PM
 (Print Post)

Malea :
> Funny-I spoke to CND today on this. They insist that you use their lamp, which
> is an 18 watt lamp. They explained that it is not based on the wattage but
> on the actual product. They will not stand behind the product if you are curing
> with any other lamp. Sadly, their lamp is twice the price of other lamps in
> the industry.
>
> It is too bad that they can not have more of a universal lamp for gels and
> gel polishes. I am hoping that LED will be the wave of the future and solve
> all of the UV issues.

Don't count on it. It wouldn't be beneficial to manufacturing companies if they encouraged you to open your options to purchasing from other source. Who would pay that much for a uv lamp from "X" manufacturer if the rep actually said "It's totally fine to use a $45 dollar lamp from Nailite instead of our $200 lamp ." Not too good for sales.

Crazy in l Heart ve with Cuccio!
10-03-2011, 07:19 PM
 (Print Post)

mysweetjordan

> Don't count on it. It wouldn't be beneficial to manufacturing companies if
> they encouraged you to open your options to purchasing from other source. Who
> would pay that much for a uv lamp from "X" manufacturer if the rep actually
> said "It's totally fine to use a $45 dollar lamp from Nailite instead of our
> $200 lamp ." Not too good for sales.

I have to say, I respectfully disagree with you on this.

I think manufacturers would make more money if they could guarantee that any UV lamp would work with their product. But , how can they guarantee that?

CND researched their product in a controlled environment. So, in order to guarantee the best results you have to use it in the same way it was tested to be used. How can you expect them to guarantee it, if they have no idea what lamp you are using?

And there would still be a market for lamps at all price points. There is more to a lamp than the wattage. There are other features that make one more expensive than another.

moushax37 To answer your question, if you just want to do nails for your friends and you want to see if you would like Shellac. Go ahead, buy some colors and try it. But if you ever want to make doing nails a serious business, I would recommend that you invest in a whole system so that you can guarantee the best possible results.

http://www.JesseDavidNailDesign.com
Wilmington, DE
10-04-2011, 02:07 PM
 (Print Post)

I spoke to CND about my shellac peeling issues. I am using an off brand UV light, you would have thought I swore at the tech when I told her that.
I'm playing around with my system at this point to see what I can do to get it to stay on. There were several places I can change technique.
What other UV lights are the rest of you using that "WORK" other then CND brand
10-04-2011, 10:22 PM
 (Print Post)

aj :
> Cheryl,
>
> Hi Big Grin Can you please email me, thanks!

Hi AJ, didn't see this til today. If you are talking to me my e-mail is under my post.
10-04-2011, 10:24 PM
 (Print Post)

Annette1105 :
> I spoke to CND about my shellac peeling issues. I am using an off brand UV
> light, you would have thought I swore at the tech when I told her that.
> I'm playing around with my system at this point to see what I can do to get
> it to stay on. There were several places I can change technique.
> What other UV lights are the rest of you using that "WORK" other then CND brand

For some reason what I posted didn't show up. What bulbs are you using? That could be an issue. Even a 9W bulb will cure gel polish, just depends on what bulbs and how long you are curing.
10-05-2011, 01:28 AM
 (Print Post)

Quote:Annette1105 :
> I spoke to CND about my shellac peeling issues. I am using an off brand UV
> light, you would have thought I swore at the tech when I told her that.
> I'm playing around with my system at this point to see what I can do to get
> it to stay on. There were several places I can change technique.
> What other UV lights are the rest of you using that "WORK" other then CND brand
I use my P.N.I 36 watt full hand tunnel lamp from premier, it was less than $40 and it has never ever been an issue. And now that I use Gelish base I never have a wear problem.
10-05-2011, 08:53 AM
 (Print Post)

I have a $50 star nail lamp that works great. I use gelish and axxium in it. of Course id love to have a nice cnd or opi light but for some techs like me the price is just to much!

CND trained since '02
Lumos & Famous Names- Famous Partner~ want Lumos? Email me!
http://Www.facebook.com/cloudnineathens
Lumos! Dadi' Oil! Vamoos!
10-05-2011, 11:54 AM
 (Print Post)

CloudNineNails
> I have a $50 star nail lamp that works great. I use gelish and axxium in it.
> of Course id love to have a nice cnd or opi light but for some techs like
> me the price is just to much!

Have you used the shellac system at all? I've never tried gelish, whats the difference?
10-05-2011, 11:56 AM
 (Print Post)

sobeit
>
Quote:Annette1105
>> I spoke to CND about my shellac peeling issues. I am using an off brand UV
>> light, you would have thought I swore at the tech when I told her that.
>> I'm playing around with my system at this point to see what I can do to get
>> it to stay on. There were several places I can change technique.
>> What other UV lights are the rest of you using that "WORK" other then CND brand
> I use my P.N.I 36 watt full hand tunnel lamp from premier, it was less than
> $40 and it has never ever been an issue. And now that I use Gelish base I never
> have a wear problem.

did you use Shellac before? Y did you choose Gelish over the other products available?
10-05-2011, 12:00 PM
 (Print Post)

idonls
> Annette1105
>> I spoke to CND about my shellac peeling issues. I am using an off brand UV
>> light, you would have thought I swore at the tech when I told her that.
>> I'm playing around with my system at this point to see what I can do to get
>> it to stay on. There were several places I can change technique.
>> What other UV lights are the rest of you using that "WORK" other then CND brand
>
> For some reason what I posted didn't show up. What bulbs are you using? That
> could be an issue. Even a 9W bulb will cure gel polish, just depends on what
> bulbs and how long you are curing.

I'm using a starpro UV lamp its a 36 watt lamp it has (4) 9 watt bulbs.
The base cure is to only take 10 seconds
the other coats are to be cured 2 min.
03-25-2013, 05:18 PM
 (Print Post)
RE:
(10-04-2011 02:07 PM)Annette1105 Wrote:  I spoke to CND about my shellac peeling issues. I am using an off brand UV light, you would have thought I swore at the tech when I told her that.
I'm playing around with my system at this point to see what I can do to get it to stay on. There were several places I can change technique.
What other UV lights are the rest of you using that "WORK" other then CND brand

if the bulbs are arranged to give full exposure and the lamp using the Phillip bulbs CND uses, what is the difference? I know they can't see your lamp, but more supportive to address issues that arise when even with their lamp there can be problems (and their lamp isn't that great)
I still laugh about the original Brisa video, minutes of a model like the corpse bride strutting down the runway to music like a boba bar... "high fashion", uh huh.... then, "natural" french nail product, poor visibility, bad camera angles... details of application not even mentioned....
Plus, we are not made of money... if their product will work with other good quality lamps, makes life easier for us. I used Brisa with the "Light Elegance" lamp (great lamp, well designed), better side cures than Brisa's
Product companies don't realize they can turn us off a product. A friend ordered BioSculpt for me at a beauty show, they shipped it to me at the salon, my name on the order. I had trouble placing the next order, run around with them not really reading the email and answering questions I never asked and not the ones I did
eventually I was able to call them, the rep, childishly arrogant... told me they never sent it to me if I was not a member, they don't "sell to just anyone", they "have polices to keep their product out of the hands of people who might misuse it"....

I was teaching gel classes when he was in rompers... sure, he doesn't know that, but then... it could have been much more respectful. It made me entirely not interested in paying a large amount of money to "join", suspecting I would be treated like an errant child
Before I run out of product I will experiment with others... co-worker is loving Young LED, the local supplier, "Better Fortune", nice people, well stocked... can walk in and see products, always a plus...

http://wendynailart.tripod.com/

http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh114/wendynailart/
03-29-2013, 01:06 PM
 (Print Post)
RE: can i use any 36 watt uv lamp with shellac??
I use 2 tunnel lamps from Nailite. I use their bulbs, though they do sell Philips. No problem with the cure of anything I've used including Shellac. I did buy a CND lamp. It bit the dust. It sits in my closet.

Brenda
Electrologist 30
Nail tech 3 years
Fairytale Nails (Bring on the bling)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Brenda-Loc...1768602978
03-29-2013, 05:51 PM
 (Print Post)
I used to use the PNI lamp but the bulbs are bad now and I use my shellac lamp all the time, wish I had two. Just wait til the new CND LED lamp comes out later this year....suddenly Shellac is led compatible with their lamp.
12-13-2013, 11:16 AM
 (Print Post)
the 36 watt lamp from ebay should work just as good as the 54 watts from eazy discount. this should no be a problem.

http://www.ebay.com
http://www.eazydiscount.com
12-13-2013, 02:11 PM
 (Print Post)
hello!

CND who is the manufacturer of Shellac only recommends their lamp which is engineered perfectly to work and dry Shellac the right way. You should use the same brand of UV lamp as the products that you are using to have optimum results.

You can use Shellac on Acrylics with the proper preparation.
Thanks and Good Luck!

~Ros
Wholesale Beauty Supply Distributor & Professional
abcnails.com
03-11-2014, 12:05 PM (This post was last modified: 03-18-2014 11:42 AM by Bitsy.)
 (Print Post)
Not all 36 Watt UV lamps are created equal! It's hit and miss so be careful.
I currently have a PNI UV lamp, I love it and works great...
I thought I might save money and purchase a couple of cheap lamps from ebay just for the replacement bulbs but they are by far inferior!
I paid $36 for TWO complete UV lights and I noticed the poor quality before I even opened the box. They were purchased from a USA seller but made in china and there were spelling errors on the box. Beaufly instead of Beauty or Beautify (I don't know what they were trying to translate). The lamps and timers both work but the bulbs are by far inferior and it took twice as long to cure my Shellac manicure. I know this because when I removed the tacky layer... the "tacky" was transferred to the ends of my fingers and made them all sticky. I cured my already completed manicure for another 3 timed sessions (6 minutes) before I was sure that the curing was complete. I am now on day 3 and I'm waiting for the peeling to begin...
I can use the lamps for however long they last but I will invest in quality bulbs from my local salon supply for these.
Also, I have used Shellac on Acrylic and gel nails but try to soak (not in a bowl) only as long as you need to, to remove it for your next manicure or balancing. Keep in mind that the Acetone will break down the enhancement a little each time.
Use CND base coat, colour and top coat and DON'T MIX BRANDS! There are imitations out there and they don't mix. Stay with a system as much as you can afford to!

CND Nourishing Remover is awesome! It does prevent drying.
CND Cuticle remover is fantastic but make sure it all gets removed.
CND Scrub Fresh is the perfect dehydrator and antibacterial.
CND Colours are limited and pricey but worth the investment.
99% isopropyl alcohol will do just fine to remove the tacky layer.
CND Solar Oil is the only cuticle oil to use... other oils and conditioners can and will penetrate your nail bed and cause your Shellac manicure to peel off like plastic. Tried and true!

UPDATE:
My Shellac manicure only lasted a week. The topcoat cracked across the nail, chipped off and separated from the colour coat. This was a first... I do not trust these no name bulbs at all so I will be discarding them or using them in an "emergency" only. I now know that I have to cure 2x as long and I will probably get less than satisfactory results.
If you can afford to, buy a CND lamp... if not, at the very least, buy a reputable brand. Do not spend $36 on two cheap lamps because it's a waste of money.
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Gel lamp/bulb specifics... what watt output? wendynailart 5 656 05-05-2014 07:34 PM
Last Post: Darcy
  Using other bulbs for shellac lamp jennie 2 933 06-13-2013 07:10 AM
Last Post: jennie
  Small 9 watt UV lamps PinknWine 2 1,162 02-06-2013 06:35 PM
Last Post: Melissa82
  Ikonnna 45 watt lamp MicheleMLCP 1 876 01-19-2013 01:55 AM
Last Post: doxangell50
  LED 7 watt light maryannek 2 1,015 12-30-2012 12:36 AM
Last Post: mas nails
  Philips 9 Watt Bulbs Melissa82 3 1,982 10-05-2012 10:29 AM
Last Post: Melissa82
  36 watt light MicheleMLCP 6 1,739 09-09-2012 10:10 PM