You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
I need a go/no go vote
#26
I think we all have to speak for ourselves and not assume what another can or cannot afford. I have to say for me, every $25 counts and I cannot afford to give up that one service, per month. I don't make tons of money and I work hard to bring home everything I can. I actually feel talked down too, like $25 is just nothing, its pocket change, yadda yadda, well to me, it's something, something I will use to help my college kid eat for the week, or fill my gas tank. For me there is NO such thing as extra money.
It's not that I wouldn't appreciate the offerings of UFONT or that I am too lazy to make a difference, I flat out cannot afford it. Nothing to laugh about. It sucks.
 Reply
#27
Sobiet, if my post came across to you as condescending or in any other way negative, I sincerely apologize. That was not my intent at all. It's so frustrating trying to communicate intent in text like this. It can be so easy to be misunderstood. Besides which, my skills of extemporaneous speech are not the best! My intent was only to inspire and motivate thought and action for a cause I support.

Again, I do apologize, and hope there are no hard feelings between us. I respect you as a professional and of course understand your position.
Elyse in WA
http://www.elysiumnailstudio.com
The Nail Princess is in.
 Reply
#28
There are never any hard feelings and I know your intent was not to come across as offensive. There have been several threads where another tech will tell everyone that they think everything is affordable and just give up something to pay for it, in reality one persons $25 a month is another persons $100 a month. I do understand that you are excited about UFONT and their desire to create this organization, just some of us cannot do the price tiers like others can. And on a lighter note, I will always choose my starbucks treat when I feel like a little something special, vs setting it aside and paying a membership fee. Those lattes are a nice creation.
 Reply
#29
I'm a latte-a-holic! I have to ration them or I'd be spending too much $$!!
 Reply
#30
I will now directly address the comments made in this thread.

"use of a logo that no one recognizes"

Not true, our logo has been recognized by several media outlets and by many nail techs and consumers proven by the over 5000 hits every day to our website.

"The information contained in the letter about possible dangers of UV lamps in the nail industry, is widely available on the internet already"

That statement is a misrepresentation of the facts. It is not widely available unless you are specifically looking for it. The vast majority of hits come from articles and stories that promote the skin cancer myth. The goal of the Federation is to make the truth common knowledge.

"How would potential clients even know where to look?"

Through our advertising in mass market media.

"Personally, I would not make any 100% guarantees about the safety of UV lamps because I do not want to get sued."

What are you talking about, exactly what does that have to do with membership in the Federation.

"but exposure to UV light has been linked to cancer."

So has exposure to water.

"need backing from some of the major manufacturers like CND, OPI, Orly, Essie, in order to gain some clout. "

We already have that.

"I also do think $25 is too expensive for me to join a site that does not have any new articles since March"

Untrue, our last article was in late August.

"Also one part of your site says that memberships would be starting at $19.95 a year"

Where?

"I'm not seeing how these promises are going to be kept"

They won't unless we get support form nail techs, otherwise we are screaming into an empty canyon.

"As it stands, I do not see enough value in being a member at the cost of $25 per month."

Then you don’t get the vision. Other industries pay up to $300 per month ($3,600 per year) to have industry representation. We can do it for less then $1 per day.

"Your link suggests that you need to raise at least $5000.00 in the next month, with continual monthly billing, to continue."

Yes absolutely. A publicist is $2000 per month, each consumer magazine we advertise in is $4000 per month. And on and on...

"It's hard to place much credibility in this organization based on it's poorly edited website alone (broken links, typing errors, grammatical flaws...). Plus, some of the membership benefits seem a bit vague and dodgy. I'm just saying...."

This is an absolutely false accusation. There is not one broken link on our site, there are no typing errors and any grammatical flaws are intentional to make the site more readable. In addition we do not list ANY benefits on the site.

"Has this been advertised in the professional Nail Magazines?"

Yes. but in order to continue doing that we need more members.

"An organization can only grow, improve and represent if it LISTENS to what it's membership or industry has to say about what is important to them and what they want in an association that represents them."

We are not beholden to the industry, we are only beholden to our members.

"Um, what happened to the tiered membership fees?"

Gone.

"I believe that most manufacturers DO want a better industry"

Better Industry, better market to sell to or the availability to market their products to consumers?

"As far as I can tell you are running a business, not a ".org" non-profit advocacy group"

Why would we run a .org. What would the purpose of that be. There is rampant fraud and misrepresentation in non profits. In addition we would not be able to do much government lobbing, because those organizations are limited by their tax status.

I think I have a right to expect a bit more....even if English wasn't your major"

Again, please show me ONE broken link. Your accusations are unfounded.

"PS It's most definitely NOT a good business practice to be so sarcastic towards potential clients"

I am not being sarcastic, I am asking you to support your accusations. If there are problems we will fix them.

"You know, Erick, the question really shouldn't be coming from you whether you should keep this thing going or not, but it should be one from the membership as to what have you done in the last few months to put forward the agenda of the UFONT?"

Huh? So we should keep it going or not, I don't understand.

"So what you're asking is for us to put our trust in you with our money so that you can build this organization into something that will eventually serve us as nail techs. Essentially, we are your initial investors."

Yes. If we don’t have enough interest going forward there is no reason for me to advocate for 50 nail techs out of 350,000. No sense in trying to teach a monkey how to fly. I would get frustrated and annoy the monkey.

"skip the "vote for me or I quit" (yes, it did come across to me as more of a pouting session than a professional business proposition"

I will never quit, but me alone screaming from a soap box on the street corner will get us nowhere unless I have support from you. If you do not believe in the vision of the Federation, then it will die with your go/no go vote. I am not pouting, I am stating a fact. Without support the Federation will die. For you to accuse me of "pouting" is offensive. Should I really sit around and advocate for people that don't want advocation?

"this has bugged me for some time. "United Federation of Nail Technicians"? There's a reason why I drew a comic. It really does have too much of a "Star Trek" ring to it, which makes it hard for me to take it seriously"

United Federation of Teachers
The National Black United Federation of Charities
United Federation Baseball
United Federation of Trumpet Players
United Federation of North America
United Football Federation
I could go on for pages.

A Federation is a coming together of individual entities to create a greater good for it's members. I am happy that you are a Star Trek fan; the country you live in is a Federation of States. We are a Federation of our members, not of planets.

"We complain a lot that nail techs are the red-headed step-children of the beauty industry, that no one listens to us, or considers our needs, or gets us education, or whatever else. We're totally up in arms about the bad press nail services are getting recently. So far, though, very few of us are actually DOING anything about it other than complaining. We have a chance to make a change with an association like this. The big hurdle for us is that we have to build it first."

YES.

WE CAN’T FUNCTION UNLESS YOU JOIN. THAT IS THE LAST WORD AND THE BOTTOM LINE.

IF YOU DO NOT WANT THIS, THEN DON'T JOIN.

If you believe the nail tech should have a say, then join now.

Massage Therapy association $27 per month
American Medical Association $35 per month
American Gardening Association $25 per month

Together we can do great things, apart we can, well... Let Dr Oz run rampant, let Today in LA say you give people cancer, Let dermatologists tell their patients to stay away from nail techs, let discount salons continue to spread disease, let state boards pass laws based on ignorance, not challenge ignorant doctors going on record to disparage our industry... and on and on and on.

29 day go/no go vote. It is up to you. 200 new members or we can't make any kind of valuable stance. I am not threatening or saying I will take my ball and go home. This is just reality. Without members we can't do anything.

Hey maybe I seem to come off as abrasive. Do you want a pansy representing you? Do you want someone to go on Dr. OZ and say "You are WRONG" or do you want someone to go on and get pushed around, like usual.

Look, I am not messing around here. This is not fun nor is it easy. Do you want someone to slam their fist down at the state board meeting and say "we will not put up with people that cheat".

Do you really think that I go to bed at night not thinking about the nail techs that are attacking this vision.

I'm going over and over again still at 3am checking for typos or errors in the website.

Do you think that I don't spend countless hours working on this. I am only interested in furthering this profession, bringing it back to prominence and making a trip to the nail tech something that we can all be proud of, instead of the nightmare that the media represents it to be. Instead of the afterthought that salon owners make it out to be.

Thank you to the many people that support this vision. But so far there are not enough. That is the reason for the vote. It is not fair to the 50. We CAN'T go forward with 50 out of 350,000. We need a bigger voice... We need you.
 Reply
#31
Quote:"You know, Erick, the question really shouldn't be coming from you whether you should keep this thing going or not, but it should be one from the membership as to what have you done in the last few months to put forward the agenda of the UFONT?"

Huh? So we should keep it going or not, I don't understand.

You'd get lots of members if there was/were:

-a mission statement.
-a business plan that outlines the UFONT organization.
-an agenda as to what the UFONT plans to accomplish and in what time frame.
-membership/industry communication that advertised the benefits of membership as well as activities and accomplishments of the UFONT.
-open records.
-personal involvement from the members.

These are just a few parts of an industry organization that will build membership and will keep it's members paying the price for representation. Granted, it's important to be doing the legwork behind the scenes, but it's also important for the membership to know what is being done and how being a member can benefit them! Communication is the key.

Just so every one knows, I'm a member and jumped on the bandwagon early on. I pay the highest price ($39.95 a month) and have done so since the UFONT has been in existence. I know it takes time to build a good organization and was convicted enough about this to help with the beginning. I offered my help and have never been contacted. I don't do that lightly and because I joined and have paid that price, I feel I've made an investment in the future of the industry and this organization. I have not yet pulled my membership other than Erick stating that he's going to stop the billing for monthly dues.

However, like anyone who makes an investment in something, it's important to see the return.

"If you want an organization to protect your rights, advocate on your behalf, provide benefits that only large groups can offer you should join the Federation by October 14th, 2011."

I applaud Erick for taking this on as I believe it's important to our industry. I respect him as a businessman and have full faith that his reputation could have an impact for us. But, after 6 months of paying membership fees, now it's time for him to show us how he plans to implement the above statement.
 Reply
#32
harmonysky,

We had a mission statement posted.
We had what we planned to accomplish.
We have been in Nails and Nail Pro.
We have advertised the benefits of membership, activity's and accomplishments.
We have opened our records to tell you how members we have.

We did not gets lots of members.

The things you are telling us to do have already been done. It has attracted 50 members. All of the money raised has gone into attracting new members. I don't want to go another six months like that, do you? I have to put a deadline on it.

The reason for the post was to make a "last call". I am sure that you don't want to continue to pay $39.95 per month for a few letters to be mailed out and a few blog posts to be made. But that is all we can afford to do right now. I don't want to continue like that. It doesn't make any sense.

Quote:But, after 6 months of paying membership fees, now it's time for him to show us how he plans to implement the above statement.

I have already stated several times what our goals are. And I have already stated how we are going to implement them. We have gone 6 months and my hands are tied. I can't implement our goals without members. That is the point. I appreciate your support. I appreciate your belief in what we are trying to do. I appreciate your call for me to do something. I have. I set a deadline for action.

I am telling you why we have not been able to meet our goals and I am telling you what it will take for us to meet them.

If you want something specific and a specific date in which it will be done. OK. October 15th, if we have 200 new members, I will hire a publicist, begin shooting a TV commercial, and prepare a print media campaign. If we don't have 200 new members I will turn the website off.

It sounds like an ultimatum, but I don't know how else to put it or how to make it politically correct. A go/no go vote. In hindsite, that is what I should have started with six months ago.

I have come to the realization, that even though we do have a few dedicated members, like you... Perhaps it is not what people are looking for. Maybe they don't care about organizing and would be best, as someone else said, "I feel that $275 per year could be better spent by the individual nail technician to advance their own interests as well as represent the industry.” It is not fair to you to continue for another 6 months if we are going to be ineffective. You, I and a few others want this, but we might be too few and too far between.

I thought I would give it one more shot, before shutting the whole thing down. This is that shot.

If you want to know what we want to do, here is the short list again:

Hire a publicist and government lobbyists, take out ads in major consumer magazines, offer health insurance, credit card discounts, start State and International chapters, offer education, establish national standards and create a certification program.

This is how we plan to implement it:

Get 200 new members in the next 27 days.
 Reply
#33
I may be a little behind the times on this stuff, but where did you publish the mission statement or the plans for the organization? Where is the business plan? I'm on the website now and I can't see where it is.

Is the information all together in one document?

Can the members have this info sent to them and have regular communication about the activities and accomplishments sent in email? While Face Book is a great site, it's easy to miss status posts amid all the clutter. Perhaps posting this information on Beauty Tech would be a good idea, as well. This would show potential members what we're about and grow the membership.
 Reply
#34
You have to offer a product or service before you can charge for it. It's as simple as that.

If I want to open a salon, I can't go to my customers and say, "OK I have the keys to a building. If 20 of you pay for a manicure, I'll go buy the polish."

With any business, you have to start with the budget you have, and grow with the demand.

Right now you have 50 members. What can you offer with your income from them? If it is of value, they'll tell 50 more, etc.

It's going to take a lot of clout to take on the mass media. So far, even Doug Schoon didn't carry enough with him to get on Dr. Oz, for example.
 Reply
#35
UFONT :
> harmonysky,
>
> We had a mission statement posted.
> We had what we planned to accomplish.
> We have been in Nails and Nail Pro.
> We have advertised the benefits of membership, activity's and accomplishments.
>
> We have opened our records to tell you how members we have.
>
> We did not gets lots of members.
>
> The things you are telling us to do have already been done. It has attracted
> 50 members. All of the money raised has gone into attracting new members.
> I don't want to go another six months like that, do you? I have to put a
> deadline on it.
>
> The reason for the post was to make a "last call". I am sure that you don't
> want to continue to pay $39.95 per month for a few letters to be mailed out
> and a few blog posts to be made. But that is all we can afford to do right
> now. I don't want to continue like that. It doesn't make any sense.
>
>
Quote:But, after 6 months of paying membership fees, now it's time for him
> to show us how he plans to implement the above statement.
>
> I have already stated several times what our goals are. And I have already
> stated how we are going to implement them. We have gone 6 months and my hands
> are tied. I can't implement our goals without members. That is the point.
> I appreciate your support. I appreciate your belief in what we are trying
> to do. I appreciate your call for me to do something. I have. I set a deadline
> for action.
>
> I am telling you why we have not been able to meet our goals and I am telling
> you what it will take for us to meet them.
>
> If you want something specific and a specific date in which it will be done.
> OK. October 15th, if we have 200 new members, I will hire a publicist, begin
> shooting a TV commercial, and prepare a print media campaign. If we don't
> have 200 new members I will turn the website off.
>
> It sounds like an ultimatum, but I don't know how else to put it or how to
> make it politically correct. A go/no go vote. In hindsite, that is what I
> should have started with six months ago.
>
> I have come to the realization, that even though we do have a few dedicated
> members, like you... Perhaps it is not what people are looking for. Maybe
> they don't care about organizing and would be best, as someone else said, "I
> feel that $275 per year could be better spent by the individual nail technician
> to advance their own interests as well as represent the industry.” It is not
> fair to you to continue for another 6 months if we are going to be ineffective.
> You, I and a few others want this, but we might be too few and too far between.
>
>
> I thought I would give it one more shot, before shutting the whole thing down.
> This is that shot.
>
> If you want to know what we want to do, here is the short list again:
>
> Hire a publicist and government lobbyists, take out ads in major consumer magazines,
> offer health insurance, credit card discounts, start State and International
> chapters, offer education, establish national standards and create a certification
> program.
>
> This is how we plan to implement it:
>
> Get 200 new members in the next 27 days.

You can take this for what it is worth - I think that it is going to be hard to get people hand over money and join an organization where the call for membership is "the ship is sinking, the ship is sinking!" Many people, understandably, have a hard time thinking about investing money in a venture that is apparently, according to its chief officer, failing.

I think, if you ever do this again in the future, you may want to think about other ways to drum up membership. A regular weekly post here (positive in tone), for example, updating everyone on what you have accomplished in the previous week/month, and calling for more people to join. It would be free for you and increase your visibility in a positive sense.

Another suggestion - if you are convinced of the need for the organization and that it will be successful once the ball gets rolling - would be to take your business plan, mission statement, goals, etc., to a bank for a business loan. Use that business loan to hire the lobbyist and web designer/editor to get the organization up to speed. Then, in your weekly updates here and on other professional boards, let everyone know how successful you are and highlight the benefits nail techs will receive if they join.

People will be much more likely to join a successful group rather than one that is apparently teetering on failure. Especially if it involves a financial commitment in these challenging economic times.

No offense, but if you want to succeed at this business venture, you need to look to a source of capital like a bank first, develop your business (lobbyist, website, etc) second, and THEN sell your product (membership). It just seems like a backwards way to start a business, even though you mean well.

I sincerely wish you the best.
 Reply
#36
At the risk of sounding like a total ding bat here, UFONT could you manage right now with just a Facebook awareness group and gain members free from there with the potential to to have fees later? I belong to several groups like PCOS awareness and left action, I get daily updates, and members participate to add information and spread awareness about the causes, without paying, they do take donations though. I know you have a facebook already, so would that be an avenue of growth, before you need more paying members. It's a good way to spread the word, and attract nail technicians. And they could all be doing things to get correct information to the public, like sharing your page, and using it in conjunction with the techs own professional facebook page for client awareness as well, which in turn the client may pass on to friends.
Just a thought.
 Reply
#37
UFONT, I am going to give it to you straight. You have a good idea, but you are doing it backwards. You cannot ask people for money to invest in your promises. If that is what you want to do, find investors. It seems like you are wanting to turn a profit from this, instead of dedicate yourself to the promotion of the nail industry. If you were dedicated, you wouldn't stop without more funding, you would keep going and work even harder to prove your cause.

If you provide something of value, then maybe you can expect the money to come. You can't ask for money first. And sorry, "federation" sounds like something from Star Trek. I would ditch everything and start over. You need a new name, a new plan, and renewed dedication. How is what you are doing now going for you? After all, you are ready to stop, so you must know that it's not working.

How are you even comparing yourself to the other organizations in your signature? Are you tax exempt? Do you offer a discount on insurance? Do you offer continuing education? Can we buy into group coverage if we join? How many people refer to your site when locating a nail tech? Do you provide product information? Do you have contact with legislature on both state and federal levels? Does your organization have credibility and clout? And these questions are nothing compared to the benefits other organizations provide: http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/membersh...efits.page? And yes, they do have more funding and time time on their side, but you insist on comparing yourself to them, so there you go. The most important of these questions does not require money, but a talented mind and a way with people and words. If you don't have that, please step aside. If you do, it's time to change the plan, not give up.
 Reply
#38
Quote:UFONT :
> "Also one part of your site says that memberships would be starting at $19.95 a year"
>
> Where?
http://unitednailtechs.com/pdf/FederationPress.pdf
('A Federation Is Born' under Latest Press)
Excuse me it was $19.97
Quote:UFONT :
> "I also do think $25 is too expensive for me to join a site that does not have
> any new articles since March"
>
> Untrue, our last article was in late August.
>
I don't believe "Why should I join" counts as an article related to the industry worth my $25 a month.
IMO since March a lot more could have been done to make this organization more established. Getting techs to submit a nail art tutorial, or write an article for clients about aftercare or 'What should I look for in a nail tech?' You already have the site I'm willing to bet a lot of people would have been willing to pitch in for free. You could use this forum to solicit help. I would be willing to help for nothing in return. I am not willing to pay $25 for nothing in return.
 Reply
#39
I messed up, so I owe you an apology.

It is clear from the feedback over the last few days that many people feel we lacked something to warrant your investment in an association to benefit nail technicians. For that I am sorry.

I am sorry that you don’t think many of my ideas such as the nail tech emergency fund, interest free micro loans, availability of group health care, complaint resolution, media monitoring, national standards and certification etc. are just not enough. I think “dodgy” was the word used.

The Federation was created because I see a need for it every day, in nearly every nail tech I speak too. But just because someone needs something doesn’t always mean that they want it. I am not willing to wait for 3-5 years to build up a level of support to make the Federation sustainable. We needed this four years ago, we need this now. You need a core group of dedicated individuals willing to take a risk to make something work. We don’t have enough of that.

The simple fact is there is not enough interest in the nail tech community to keep an organization like this going. So as of today, I am shutting it down. It makes no sense to continue something that not enough people are willing to get behind. In order to push a car up a hill you need a certain number of people. Once you get to the top, the rest takes care of itself. We don’t have enough people willing to push.

A few weeks after we started I spoke with some of the prominent people in the industry who told me it would never work because nail techs simply weren’t interested in an association. I kept going because I believed so much in what I was doing and that it would help to improve the lives of nail techs. I am sorry I did not listen.

If I had to do it over again, we would start out how we had it structured now, with a single membership fee, instead of a tiered membership plan. Again, it is my fault. I thought that by making it affordable we would have many more members then we actually did. I realized the only way to make it sustainable was to raise the membership fee and get rid of the tiered membership plan. There is no other way to get around the fact that $25 and 200 members is the only way to go financially. With 200 members we could make it work. With less than that, there is no way possible to reach our goals. To wait around spending money to recruit instead of spending money on what really matters is not something I am interested in. I do not believe in big government and I do not believe in spending more resources in recruiting, then in actually doing something. We did not generate enough interest fast enough; there is no point in continuing to spend our member’s money debating the issue.

Some have tried to make a point that we are failing, so this was a last ditch effort to resuscitate the group. That could not be further from the truth. We are doing fine and are in no danger of “going under”. We just can’t do anything that will make a real difference. I have run successful organizations such as this in the past and I know what it takes to make them effective. I got so caught up in the idea of helping people that I lost sight of the fact that there is no support for this idea in this industry. Out of the estimated 150,000 nail techs that have been exposed to the idea, we had around 50 members total. Simply not enough to get the idea off the ground. I thought $19.95 per year would make it affordable for almost everyone and attractive for even students to join. That assumption was incorrect and I am sorry. We could make it work at $19.95 per year, but we would need more people. At $25 per month we could make it work with much fewer people. Either way, we just did not have the numbers.

Someone asked, where is your mission statement, business plan etc. That is funny, because we had it all posted, but took it down after getting several people telling me they wouldn’t join because there was too much information to read. To the people that said we didn’t write enough articles, in the last six months we have written on average one new article per week. But that is my whole point. I don’t want to go on writing articles, not that we would stop. But I want to do something about it. I can write articles until my hands fall off, but in order to get the articles recognized we need 200 members at $25 per month.

This go/no go vote made it obvious to me that there is simply not enough support for the concept. We can debate for months or we can do something about it. It is simply not fair to our current members to continue an organization that will not be able to meet its goals because of lack of interest.

I won’t address any more comments because there is no point, with the exception of one, because it really bugged me. Someone said something like; you can’t tell 20 people if you buy me polish I will open up a salon... Groupon does it.

We can make up as many “what ifs” as we want to but it really just comes down to math. As I said before if I was going to do it again, I would have started out with gaging the interest first, instead of six months down the road. I got caught up in “making a difference”, for that I am sorry.

For the people that have ideas of what we could have done differently or better, all I can say is… you weren’t there.
 Reply
#40
UFONT :

> The simple fact is there is not enough interest in the nail tech community
> to keep an organization like this going. So as of today, I am shutting it
> down. It makes no sense to continue something that not enough people are willing
> to get behind. In order to push a car up a hill you need a certain number
> of people. Once you get to the top, the rest takes care of itself. We don’t
> have enough people willing to push.

But if you don't have tires on the axles or a motor under the hood, you may coast down the other side of the hill, but you still don't have a reliable mode of transportation that will take you anywhere.

UFONT :
>Some have tried to make a point that we are failing, so this was a last
>ditch effort to resuscitate the group. That could not be further from the
>truth. We are doing fine and are in no danger of “going under”. We just
>can’t do anything that will make a real difference.

Um, in every post of yours in this thread, you have said that you are going to shut the Federation down if you don't get 200 members by your deadline. That the group isn't sustainable at the current number of members. So, maybe we are arguing semantics, but to me, this is the definition of a business teetering on failure.

I think that people have tried to be helpful and give you some good suggestions - you may not mean to, but your tone in response is bitter and defensive. Again, I think this impacts recruiting members.

I'm sorry that this venture didn't turn out how you wanted it to. But, instead of blaming all the nail techs out there who didn't rush to sign on for $25 per month/$300 per year for the privilege of pushing a car (that isn't currently running well) up a hill and hoping that eventually it will run on its own, I think that many concerns voiced are valid.

Again, I'm sorry it didn't work out as you wanted it to - you obviously care deeply and your frustration and disappointment (albeit somewhat displaced) shine through in your posts in this thread. I wish you the best in future ventures!
 Reply
#41
UFONT:
It is clear from the feedback over the last few days that many people feel we lacked something to warrant your investment in an association to benefit nail technicians. For that I am sorry.

I am sorry that you don’t think many of my ideas such as the nail tech emergency fund, interest free micro loans, availability of group health care, complaint resolution, media monitoring, national standards and certification etc. are just not enough. I think “dodgy” was the word used.


That's the thing, they're all just IDEAS. You don't pay a membership fee because someone has good ideas.

UFONT:
I won’t address any more comments because there is no point, with the exception of one, because it really bugged me. Someone said something like; you can’t tell 20 people if you buy me polish I will open up a salon... Groupon does it.


You completely missed my point. You cannot sell a service that you don't offer. Groupon promotes existing business by using the power of bulk purchasing. You were asking this board to just sign up before the benefits were even available.

I agree with Elaine, your tone is so angry. I vaguely remember you posting months ago, but this is the first thread I've seen from you, or about this organization since then. Did you honestly think you were going to reach all your goals in 6 months with a couple of BT posts and a FB page? I really think if your intention was to change the nail industry and improve it, you would have a little more staying power.

And, I'm just curious, what about the 50 members who have been subscribing for 6 months? Are they getting a refund, since you are shutting this down? It would be the right thing to do.
 Reply
#42
I think unless your a current member, you have no right to ask for refunds for anyone, and really no right to complain about UFONT and what they want to accomplish or if any goal has been met by them. It was pretty simple, don't support the cause and move on with your life, or do support them and have a voice in what they are doing or not doing.
 Reply
#43
jb,

I should shoot myself in the face for even bothering to respond to you.

They were not ideas, they were existing ongoing programs.

BTW, our current president raised hundreds of millions of dollars on ideas alone. So to say that people don't pay for ideas is like saying that roasted marshmallows are not delicious.

The services were up, going and available.

Quote:You completely missed my point. You cannot sell a service that you don't offer. Groupon promotes existing business by using the power of bulk purchasing. You were asking this board to just sign up before the benefits were even available.

We were using the exact same concept of bulk purchasing. For our final vote we were using the same concept as Groupon. Get enough people to invest in the deal and it's on. In addition the services were up, going and available. In order to bring the full vision into reality we needed 5k per month in revenue. 200 members, $25 per month, the savings for those members would have been much more than $25, everyone would have been making a profit. Or we could have done it with 100 members at $50 per month, or 400 at $12.

We didn't get it. I hope soon that you will tire of kicking a dead horse.

Disparage me, our members vision, tell us that we don't know how to spell, whatever. The best thing is tell us that we are angry. Yes we are angry, angry at the salon owner that treats us like a red headed step child. Angry at the state board, because they are underfunded, angry at the media because they say nail salons are death traps, angry at discount salons because people look the other way, angry at doctors that have NO clue what they are talking about. And angry at you because you are attacking our cause. Dang right we are angry.

United we conquer, divided we fall. What do you care if we succeed or fail, you have no dogs in the hunt.

How about if you needed a new sign, a new air conditioning unit or a new UV lamp. You applied to the Federation (as silly as that may sound), we gave you a micro loan at 0% interest payable at $10 per month until paid in full. THAT WAS AVAILABLE. However it was not sustainable, because there was not enough interest in having an association to represent nail techs.

What if you were in a car accident and couldn't work for a week. Would anyone cut you a check for $500 to keep your electricity on? No they wouldn't, but the Federation would.

Quote:Did you honestly think you were going to reach all your goals in 6 months with a couple of BT posts and a FB page?

How many times do I need to repeat the same thing. We had other media coverage. There is simply not enough interest, we reached 150,000, including you. If we can't get 200 from that, there is no reason to continue. I am not going to get bank loans, spend a million dollars on promotion, do a business plan with a 5 year goal of convincing 200 people to join. Either you want it or you don't. 30 days 200 members, is not "going under" it is a reality of what needs to happen to move on. We didn't get it. P.S. to the person that said something about the car parts at the top of the mountain... who said it was down hill once we got to the top?

Please, please, please write me a letter telling the United Federation of Teachers that you don't like their name and will not take them seriously because of it.

I get it, there are not many people in this industry willing to pay $25 per month for professional representation. I understand.

But seriously dude, you don't know what you are talking about. Exactly how many times have you created an international association from scratch. I have done it three times, two of which were successful.
 Reply
#44
I feel your passion and it is too bad that it has come to an end.

Just 2 questions:

Vicki Peters toyed with the idea of an association recently. Did you approach her for support?

Quote: Exactly how many times have you created an international association from scratch. I have done it three times, two of which were successful.

Which two international associations did you start from scratch?
 Reply
#45
There is probably interest in something like this, executed in a more positive way, where we could see the value and feel that we'd elevate ourselves by joining. The whole garbage can thing at the beginning turned me off to start out with. I don't want to be part of an organization based on anger and negativity.
 Reply
#46
Quote:polished20 :
The whole garbage can thing at the beginning turned me off to start out with. I don't want to be part of an organization based on anger and negativity.
Are the false news reports positive to the industry? I wonder what route you would have taken to send a message that their information was essentially "garbage". When we don't vote, or we neglect to participate in setting the facts straight, how can we criticize how anyone else does it? I guess I just don't get all the negativitiy towards UFONT when in reality the compliants come from non members, who, if in fact were members, would have a say on how the message gets across.
There are complaints all the time about how we hate what is happening in the nail care world, yet we do nothing, aside from complain, and mock anyone actually standing up to do something about it. As someone just said in the blog topic, it's put up or shut up time for the industry.
 Reply
#47
My two cents on all this is that it seemed like your original post and other comments have been very negative, nothing definitive on what the organization has done (said there were too many to list) and to say the least the comments were whiney. To me this is not very professional or a business way of doing things. And you wonder why there was no interest? It made me even more leary of joining. If we all took that kind of approach to building our businesses we would all be broke and closed.

IMO there wasn't enough marketing. I do remember seeing one little ad in a nail magazine. At the least there should have been lots of articles showing what the association had been working on and doing. If there isn't at least articles in our trade magazine then how in the heck do we know you are actively doing things or better yet, how are other nail techs going to know what you are about, what you are doing, what benefits there are to joining????

I sent you an idea, via e-mail, on possibly getting some coverage on "The Today" show in reference to other inaccurate information the Dr. Oz show has done after his show gave false information about apple juice. I didn't get any response. Not even an acknowledgement for the idea or a thank you for suggesting it. It would have been a great opportunity and hot story and it would have gotten the association some publicity and us some much needed corrected information out there about our industry. Would it have hurt to at least acknowledge the e-mail? Even more reason I decided to not join.

Just seems to me the association was not handled in an affective business manner, lack of marketing skills and instead of looking at what the association could have done better and taking some responsibility on what should have or could have been done, it is wanting to place all the blame on us. Any business/association/relationship that fails has to look at all aspects as to why it failed and not just place blame on one part of it.

Until you posted this topic, I didn't even know if this group was still around because I never saw anything more about it or heard anything from it. What does that tell you?
 Reply
#48
sobeit :
>
Quote:polished20 :
> The whole garbage can thing at the beginning turned me off to start out with.
> I don't want to be part of an organization based on anger and negativity.

> Are the false news reports positive to the industry? I wonder what route you
> would have taken to send a message that their information was essentially "garbage".
> When we don't vote, or we neglect to participate in setting the facts straight,
> how can we criticize how anyone else does it? I guess I just don't get all
> the negativitiy towards UFONT when in reality the compliants come from non
> members, who, if in fact were members, would have a say on how the message
> gets across.
> There are complaints all the time about how we hate what is happening in the
> nail care world, yet we do nothing, aside from complain, and mock anyone actually
> standing up to do something about it. As someone just said in the blog topic,
> it's put up or shut up time for the industry.

Someone is trying to get me (nail techs in general) to join an organization. They wanted to know what we thought. I'm saying what I think. I don't have to belong to it to know their message is not appealing to me. I think the way to elevate our profession is individually, by acting like professionals. Not by angrily yelling "take us seriously, dammit!" (figuratively speaking of course)
 Reply
#49
I politely disagree that we can elevate our industry individually by just being professional. For every single professional high standard nail tech, there are 10 in their place doing shoddy work, spreading infectious disease, and giving all of us and I do mean all, a very bad name. We need to be louder, and more present than working in our own little bubbles. Most consumers that visit a nail salon, and even those that don't, have the wrong idea about nail care. We cannot do anything about that going solo. JMO
I don't belong to UFON because I am going through to much financially to afford it. But I believe in what they hoped to accomplish.
 Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 9
Views: 4,170
10-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Last Postsobeit
Replies: 8
Views: 4,612
08-29-2011, 09:50 PM
Last Postsobeit

 
Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)