You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If I decide to take the job w/hair salon with 8 employees...
6 ladies & 2 men co-workers...
Do u charge co-workers to do their nails/pedi services?
half-priced? full-price?
free...? :roll:
How about the owner? do u charge them?
People do kill me saying u can "practice on me" smh which usually means they want it for free.
I have had such bad experiences with co-workers that either way is a catch 22 for me..I have bartered but when its my turn to get done, i get every excuse as to why they cant "fit me in" even though i have soo much patience
or the quality of what i want is terrible or half done..uggh..so i would rather charge but what do u think?
I give co workers a discount on nail services so example gel polish is $30 and they pay $20. They couldn't go to a discount shop here for that price, and it's not to bad for me, becuase they tell their clients all about what is on their nails. Bartering doesn always work, and it should be for time spent, and not dollar for dollar as their services are usually much more than nails. Free is bad and you will end up being taken advantage of or holding hard feelings in the end.
da nail lady :
> 6 ladies & 2 men co-workers...
> Do u charge co-workers to do their nails/pedi services?
> half-priced? full-price?
> free...? :roll:
> How about the owner? do u charge them?
> People do kill me saying u can "practice on me" smh which usually means they
> want it for free.
> I have had such bad experiences with co-workers that either way is a catch
> 22 for me..I have bartered but when its my turn to get done, i get every excuse
> as to why they cant "fit me in" even though i have soo much patience
> or the quality of what i want is terrible or half done..uggh..so i would rather
> charge but what do u think?

I definitely would not do it for free. Bartering is tough, because, as you have found, sometimes the other person gets busy and can't hold up their end of the bargain.

I do offer my co-workers a discount, one of 2 ways. If they can work around my schedule and we're both free, I give 40% off. If they have to make an appointment, I do 20% off.

If you don't put a value on your work, neither will anyone else.

Good luck with the new place.
When I was in a salon I did a bit of bartering (small bit) but generally if I had a service done I paid for it and vice versa. 8 people is too many to be giving steep discounts to, IMO. If all 8 become 2 week clients, that's 16 hours a month that you will not be getting paid properly. If it's a true team environment, referring clients back and forth is a win-win situation without you taking a pay cut. That's just me though :lol:
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
and the owner??
Same goes for the owner. Your paying rent? You have to make the bills still. So in my eyes the owner, is the same as the other renters, when it comes to taking a spot in my books. Now if they are your boss, then they should have to give your your part of the commission for the service.
Start off charging. I made the mistake of being too nice. Some of the girls actually offered to pay and I would tell them to pay me by sending me clients. Well that hardly happened. A few years a go I worked in one salon and we did do the barter.Whenever I worked on the owners they did tip me. For the hairdressers that I told not to pay, they must have told the other girls to go to me and its free. Now I was being taken advantage of. Before I knew it I was doing the whole shops nails. Eventually I built up a clientele and couldn't take them as often. I still had a few that would check my book and ask. It became annoying and very rude. Its uncomfortable at first to ask but its even more uncomfortable to be taken advantage of and to say no. Good luck.
Yes, the owner should pay too. She has a vested interest in your success, I would think she would see the logic of you NOT working for free or for sub-standard wages.
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
I have a thing called "Nail Bucks". It's a dollar for dollar coupon I give to my hairstylist I barter with. Every time she does a service for me, I pay her in Nail Bucks. When she comes to me for a service, she pays me in Nail Bucks. I started out with $100 in bucks (I print them on the computer) because that's what it takes to keep me beautiful (hair color, waxing, etc.) and that's the amount I allow for free services in a month. That's about 3-4 hours worth of services for the whole month. That's not a problem.

Usually she's ahead of me, as I only do nails and she colors my hair. But then she can get a pedi, extra glitter or something else. I also allow her to use the bucks in my boutique if she gets way ahead. That doesn't happen too often.

This way, no one feels like they are being taken advantage of and all is equal. Plus the people who are involved want to participate and aren't just doing it for the free service.

It's totally worth it to me because I like to have all that stuff done for me!
I generally give everyone who works at my salon a pretty decent discount. They all have to make appointments and the good thing is none will no show me coz I know where to find them! :twisted: They're getting their nails cheaper than those 'other' salons and it pays off. Currently 2 stuylists and 1 receptionist is wearing my work. I don't barter my nails because I'll be doing more for them than they will for me. Nothing they can do for me needs to be done as often as they need their nails done. Sharon's idea is the best I've heard!
Friends family and coworkers all get 25% off. I have referal cards that everyone can use. They get 5$ off their next service if a new client come in with the persons name on it. I don't know why people think I need to "practice" either. I can usually wing some thing new or if I practice I do it on my mom. She gets 100% free services no matter what.
I say either equal free service or a minor discount, but with that many employees you will be taking too much of a hit. And if with a discount it would only be at a time where you don't a full priced paying client who has a scheduled appt.

Overall though, I like Harmonysky's suggestion. Keeps everything equal and fair. And yes, even the owner.
I definitely like the 25% off for friends..fam...co-workers...
All of your ideas are great & after all of these years never knew how to handle charging my co-workers
I agree..don't want to start off giving away for free cause they will think it should be at all times
But since I am new to town maybe their 1st sit dwn wit me is free to show them what I do so I can introduce myself to them & explain how important their referrals are to me...just thought of that as I was typing
Thank you ladies...
I feel so much more confident knowing you all are there for me with great ideas & suggestions..
Love this forum!
Its pretty awesome here, even with the ups and downs, LOL.
da nail lady :
> I definitely like the 25% off for friends..fam...co-workers...
> All of your ideas are great & after all of these years never knew how to
> handle charging my co-workers
> I agree..don't want to start off giving away for free cause they will think
> it should be at all times
> But since I am new to town maybe their 1st sit dwn wit me is free to show them
> what I do so I can introduce myself to them & explain how important their
> referrals are to me...just thought of that as I was typing
> Thank you ladies...
> I feel so much more confident knowing you all are there for me with great
> ideas & suggestions..
> Love this forum!

Good idea for a free service to see what you can do and talk about referrals. Remember though that topic isn't only about referring to you but also you referring people to them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 6
Views: 4,344
08-26-2013, 09:39 AM
Last Post[email protected]
Replies: 17
Views: 19,950
06-22-2013, 06:21 AM