You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OPI is coming out with new LED cured gel polish bottle
I am also actually considering OPI's LED lamp. My only worry is, I will then have to figure out which lines will cure in it, as I find not one line fits all. And then I would need a hard gel line that would also cure in it. I am open to saving space, on not changing my bulbs anymore. I know its costly, but I am pondering the idea. Still very very very excited for this launch! Big Grin
> OPI products are sold everywhere - to non professionals.
>
> http://health-beauty.shop.ebay.com/Nail-...ak+off+gel
>
> Look forward to their GelColor being sold on ebay too!
>

If you can figure out a way to prevent this, OPI is all ears.

The law doesn't help. The legal doctrine of first sale, means that once a product is purchased -- even if it is copyrighted or trademarked -- it is the property of the purchaser, who can freely resell it at will. We have lobbied for legislation to get this changed for professional products, but we were unsuccessful.

Since there's no law against it, we rely on contracts. We only sell to authorized distributors, who are contractually obligated to resell only to authorized channels. But no matter how many contracts and agreements we sign --- no matter how many contract-breaking distributors we terminate -- no matter how many lawsuits we file -- EVENTUALLY our product gets out in the open marketplace where we have no contractual or legal control over it. And it ends up in the dimestore, the swap meet, ebay, etc.

Suppose, for example, OPI sells the Axxium Soak Off gel kit to an authorized distributor. Said distributor resells it to a salon supply house. YOU, the licensed nailtech, buy the system from the salon supply house. Well... guess what... you are now the owner. You can do as you please. The distribution chain is contractually restricted but YOU aren't. So, a month later your life changes and you have to quit the nail biz -- what do you do? You sell the OPI kit on ebay, of course.

Much as we'd like to, we have no legal means of stopping this.
PAUL BRYSON, Ph.D.
Principal Scientist, Blue Sky Technology  |  O . P . I
www.coty.com
[anointdhndz :
>
> Wouldnt it be the most IRONIC thing if really, for real-- secretly...that OPI
> and CND were owned by the same company?? I think that would be a laugh.....
> ........If we only knew---right??

OPI was an independent family owned company from 1981 til late 2010. We are now part of the global Coty empire. Coty was founded in France in 1904 but is now owned by a German family.

CND has been through two or three owners, I think. They are currently owned by the Colomer Group, based in Spain.

So... no... we're not owned by the same people.

Funny story though -- years ago, one of the times when CND -- then known as Creative -- was up for sale, the California Lottery was high enough that the winner could have bought them. By pure coincidence, we had a lottery pool going in this building (which at the time housed shipping as well as filling and R&D). We all chipped in $2 and collectively bought a sheet of tickets. The split would have been about 2 million per person if we'd won. Anyway, one girl in shipping said, "If we win, we all don't come to work tomorrow!" I responded, "No, you've got it all wrong... if we win, we buy out Creative!" Too bad it didn't happen -- that would have been interesting.
PAUL BRYSON, Ph.D.
www.coty.com
Mr. Bryson...thanks so much for chiming in here.
That is what I miss about this board.

I really appreciate your feedback, and it helps with understanding the conditions and circumstances around us.
Is there a reason why the color collections are lacking lately?

I mean NO disprespect...but, Im just not impressed...as others-- as you have seen watching this thread. And Im quite sure, there are a lot more than that, that have chosen to keep quiet about it.

We need EXCITEMENT in color !!!! That is what the client ALWAYS expects from OPI.....maybe a change needs to happen at the corporate level? I dunno...but you have changed since Ive been back...and its a little disappointing to be truthful.

Just lettting you know.....and see ppl....they dooo lurk... SmileSmile
" Take time.....to be kind".....
Angel
~Tracy~

Full Time single mom,
Medical Receptionist &
Part Time Nail Artist
Akron, OH
anointdhndz :
> Is there a reason why the color collections are lacking lately?
> I mean NO disprespect...but, Im just not impressed...We need
> EXCITEMENT in color !!!! "

I'm overflowing with comments, mentally - but, "I cannot discuss product development initiatives"...

anointdhndz :

> Just lettting you know.....and see ppl....they dooo lurk... SmileSmile

Yes, we lurk. Not just me either. There are other sharks in this pond. Cue the Jaws Theme.... da dum.... da dum.... da dum da dum da dum....
PAUL BRYSON, Ph.D.
www.coty.com
I honestly believe consumers are way more likely to make a written complaint than written praise. So I do think there are more of us that like the new colors than those who don't, we just aren't as apt to say it publicly. Negative experience is voiced to everyone you can find, while a positive experience is told to a few.
Thanks again Mr Bryson
.....I was beginning to wonder...its been awhile for me...but I had hopes that it was 'still the same'.....but different.

Ive been a member here for almost 10 years...I missed it.

Smile Smile

and the Jaws thing was cute........ :wink:
" Take time.....to be kind".....
Angel
~Tracy~

Full Time single mom,
Medical Receptionist &
Part Time Nail Artist
Akron, OH
mysweetjordan :
> Since my salon had decided to replace my ECO with Axxium (GOd knows why) I
> was hoping to move to the Gel Color instead. When I called OPI they told me
> that the World News relase date was a misprint and I shouldn't expect it until
> 2012. This was a couple of weeks ago.

Does the salon owner realize these are 2 different types of services?

Axxium is a Soak-Off for enhancement clients (can be sculpted, soaks in 20 +/- minutes)
eco So Quick for natural nail clients, traditional polish replacement (soaks off in 3-5 minutes)

It just annoys me when uneducated decisions are made by those in charge. I hear this every day from my husband who works for a major corporation and he comes home in a snit because they make these knee-jerk decisions that are costly in the long run. With the proper information, they can save money and gain business making even more money.
Lorraine, webgirl
http://www.ManicuresThatLast.com
eco Soak Off UV Gel Polish No Solvents, Double the Size - Same Price!
Cinapro Nail Creations - New Art Kits!
http://www.ScentualSpaProducts.com
Cuccio Natural - Enhance the Spa Experience
Free Shipping on all orders over $75
I for one hate it when a client ask where they can buy shellac and I tell them no. But they still come to me for that service anyway. Just like OPI polish being sold everywhere. Its not going to put me out of business, I still sell a lot of polish and is requested most of the time for pedicures. I guess I dont have time to worry about where its sold. Just be the best you can be and the clients will come!!!
I am very excited for the new OPI gel polishes to come out for a little variety from CND. I never did hear exactly when these are going to be released.
The Eco gel polish system, thanks to Elaine Watson, will have a uv/ led lamp that cures anyones product..we are also launching new colors for the line this week and in January look for our bottle formula and matching polish!
Mr. Bryson, I sincerely appreciate your input. I think what my clients are asking for from OPI right now is a combination of fun and funky paired with more conservative colours...kinda like a 50/50 if that makes any sense? So that OPI is more accessible to all ages and backgrounds/professions? I wish you could share your thoughts of course but...I look forward to seeing where OPI is taking the Company now with Coty as their parent Company.

Thank you-
Does anyone know an exact release date? I read in Nails Magazine and Nail Pro that its to be summer of 2011. I was at 2 different professional beauty supplies and one said October the other said Janurary of 2012.
I would love to have them tomorrow!!
Any idea?
Denise
Creative Nail Design Master Technician
Cosmetology Teacher
Esthetician
Paul Bryson :
>> OPI products are sold everywhere - to non professionals.
>>
>> http://health-beauty.shop.ebay.com/Nail-...ak+off+gel
>>
>> Look forward to their GelColor being sold on ebay too!
>>
>
> If you can figure out a way to prevent this, OPI is all ears.
>
> The law doesn't help. The legal doctrine of first sale, means that once a
> product is purchased -- even if it is copyrighted or trademarked -- it is the
> property of the purchaser, who can freely resell it at will. We have lobbied
> for legislation to get this changed for professional products, but we were
> unsuccessful.
>
> Since there's no law against it, we rely on contracts. We only sell to authorized
> distributors, who are contractually obligated to resell only to authorized
> channels. But no matter how many contracts and agreements we sign --- no matter
> how many contract-breaking distributors we terminate -- no matter how many
> lawsuits we file -- EVENTUALLY our product gets out in the open marketplace
> where we have no contractual or legal control over it. And it ends up in
> the dimestore, the swap meet, ebay, etc.
>
> Suppose, for example, OPI sells the Axxium Soak Off gel kit to an authorized
> distributor. Said distributor resells it to a salon supply house. YOU, the
> licensed nailtech, buy the system from the salon supply house. Well... guess
> what... you are now the owner. You can do as you please. The distribution
> chain is contractually restricted but YOU aren't. So, a month later your
> life changes and you have to quit the nail biz -- what do you do? You sell
> the OPI kit on ebay, of course.
>
> Much as we'd like to, we have no legal means of stopping this.

In my opinion the immense amount of professional products sold on ebay and the prices there is no way it all comes from people leaving the nail biz. There are ebay stores selling pro products. It has to be coming from distributors. Is there any way that O.P.I. can number the products by distributors and then purchase them from ebay and run the numbers. One ebay store I checked has been open since 2008 and another one since 2004. Apparently it takes some time to find those who violate their contract. I would advise doing this when a new line comes out. To make sure you are purchasing new items with the numbers. That's my suggestion.
ManicuresThatLast :
> > Does the salon owner realize these are 2 different types of services?
>
> Axxium is a Soak-Off for enhancement clients (can be sculpted, soaks in 20
> +/- minutes)

Axxium is a soak off for natural nails or on enhancements, not just for enhancements... just fyi per the manufacturer's classes for this product. And yes... forever to soak off, but easy to file off. That being said, it's a bit too rubbery for my preference.
Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
I agree, it's sticky as all give out, and rubbery, but boy, does it last. I have to use 3 thin coats or it just puddles on my brush sometimes even using a feather light stroke when applying it.
i'm extremely excited about this OPI line! I only use OPI polish in my salon, and I am always purchasing the newest colors. I agree, some clients really "hate' the new collection. however......how many colors does OPI currently offer? Are you people saying that there is NOTHING out there to fit your clients' needs? At my last inventory count i had 496 bottles of OPI polish, and that was last summer. In my opinion, if you can't find something on my polish rack, i can't help you Big Grin What i tend to do when there are some not-so-popular new colors is buy old ones! i will go thru my rack and make a list of colors i need to replace. Then I go to Cosmoprof and buy those colors, usually there are 5 or 6 at a time. Then I place them in my "special rack" on my coffee table where my clients always seem to look first. It makes me laugh because most clients will bring one of those polishes over for me to use on them. And so many times they will ask me if those are the new colors! Haha it makes me laugh because, honestly, most of my clients have no idea what the name of the polish is that they are wearing! They just like to have something new to wear. So I won't be buying into any other polish lines. OPI works for me.....I may not always agree on their color selections, but that's when you pull out the old faithfuls, like, "A rose at dawn, broke by noon", or " Aphrodites Pink Nightie"!!
*Loving my job since '97*
When is the official release date??
Denise
Creative Nail Design Master Technician
Cosmetology Teacher
Esthetician
Quote:CandiceAE :
Axxium is a soak off for natural nails or on enhancements, not just for enhancements.
just fyi per the manufacturer's classes for this product. And yes... forever to soak off, but easy to file off. That being said, it's a bit too rubbery for my preference.

I think what she was saying is Axxium can be used as an enhancement and sculpted as well as alone as color so its more sturdy than Eco which cannot be used as an enhancement but instead its replacing nail polish. Which really is 2 different kind of products and services.
ManicuresThatLast :
> mysweetjordan :
>> Since my salon had decided to replace my ECO with Axxium (GOd knows why) I
>> was hoping to move to the Gel Color instead. When I called OPI they told me
>> that the World News relase date was a misprint and I shouldn't expect it until
>> 2012. This was a couple of weeks ago.
>
> Does the salon owner realize these are 2 different types of services?
>
> +/- minutes)
> eco So Quick for natural nail clients, traditional polish replacement (soaks
> off in 3-5 minutes)
>
> It just annoys me when uneducated decisions are made by those in charge. I
> hear this every day from my husband who works for a major corporation and he
> comes home in a snit because they make these knee-jerk decisions that are costly
> in the long run. With the proper information, they can save money and gain
> business making even more money.

I'm not sure she even cares. The pricing alone at the salon follows absolutely NO rhyme or reason. As far as I know this services should be

price of manicure + price of manicure/2= colorgel price

My mani was $20 my eco mani was $37? Why? Because she could not accept that it was NOT a traditional gel enhancement service. I'm so burnt out from dealing with these people and their businesses.
Crazy in l Heart ve with Cuccio!
*nailnazi* :
> i'm extremely excited about this OPI line! I only use OPI polish in my salon,
> and I am always purchasing the newest colors. I agree, some clients really
> "hate' the new collection. however......how many colors does OPI currently
> offer? Are you people saying that there is NOTHING out there to fit your clients'
> needs? At my last inventory count i had 496 bottles of OPI polish, and that
> was last summer. In my opinion, if you can't find something on my polish rack,
> i can't help you Big Grin What i tend to do when there are some not-so-popular
> new colors is buy old ones! i will go thru my rack and make a list of colors
> i need to replace. Then I go to Cosmoprof and buy those colors, usually there
> are 5 or 6 at a time. Then I place them in my "special rack" on my coffee
> table where my clients always seem to look first. It makes me laugh because
> most clients will bring one of those polishes over for me to use on them.
> And so many times they will ask me if those are the new colors! Haha it makes
> me laugh because, honestly, most of my clients have no idea what the name of
> the polish is that they are wearing! They just like to have something new to
> wear. So I won't be buying into any other polish lines. OPI works for me.
> ....I may not always agree on their color selections, but that's when you pull
> out the old faithfuls, like, "A rose at dawn, broke by noon", or " Aphrodites
> Pink Nightie"!!

I was thinking the same thing. How many more pinks, reds, and neutrals are there left to make?
thier's already a new pure gel system out called gella, i have used it and it awsome. i have already thrown away all my harmoney stuff
mysweetjordan :
> ManicuresThatLast :
>> mysweetjordan :
>>> Since my salon had decided to replace my ECO with Axxium (GOd knows why) I
>>> was hoping to move to the Gel Color instead. When I called OPI they told me
>>> that the World News relase date was a misprint and I shouldn't expect it until
>>> 2012. This was a couple of weeks ago.
>>
>> Does the salon owner realize these are 2 different types of services?
>>
>> Axxium is a Soak-Off for enhancement clients (can be sculpted, soaks in 20
>> +/- minutes)

you can purchase a new pure gel system called Gella between 14-16
at http://www.eznails.com

>> eco So Quick for natural nail clients, traditional polish replacement (soaks
>> off in 3-5 minutes)
>>
>> It just annoys me when uneducated decisions are made by those in charge. I
>> hear this every day from my husband who works for a major corporation and he
>> comes home in a snit because they make these knee-jerk decisions that are costly
>> in the long run. With the proper information, they can save money and gain
>> business making even more money.
>
> I'm not sure she even cares. The pricing alone at the salon follows absolutely
> NO rhyme or reason. As far as I know this services should be
>
> price of manicure + price of manicure/2= colorgel price
>
> My mani was $20 my eco mani was $37? Why? Because she could not accept that
> it was NOT a traditional gel enhancement service. I'm so burnt out from dealing
> with these people and their businesses.
ManicuresThatLast :
> mysweetjordan :
>> Since my salon had decided to replace my ECO with Axxium (GOd knows why) I
>> was hoping to move to the Gel Color instead. When I called OPI they told me
>> that the World News relase date was a misprint and I shouldn't expect it until
>> 2012. This was a couple of weeks ago.

you can purchase a new pure gel system called Gella between 14-16
at http://www.eznails.com

>
> Does the salon owner realize these are 2 different types of services?
>
> +/- minutes)
> eco So Quick for natural nail clients, traditional polish replacement (soaks
> off in 3-5 minutes)
>
> It just annoys me when uneducated decisions are made by those in charge. I
> hear this every day from my husband who works for a major corporation and he
> comes home in a snit because they make these knee-jerk decisions that are costly
> in the long run. With the proper information, they can save money and gain
> business making even more money.
i know that a company that is giving over 40.00 worth of Free products called Gella with any order over 100.00, this product is a pure gel system non-solvent. so if you cant wait for OPI try this.
Nails6, really? It's enough with the post after post after post ALL 14 of them in a few hours actually as a push to buy your Gella. We read it in several threads already and it's getting discouraging to see so many topics turn into sales pitch reading. It great to love a product and want to talk about it, but how about not doing it so many replies in the same topic thread. Just say it once and let people decide.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 4
Views: 2,264
03-22-2015, 09:31 PM
Last Post[email protected]
Replies: 4
Views: 3,606
04-02-2014, 02:14 PM