You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
BeautyTech.com

BeautyTech Main PageBeautyTech Main Page        BeautyTech ForumsBeautyTech Forums        Beautytech ShoppeBeautyTech Shoppe        CalendarVisit Nailtech.com        Like us on Facebook        Follow us on Twitter        Find us on Pinterest        View our videos on YouTube       
click THIS... win STUFF...click THIS... win STUFF...        SponsorsSponsors        NT Mailing List SponsorsNT Mailing List Sponsors        SearchFREE Salon Locator Listing        LINDLI Network Day       
FAQFAQ        ContactContact        SearchShoppe Search        SearchForum Search        Make Homepage

BeautyTech Dedicated to Educate and Decorate BeautyTech Home

BeautyTech Sponsors SPONSORS
BeautyTech Sponsors NT Mailing List Sponsors

CONTESTS
BeautyTech click THIS... win STUFF... click THIS/win STUFF
BeautyTech Strut Your STUFF Competition Strut Your Stuff

SHOPPING
BeautyTech Shoppe BeautyTech Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Swap & Shop
BeautyTech Shoppe Salon Posters
BeautyTech Shoppe Milady Publications
BeautyTech Shoppe NailTech Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Empower NailArt
BeautyTech Shoppe EZ Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Odyssey Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Valentino Air Filter
BeautyTech Shoppe Star Nail International
BeautyTech Shoppe Cuccio Naturale
BeautyTech Shoppe Cinapro Nail Art
BeautyTech Shoppe HairCentral

NETWORK
NailTech Connect @ BeautyTech Forums NailTech Connect
BeautyTech Forums Message Boards
NailTech Mailing list @ Google Groups Mailing List
BeautyTech Network Events Network Events

TOOLS
BeautyTech Search Shoppe Shoppe Search
BeautyTech Search Forum Forum Search
Search Business Builders
BeautyTech Professional Licensing Links Licensing Info
BeautyTech Calendar Calendar
BeautyTech.INFO FREE Salon Listing FREE Salon Listing
BeautyTech Photo Gallery Photo Gallery

EVERYTHING ELSE
Advertise @ BeautyTech Advertise
BeautyTech Contact Contact Us
BeautyTech Privacy Policy Privacy Policy

STAY INFORMED

ADVERTISEMENT

FEATURED AD

NailTech.com - Star Nail International, Odyddey Nail, HairCentral, Empower Nail Art

Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I want to work at The Painted Nail
06-28-2011, 09:52 PM
 (Print Post)
I want to work at The Painted Nail
I don't care about all the haters. I love her shop. I love the organizer that came in and did a great job on the place. The girls sound fun and I like to laugh. Of course I can't work there, I live in CO. But the place just speaks fun, clean, fun, happy work and the kind of unique vibe I prefer. Forget unprofessional, from what I have seen, she hasn't done anything inside her shop in view of anyone that would be an issue. Her personality is not for everyone but it is for me. I will just watch and giggle, and take notes on the fun retail, and decor.
Quote this message in a reply
06-28-2011, 10:29 PM
 (Print Post)

This has been the second post where a comment was made about "haters". First of all, I never said I hated her, her salon or her show. Hate is a very strong word and I don't hate anything. I might dislike something or disagree or find actions unprofessional, but I have never used the word "hate". There is a big difference between hate and dislike!!

And it her shop got clean after she hired an organizer.......lol!!
06-28-2011, 10:50 PM
 (Print Post)

Awe Cheryl I hope your not takin the word hater as a personal attack on you. I am talking in general terms. And I am pretty sure ya know what is meant by the slang use of "haters" and that it really has nothing to do hate. But more to do with dislike. LOL.. This isn't a personal thread. Just me sayin I like her place, I like the funky hair, the fun style, tattoos and all things that scream Sobeit.. Big Grin

Was there another thread created about haters? Or do you mean the industry took a step back thread? I don't think you hate, and your definitely not the only anti the painted nail reality show. But I don't care about the view of the show, I like the shop and reality tv pushes them to act out. It's not all drama all the time.
06-29-2011, 12:44 AM
 (Print Post)

"haters gonna hate" is just a new way to say Ha, I see you disagree with me. It's not meant to be taken literally. I would say it is a rather new expression used by younger people. My college age kids tease me when I disagree with something they like, ask me if I've been sipping on "hater-aide". Makes me laugh.

I think the lady who own The Painted Nail has some genius ideas. She serves alcohol yet has no liquor license. She can do that because she gives it away for free.... As the wine, champagne flows, so do the tips. I bet people tip 50 to 100% at that salon.
Find all posts by this user
06-29-2011, 12:18 PM
 (Print Post)

kkgunn :
> "haters gonna hate" is just a new way to say Ha, I see you disagree with me.
> It's not meant to be taken literally. I would say it is a rather new expression
> used by younger people. My college age kids tease me when I disagree with
> something they like, ask me if I've been sipping on "hater-aide". Makes me
> laugh.
>
> I think the lady who own The Painted Nail has some genius ideas. She serves
> alcohol yet has no liquor license. She can do that because she gives it away
> for free.... As the wine, champagne flows, so do the tips. I bet people
> tip 50 to 100% at that salon.

This woman is high energy and a comedian, her salon is full of fun. Are there girls who don't get along? sure, that happens in most salons, are they on TV arguing though, no, you need a reality show for that. No one here can honestly tell me that the have never talked like a trucker or used some unpleasant words. Since we don't see her cussing out customers but instead yelling outside her work place in private, I see no unprofessional acts. The booty clap and rap in week one? Hello she was alone with 2 customers, who actually think its hilarious and there was no issue.. I swear there are some who act like their life is full of cherries and ice-cream, pleases and thank-yous, halos and angel like behavior, hour after hour LOL. No way.
06-29-2011, 10:38 PM
 (Print Post)

I'm sorry Peggy. I had no idea what the term "haters" meant besides hating something or someone. Guess I'm not up to snuff on the new slang. Thanks for the clarification!! Nothing personal taken Peggy, it's all good.

Here in my state you can't even serve alcohol for free. You have to have a license for that too. I'd be more concerned about a liability issue if someone she served too much alcohol too was to have a wreck and/or kills someone. Her salon may be held liable for manslaughter. But that is my logical business sense kicking in........lol!!
06-29-2011, 11:25 PM
 (Print Post)

Lots of salons and spas serve a complimentary glass of wine or other with a service. Not the whole bottle or glass after glass, as that would be to expensive. So I'm am sure she is all good with that choice. I don't think you should serve anything your not comfortable with.
And Cheryl, it's not that your behind the times, or that the term Haters is a young persons slang, I'm 37. It's just an opposite term for like. I believe you may have taken my entire thread personal, or like I was talking directly to you. I hope I am wrong about that, but the response seemed like you felt the need to defend yourself. You don't need to do that. I was just making a general statement about those who don't think the same way about the show and salon as I think about it.
Again neither way is wrong, it's just what we prefer.
06-29-2011, 11:57 PM
 (Print Post)

Just a reminder when it comes to alcohol, as rules and regulations are constantly evolving it's always a good idea to make sure that you're in compliance with state, county, and city requirements. You may be required to obtain a license or permit even to offer a complimentary beverage. As well, make sure that your liability insurance will cover any incidences that could arise.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-30-2011, 12:09 AM
 (Print Post)

No one is suggesting to anyone else to serve alcohol, only that a lot of salons and spas do and being that she is televised I'm a pretty sure she has that figured out. I have no intention of serving it, as I am not spending the money on it. But if I were to do it, trust me, I would make sure I could. So I don't want anyone thinking that we need to get the rule books out to start serving booze. This is about me liking the show. Nothing more. I am not here to say let's get wild and stupid about our business practices. If we have to follow the rules about sanitation, I would hope everyone should know we have to follow the rules about giving alcohol to customers.
06-30-2011, 08:05 AM
 (Print Post)

Peggy, I didn't take the reference to haters personally, believe me. Like I said before, the word, to me, is a very strong word and wanted to clarify that wasn't the case for me. I guess I relate that word more towofds "hate crimes". It's all good!!
06-30-2011, 10:51 AM
 (Print Post)

Big Grin Here's hopping for a happy day!

JO
Nail Technician
Xtreme Lashes Certified Lash Stylist
06-30-2011, 11:52 AM
 (Print Post)

Quote:jogels :
:roll:

LOL I'm actually not asking for any opinions yours or anyone elses here. hahahaha.. If it annoys you and you want to roll your eyes, you can ignore the post and move on to something that peaks your interest. Thanks.
06-30-2011, 12:27 PM
 (Print Post)

Just FYI, this is from the DEPARTMENT OF ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE CONTROL
TRADE ENFORCEMENT guidelines:

ALCOHOL AT UNLICENSED PREMISES
Giving, selling, or furnishing free alcoholic beverages at an unlicensed salon, clothing store, jewelry store, art gallery, etc.
is not legal (Section 23300). Businesses like these will be considered illegal bottle clubs if alcohol is provided to, or
consumed by, customers (Section 25604).

The same is true in Washington, you can't give clients alcohol without a license to do so. Bummer, but this is what I discovered when I opened my studio. Places still do it, of course - and for all we know she has a liquor license for her shop on the show.

Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
06-30-2011, 01:01 PM
 (Print Post)

Thank you for the info CandiceAE, I sure hope people look into the regulations and laws before embarking on anything that would put their business in jeopardy. She very well may and absolutely should hold a liquor license if that is what is required for her to serve clients. I'm still not suggesting one way or the other for people to do it. And her servicin alcohol is not a factor for me of why I love the salon look, vibe, and style. Like I said I dont serve it and if I had my own salon, I wouldn't serve it there either.
06-30-2011, 03:35 PM
 (Print Post)

you just make sure to offer anyone that flash a badge when they walk into the salon a drink too and everything is OK.

J Pham
No boundaries, just possibility.

http://www.facebook.com/jphamfb
06-30-2011, 08:39 PM
 (Print Post)

Pham--you are sooooooo funny!!!

Do you just sit back and laugh at us crazy, hormonal women all day?? shaking your head thinkin we are all nuts??

You always have the grace to chime in right when needed. What a wise, wise man you are. Smile

" Take time.....to be kind".....
Angel
~Tracy~
Full Time Nail Artist
Akron, OH
07-02-2011, 06:21 PM
 (Print Post)

Sobeit I LOVE the show!!! I love the salon, I love Katie, I love everything about it. I know there are people who don't but I dont care one bit, that girl is super successful and runs an awesome freaking business and I'm totally planning on following in her footsteps! I'm over stuffy spa's were every one walks on eggshells and is afraid to laugh out loud and have a good time, I'm about to take on my spa all my own and expand into all nails and it's totally going to have that fun, fresh, awesome atmosphere! So far I've polled all my clients and they LOVE the idea! Any way you and I are on the same page on this one!!! Love me some painted nail!!! Rock on Smile oh and my new goal in life is to have the east coast version of that reality show Wink

Gina, nail tech. NC
07-02-2011, 07:27 PM
 (Print Post)

Gina, what type of services does your salon offer now? Are you purchasing your current location or opening in a new location?
07-02-2011, 07:50 PM
 (Print Post)

IMO you to can have a fun atmospere w/o the drama and acting so unprofessional. As with any business there is a need for all types of atmospheres. Some clients want and need a quiet place, while others won't mind a noisier atmosphere. Finding the kind of environment that best suits you and your clients is what is important.
07-02-2011, 07:52 PM
 (Print Post)

nailtechNC28117 :
> Sobeit I LOVE the show!!! I love the salon, I love Katie, I love everything
> about it. I know there are people who don't but I dont care one bit, that girl
> is super successful and runs an awesome freaking business and I'm totally planning
> on following in her footsteps! I'm over stuffy spa's were every one walks on
> eggshells and is afraid to laugh out loud and have a good time, I'm about to
> take on my spa all my own and expand into all nails and it's totally going
> to have that fun, fresh, awesome atmosphere! So far I've polled all my clients
> and they LOVE the idea! Any way you and I are on the same page on this one!!!
> Love me some painted nail!!! Rock on Smile oh and my new goal in life is to have
> the east coast version of that reality show Wink

Gina, Thank you. I was beginning to think there was only me and kkgunn who thought "The Painted Nail" was not full of unprofessional people. I am thinking your place will be a riot, and beautifully fun.
Do you ever wonder why people protest against the show so much,and say she portrays a bad image of amazingly enough all nail techs, when she isn't even a nail tech? There have been zero bad dirty services shown.
Ever wonder why they use exclamation points behind the words when describing how they feel about Katie cussing? Which happens to be on her personal time, in her office, at her car, in her home, or in the interview room? I wonder.
I want to know if the major protests are given by those who act fake all the time. I mean really, you cant laugh at work? You cant do a booty clap for Too Short? Really? You cant get upset, or cry, at home or in your office? Are the protesters even real people? Because I sure know my life is full of things to laugh, cry, and cuss at. Its funny that the only image that some want the world to see of the industry is boring ho hum, did I mention boring activities.
Your going to love your new place, I sure wish there were one around here like that. One who has fun with the client. And clients who don't want to have fun, but want to walk in a robe with meditation music, do not go to places like the painted nail for that.. My clients are a crack up. I am so sick of the salons that only want classical music playing, with incense and aromatherapy, silent workers, whispers, blah blah. I want out going fun up beat days. So No, salons like the painted nail are not unprofessional, Unprofessional is dirty, poor quality service and, rude demeanor.
PS to those who want to say look at her Yelp reviews. WE ALL know when we have a poor experience we are way more likely to put it out there, than we are if we have a good one. So just because she has some clients who didn't like what ever was going on, does not by any means mean that that is the majority. It means they are the only ones who said anything. So lets not assume its a horror shop.

There are more of us in the world that want to see shows like the painted nail, the jersey shore, real housewives, mob wives, salon take over, hell's kitchen, kitchen nightmares. Than there are those who don't. Want to know how I know this LOL. Because they are all on their multiple season. That's why. OK not mob-wives and the painted nail. Yet. So That is what real people watch.
NOT an open invitation for your opinions on HOW I FEEL, I am allowed to want to work there, or anywhere like it. You are always welcome to say how you feel about the show or the salon, but your not welcome to roll your eyes or tell me you think what I want is stupid. Lets not get personal.

CHERYL: my response to Gina was in the works before your post. This is not about you, I just want you to know that... Just want to add, when a salon like the painted nail is open you can tell what type of atmosphere your getting, its not a quite day at the spa. Its a hip upbeat salon. And the drama shown, its on personal time, or with no clients around. So we cant say that drama does not happen in the salons break room. Shoot even Tabitha's salon take over, NO salon there is what you all say is the norm. Its not normal to work in a salon full of what you want. It happens, but it is not the norm.
07-02-2011, 08:28 PM
 (Print Post)

It's currently a spa we do nails, massage, esthetics, and waxing at but we are splitting and my business partner is going to another location cause she wants to stay small and I want to grow. I am renting the space, have been for the last 2 years and expanding to all nails and boutique. It's going to rock!!! I'm so excited. My clients love me because I am a little over the top, and joke and laugh, cut up ect. So I want to create an environment that everyone just feels comfortable In and would want to hang out even if they weren't having their nails done. Out of curiosity, why is it that everyone can't just respect all opinions? I don't think badly of people who don't like the painted nail and they shouldn't think badly of the people who do like it. Why does it seem so many feel our idustry should only fit into one category? I strive to be different and not conform so that's why I like her place. The other thread about taking a major step back was a joke to me cause it is like saying we all think the nail industry should be one way and one way only. Any way it seems that everyone has to criticize everyone else's opinions. I respect what everyone shares and thank everyone for their opinions. I just wish everyone else could learn to do this too. That's the beauty of our industry, it's all different, unique and creative!

Gina, nail tech. NC
07-02-2011, 09:57 PM
 (Print Post)

While your clients are supporting the more fun environment, how do they feel about the scaling back of services? Most clients are always excited to be able to keep their business in one salon, what type of feedback have they given on that? Does your former partner plan on still having nail services, or are you going to work together on referrals (she sends you nail clients, you send her spa clients)?
07-02-2011, 10:05 PM
 (Print Post)

I have been enjoying the show. She has the same sick humor that I have. The first or second episode she imitated her graphics girl, I thought I would lose my mind. I laughed for hours. My primary job is a legal assistant in a law office and find it unbelievable that her "assistant" was such an incompetent. She would have never made it to the "3 strike rule" in my office. Anyway, on to the next question. I worked in a salon where if the client brought their bottle in, they could drink it.

Now the most important question -- I see that some salons have comfy chairs instead of pedichairs (which I would prefer) but don't you have to have a chair that can be sprayed and disinfected under Board rules? Thanks!

Angela

Angela
Angel
07-02-2011, 10:35 PM
 (Print Post)

Quote:nailgalinaz :

> Now the most important question -- I see that some salons have comfy chairs
> instead of pedichairs (which I would prefer) but don't you have to have a chair
> that can be sprayed and disinfected under Board rules? Thanks!
>
> Angela

That is a great question, I have never even looked to see if that regulation has been added to my CO handbook. I don't have comfy chairs like the painted nail, my space does not allow for it. I have 2 office chairs, mine is cloth and the clients is leather, and I do wipe it down. But the reception area has these beautiful orange velvet chairs for our clients to wait in, and those don't need sanitized as far as I know, so I cannot imagine there would be a difference. Maybe someone will be able to point us in the right direction.
I am getting ready to reupholster my chair to a fun citrus color theme. I need a change, but it has to be small, since I rent my space and cant bring in to much more decor, nor do I want to purchase new chairs since my current ones work great. The color is just outdated. LOL

Quote:nailtechNC28117
Out of curiosity, why is it that everyone can't just respect all opinions? I don't think badly of people who don't like the painted nail and they shouldn't think badly of the people who do like it. Why does it seem so many feel our idustry should only fit into one category? I strive to be different and not conform so that's why I like her place. The other thread about taking a major step back was a joke to me cause it is like saying we all think the nail industry should be one way and one way only. Any way it seems that everyone has to criticize everyone else's opinions. I respect what everyone shares and thank everyone for their opinions. I just wish everyone else could learn to do this too. That's the beauty of our industry, it's all different, unique and creative!

I so fully feel what you just said here. I am not in that group of what some think is professional looking. I have Tattoos on my shoulders and legs and I wear cloths to highlight them. ( my new one is based on my avatar here, a couple wearing gas masks kissing. My man has a Mohawk and is handing me a pumpkin that represents my daughter )
I love my ripped jeans and off the shoulder shirts. Plaid heels and platform Mary Jane's. I wear a flower in my hair everyday and I like pink eye-shadow. I am nothing like the girls I work with, all are fairly casual and reserved and a bit on the natural side. We all get along wonderfully and they seem to love my uniqueness. Not a day goes by where at least one of my clients will apologize for not bringing me a hot Vampire for my pleasure hahaha. Not kidding. I belong in a place that has different music, I don't want it loud or inappropriate for the general public, but I don't want to sound like I am in church. I belong with the girls I work with, but a more me atmosphere.

I never ever tell my coworkers that they are to mild. And no I am not loud, obnoxious or rude, but I am fun and fun to look at, and they never tell me that I am unprofessional. I am not fake. I do not pretend to be something I am not. I give the best nail care as far as my clients and I are concerned. I have a book full of retired country club ladies and house wives. All who love me and my ways. None of them would come to me if they werent into my work and my personality. None. They could go to any place for dull in my eyes.
We are not all the same. Yet this world is so damn judgmental and a lot of people want us to act the way they would, talk the way they would, dress the way they would. And when we don't, we are unprofessional. Taking the industry down a notch some how.
The reality is, we will attract clients with like minds, or like wants, and so on. We dont need a salon that makes every customer all warm and fuzzy. We need a salon that represents how we want ( or the owner ) and if its not for that client or coworker they are welcome to find one that is.

On the list of 5 regrets of the dying, people regretted living the way other people wanted them too, and not being true to themselves. I will never do that. If you don't like something about me, you are free to leave. This is my life, I live it for me. I will not conform to anyone else' s desires.
The Painted Nail is not hurting anyone.
07-03-2011, 07:38 AM
 (Print Post)

nailgirlerika :
> While your clients are supporting the more fun environment, how do they feel
> about the scaling back of services? Most clients are always excited to be able
> to keep their business in one salon, what type of feedback have they given
> on that? Does your former partner plan on still having nail services, or are
> you going to work together on referrals (she sends you nail clients, you send
> her spa clients)?

My clients have no problems with it at all since I am mainly who they see. They are thrilled for me since they see how rapidly my business is growing and that I need the space and have been wanting the space for a year now. My partner is only moving around the corner, as in walking distance to where I am now so they can still conveniently access her services if need be, however since you seem so concerned over my business, I'll let you in on a major detail... My partner is almost NEVER there. It frustrates both me and my clients and even when my clients want to use her services she's not there to do it. I'm sick of having to turn away clients on the phone constantly too and think how if I had that extra space I could be accommodating more of my own clients. I don't know why you seem so concerned over my business, I think I know better than you what is good for me Wink as for referrals of coarse I would still refer to her and hope she would to me, however I refer them now and she isn't really there to help them. I don't feel nail clients are attracted to big fancy spas with all the services under one roof to be honest. I think quite the opposite! All my clients love where I am becauseit doesn't have a lot going on and it a small intimate atmosphere. I'm pretty sure most of my clients are attracted to me and my skills and I have ready made a huge impact on the local area and started building a really good reputation. So I don't think that when someone's friend tells them to come see me to get their nails done their going to care that we don't do facials under the same roof.

Gina, nail tech. NC
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Wink Nail Talk Radio: Tammy Taylor (Always Fun, Never Work) NTR_Braden 1 1,445 09-16-2012 10:29 PM
Last Post: NTR_Braden
  Valentine's hand painted wendynailart 8 2,180 02-23-2012 03:46 AM
Last Post: wendynailart
  Hand painted line art ! dnails1 11 2,890 11-22-2011 05:34 AM
Last Post: Bob
  Addams Family hand painted nail art *pic* sobeit 15 3,826 10-18-2011 05:54 PM
Last Post: sobeit
  Simple Hand Painted Halloween Nailart. sobeit 24 6,874 10-12-2011 08:19 PM
Last Post: sobeit
  My Hand painted Halloween ornaments *updated* sobeit 30 8,139 08-27-2011 03:34 PM
Last Post: erindoesnails