You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
I want to work at The Painted Nail
#26
Years ago when I got out of school, I had the opportunity to rent a suite. It was just being built and a girl I went to school with was going to rent with me and share while we built our businesses. Both of us had other jobs we needed. Just before we had to finalize the lease, she backed out. Being a single parent with 2 small kids, I was afraid to take the chance alone and have regretted that ever since.

The salon I rent at is right around the corner from it. I like where I am, but since I now share a station with some young girl from "one of those shops" because her landlord got forclosed on the complex, she was looking for a station. I only rented part of the week because I still work a full time job in another field. So far, first experience with her was showing up on my day to put her stuff away while I had a client and then being there on my day when I came in from my other job. I was not a happy camper. She told me on Thurs she had already had clients in the morning for Friday. I let her use it for that Friday ONLY and she was still was there (until 4:10 p.m.) after I got there. She told me she really needed Thurs, Fri and Saturday. I said I guess you should have rented them.

If I had the clients to make the rent, I would rent for the whole week, whether I used it or now. I called the owner and nicely said, your salon....please deal with it. I have a lease. Although these events would give me the right to break it if I had to, but don't want to. I am not sure how this is going to work! I want my own place!!! Am I being unreasonable? Ugh! Thanks for letting me vent! I already have a first job I have to take orders with.

Angela
Angela
Angel
 Reply
#27
Gina in NC, please email me your location if you don't mind. Thanks.
[email protected]
Always be kind....you get farther.
 Reply
#28
Tn Nail Lady :
> Gina in NC, please email me your location if you don't mind. Thanks.
> [email protected]

Are you interested in services?
Gina, nail tech. NC
 Reply
#29
nailtechNC28117: I would like to see pics of your salon when you get it the way you like. I have to live vicariously through others LOL. Big Grin
 Reply
#30
Of coarse! Lol I do too. It will be prob a month or so before it all is done but as soon as it is I will post pics Wink
Gina, nail tech. NC
 Reply
#31
Just wanting to know if we might be neighbors... I do sometimes get info on referrals. I have clients that travel to eastern NC quite a bit to visit family.
Always be kind....you get farther.
 Reply
#32
nailtechNC28117 :

>...however since you seem so concerned over my business...I don't know why you seem so concerned over my business, I think I know better
> than you what is good for me Wink

Wow. I'm sorry I even asked. If you don't want people asking questions about your business, then don't put it out there on a public board, keep your business to yourself. I merely asked questions, never told you what you should or shouldn't do. We had a couple of salons in the area, have similar situations to yours that took different turns, which is why I asked how that was working our for you.
 Reply
#33
anointdhndz :
> Pham--you are sooooooo funny!!!
>
> Do you just sit back and laugh at us crazy, hormonal women all day?? shaking
> your head thinkin we are all nuts??
>
> You always have the grace to chime in right when needed. What a wise, wise
> man you are. Smile

lol if I was a wise man, I'd have stay away from some of these threads.

No I don't think you all nuts, but I do think that if they want a good reality show they should have a select few members of BT in one room with alcohol/cool aid...... and those up some nail top picks, they will get one hail of a show :lol:
J Pham
No boundaries, just possibility.

http://www.facebook.com/jphamfb
 Reply
#34
Still want to work there, still love it. Still don't care about the haters. Not here to make fun of anyone, nor to make anyone feel like they can't like what they like, or want what they want. Ahahaha, ahahaha.. Yup.
 Reply
#35
I originally looked at this place as a potential Spot to start my Career at because I live here in L.A.

I read the Yelp Reviews, saw the replies that the Owner had sent to her "critics" etc.

And, I'm into the 3rd Epi her on TV Guide.

When this woman isn't laughing and acting goofy, she's a hot, crying mess. I'm sorry, but I come from Corporate America and let me tell you, that behaviour didn't fly, and when I open my own Salon, I won't be an emotional roller-coaster like her.

Sure, the Techs are probably walking away with at least 3 bills a day, but I will be frank when I say this: Professionalism Trumps All and I am sorely disappointed with her yelling, river of tears, cussing on-came, etc...

Yeah, I'm not tossing her my Resume.

Ever. :/
 Reply
#36
The beauty of our industry at least for me is IT ISN'T CORPORATE AMERICA! This thread was simply to look at the fun side of the show. Not to break it down into the technicalities of the way she runs her business and how much more professional she needs to be. I for one am a huge fan and appreciate the vulnerabilities she shows with her emotions. As a business owner it's nice to see I'm not alone with a rollercoaster of emotions. Also as mentioned before she doesn't act unprofessional in front of clients but more at home, behind closed doors, and around staff/friends. Seems to me the woman has a pretty successful business going! She is making bank with her salon and is on tv every tue! People can say what they want but it's amazing how negative people become to others who have a little success in their lives!
Gina, nail tech. NC
 Reply
#37
Since its supposed to follow the real events of this COMEDIAN gone salon owner I doubt she will feel the need to fake her way throughout her life outside the client eye.
She is on a reality show after all. She isn't doing multi million dollar mergers. Are y'all saying you don't cry when you get upset? Never yell? Never laugh? Give me a break. So Katie is being criticized for her human nature by so many people on the forum? None of that has anything to do with how she would behave in front of the average client. Her clients are not average by the way. They are celebrities and we see their real behavior too. Its real. Not fake yes sir no sir, golly gee sir. I am never going to get in board with someone who says "do it like I would, or your wrong". This world has enough micromanaging attempts on other people in general. We should never have a say on how someone lives when they are not hurting another. She is certainly not hurting anyone. Why do we all want to be so judgemental? Nothing personal guys.
 Reply
#38
sobeit :
> Since its supposed to follow the real events of this COMEDIAN gone salon owner
> I doubt she will feel the need to fake her way throughout her life outside
> the client eye.
> She is on a reality show after all. She isn't doing multi million dollar
> mergers. Are y'all saying you don't cry when you get upset? Never yell? Never
> laugh? Give me a break. So Katie is being criticized for her human nature by
> so many people on the forum? None of that has anything to do with how she would
> behave in front of the average client. Her clients are not average by the way.
> They are celebrities and we see their real behavior too. Its real. Not fake
> yes sir no sir, golly gee sir. I am never going to get in board with someone
> who says "do it like I would, or your wrong". This world has enough micromanaging
> attempts on other people in general. We should never have a say on how someone
> lives when they are not hurting another. She is certainly not hurting anyone.
> Why do we all want to be so judgemental? Nothing personal guys.


***

Just like you guys have an Opinion, so do I. And I stand by the Golden Rule: There's a Time and a Place for Everything. Good for her for being herself, but I would never make myself that messy on-cam or act that way out in the public eye in front of my customers. I stand by my ethics and business code as well as professional code of conduct; just because I'm now in this Industry doesn't give mer the right to choose to have a sh*t-fit everytime stuff goes wrong; you should leave that stuff at the door, and any employee that would act like that in "My House" would be given a very glowing reference with which to find alternate Employment!

Good for her...quick; somebody get her a *&^%$ Xanax!!
 Reply
#39
I totally get what your saying and where your coming from. The thing is I started this thread about how I like the place and what I like about it. I also stated it was not an opening to tell me that my likes are taboo. That's what the other anti painted nail threads are for. This one is not for bashing the salon, her "break downs" and so on. It's fine to feel like she represents us ALL and you don't like that image, but she doesn't. I represent me. And I can see the humor and fun in the place, or I wouldn't have started this thread.
 Reply
#40
erindoesnails :
> I originally looked at this place as a potential Spot to start my Career at
> because I live here in L.A.
>
> I read the Yelp Reviews, saw the replies that the Owner had sent to her "critics"
> etc.
>
> And, I'm into the 3rd Epi her on TV Guide.
>
> When this woman isn't laughing and acting goofy, she's a hot, crying mess.
> I'm sorry, but I come from Corporate America and let me tell you, that behaviour
> didn't fly, and when I open my own Salon, I won't be an emotional roller-coaster
> like her.
>
> Sure, the Techs are probably walking away with at least 3 bills a day, but
> I will be frank when I say this: Professionalism Trumps All and I am sorely
> disappointed with her yelling, river of tears, cussing on-came, etc...
>
> Yeah, I'm not tossing her my Resume.
>
> Ever. :/

$300 a day? If I could make that I would probably take the job- I might even let her hit on me for that kind of money! Granted, cost of living is higher, but still. If you read reviews and decided not to go forth, you are a better woman than I am, lemme tell you. I read the yelp reviews and LMAO @ "If I bought a party hotdog..."

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-painted-nail-sherman-oaks
 Reply
#41
LOL in a serious way about the poor reviews, I agree and to me they clearly come from clients who know nothing about nail salons. One complained that she uses the house brand polish "nubar" instead of OPI.. Pfft. If they only knew. Haha.you can get OPI in the grocery that doesn't make it better. And one complained that the pedicure tub had to be brought to her chair? Well duh, how else is it supposed to appear, by magic? I just love the whining about the cost being twice that of regular nail salons? Meaning cheap a$$ discount places. Well of course they are more. It's laughable the complaints. All in all there are under 50 reviews so far. Only 50 and the average is 3 stars. Making it more pleasant than not.
 Reply
#42
Sobeit - it wasn't the comments that were made by the clients that were offputting to Erindoesnails and myself. It was Katie's response to those clients. Owning a salon myself, I know that you can't please 100% of the clients 100% of the time and you are going to have people that complain no matter what you do, however, the way that Katie responds to those people is absurd.

The great thing about TV is that there is something for everyone and to each their own. You get to watch her show and really enjoy it, while I choose not to. But I did want to clear up the fact that it is her behaviour that offends me and the reasons why - it was never due to the fact that she has clients who complain and especially clients who complain about ridiculous things.
 Reply
#43
sobeit :
> Still want to work there, still love it. Still don't care about the haters.
> Not here to make fun of anyone, nor to make anyone feel like they can't like
> what they like, or want what they want. Ahahaha, ahahaha.. Yup.
Big Grin
 Reply
#44
Sobeit I'll work there with you and we can be "crude, unprofessionals" together, but at least we will be having fun!!! For the record I don't think she is crude and unprofessional but I dont enjoy beating a dead horse since that argument has already been stated. I thInk people just need to lighten up a little bit! It seems people take things so dang serious around here. Yes everyone is entitled to their opinions but sometimes it just makes more sense to say to some one else's opinion, "hey that's cool, have fun with that" even if you might not agree. It just seems to get so argumentative all the time and hateful! It really keeps people from wanting to say anything for fear some one may jump down your throat about it.
Gina, nail tech. NC
 Reply
#45
One more thing, I think people are giving WAY to much thought about a TV guide channel reality television show! It's ENERTAINMENT, that's the name of the game! Over the top, drama infested, entertainment. That's it!!!! She can run her biz any way she wants to she the owner and is she wrong for that HECK NO!!! Hooray for her she got her own tv show! I think thats super cool! If your not into that, I respect that as well but I'm not going to bash on anyone for not agreeing!
Gina, nail tech. NC
 Reply
#46
sobeit :
> I totally get what your saying and where your coming from. The thing is I started
> this thread about how I like the place and what I like about it. I also stated
> it was not an opening to tell me that my likes are taboo. That's what the other
> anti painted nail threads are for. This one is not for bashing the salon, her
> "break downs" and so on. It's fine to feel like she represents us ALL and you
> don't like that image, but she doesn't. I represent me. And I can see the humor
> and fun in the place, or I wouldn't have started this thread.

**

Well, there is big $ here in LA, I consider myself lucky Footie. And nope, I don't want to fight. Smile
 Reply
#47
Erin, you should come work with me for a year. LOL Like I mentioned in another thread, my salon is sooo wonderful and drama free, full of professional woman we all dream of. The owner is an older German man who still cuts hair at his young age of 75. We help each other and you would love it. BUT it can be super boring to work with such reserved women all the same. Not much laughing going on, all day, unless it comes from my table, and then they love to join in, I am told every time I walk in that I bring a certain feel they all love for the day. I will joke about why I still don't have a hot vampire in my closet at home. They call me eccentric, hahaha and they think I am the life of the party. One boring party LOL.. I just crave more silliness in the work place. I do not crave unprofessional treatment of clients or coworkers. Shoot even when a client is upset and there is an issue we all hear the client upset about whatever it could have been. NO ONE ever talks bad when that client leaves, we just move on with our day.

Example of what I miss. We had the most fantastic gay man working with us a few years back. He would put his cape on backward and "fly" around the salon when it was slow. He would make jokes. Tell everyone how beautiful they are. Be a comedian. Would he do a booty clap? Of course, when it was just us or a few clients we KNOW would laugh about it. This is what I want. Some dang fun in my day. That's all.

I am no longer going to state what I like or want after this last reply, I just feel like no one is understanding what I am saying. I don't want to be misunderstood that you think I want to walk around dropping F bombs, and making clients uncomfortable. The opposite is what I want. To make them have a remarkable time and the best nail care possible.

The Yelp deal. Yes I believe some of the complaints are from people who don't know what other salons run like. Yes I believe some of the good reviews may be from staff to turn down the heat. And yes I think its is terrible to contact a client back with the intent to blame them for the poor experience. That is all terrible behavior.
 Reply
#48
sobeit :
> Erin, you should come work with me for a year. LOL Like I mentioned in another
> thread, my salon is sooo wonderful and drama free, full of professional woman
> we all dream of. The owner is an older German man who still cuts hair at his
> young age of 75. We help each other and you would love it. BUT it can be super
> boring to work with such reserved women all the same. Not much laughing going
> on, all day, unless it comes from my table, and then they love to join in,
> I am told every time I walk in that I bring a certain feel they all love for
> the day. I will joke about why I still don't have a hot vampire in my closet
> at home. They call me eccentric, hahaha and they think I am the life of the
> party. One boring party LOL.. I just crave more silliness in the work place.
> I do not crave unprofessional treatment of clients or coworkers. Shoot even
> when a client is upset and there is an issue we all hear the client upset about
> whatever it could have been. NO ONE ever talks bad when that client leaves,
> we just move on with our day.
>
> Example of what I miss. We had the most fantastic gay man working with us
> a few years back. He would put his cape on backward and "fly" around the salon
> when it was slow. He would make jokes. Tell everyone how beautiful they are.
> Be a comedian. Would he do a booty clap? Of course, when it was just us or
> a few clients we KNOW would laugh about it. This is what I want. Some dang
> fun in my day. That's all.
>
> I am no longer going to state what I like or want after this last reply, I
> just feel like no one is understanding what I am saying. I don't want to be
> misunderstood that you think I want to walk around dropping F bombs, and making
> clients uncomfortable. The opposite is what I want. To make them have a remarkable
> time and the best nail care possible.
>
> The Yelp deal. Yes I believe some of the complaints are from people who don't
> know what other salons run like. Yes I believe some of the good reviews may
> be from staff to turn down the heat. And yes I think its is terrible to contact
> a client back with the intent to blame them for the poor experience. That is
> all terrible behavior.


**
Amen. It's mostly the Yelp stuff that upsets me so much, the way she's handled it. I actually do like to laugh, joke around, I just don't cuss/cry in front of clients, is all, I leave that for when I'm at home (or out with friends enjoying a glass of wine). I believe their SHOULD be fun and laughter at work, absolutely, just a lil' decorum n' class. Tongue

If it were possible, I'd love to work with you. You never know where Life will take ya, who knows...
 Reply
#49
So rig, I'm picking up what your putting down Wink trust me, I'm all over it and agree 100%. Sometimes it's just not worth arguing though cause others don't quite get it or disagree so strongly they refuse to understand. We can continue being Katie lovers and live in our happy little worlds and well the others can live in theirs in perfect harmony Smile
Gina, nail tech. NC
 Reply
#50
Yup. Katie's approach works for some, doesn't work for others. I'm glad she's seen these Threads, it's good to know what Nail Techs think. I love criticism, it helps me grow personally and professionally, as should it for everyone out there in this fabulous Industry.
 Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 8
Views: 5,692
02-23-2012, 04:46 AM
Last Postwendynailart
Replies: 11
Views: 7,675
11-22-2011, 06:34 AM
Last PostBob
sobeit
Replies: 15
Views: 11,567
10-18-2011, 06:54 PM
Last Postsobeit
sobeit
Replies: 24
Views: 19,035
10-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Last Postsobeit
sobeit
Replies: 30
Views: 21,580
08-27-2011, 04:34 PM
Last Posterindoesnails

 
Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)