You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does this still happen to you??!
I had a client today who had just gone camping and had dirt under every toenail and chipped nails and to BOOT, she has VERY deep sidewalls/grooves. When it came time to polish, I got it on her skin wayyy more than I normally do. Even when you're experienced, does this still happen to you? Any tips for VERY deep side walls? Thanks!!
Yes it does still happen, though infrequently now. Smile But for those really deep sidewalls, frankly, I don't try to polish down that far. The skin will only stick to it and cause smudges. So I try to make the sides look flawless, and cover over as far as I can without going down into the valley. You sometimes have to explain to the client why it has to be that way.

But when a client comes to me that dirty? UGH. We are not here to perform personal hygiene tasks. That is just disgusting. I hand them a nail brush and send them to the sink!

And OH, I just noticed you were talking about her FEET. Which, IMO, is just as bad, if not worse, because you know she was thinking "well, I'm getting a pedi, so I'll let the nail girl clean them up." UGH UGH UGH!!!

Yeah, so deep sidewalls on toes are easier to fudge because the client can't usually see her toes as good. So stay away from the sidewalls as much as possible, keeping the lines as straight and clean as you can. As I like to say "I'm a nail tech, not a magician!"
Elyse in WA
http://www.elysiumnailstudio.com
The Nail Princess is in.
No...my problem area is gluing on tips crooked. I work fast and I always have to remind myself to take a deep breath and slow down when I'm at that stage.

I agree about the side walls you don't have to go all the way down in there.
Nice! Sometimes you just want to be soooo perfect and you can't be. It wasn't so much that she was dirty, she wasn't...but the dirt from camping really got wedged down in the side walls and I didn't have a good tool to clean it out that deep without hurting her. I need a curette! I need a lot, lol, but thanks for the polish tip. Now I know it's ok to just polish the part of the nail that is on top. SOOOOO easy now 8)
Oh, I had that happen to me today.

SUPER deep side walls on the big toes and the orange wood stick AND a french brush w/acetone still didn't get it all out.

Essie's Wicked...gahhhhh!!!

Just pinch the folds back as much as you can, but you simply have to leave a margin, like 1/8" or 1/16" if you can. Make sure your polish is thin on your brush, and slowly, and I mean slowly, paint a very straight line down to the free edge. I did that on the 2nd toe and it looked almost perfect. Sure, my OCD kicked-in and I was a little privately 'mad' at myself for not being able to cover that side wall fully, but it would've sunk into the fold and well..I'd be back at it, trying to fix things.
I use a very thin and flat paint brush and dip it in acetone to clean up polish that I've gotten on the skin? The flatness of the brush helps to get down in those sidewalls.

Dirt is gross, which is why I personally clean my own nails before I go for a pedicure. I don't want anyone thinking I'm a slob!
I am a "deep sidewall" client lol! In my family we have fast growing hair & nails and our nails tend to have an extreme curve. My Korean friends would say it was "hard to get around that meat" hehe.
~~Kristy~~
For deep sidewalls, an orangewood stick or similar tool is your best friend.
ColleenNY :
> I use a very thin and flat paint brush and dip it in acetone to clean up polish
> that I've gotten on the skin? The flatness of the brush helps to get down in
> those sidewalls.
>
> Dirt is gross, which is why I personally clean my own nails before I go for
> a pedicure. I don't want anyone thinking I'm a slob!

Hmm...thanks, I'm gonna try that! Smile
Agreed, it's no harm to leave a margin and not paint right into the depths. Nobody can see in there anyway! And it is easier to leave the very margin than to deal with mess and cleanup for no gain.
That's what I do although my OCD kinda kicks in. Just seeing that hairline unpolished margin sure bugs me. :/