You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
BeautyTech.com

BeautyTech Main PageBeautyTech Main Page        BeautyTech ForumsBeautyTech Forums        Beautytech ShoppeBeautyTech Shoppe        CalendarVisit Nailtech.com        Like us on Facebook        Follow us on Twitter        Find us on Pinterest        View our videos on YouTube       
click THIS... win STUFF...click THIS... win STUFF...        SponsorsSponsors        NT Mailing List SponsorsNT Mailing List Sponsors        SearchFREE Salon Locator Listing        LINDLI Network Day       
FAQFAQ        ContactContact        SearchShoppe Search        SearchForum Search        Make Homepage

BeautyTech Dedicated to Educate and Decorate BeautyTech Home

BeautyTech Sponsors SPONSORS
BeautyTech Sponsors NT Mailing List Sponsors

CONTESTS
BeautyTech click THIS... win STUFF... click THIS/win STUFF
BeautyTech Strut Your STUFF Competition Strut Your Stuff

SHOPPING
BeautyTech Shoppe BeautyTech Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Swap & Shop
BeautyTech Shoppe Salon Posters
BeautyTech Shoppe Milady Publications
BeautyTech Shoppe NailTech Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Empower NailArt
BeautyTech Shoppe EZ Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Odyssey Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Valentino Air Filter
BeautyTech Shoppe Star Nail International
BeautyTech Shoppe Cuccio Naturale
BeautyTech Shoppe Cinapro Nail Art
BeautyTech Shoppe HairCentral

NETWORK
NailTech Connect @ BeautyTech Forums NailTech Connect
BeautyTech Forums Message Boards
NailTech Mailing list @ Google Groups Mailing List
BeautyTech Network Events Network Events

TOOLS
BeautyTech Search Shoppe Shoppe Search
BeautyTech Search Forum Forum Search
Search Business Builders
BeautyTech Professional Licensing Links Licensing Info
BeautyTech Calendar Calendar
BeautyTech.INFO FREE Salon Listing FREE Salon Listing
BeautyTech Photo Gallery Photo Gallery

EVERYTHING ELSE
Advertise @ BeautyTech Advertise
BeautyTech Contact Contact Us
BeautyTech Privacy Policy Privacy Policy

STAY INFORMED

ADVERTISEMENT

FEATURED AD

NailTech.com - Star Nail International, Odyddey Nail, HairCentral, Empower Nail Art

Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Stories from Job-Hunting Land!
07-12-2011, 09:06 PM
 (Print Post)
Stories from Job-Hunting Land!
OKay, so...

I wanted to report back where I'm at in my Journeys looking for a brand new Salon to work at. Smile

I've prided myself in the desire to be really cautious, listening to my "inner voice" when picking the right place to work..(turns out there's some Trolls out there under that big Nail Bridge...and I had nooo idea, LOL!!!) (yikes!)

Here's what's happened so far:

#1). I have an Interview this Friday for a high-volume natural nail Place that's unfortunately, 30 miles from my House. But, they're super-busy and need help! I've been in touch with them on and off for a month so it seems it's pretty much a "go", I just need to show up. Smile

#2). The second Interview I have is next Tuesday, and listen to THIS: They're adding a whole Nail Department to the back of the Salon that they're in. It's located in a GREAT, affluent Area, and they're looking for someone to help them design the Area as well as help with Marketing Strategies; they want to hire a whole Team with me as Director (potentially) to train everyone. Their focus is on natural and gel nails (which thankfully I can do already, I took to them like water in School).

Thing is on #2, is that I would HAVE to moonlight at another Salon, because they don't have a nail clientele...yet. Although after building in the Nail Area and hiring a Team, they intend to Groupon/Living Social etc., plus local community marketing. Smile

#3). The third, I was supposed to go meet another Potential Boss this next Tuesday as well BUT I turned her down and here's why:

-She advertised Commission but insisted I start paying "progressive booth rent" where she would raise the rent at intervals throughout the year as the business got busier and said the raise would be up to her discretion as needed ongoing and whenever she felt the need to raise it! O.o
-She didn't "understand" that I wanted to go out of Town this weekend and told me she wasn't happy, that she wanted to interview me immediately (and got really, and I mean really, snotty on the phone).
-She wanted me to do acrylics, I do gels.
-She complained that her only Nail Tech at the time is pregnant, and said she had talked to her stylists at the Salon to see if they knew any Techs, and some of the stylists said yes...but then she said "well, you know, they haven't heard back from them, you know HARD it is to get ahold of Nail Techs" (UGH!!)
-She "bished" on the phone that I was really putting her out for wanting to go out of town.

So, I politely told #3 no thanks, but good luck in her future Endeavors.

So, guys, what do you think? Obviously I'm in the beginning Stages of my Journey.

Even tho' the commute will kill me, #1 to me seems a solid safe Bet whilst I work on #2 to see if that Owner's heart and business "mind" are in the right place (they both have hinted I have the Jobs).

And since non-compete laws aren't enforceable in Cali (I checked into the bylaws), looks like I am good, I can work at both places (besides, they're over 20 miles apart, LOL)...

I'm going to continue to share my Journey here as it unfolds...Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2011, 11:04 PM
 (Print Post)

Hi Erin,

I opened a salon 26 miles from my house, so I completely understand the drive. Depending on traffic, I could be there in about 35 minutes, while the drive home always took longer, but I never regretted it once. It was a great location and we had fabulous clients.

Lucky for me, my new salon is literally 5 minutes from home and I don't miss the drive, but as I said, it was a great location and we did really well there.

If salon #1 is as busy as they say it is, I say give it a go, what have you got to lose? Sounds like you can start right away and that way you can find out if it's a fit for you or not. Since the #2 salon hasn't even built the new nail department yet and they have no clientelle for that, it sounds like it will be a while before they are up and running. Which to me, means you have time to find out if you like salon #1 and go from there. If it's not a fit, well, that may make the decision for you.

Good luck Erin!!
07-12-2011, 11:18 PM
 (Print Post)

Sherrie90630 :
> Hi Erin,
>
> I opened a salon 26 miles from my house, so I completely understand the drive.
> Depending on traffic, I could be there in about 35 minutes, while the drive
> home always took longer, but I never regretted it once. It was a great location
> and we had fabulous clients.
>
> Lucky for me, my new salon is literally 5 minutes from home and I don't miss
> the drive, but as I said, it was a great location and we did really well there.
>
>
> If salon #1 is as busy as they say it is, I say give it a go, what have you
> got to lose? Sounds like you can start right away and that way you can find
> out if it's a fit for you or not. Since the #2 salon hasn't even built the
> new nail department yet and they have no clientelle for that, it sounds like
> it will be a while before they are up and running. Which to me, means you
> have time to find out if you like salon #1 and go from there. If it's not
> a fit, well, that may make the decision for you.
>
> Good luck Erin!!

Thanks, that's what I was thinking...that I could basically start at #1 for a few months while helping with Business Strategy for #2 on the side (all whilst earning a living which is imperative in SUCH an expensive Town). And #1 is right on the Beach too, I'm looking forward to the mid and late Summer sunsets. Smile

I'll keep you all updated as it goes of course!
07-14-2011, 12:45 AM
 (Print Post)

Just curious....is salon #1 in the South Bay? If you'd rather not say, no worries. I was just wondering since that is where my other salon was.
07-14-2011, 02:25 PM
 (Print Post)

Yes it is. Smile

Two of the busiest Salons I've found so far, are located in that Area; I'm sure you know their names.

There are others that are very busy in downtown L.A....but I'm afraid that's too large of a commute for me unfortunately.

I'd like to not say, exactly, where it is or what the name of the Salon is, out of respect for the Owner and staff of course. If I do get hired, which I'm hoping that I do, if the Owner allows me to "announce" on my Nails Website that I'm building where I work and here online, then yes, definitely, I'll say where it is proudly. Smile

Wish me luck, the interview is tomorrow!

I'm so excited I doubt I'll sleep...I'm so proud they're even considering me at all fresh out of School!!

If you don't mind me asking, do you still own your old Salon, or did you sell to open a new ne where you live?
07-14-2011, 05:17 PM
 (Print Post)
Just a lil' venting!
*Edited:

I wanted to delete what I had written here but saw that I couldn't.

Basically I had been venting about the way someone had handled me declining the offer to work with them, when I couldn't offer them or give them what they wanted....when maybe I shouldn't have. Smile

But I think it's best to reflect, move on, and continue my Search. Smile
07-14-2011, 11:16 PM
 (Print Post)

Hi Erin,

If you send me your email address (or I can give you mine) we can communicate easier that way. A lot happened at my old salon that I would rather not put out there for the public to see.

And yes, I'm fairly sure I know where you will be working. There are 2 actually and I have a friend who worked at one of them, so I may be able to give you some insight if you'd like. If not, no worries.

You can reach me at oakstgang4@aol.com. That's my personal email.

I'm sure you will do great on your interview. Just be yourself and to tell you the truth, I prefer to hire "newbies" just out of school. The owner of the salon may feel the same way as I do. I'll explain more in my email! : )
07-15-2011, 10:11 AM
 (Print Post)

I'll give you my email too, we can converse more easily there, you're right.

erindoesnails@gmail.com

I'd love to hear your advice/feedback..I'll let you know later today how it went privately.

Thanks!
07-15-2011, 04:23 PM
 (Print Post)

Sherrie, sending you an email now. I was offered a Job but I do have some questions and concerns.

Thanks! Smile
07-16-2011, 02:50 PM
 (Print Post)

Okay so...I was offered a Job with a very low commission rate so I think I'm going to continue to look around...I don't want to say where it was out of respect here, so the Hunt continues!!! Smile
07-16-2011, 08:16 PM
 (Print Post)

Good for you for running fast from #3. You sound so excited and I am even excited to hear about your journey. I remember you coming here asking for advice on job searching, and how here you are with interviews, job offers, and everything! Thank you for taking us on your journey with you!

I really can't give an opinion about #1 or #2. There are so many complex things that influence us to take one job over the other. Just rest assured that even if the choice does not work out, there are plenty of other places out there for you to explore. The world is your oyster.
07-16-2011, 08:52 PM
 (Print Post)

Footie :
> Good for you for running fast from #3. You sound so excited and I am even excited
> to hear about your journey. I remember you coming here asking for advice on
> job searching, and how here you are with interviews, job offers, and everything!
> Thank you for taking us on your journey with you!
>
> I really can't give an opinion about #1 or #2. There are so many complex things
> that influence us to take one job over the other. Just rest assured that even
> if the choice does not work out, there are plenty of other places out there
> for you to explore. The world is your oyster.

Thanks; I'll keep the Journey going. After I get set up officially I think I'll do a Blog, too, talking about my Journey into this wonderful Field. Smile
07-18-2011, 03:12 PM
 (Print Post)
Not a Bump, More Interviews Coming In!
OKay, so, to continue, I have the Interview at the Hair Salon tomorrow with the Owner that wants to build in a dedicated Spa Area/Grotto in her back patio/break area. She's looking for someone to consult with her, help her pick product lines etc. and to eventually help hire a Team when she's ready. I know the opportunity is HUGE and obvi I want to guide the Owner gently and with "love" that I want this to be her baby, her vision, but wow...what and experience just to see this done because this is my Dream..I want my own Shop hopefully w/in the next 5+ years time....

The way I look at that, is that I'd be good to go to work there a few weeks out from the build-in just to help her hire a team and we could get set up in the Area and get ready for a marketing/etc. I did talk to her that that was what I'd be comfortable with and she understood..I kinda need to moonlight someplace else that's established for awhile to make a base income so that I have something coming in.

Also, I just got a text from another Salon asking me to come in to interview so I'm 'texting back' (?) trying to see if something will work out.

And that's all I got for now. Smile
07-19-2011, 02:03 PM
 (Print Post)

Update: Interview tomorrow at a very nice and well-known establishment that's WAY closer!!!

Let's hope this goes well!
07-19-2011, 02:18 PM
 (Print Post)

Good luck on whatever you decide. Reading your posts re-energizes my love for this business.

Always be kind....you get farther.
07-19-2011, 02:28 PM
 (Print Post)

Thanks!
07-20-2011, 08:36 PM
 (Print Post)
50% is NOT the Holy Grail!!!
OKay guys...I am officially employed!!!

And my cut is 50%. Tongue

I start next Saturday....woot!!
07-20-2011, 10:21 PM
 (Print Post)

(Doing happy dance with you) Go Erin, Go Erin!!

Always be kind....you get farther.
07-21-2011, 12:33 AM
 (Print Post)

I'm going to start a Blog to keep this going and chart my progress.

Watch this Space! Smile
07-21-2011, 04:15 PM
 (Print Post)

Wow! I'm also excited for you! I praying much success for you and your career (and addiction Big Grin ) in nails. Keep us up on your journey!

Martine M.
SUNFLOWER
07-21-2011, 07:12 PM
 (Print Post)

Sunflower402 :
> Wow! I'm also excited for you! I praying much success for you and your career
> (and addiction Big Grin ) in nails. Keep us up on your journey!

Thanks! I'm going to set up a Blog and keep it going, I'll update when it's up and running. Tongue
07-22-2011, 06:57 AM
 (Print Post)

Congratulations! Can't wait to read about it Smile

Laura Merzetti
http://www.scratchmyback.ca
CND Education Ambassador
Toronto, Ontario Canada
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Need personal stories for a NAILPRO article! MelisaW 0 403 07-17-2013 10:57 AM
Last Post: MelisaW
  Share your stories and opinions! mpratt 0 656 05-10-2012 06:42 AM
Last Post: mpratt
  Seeking best/worst client stories smills 16 4,683 07-29-2011 11:25 PM
Last Post: *nailnazi*