You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shellac Problems
Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) is not acetone, only in the same family of chemicals.
MEK is much more toxic than acetone, and it takes off polish less efficiently due to its chemical makeup.
I don't recommend using MEK in a nail salon.
JanMc
Live and Learn - life is too short to stay the same
I went to sally's today and all they had was Beauty Secrets Cleansing Alcohol which was 70% Sad . I've found that 90% is suitable for wiping off the sticky layer. I may just do as others have suggested and use acetone to dehydrate the nail when my nsi pure plus runs out, and 90% for wiping.
A side note my mom's friend uses 99% in her print shop. (I used to work there in high school) And it comes in a half gallon metal jug. I never thought of asking her to order me some. I'm not about to pay more in shipping than the item itself cost ordering online.
Just a note, I use Sallys 70% cleaning alcohol for wiping my tacky layer. It smells like cherries and it leaves a high shine. It works for me and my clients love the scent.
sobeit :
> Just a note, I use Sallys 70% cleaning alcohol for wiping my tacky layer. It
> smells like cherries and it leaves a high shine. It works for me and my clients
> love the scent.
O.K. thanks for the info
Quote:Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) is not acetone, only in the same family of chemicals.
MEK is much more toxic than acetone, and it takes off polish less efficiently due to its chemical makeup.
I don't recommend using MEK in a nail salon.
Its unavoidable......MEK is in lots of things such as non-acetone removers, nail preps,thinners even in some polishes and topcoats... I have been studying ingredients for 15 years and have also been in the field for that time so I do have some experience to back up my statement.
Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Jennifer
Acrylic & Gel Tech Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
jimsjadab :
> I may just do as others have suggested and use acetone to dehydrate
> the nail when my nsi pure plus runs out, and 90% for wiping.
>

There isn't a need to use two different products when 90% alcohol will work for both. That's all I use and I have no problems.
Quote:Just a note, I use Sallys 70% cleaning alcohol for wiping my tacky layer. It smells like cherries and it leaves a high shine. It works for me and my clients love the scent.

Great tip sobeit........and ironic because I also have been using 70% and it works perfect on sogp & hard gels...much easier to get than the elusive 99%
Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Jennifer
Acrylic & Gel Tech Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
I have 91% from walgreens at home, at work I just love the smell of the cherry cleansing alcohol and it works so well. I know my Sallys doesn't carry anything higher. NSI cleanse smells like grape candy. Big Grin
TNG, or the industry source http://www.theindustrysource.com sells 99% alcohol.
Creative Nail Design Master Nail Tech
Entity Advantage Member #74594
DivaNailz :
> TNG, or the industry source http://www.theindustrysource.com sells 99% alcohol.

And you can get it at any drugstore, you just have to order it at the pharmacist counter. You also want to make sure not to use any less percentage alcohol to prep the nail prior to application of any gel product. It has too much water content and your gel will lift.
I'm thinking I get my 99% alcohol at premiere nail. Works perfect for me.
Licensed Cosmetologist
Practicing Nail Tech
[email protected]
A user of T.E.N. Gel and Young Nail Acrylic.
@kkgunn you can use 99%IPA to make meth and bombs that's why we have to ask for it now Wink
Holly L Schippers
CND Education Ambassador

FingerNailFixer on Facebook
FingerNailFixer on YouTube

"There are no failures - just experiences and your reactions to them." - Tom Krause
Nail Raising :
> CJWH :
>> Everclear IS liquor, and I used to be able to find 99% alcohol all the time
>> at the drug store however no one has had anything higher than 70% and I know
>> that will not do the trick. That is why I went to the liquor store to purchase
>> Everclear...it is easy to get and they always have it.
>
>
>
>
> This is hilarious. They are two different alcohols.
> considering to what you wrote isopropyl alcohol is the one that why as nail technician must use?i'm a bit confused of the terms and i need some help to see what kind of alcohol i have to use.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IPA-ISOPROPYL-ALCOHOL-ISOPROPANOL-500ml-min-99-pure-/320434307193?pt=UK_BOI_Medical_Lab_Equipment_Lab_Supplies_ET&hash=item4a9b5f8079#ht_1182wt_952 would that alcohol do my work?
>
>
> Isopropyl alcohol is a propanol, or 3-carbon alcohol with the OH on the middle
> carbon. It is commonly called rubbing alcohol, and is somewhat poisonous. Doctors
> use isopropyl alcohol to cleanse/sterilize the skin before hypodermic injection,
> and it is rubbed on as 'rubbing alcohol'. It can also be used to cool someone
> by rubbing it on and letting it evaporate.
>
> Ethanol is 2-carbon alcohol, and called grain alcohol because it is usually
> made by fermentation of grains. You can also ferment other starches, or sugars,
> to obtain ethanol. It is the name for what people commonly call 'alcohol'.
>
>
> Methanol is 1-carbon alcohol, and called wood alcohol because it can be extracted
> when wood is heated to give off gases, including gaseous methanol, which can
> then be precipitated out as a liquid.
>
> Denatured alcohol is ethanol to which a poison has been added that makes one
> sick if one drinks the denatured alcohol; oftentimes the poison is a propanol,
> or formerly methanol. I believe they no longer use methanol because too many
> people drank denatured alcohol anyway in spite of the denaturing, to get drunk,
> but also got blind from the methanol.
well i don;t know what i have done wrong here but i wanted to ask about the kind of alcohol i can use to prep the nails.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IPA-ISOPROPYL-...1182wt_952

is the above alcohol type appropriate for nail prep?also can it be used for shellac?
BTW, methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) aka butanone CH3C(O)CH2CH3 is NOT acetone (CH3)2CO. Butyl acetate C6H12O2 and other solvents each have their own chemical formulas, properties and primary uses.
Jaime Schrabeck, Ph.D. (yes, it's real)
http://www.precisionnails.com
http://shop.precisionnails.com
I can still buy 99% alcohol at my beauty supplier here. It is also available in the drugstore, but it's a lot more expensive. Hmm, guess they didn't get the memo, Holly!!
Laura Merzetti
http://www.scratchmyback.ca
CND Education Ambassador
Toronto, Ontario Canada
Another issue could be the bulbs getting bad. Myself and my coworker both started having issues with chipping once our bulbs get down to 40 hours. We both have our own lamps. Not getting to use all the hours on the bulbs is a waste of $ but it definatley can cause chipping or peeling.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 8
Views: 4,774
06-05-2017, 02:21 AM
Last Postcosmobeauty
Replies: 4
Views: 5,814
01-07-2017, 10:31 PM