You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American run salon? Means what to you?
I have seen some ads saying their salon is American Run. What exactly does this mean? English speaking? I don't understand it. Does this imply discount salons are not Americans? Or does it imply that discount techs don't speak english or that if the tech doesn't have perfect English your service will be subpar? To me it's a bit off putting. just curious what others think it means to be an American run salon and how do we know an American citizen?

I don't want this to come off as I think anyone is racist nor imply that. I was just curious what fits the American owned advertisements.
I think, as opposed to asian run... And while I'm sure it appeals to some customers I find that kind of advertising off-putting and a bit appalling as well.

This is a flame war waiting to happen. Smile
Iina (that's a double 'i')
Health & beauty, fitness and nails!
http://www.facebook.com/jazznails
I don't have "American run" on my YP ad but I do have "American Owned". I did that several years ago for two reasons, one was that I was getting numerous calls from people asking if I was "American", two, was because the Asian salon in the Mall was copying my ad nearly word for word. My thought was, "Copy this!" I can't tell you how many times over the years those two words have brought business in to me.
Right after it came out for the first time, I got an anonymous letter telling me I was racist and predjudicial. Since the sender didn't have the guts to leave a # or address so I could address their accusations privately, I composed a reply and put in the Editorial section of our newspaper. The general gist was: Nothing I said was racist or predjudicial. I DID NOT state my ethnicity. I stated my nationality. I was born in America, that makes me American. ANY person born here can say the same, including those of White, Black, Mexican, Oriental or Asian descent.
Those words were not meant to offend, only to give information. If people choose to take offense from them, well, I'm not going to apologize. I don't believe it's offensive to state my nationality.
Thank you Iina and Donna, I appreciate your honesty and what it means to you.
Lets not worry if some of us find it off putting, or if some of us use it, or if some are neutral. I am only asking what that means. And what the purpose is to the client.
If I sought out American owned or run I would be looking for the money to work for Americans. ie made in America, money helps Americans. America is made of immigrants, we cannot tell if they are American based the lack of a foreign accent. Could some be looking for american run or owned based on color, speech, or language becuase I would then have to assume that American means a race. So that's why I was curious to see what the view is from other members.
Not once did I day it was bad to use or that you were bad for using it. I just have a view of it that others may not.

No one is welcome to take this to the level of a flame war. If there isn't a way to answer respectfully then let's just ask Deb to remove the topic. There is no point. And that is not what I am asking.

We want to know a lot of things, and we discuss NSS like they are only Asain run, so in turn I want to know what exactly we view as an American salon.
In agreement with it being 'off-putting'.

Even those that were born elsewhere yet have gotten their citizenship would fall under the heading of American.
Anna
So does that mean when a manufacturing company puts a stamp on their product that says it was made in America that they are being racist?? What does that mean for them? Same difference if you ask me.

And anybody who has their citizenship can also say American Owned, Run, Operated or whatever the heck they want to say. This is a free country with freedom of speech. Just saying!! :wink:
Quote:sobeit :
If I sought out American owned or run I would be looking for the money to work for Americans. ie made in America .
Before I say anything else. No one ever called anyone else racist! And I also said no one is welcome to make this a flame throwing war. If we cannot discuss American owned shops and how they differe then I guess we cannot discuss what we think of any Asian owned salon or how they get linked every time the term NSS is used. Just sayin :wink:
Well, I can't say that I've ever seen a nail salon advertised as "American Run/Owned"...
Just my input:. I've heard from a LOT of people that they dont like going to non-English speaking salons because they feel like 1. they are being talked about and 2. they dont get what they want because nobody can understand them. I can understand why some people would put American Owned on their sign or ad....just so people know that the tech will be able to understand them.
It is also a little off putting to me also. There is a salon where I live that put "Only hand filing" in their ad, I guess that would appeal to some but could also be taken offense to. No offense to Donna, but I wonder how the Asian salon owners feel when they have people calling asking if they are American.
Quote:ColleenNY :
> Just my input:. I've heard from a LOT of people that they dont like going to
> non-English speaking salons because they feel like 1. they are being talked
> about and 2. they dont get what they want because nobody can understand them.
> I can understand why some people would put American Owned on their sign or
> ad....just so people know that the tech will be able to understand them.
This makes sense to me and I can understand it. Thank you.
sobeit :
>
Quote:sobeit :
> If I sought out American owned or run I would be looking for the money to work
> for Americans. ie made in America .
> Before I say anything else. No one ever called anyone else racist! And I also
> said no one is welcome to make this a flame throwing war. If we cannot discuss
> American owned shops and how they differe then I guess we cannot discuss what
> we think of any Asian owned salon or how they get linked every time the term
> NSS is used. Just sayin :wink:

Was this directed to me? If so, you totally misunderstood what I said. I NEVER said anyone called anyone racist. However, Donna made a comment about someone saying she was and you made reference to it also. Nothing I said should of started a flame throwing war unless someone is reading more into what I said than what is written. I asked a question and I gave my opinion.

And I too have heard from lots of people they prefer going to a salon where English is the main form of communication for the same reasons Colleen gave.

Using the terminology of "American Owned or Run" is a marketing tool. It is a way of differentiating yourself from ALL the other nail salons. It's no different than someone saying they service "Authentic Mexican" food or as I stated earlier putting a stamp on products saying "made in the USA". As a matter of fact Good Morning America has been doing a big push about buying ONLY made in America products. Does that make them racist?

I wonder why people are putt off by it? What is their reasoning? And so that no one thinks I'm being argumentative (which I never am) I am just asking out of curiosity and wanting to understand their logic.
I say this...The more businesses that are American owned & operated the better! If they are successful, that is one more step in the right direction for turning this nation around! Absolutely I salute the salons that make this known in their adds. I too have clients tell me on a daily basis, they are glad they found an American tech! They are tired of not being understood, or made to believe they are not understood, tired of feeling like they are being talked about and tired of feeling like they are just a #. In America, we speak English! This is the language they should be speaking. If I went to another country, it would be my responsibility to learn their language, not their responsibility to teach me! It is just plain respect! These clients that choose an American salon are not choosing it because they are racist, but because they themselves want to be treated as they deserve to be! As for the "only hand filing" in the adds, I hate to say it but the NSS shops created this as well. To many people have had severe damage to their nails & cuticles because of improper use of the electric files. I actually have clients call and make sure we hand file only because they are tired of being hurt by the electric files. Now while I know that there are techs out there that have taken classes on this and use them in a very successful & safe manner, These shops have caused the question for concern. So to me, there is a HUGE difference between NSS shops & American salons. Now if these shops would treat their clients well, and speak English we would not have to have this segregation of NSS shops and American salons...They would ALL be American salons!!
I'm with Cheryl, why is it off putting? What if it were "Proud to be an American" ?....you see that all the time, too, but I've yet to hear of anyone saying they find that off putting.
NSS doesnt = Asian, or non English speaking nor does it = discount. It means not operated per that standard of the state requirements of safety sanitation and licensing. English speaking, American born nail techs absolutely can fit in that NSS term. It's not a race term.
Cheryl, I get ya now. It's to let clients know the tech speaks English.
No one can know by looking at a person if they were born here. No one can say another isn't a citizen based on the language or accent. We are made of people from all over.
For me that is why its a bit off putting. Because we are making assumptions now what qualifies as an American. We all know it's not color, gender or language. So it must be that the tech speaks fluent English to the client and or American taught procedures. Due to prior discussions I feel like people are saying "American salon" means "Not Asian". But how does one know those hard working Asian techs are not Americans?
Native Americans might take offense if we imply American means a certain type of person. Since the rest if us came here. Like every other nationality that makes up the USA.
I did know this would be a thought provoking thread, I appreciate the input and opinions of everyone. The intent here was to know what others are thinking and feeling. Not to start an argument. If we cannot talk about these things that make up our own industry, even if they are on the verge of taboo, then I think we should get to the point if being able to.
Absolutely NSS can stand for English speaking salons as well! No one ever said it couldn't. You wanted to know what makes up an American run salon? I said speaking English and treating clients well. NSS stands for non standard salon, that would be just exactly that. If you don't follow the laws, put your clients at risk, and don't speak English, you are a NSS not American no matter what your ethnic background is.
Quote:nailjunky :
So to me, there is a HUGE difference between NSS shops & American salons.
This is what stood out to me and why I put the definition of NSS. Because NSS doesn't mean Asian, and doesn't mean the opposite of American. I just felt like making sure we all knew that.

I appreciate your thoughts and the time you took to share them with us. I did ask and I do want to know what it means to each individual. Thank you again. I understand the need to have the tech speak English and I do think it's respectful to speak the language of the country we live in. And no we could not move to France or Italy, Japan or Mexico and run a business speaking only English to the client. That would be bad. So my understanding is American should be taken as English speaking techs.

I think it's a great idea to market to clients we are English Speaking techs so clients can choose that if they like, and to add to our info sites that we are American prcedure and product trained, licensed techs and show our education for the efile if need be. I have my efile certificate hanging on my wall near my menu.
Here is Australia we have had shops of all sorts put up signs saying "australian owned/operated" for as long as I can remember.

Here I see it as meaning it is owned and or operated by Aussies as we are in Australia.

I don't see it as offensive at all, I see it as promoting that your business supports the country that the business is based in. It's promoting keeping the money that it earns here in Australia also.

I really think this racist card is getting taken to far sometimes and I know here anyway, people are using it to advantage themselves and they are the ones that call others racist?!?!?!

I would see no problem if I saw a sign saying Italian owned, or PNG owned and see no problems with American owned at all.
Nevermind
I find it off putting because it is meant to be understood as non Asian. There has to be a reason why someone would see that as an advantage. To me it implies that Asians do shoddy work, or are unsafe. People have mentioned that clients like being able to have a tech that speaks English. I think that that is sugar-coating and there is more to it than just that. Also naturalized citizens are just as much Americans as people born here. So far as being proud to support an American business if that means only people born here screams xenophobia. There is no reason why they can't put "American Owned Salon" in their ad. If you're just wanting to imply that you speak English I think "English Speaking" sounds a lot better.
Quote:jimsjadab :
> I find it off putting because it is meant to be understood as non Asian. There
> has to be a reason why someone would see that as an advantage. To me it implies
> that Asians do shoddy work, or are unsafe. People have mentioned that clients
> like being able to have a tech that speaks English. I think that that is sugar-
> coating and there is more to it than just that. Also naturalized citizens are
> just as much Americans as people born here. So far as being proud to support
> an American business if that means only people born here screams xenophobia.
> There is no reason why they can't put "American Owned Salon" in their ad.
> If you're just wanting to imply that you speak English I think "English Speaking"
> sounds a lot better.

Big like!
OK, yes, when I say American Owned, I admit that what I'm trying to convey is that I speak English well enough to be understood easily. It also conveys to the prospective client I won't speak another language in front of them which makes the client feel like they're being talked about right in front if them.
IMO, it's got nothing to do with the quality or level of service. So, that being said, what would all of YOU suggest that I replace those two words with to say the same thing. My YP ad is coming up for renewal pretty quick so if I can have something else to put in it's place, I'll use it.
Donna, I think you need to do what suite you the best. If American owned is gaining you business then leave it. The words are in the eye of the reader. There are going to be clients that assume that means you speak English, and then there will be ones that take it your not an Asian shop. Either way its about what makes you money.

This discussion has opened some doors to let people speak their mind. Its just that. Talking, its not a personal thing, its about what we view some words to mean. We don't all view them the same. So you need to do whats best for you. I didn't mean this to be a personal attack. I saw the ads. Never saw Donna's and I just wanted to know.
Totally understood, sobeit. I've never felt attacked where this discussion is concerned. I understood why you were asking.....I was glad to explain my reasoning behind my actions. There are some that are going to take those two words in my ad as being racist......if that's the case, there's nothing I can do to stop them from thinking that way.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 2
Views: 2,063
01-28-2014, 10:48 AM
Last PostDustmeister
Replies: 3
Views: 2,696
10-25-2012, 09:59 AM