You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Sealing" acrylic nails?
Hi all, I'm new to nails (licensed in October of 2015). I do mostly hard gels, but I'm working at a nail salon which does acrylic. My boss has shown me a few times how she wants the acrylic nail to look at the end. She gives great advice, except I am having a hard time doing what she calls "sealing" in the acrylic at the cuticle.

Basically, after applying the acrylic, you take the edge of the e-file bit and run it around between the acrylic edge near the cuticle and the actual nail bed, thus "sealing" the acrylic to the nail.

This gives me NIGHTMARES. I have tried and end up hitting the nail bed and going into the natural nail. The ladies who come in for a fill have the tell-tale "rings of fire" where either my boss or the other nail tech has filled in the nails and bumped against the nail bed trying to "seal" it in.

Hard gel is so different and I am at a loss when it comes to this part. Is there a different way I can deal with the cuticle area without doing this part?

Thanks,
Beth
this is a technique done by NSS and is often responsible for rings of fire. there is no scientific reason to do this and "sealing " acrylic is a myth.
(02-08-2016, 07:02 PM)NailzOnLine Wrote: this is a technique done by NSS and is often responsible for rings of fire. there is no scientific reason to do this and "sealing " acrylic is a myth.

THANK you! This is what I thought...she is Asian, although was born in the US, but she worked at an NSS before opening her own salon. Do you recommend a technique for the cuticle with acrylic? Hard gel is easy for me to do, but I'm rather ignorant when it comes to acrylic.

I had thought to practice my technique more and get a smooth ridge, and then use a hand file to bevel it around the cuticle.

How do others treat the cuticle area when finish filing acrylic?
I don't do a lot of acrylic but I have a Young Nails safety bit. Love it.
Angela
Angel
(02-08-2016, 03:00 PM)SoonerGirlNails Wrote: Hi all, I'm new to nails (licensed in October of 2015). I do mostly hard gels, but I'm working at a nail salon which does acrylic. My boss has shown me a few times how she wants the acrylic nail to look at the end. She gives great advice, except I am having a hard time doing what she calls "sealing" in the acrylic at the cuticle.

Basically, after applying the acrylic, you take the edge of the e-file bit and run it around between the acrylic edge near the cuticle and the actual nail bed, thus "sealing" the acrylic to the nail.

This gives me NIGHTMARES. I have tried and end up hitting the nail bed and going into the natural nail. The ladies who come in for a fill have the tell-tale "rings of fire" where either my boss or the other nail tech has filled in the nails and bumped against the nail bed trying to "seal" it in.

Hard gel is so different and I am at a loss when it comes to this part. Is there a different way I can deal with the cuticle area without doing this part?

Thanks,
Beth

Beth, Im sorry you are working in a salon that is not teaching you proper technique. There is no need to seal acrylic..EVER.
Get training from a reputable company like creative nail design, or OPI ... I will be glad to talk to you if you would like that, I am a former educator for OPI.. my email is [email protected]
(02-08-2016, 07:02 PM)NailzOnLine Wrote: this is a technique done by NSS and is often responsible for rings of fire. there is no scientific reason to do this and "sealing " acrylic is a myth.

What is NSS
NSS== Non-Standard Salon : does not use good practices for nail care, damages nails, poor sanitation.. This is NOT a discount salon, there is a difference.. you can have low prices with good clean service
Regards,
Debbie webmaster - admin
BeautyTech.com Feed Your Nail Addiction
NailTech.com shop smart, brand name professional products for professional results

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 3
Views: 4,661
09-04-2014, 10:34 AM
Last PostKieran
Replies: 0
Views: 1,814
02-17-2014, 06:12 PM