You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there a SOG topcoat that can be used over nail polish?
I was wondering if anyone had luck using a soak off gel top coat over regular nail polish. Trying to find a way to make polish stay on natural nails longer.
thanks
Something you can try is to apply SOG base coat under the polish. Cleanse the sticky off and apply your polish as usual, including enamel top coat. Polish sticks best to an "artificial" surface, as you know. I also sent you an email with some other info you can use. <wink>
That's what I do and it works well!
~You've got mail~ Can you email me too I'd like that "other info." too? Smile
email me at [email protected]

Thanks
Hey, Julie! Check your inbox!
I have no idea which email i have posted but if you
could email to this address that would be great
[email protected]
thanks
Hi you'vegotnail! Would you mind emailing me too? [email protected]
----
Shirley
Scotch Tape & Rhinestones
NYC Based Nail Artist
why don't you share those tips to all of us ? i think we all are a bit curious for new stuff! Smile
Please email me too [email protected]
Thanks
Debbie, don't get mad at me ok? I feel the need to get on my soapbox just a little. If I step out of line, just shoot me an email, ok? ;o)

OK, here's the deal. I love the BT board. I find it sad that it's not nearly as busy as it was not so long ago. We can thank Facebook for that. That said, there's been certain subjects that cause some folks on here to get all righteous and puffed up about techs that don't follow all of the manufacturers rules to a T. If I bought a lamp for every product line I use I'd need to work in a warehouse, not to mention my hubs and furbabies and I would be living under a bridge. I've been a nail tech longer than a lot of the members on this board have been alive. Yes, I'm an old nail hag!

I'm not a fan of manufacturers who very nearly bully newbie techs into buying everything they can think of. That's one of the reasons that recent grads wind up staying in this business for such a short time. They realize they can't make a living when the products and attendant equipment are so expensive. These poor girls thought they'd have a career where they could make their own hours, yet they find themselves working 10 hour days, 6 days a week. Admittedly, I spend probably too much on product but if we don't try new things, we don't learn new things.

I mix products. I use my Artistic LED lamp to cure all the SOGs I have. Gelish, Shellac (I only use the basecoat because it works best on a few of my clients), ProGel, Just Gel, Gelousy and so on. For that matter, I used that lamp to cure Elite and TEN gels because I didn't much care for the Gelish hard gel I spent a trainload of $$$ on. I just needed to wipe the sticky off and apply in extremely, and I do mean extremely thin coats.

I bought that lamp because I could get it for a great price from a dealer I trust on eBay. I adore Zoya colors and I have about 300 on my wall. I want to use them and my beautiful ladies want to wear them.

What makes SOG soak off is the fact that they're porous. When you apply enamel polish to nails it dries by evaporation. SOG doesn't dry, it cures. But because it's porous, acetone will penetrate it and it comes off the nail. It doesn't dissolve. No, I'm not a chemist. Period.

So back to the SOG topcoats: Apply your basecoat and 2 thin coats of polish, allowing EACH coat to dry several minutes. The final coat needs to dry 10 minutes. Since most of my ladies wear a little simple nail art, I can use that time to apply it. When you apply the SOG topcoat, it's best to apply it in 2 really thin coats. Warn the client that it can dent, at least for the first couple hours, so some care is needed.

Something that works great is to use a fairly thick coat of SOG basecoat, 2 thin coats of enamel and SOG topcoat, using the method above. The basecoat helps the polish wear longer.

I hope I helped some of you with these ideas. If nothing else, please spend your money with care and don't buy everything that comes down the pike. The entire nail enhancement industry was born when a dentist put acrylic on his nail-biter wife. I'm thinking that wasn't exactly "following manufacturers directions".

For anyone who feels the need to chastise me for thinking outside the proverbial box, don't bother please. I truly have no desire to start a flame-war and I will not respond to it. The reason I posted this was simply to help others to think about how things work. I was beginning to feel like an idiot, sending out all these secretive emails to a select few who asked for them.

My favorite quote for the day:
"Well behaved women rarely make history"

Happy day to everyone!

Jan in CO
YAY to you Jan! I wanted to come up with a way to wear regular good old fashioned nail polish and have it stay on for more than 2 days. Ever since they took out those 3 chemicals my polish has never lasted so I don't wear anything. I do not like SOG, gels or acrylic. I wanted a safe way to keep regular nail polish on. Even when SOG's are removed properly they still do damage to some peoples nails. At least if I just use a SOG topcoat i could gently break the seal with a file and remove with acetone. I love your honesty. I agree that it is a shame that this board has been quiet. I have been coming on here for years and check it on a daily basis for new ideas or advice. There will always be those who adore confrontation but who really cares about those comments. I read them as entertainment and certainly never respond. I buy some inexpensive great products and absolutely mix and use one light for most SOG'S. My favorite nail polish is Sinful for $1.99 and it goes on sale in the supermarkets for .99. I do buy OPI, Essie and China glaze also. Thanks for your great post!
I remember reading a thread where the OP was asking for help with cnd acrylic having bubbles and someone asked if they were using the 'dog bowl' dampen dish. Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin If I need to use the manufacturer's dampen dish for an acrylic line ..I'll pass. Are there any good facebook groups? The only ones that I see people just post pictures not really much discussion on products or the business.
(10-13-2015, 11:22 AM)youvegotnail! Wrote: Debbie, don't get mad at me ok? I feel the need to get on my soapbox just a little. If I step out of line, just shoot me an email, ok? ;o)

OK, here's the deal. I love the BT board. I find it sad that it's not nearly as busy as it was not so long ago. We can thank Facebook for that. That said, there's been certain subjects that cause some folks on here to get all righteous and puffed up about techs that don't follow all of the manufacturers rules to a T. If I bought a lamp for every product line I use I'd need to work in a warehouse, not to mention my hubs and furbabies and I would be living under a bridge. I've been a nail tech longer than a lot of the members on this board have been alive. Yes, I'm an old nail hag!

I'm not a fan of manufacturers who very nearly bully newbie techs into buying everything they can think of. That's one of the reasons that recent grads wind up staying in this business for such a short time. They realize they can't make a living when the products and attendant equipment are so expensive. These poor girls thought they'd have a career where they could make their own hours, yet they find themselves working 10 hour days, 6 days a week. Admittedly, I spend probably too much on product but if we don't try new things, we don't learn new things.

I mix products. I use my Artistic LED lamp to cure all the SOGs I have. Gelish, Shellac (I only use the basecoat because it works best on a few of my clients), ProGel, Just Gel, Gelousy and so on. For that matter, I used that lamp to cure Elite and TEN gels because I didn't much care for the Gelish hard gel I spent a trainload of $$$ on. I just needed to wipe the sticky off and apply in extremely, and I do mean extremely thin coats.

I bought that lamp because I could get it for a great price from a dealer I trust on eBay. I adore Zoya colors and I have about 300 on my wall. I want to use them and my beautiful ladies want to wear them.

What makes SOG soak off is the fact that they're porous. When you apply enamel polish to nails it dries by evaporation. SOG doesn't dry, it cures. But because it's porous, acetone will penetrate it and it comes off the nail. It doesn't dissolve. No, I'm not a chemist. Period.

So back to the SOG topcoats: Apply your basecoat and 2 thin coats of polish, allowing EACH coat to dry several minutes. The final coat needs to dry 10 minutes. Since most of my ladies wear a little simple nail art, I can use that time to apply it. When you apply the SOG topcoat, it's best to apply it in 2 really thin coats. Warn the client that it can dent, at least for the first couple hours, so some care is needed.

Something that works great is to use a fairly thick coat of SOG basecoat, 2 thin coats of enamel and SOG topcoat, using the method above. The basecoat helps the polish wear longer.

I hope I helped some of you with these ideas. If nothing else, please spend your money with care and don't buy everything that comes down the pike. The entire nail enhancement industry was born when a dentist put acrylic on his nail-biter wife. I'm thinking that wasn't exactly "following manufacturers directions".

For anyone who feels the need to chastise me for thinking outside the proverbial box, don't bother please. I truly have no desire to start a flame-war and I will not respond to it. The reason I posted this was simply to help others to think about how things work. I was beginning to feel like an idiot, sending out all these secretive emails to a select few who asked for them.

Happy day to everyone!

Jan in CO

Thanks for the post,im excited to try thi,I usually dry each coat of nail polish on feet and hands with a hair dryer ,do you think this will make the polish coats dry enough ,and then add mysog topcoat ,or should it air dry for 10 minutes, [email protected] ,thanks
(10-13-2015, 11:22 AM)youvegotnail! Wrote: Debbie, don't get mad at me ok? I feel the need to get on my soapbox just a little. If I step out of line, just shoot me an email, ok? ;o)

Happy day to everyone!

Jan in CO

Tried this and it worked great ,had it on all day no dents scratch or coming off,how do you remove it?

Just score the surface and the tip to break the seal, then do the usual cotton/foil thing. About 3 minutes will usually do the trick. Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 5
Views: 2,370
03-08-2016, 11:34 PM
Last Postjimsjadab
Replies: 2
Views: 3,344
07-25-2014, 07:41 PM