You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for the right nail salon
I went into a salon that has an odor. Acrylic product odor. Is that normal at all? It was near the evening. It is pretty strong for me. It is also next to a restaurant where I have eaten before. I can smell it in their restroom where the salon is right next door. It is not a NSS shop. This salon has services for hair, skin and nails. It has other salons in the area and does more than pink and whites. I heard they have a training site. Do you think I should be concerned if there is any odor? Should it have no odor at all?

I found another one is looking for Nail Techs on a few days a week and have clients that they turn away from time to time. The owner said I could come in and sit around and watch. Would you recommend taking this opportunity and then if something better comes along, go to the next salon?

How do you know when you've found the right salon? I will likely need to find a second part-time job to go along with this if they do not have a high traffic of clients.

I also feel intimidated at high class salons that looks fancy. Is this normal feeling? It makes me feel like I am not good enough for them yet. I don't know what to think of this? Or is this a sign I should keep looking? That maybe it's not the right place?

It's hard to figure out what the right salon and schedule is for me. I am still looking around. I don't like when they take applications without talking first about what they are looking for and offering. Applications are time consuming.

Thank you for sharing your inputs.
Omg you must be my doppelganger - I almost read your post and thought it was one of mine!
I'm living thus nightmare since 2013.... it is very hard from my point of view....
I think it's definitely finding the "right fit" issue. Who knew that little issues would trip me up and reflect in my work :-(
Ok - odor - haven't been in a salon with this- could be poor ventilation - I'd be concerned myself.

I've been in the situation of salon #2... it could be hit or miss...very difficult decision. ...
I personally am nervous with what you described as high class- I'm in a salon 10 months that is a higher end salon- I was surprised I survived....but they don't do anything to help me - no specials no coupons - too seasonal - issues there.
I'm in 2 salons right now. ...have had 6 jobs in 2 years ... it's usually because of lack of clients, lack of salons willing to do anything to change that as well!
(05-14-2015, 09:50 PM)[email protected] Wrote: Omg you must be my doppelganger - I almost read your post and thought it was one of mine!
I'm living thus nightmare since 2013.... it is very hard from my point of view....
I think it's definitely finding the "right fit" issue. Who knew that little issues would trip me up and reflect in my work :-(
Ok - odor - haven't been in a salon with this- could be poor ventilation - I'd be concerned myself.

I've been in the situation of salon #2... it could be hit or miss...very difficult decision. ...
I personally am nervous with what you described as high class- I'm in a salon 10 months that is a higher end salon- I was surprised I survived....but they don't do anything to help me - no specials no coupons - too seasonal - issues there.
I'm in 2 salons right now. ...have had 6 jobs in 2 years ... it's usually because of lack of clients, lack of salons willing to do anything to change that as well!

Thank you for your input. It's amazing that school does not prepare us 100%! I went to the another salon they have, and it had an odor. Other salons don't have this odor at all. This salon has had people who participated in competitions for acrylic nails. I don't know if this smell is normal to be around all the time, but it's not a NSS.

I went to another salon and they are looking for natural nails and gel polish, so the lady was not very concerned that I am not good at acrylics yet. I think I like this salon to start with. She said I schedule my hours. How do you best schedule your hours? I will most likely have a part-time job.

What do you do when you spend time waiting for clients? Would it be a good idea to keep looking around?

It's kind of scary isn't it not having a steady paycheck?

It all depends on your availability, what you need fit income, and how are you being paid from salon job?
Do yourself a favor - Look up Tina's book THE UGLY BEAUTY BUSINESS - depending on your state you should at least get minimum wage -
Some people work a salon job full time others start out weekends only, or 3 days- some people work 2 separate salons - I do that. It all depends what your income needs are -
(05-15-2015, 09:54 PM)[email protected] Wrote: It all depends on your availability, what you need fit income, and how are you being paid from salon job?
Do yourself a favor - Look up Tina's book THE UGLY BEAUTY BUSINESS - depending on your state you should at least get minimum wage -
Some people work a salon job full time others start out weekends only, or 3 days- some people work 2 separate salons - I do that. It all depends what your income needs are -

I have been reading a little bit at least on their website. I will ask questions about how a Nail Tech should be paid in my state. That sucks to find out. I have only found one place in my other state that paid hourly or commission. I wasn't hired Sad.

I am thinking how will I find a salon that will pay me an hourly rate? This is a shame.

I read this book online on:

https://books.google.com/books?id=dV08Aw...TE&f=false

Milady Standard Nail Technology page 462 on ways Nail Techs get paid. Is this book also mistaken? What a shame. It is rough to not get paid and sit around assisting the salon for free. That's how it works at a retirement facility I went to.

They have their own clients only from the retirement community, but when I interviewed, it was only commission pay. I was disappointed. The time spent doing nothing would be helping around the salon folding towels, etc. I would think the retirement community can still pay minimum rate.Rolleyes I have the contract, and it states that they consider us an independent contractor. They have housekeepers that they pay an hourly rate. Why not clean and fold the towels for the salon too instead of the Nail Techs who are paid nothing?

It's funny because even though I don't know much, my instinct feels uncomfortable when I hear certain words such as that "independent" when it's commission only. I only thought a booth renter is independent.
Read and look at on Google This Ugly Beauty Business
I have been reading it. I know this is common, but I am considering giving up. This is just nasty. I just don't understand how the IRS doesn't catch up with this. Don't they question the Nail Tech or salon owners? Why are they still around? Am I going to find a salon that pays properly? *sigh* Is it worth looking around? It's just so overwhelming whether this career path is worth it (aside from the desire to do nails for a living). I feel scammed having gone to school to be a Nail Technician because it almost feels like it's not even a job or a joke.
Frustrating but there are salons that operate correctly. . .
I am sure there are, but it seems so hard to find.

May I ask, do you get paid hourly and commission or just commission?
Stick with it! You'll both find your home. Took me about 8 tries in 3 years, not including interviews! It will be so worth it. Maybe the salon is dirty or misclassifying you. Depending on the owner, you can make a change and it will wind up being your perfect spot.
I know you hear it a lot but trust me patience is a virtue. I guess I'm also fortunate in Manhattan, it's pretty hourly only
----
Shirley
Scotch Tape & Rhinestones
NYC Based Nail Artist
It varries -I've had all offers - cash, 50%, hourly
Have any of you tried attempting to educate them about the way they pay? My gut is to move on and keep looking without saying anything. Not sure if this is the best way to handle it.
I have tried. If they don't listen, just report them and move on. Hang in there!
----
Shirley
Scotch Tape & Rhinestones
NYC Based Nail Artist
If I were choosing a salon to work in, I'd be much more concerned with the environment, how busy they are, and why are they hiring. The pay structure is not the most important thing. Only thing I'd ask is 'am I an employee or IC?' In the right place, commission can be very lucrative. But as a commission employee, you shouldn't have the additional burden of taxes on your shoulders.
No matter the type of pay, I think to make it in this field you need an entrepreneurial spirit. Because it's always going to be more clients = more money and more opportunity.
Well I just got a job in Florida after doing a one week boot camp after being out of the industry forEVER. It depends on what you want to do. Aveda salons usually do not have acrylic but will allow gel nails. Really upscale spas will allow natural nails only with gel polish. I have worked at one of those before and the most expensive pedicure was $120!! SHe paid $8 an hour or 45% commission which is greater. I made the most money there.

Now I share a booth with another nail tech. I pay the owner my part of the rent, I have a key and I set my own hours/prices. However, I do tell the owner when I will be in so he can tell anyone that calls that I am available. I post every nail design or set that I do on IG. That has drummed up a lot of business.
I am pretty flexible. If I make good money doing only natural nails, I'll be happy with that. It would be a good idea to start doing just natural nails. I'd still work on gels and acrylics just in case you decide to do something with it down the road. It's worth it to keep your skills up. I don't want to work for a salon that takes advantage of nail techs. Sometimes you don't know until you're there watching a few days what it really is like.

If you worked at a commission pay only with all products provided by the salon, how did you classify yourself in your taxes? Were you or are you able to classify yourself as an employee? Did you pay the taxes yourself?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 5
Views: 2,833
11-27-2016, 12:09 PM
Last Postplumgirl
Replies: 5
Views: 4,761
07-22-2016, 01:00 AM