You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Product slips between natural nail and form
I've been a tech for 15 years but haven't been in a salon for 7 (shoulder problems). I now only do nails on me and my daughter and an occasional friend. But I have ALWAYS had an issue with forms when sculpting a nail (which I prefer over tips). It seems like the form is fitting under the natural nail but when I take it off, product always has slipped under the nail causing a ridge and extra thickness. It seems worse when I sculpt gels (though its been a long time since I've used acrylics due to the fact that I am doing the nails in my house). I have tried a zillion types of forms and have this issue. Am I just being too picky or does anyone have any advice that I may not have thought of?

Maybe I need to take the natural nail down further? I really don't like to do that, but maybe it would help.
It definitely sounds like you may need to find a form you're comfortable working with and learn how to got that form to any nail type.rhat means learning how to properly cut and got the form. It took me a long time to figure that not all forms are created equal and not all forms work for every client. I personally like the OPI free forms....and I tried tons of them before finding these and absolutely love them! I think NailsTv has a mini video on proper form fitting online.

It may also help to take down the natural nail. You don't want that much free when you sculpt really long nails. Hope this helps - good luck! :-)

Chrissy
Love Those Toes Nail Spa
Washington, DC
I like young nails and cnd forms. Check out young nails on youtube. You can find some tricks to help fit the form better. I wouldn't suggest to use cheaper forms. They do not adhere and stay in place.YN Nail Forms - Tips and Tricks: http://youtu.be/Zjz3zjPiLcM
".....manifest your visions into physical beauty"
I've been a nail tech for 15 years - trust me I have tried them all! CND, TT, EZ Flow, reusable forms (which I hate!), clear forms, Entity forms and who knows how many others. And yes I have watched the YN video - I actually have seen Greg do nails in person and he is a master! I have taken master classes with CND and took a class with the late Tom Holcomb and was on a nail cruise with the late Vicki Peters and several other amazing technicians. Somehow I still get product seepage. I really think I just need to cut the natural nail down further, which makes me cringe a bit because my whole "thing" is to keep the natural nail intact and not "replace" it with an enhancement.
I love the Kupa forms. Have you tried cutting little bat ears? That technique was a life saver when I finally learned it. If you are keeping their natural nail longer then you will need to cut the "ears" a little deeper. Let me know if you understand what I mean. If not i will try to explain.
(03-01-2015, 10:10 AM)CluuryMcFluury Wrote: I love the Kupa forms. Have you tried cutting little bat ears? That technique was a life saver when I finally learned it. If you are keeping their natural nail longer then you will need to cut the "ears" a little deeper. Let me know if you understand what I mean. If not i will try to explain.

can someone explain what is meant by "cutting little bat ears" in nail forms?
you can see on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6-l7LH3oiw at about 6:15 how she cuts the sides of the forms - I assume "cutting little bat ears" means basically this but without actually cutting out the wedge, just cutting a slash so the form molds to the natural nail a bit better.

@CluuryMcFluury - that is one thing I have not tried and I might have to do that and see if it helps
(03-04-2015, 03:08 PM)NailzOnLine Wrote: you can see on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6-l7LH3oiw at about 6:15 how she cuts the sides of the forms

I love the fact that she pushes the cuticle back!! I do that every time and my ladies go 3 weeks between fills.
Hair, nails and waxing, I am a triple threat on two legs!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 6
Views: 1,988
07-17-2017, 06:30 AM
Last Postthreadinghairspa
Replies: 4
Views: 3,209
06-20-2014, 10:26 AM