You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nail tech doubts
Yes this is a posting of another discouraged nail tech but advice is needed.

I've been in salons where technicians have talked about me behind my back (ninja ears are a blessing and a curse) they said I wasn't any good as a nail tech and they have to clean up after my mistakes and the salon should drop me then they tell me to my face how the service I did was terrible (and not in the constructive mentoring kind of way).
When I first started out right after beauty school my first salon didn't do acrylic due to bad ventilation, and my next salon would not let me do acrylic saying I was slow and terrible at it, I was also interviewing with another nail tech I knew who told the owner that I couldn't do acrylics worth a Da** and wouldn't let me get a word in edgewise about it, then when I get into a new salon multiple months after being told I'm not allowed/unable to do it the new salon expects me to do acrylic quickly and perfectly right off the bat which includes free form, pink and whites and glitter acrylic not just clear.
Needless to say it's difficult to go day to day hearing that and trying to live up their expectations, as well as being unable to get my clients to return to me even after being cordial, trying to perform the best services I can and trying to book them when they are in the chair (even if I do, they just cancel anyway) my only clients are really friends and family who, for the most part, are getting their services for free/practice models. In all honesty hearing and experiencing things like that has to mean the problem is with me I doubt I would hear so many things from so many people in different salons if it wasn't true or didn't have meaning. My spirits are crushed, and as embarrassing as it sounds I would leave the salons in tears most days because of what the workers, and some clients sometimes would say about me.
Yet I still look at nail supplies and deals online and want to go to nail shows to get those super sale items that I tell myself I can't live without and attend their free nail classes. With my current night job I don't make enough and need a day job and while I tell myself that I can work a salon I still have that nagging voice at the back of my mind saying "why bother? You'll only fail and people will just complain again and you won't have any clients or money. The only thing you're good for is hard labor in retail."
A portion of this sounds like a pity party, and maybe some of it is, but I'm so filled with doubt due to what people have said and trying to match a salons needs in a quick and timely manner. The other difficulty with salons is in my area the salons that are hiring want nail techs with at least a year and a half to 2 years of experience, which I'm barely coming into my first year and I've heard salons have told me "We want someone more experienced" or once I heard "we'll give you a shot even though your inexperienced" some salons won't even let you apply unless you have a certain amount of experience under your belt. My first salon job I only got because of a hook up by my teacher, and the salon went under a few weeks later. Then I got into a McNails that ripped me off big time and insulted me in English and Vietnamese.
I know one needs a thick skin in this career, and there's the all too common "suck it up" speech, but I've experienced the complaints and insults at more than one salon I've been at with no constructive criticism or offer of help, one of the salons swore and stressed that cattiness would't be tolerated in their salon but ended up threatening to fire me and pressured me to quit; I am discouraged to the point of being afraid of working in salons and haven't for about 5 months now I can't help but wonder if people think I'm really that bad and if I should even try to get back into a salon again or even do anyone's nails beside for my own and what few friends will actually still come to see me at my home.
After having this happen day after day,month after month, salon after salon something has to be wrong...right? And if it is, should I even try to get back into a salon again? If it isn't what is the best option to overcome this problem?
I would definitely look for a mentor locally. Also, watch tons of videos on YouTube - because there are some great pro and non-pro videos. I went thru that phase too - and then I told myself "if these youbie tubies can do nails like this and not have any formal training (self taught) then unknown I can do it! Be your own cheerleader, even when others don't encourage you. It's tough, but you can so not. Stay positive and practice daily. Eventually, you'll get it!

Check out Nunis_Nails on Instagram. He offers Skype classes at reasonable prices. Margaret Thomas (Tammy Taylor educator) and owner of It's a Secret salon offers Skype classss as well.

Best of luck to you! And hang in there! :-)

Chrissy
Love Those Toes Nail Spa
Washington, DC
Thank you for the encouragement. I will definitely check out those classes and will check out youtube more too. Smile Hopefully with practice I'll end up getting back in the nail groove
most people will open up to share (can you accept the word teach?) seem like you have people that can help you right in front of you, ask why? and you can you make it better? and can you help me?
I travel the world and train many, but I still ask how you did that when I see some thing that I need to learn to bring home to share.

XOXO
J Pham
No boundaries, just possibility.

http://www.facebook.com/jphamfb
Wow that was a lot off of your chest...whew! You definitely needed a good venting. First off, girls can be mean. Little girls who were mean and bullied others on the playground, often "grow up" to be the women who are mean and bully. They will always exist. There are so many great sayings about how we let someone make us feel is our responsible. And it's true. We may not be able to control what is said to us, but we can control how we react to it. So let this experience light a fire under you and not discourage you.

I apologize if I misread your post, but it seems that the focus of the perceived failure was in performing nail enhancement services. Keep practicing, apprentice under someone. But in all honesty, why not (for this immediate future) just focus on natural nails and pedicures. Perfect your polishing (practice, practice, practice...on yourself and you can master anyone), perfect your foot massage. Promote mini services, foot massage only, hand massage only, callous treatment, hand scrubs, etc. It can all be just as profitable. I think sometimes people feel like they need to perfect at everything right out of the gate, when learning is a continuous process. Don't overwhelm yourself. Keep it simple, perfect what you are confident with, and go with it! Believe in yourself, you will get where you want to be eventually Smile
Find yourself a salon that will start you in Mani / Pedi only to start - build your confidence & speed, then start doing gel manicures- build your confidence & speed- then enhancements - I too tried to jump right to enhancements and quickly realized I had to perfect the basics first & 2 years later I still have that client that will come in for a basic Mani with terrible nails & cuticles and I loose myself to my insecurities - I will beat myself up for hours or days over 1 client that I feel like I didn't like how their Mani or gel Mani turned out - I'm learning that I'm still learning because there's other times I'll do someone's nails and I can't believe how amazing they look - but each time I'm better then before or learning something new! See if you can find a position as a junior tech - where the services are lower perhaps then a senior tech and the clients are more understanding that you are newer yet they are getting a deal - your best bet us to get in a place doing basics for a bit before tackling enhancements. Good luck!!
Thumbs Up 
(08-14-2014, 06:28 PM)lovethosetoes Wrote: I would definitely look for a mentor locally. Also, watch tons of videos on YouTube - because there are some great pro and non-pro videos. I went thru that phase too - and then I told myself "if these youbie tubies can do nails like this and not have any formal training (self taught) then unknown I can do it! Be your own cheerleader, even when others don't encourage you. It's tough, but you can so not. Stay positive and practice daily. Eventually, you'll get it!

Check out Nunis_Nails on Instagram. He offers Skype classes at reasonable prices. Margaret Thomas (Tammy Taylor educator) and owner of It's a Secret salon offers Skype classss as well.

Best of luck to you! And hang in there! :-)

Chrissy
Love Those Toes Nail Spa
Washington, DC

Great response! I agree with Chrissy I have had a bad experience at a salon it wasn't like yours it was that the owner and cosmo couldn't get alone and I feel like this we're all in the industry to make it some have stronger skills than others but we should all help each other so we all can make it. I haven't been in a salon in abt a yr now but I still do my own nails and family I also follow Nunis on instagram and a bunch of other nail techs. Try guru_seannails as well she is really gr8 and offer Skype classes. Good luck to all the techs out there!

Ursie :_)
I agree with finding a mentor locally. Yes you can watch videos on you tube but there's nothing like one on one guidance. Where are you located?
I agree with finding a mentor
If you want to share your email or just email me at [email protected] I may be able to help you out.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 26
Views: 28,626
11-19-2014, 03:38 PM
Last PostDannieLynne