You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long rant... monster children in salon, thoughtless parents
I wish I could have taped it.... I really can’t tell if the parents and stylists don’t understand the danger to children and customers and don’t notice the looks from other clients....... or if they just don’t care...
One young boy who, every visit, runs back and forth down the walk between hair stylists and manicurists, enters the back room (have heard him opening cupboards), plays with tools at other stations, very loud, this time was emptying the water cooler filling a row of plastic cups along the counter. I told him “don’t run dear” at least five times and chased him out of the back room (have done so before). His mother mentioned not running a couple times. While it’s a sorry thing for business to be slow a day, we were fortunate it was yesterday... half the stylists do a lot of shampoo-sets, their elderly clientele are my greatest concern, I can picture heedless young but beefy kids plowing into a 90 year old client, second, the tile floor will not be kind to a child’s face and while the floor is well laid, the space between tiles is sufficient to catch the toe of a shoe. I spent the first half of my working life in medical back office, most of it in orthopedics, some of it involved with assessments for legal issues.
The other sorry aspect is being treated like a pariah for speaking up while everyone else is glaring and complaining to each other. A couple weeks ago a stylist (part timer) told me her client didn’t like me telling her (big) kids to not run back and forth. My thought on that is, I should not need to. I spoke to them after seeing the girl nearly plow the stylist who works in the front station. The complaining stylist used to bring her children (and dog) to the salon, children filled up the waiting area chairs, they ran back and forth, playing with the styling chairs (pump them up high then spin them around), emptied the snack plate..... I annoyed her one night when I made her stop working to insist she take the stick from her youngest, the child was running back and forth with the stick in her mouth, stylist completely unconcerned with the danger. This time she had behaved as if angry with me (though a friend suggested she might be embarrassed) Stylist is very involved in her church (she says) so she will have to forgive me eventually, right? ;-) Now that I think of it, her older kids were unruly thoughtless things themselves, at another salon one pushed me aside while I was carrying a tub of pedicure water as they ran down the hallway (I promised myself the next time she did it I would soak her), a salon client complained of the children bouncing a ball off her car in the parking lot, the stylist was angry insisting they didn’t (she would often send them out to play in the parking lot, ball, bicycles). Her kids were a problem, she denied all....

Yesterday we had boys running back and forth, playing with the snacks, playing with the water bottle (left water on the floor), all blocking the passage to back room and rest room, heedless of workers and other clients... the noise level was more like amusement park as they shouted across the room to each other so the young man now with the owner turned his smart phone game up louder and louder then the others yelled over it so he turned the volume up more...

I’m often surprised at the lack of supervision....
I once watched a young child take a polish from the co-owners rack and walking around with it, threw it on the floor, she threw it two more times then I took it from her, the other salon owner was doing the mother’s hair, grandmother watching... nothing I said about it breaking (amazingly it didn’t) or not being the ideal toy for a child had an effect.
Children (many old enough to have better manners) often play with the furnishings, the most common to pump the chairs up all the way and spin around on them, sometimes two in a chair, rearrange or use all the waiting chairs making other, often elderly clients stand, one client’s child (owners client) moved a chair so she could sit in the door entry, blocking it unless those entering stepped over her legs (they looked unhappy when I said she should move). I’ve seen children standing on waiting area chairs throwing themselves against the front window. One pair of young girls sat on the floor tearing the stack of plastic cups up into pieces, making toys of them, leaving the shreds on the floor, then emptied the cookie jar between them, licking their fingers as they touched everything in the jar, their mother standing near them ignoring it all.
There were two young girls crawling around on the floor (age 4, 5 or so) around the working stylists legs (kids of an associate of an owner). We've had a couple people let dogs walk loose, one let hers walk out on a leash (leash stretched across the floor), I've seen other stylists let children go behind the nail stations and open cupboards (another salon, saw a child dipping her fingers in acrylic liquid, told the mother she needed to wash her hand, mother said “don’t tell me what to do with my own child”, stomped off angrily), play on the pedicure carts bouncing on the foot support (argument with one, she said “well if she hurts herself she will never do that again”, I suggested she would have a hard time finding one over night so the manicurist would have it to work with tomorrow if the child broke it, clearly, she didn’t see it would be her problem and the manicurist doing her, said nothing.) Stylist with unruly kids, her youngest racing around pushing her stroller, deliberately slammed it into my client.....

I’m just amazed....

I like the salon a lot and the owners are great women... except when it comes to this kind of thing... and as I said, they see it as me being “negative”.
Though they did not complain when I make the scammers (like the fake fire extinguisher guys, fake charity people) leave the salon. The fire extinguisher guys put up a fight.;-)
I don’t get it.....

Friends suggest I just let the injuries/lawsuit happen if it is going to... and I often tell myself, I should stay out of it... but I just can’t see a child set up for an injury even if the parents were horrid, and I’d seen too many elderly clients pass away following a bad fall...

I'm perplexed about how to improve a decaying situation....
Hard to put up with ,even harder ti work around ,I would be horrified if my kids ever were in public and behaved that way ,however I am my kids parent ,not friend ,and I have taught them how to behave in public ,and to have manners from the time they could understand. Some people ,I swear, think kids just teach themselves or learn through osmosis...oddly it is very common for people to bring kids and almost expect others to babysit them ,but cop an attitude when u end up having to correct ,or reprimand their kid . I myself find it shameful ,however ,nowadays ,it's very common....feel bad for you ,and know first hand how aggravating it is. I usuallt say something
You are so right! I forgot to consider "lazy" ;-)
remembering in an earlier salon, couple incidents of children getting hurt, one parent screaming at the manager, "YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE WATCHING HER!"
they put up a sign, "no children unless they have an appointment"

I suggested "children must remain with parent at all times"

glad to hear you speak up too.... I was beginning to think I was the only one
Add the owner's son and his friend throwing a football across the salon and going in the pedi room and over filling the tub and water running in the floor and out the door. And people wonder why their kids get hurt.
Always be kind....you get farther.
We have a sign at our salon that says : any children left unattended will be given an expresso ,and a puppy ,lol !
These are the kind of reasons I am not able to bring my very well mannered and behaved child into certain salons with me! Errrrr. My son usually brings a book or his game and sits quietly. He generally also hates when kids act unruly.
It sounds like if everyone else is fine with it, you will have to deal. Sadly you're the one who is being negative?? That is crazy. I don't know how people can even work like that.
NY Licensed Nail + Waxing Tech
Owner/Developer Suite Tee
http://www.Facebook.com/TashawnaH
Instagram: @SuiteTee
(07-13-2014, 05:20 AM)Tn Nail Lady Wrote: Add the owner's son and his friend throwing a football across the salon and going in the pedi room and over filling the tub and water running in the floor and out the door. And people wonder why their kids get hurt.

OMG

what a story we (salon workers) could tell!
once had a set to with a client whose kids were throwing a ball in the salon, deliberately hitting clients, last salon I worked in a hairdressers kids stuffed paper towel in the upstairs restroom sink and left the water on... the two remaining stylists, doing each others hair fortunately were there to see the water when it began to seep through the ceiling
the stylist mother of course insisted they hadn't done it, but, then that left her client as the next option

(07-16-2014, 07:49 PM)Tashawna Wrote: These are the kind of reasons I am not able to bring my very well mannered and behaved child into certain salons with me! Errrrr. My son usually brings a book or his game and sits quietly. He generally also hates when kids act unruly.
It sounds like if everyone else is fine with it, you will have to deal. Sadly you're the one who is being negative?? That is crazy. I don't know how people can even work like that.

Isn't that a shame... I see some very well behaved kids, I think more than I used to of good behavior, seeing it less often.

I find the "negative" thing amusing, so many people are emotionally lazy, they let someone else do the work and then can indulge themselves... couple salons I left, the stories I heard later, lol, the things I complained about escalated into greater issues... duh.....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 4
Views: 2,710
10-07-2013, 11:58 AM
Last Postyou'vegotnail!
Replies: 5
Views: 6,226
06-28-2013, 09:25 AM