You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"what sets you apart"????????
This is all amazing info! So much time spent helping others is so appreciated!
I decided to leave my job :-(
The area I am in (NJ) is so heavily populated there is seriously a nail salon every 1/4 mike on secondary main roads & main roads & highways- on a secondary main road off my street there is 9 nail salons -- that's only 1 secondary road out of Several! We are heavily populated. With that said competition is high-- some of these nail salons are NSS some are not- Some are in business yrs- advertise all the time-print ads, FB, Instagram- others do nothing in advertising and thrive. Its frustrating! I'm taking the job that's in my own town only 5 miles away vs 15 miles- the owner if my current salon & I talked and she understands **we talked about the salon and u suggested a bigger advertising budget for the future & she disagreed - she has been there 27 yrs, has a huge buildboard up the street, does some coupons, but Americans still go to Foreign owned salons because they are cheaper--I showed her not true always-she's set in her ways with NO open mind. I suggested a big IBX push-- she would not even buy it because she said its probably just one more product that doesn't work- I showed her into- persons testimonies that recently tried-- didn't want it. I told her several times Joanna's Nat nails doesn't come up on Google; she was suppose to tell computer guy to fix & never did....
All the education won't help with NO clients.
I can't keep taking time off from work :-(
The salon I'm going to uses LCN & IBD & possibly Brisa (this is what EVERYBODY uses I'm finding around my area- foreign owned).....when I work at home I use different products.... For me to take the LE class right now won't work- I will not be using that brand & need to learn (their words NOT MINE) "their way - Asian style, nails" - this place I'm going to seems like a good place - I'M REALLY NERVOUS & way out of my comfort zone.... the most interesting thing is my current owner said if I ever come across anyone that wants to buy a nail salon let her know--- what does that tell you- ?????
I start new place Saturday :-)
Hope I made the right choice!
(03-27-2014, 01:10 PM)gelpro Wrote: I only do sculptured gel fingernails. I do not glue on tips. I work in a dust free environment. I never cause pain. I strive to maintain the integrity of the natural nail so that within 6 months my clients have their own nails with a gel coating to enhance an protect them. 90% of my clients go 3 weeks or longer. All of my clients are on standing appointments as this is the only way they can get an appointment with me now. They are not written in stone but it makes it easier to change appointments if they already have a spot. I call and confirm my appointments the day before, something my clients really appreciate. I serve coffee, tea and have filtered water available.

I had 4 clients that were the catalyst to building my clientele. I hand picked these clients and did their nails for FREE, for every client that they referred to me for the first 6 months of my business - these ladies were my advertising budget - my walking billboards. Two were waitresses, 1 a bank teller and the third a lawyer, all people who deal with the public. My book was full within 2 years, that was almost 20 years ago.

Get your work noticed by finding some walking billboards. Your work has to be so good that people ask your clients, "Who does your nails?" because if they are just average, all the marketing in the world will not turn that new customer into a faithful client.

Where did you get your education,I have yet to have a class that I really lerned or help me all they do is have you watch them ,then I go home and practice but I dont feel Im doing the best work I could,I would love to learn to sculpt,I do gels ,Im allergic to acrylics,eyes water nose runs,Thanks
I would try to find a workshop where you watch. Then sit down and work while the educator walks around to help you! There are no two Techs alike. Same with educators!
Tesss Walters
http://www.puttinonthenails.com
Inventor of THE CLAZY GRIP!
Owner/Operator
Educator
Master Gel Technician
[email protected]
FB Group Page ( The Art Of the Pen)

[/quote] Where did you get your education,I have yet to have a class that I really lerned or help me all they do is have you watch them ,then I go home and practice but I dont feel Im doing the best work I could,I would love to learn to sculpt,I do gels ,Im allergic to acrylics,eyes water nose runs,Thanks

[/quote]

I am from Edmonton. We have a lot of very talented Nail Techs here, many who are eager to share.
(04-07-2014, 08:05 AM)[email protected] Wrote: This is all amazing info! So much time spent helping others is so appreciated!
I decided to leave my job :-(
The area I am in (NJ) is so heavily populated there is seriously a nail salon every 1/4 mike on secondary main roads & main roads & highways- on a secondary main road off my street there is 9 nail salons -- that's only 1 secondary road out of Several! We are heavily populated. With that said competition is high-- some of these nail salons are NSS some are not- Some are in business yrs- advertise all the time-print ads, FB, Instagram- others do nothing in advertising and thrive. Its frustrating! I'm taking the job that's in my own town only 5 miles away vs 15 miles- the owner if my current salon & I talked and she understands **we talked about the salon and u suggested a bigger advertising budget for the future & she disagreed - she has been there 27 yrs, has a huge buildboard up the street, does some coupons, but Americans still go to Foreign owned salons because they are cheaper--I showed her not true always-she's set in her ways with NO open mind. I suggested a big IBX push-- she would not even buy it because she said its probably just one more product that doesn't work- I showed her into- persons testimonies that recently tried-- didn't want it. I told her several times Joanna's Nat nails doesn't come up on Google; she was suppose to tell computer guy to fix & never did....
All the education won't help with NO clients.
I can't keep taking time off from work :-(
The salon I'm going to uses LCN & IBD & possibly Brisa (this is what EVERYBODY uses I'm finding around my area- foreign owned).....when I work at home I use different products.... For me to take the LE class right now won't work- I will not be using that brand & need to learn (their words NOT MINE) "their way - Asian style, nails" - this place I'm going to seems like a good place - I'M REALLY NERVOUS & way out of my comfort zone.... the most interesting thing is my current owner said if I ever come across anyone that wants to buy a nail salon let her know--- what does that tell you- ?????
I start new place Saturday :-)
Hope I made the right choice!

Hello,
Where in Jersey are you? IBX really works. I use it on myself. My pinkie toenails actually look normal rather than having a split down center. Unfortunately this is a tough business with the competition that you are speaking of. They have killed our business. The worst part of it is, most of them are working illegally. If the LE class is free you should take it. You can probably use almost any product with the techniques you would be learning. Learn everything! Youtube is very helpful. You can watch it over and over again until you get it. I think SOG is more popular than anything right now. Are yoiu doing SOG's? Good luck at new job.
I'm in Toms River.
The LE classes are $50 each (there's 4)
I do SOG & Hard gels, Mani & Pedi. Acrylic not at last 2 jobs.

***I had 1 day in at Asian salon
They themselves call it an Asian Salon or the alter an American Salon- and they themselves said there is a difference! It was high volume, fast paced & I'M Sooooooo slow compared to them- however the owners are married & completely Americanized- husband & his sister barely have an accent, there's another American tech, and another Asian tech. There was a private party my 1st day so it was insane plus clients were coming in after 2pm- I did mostly pedi & Mani work. I was nervous didn't know where anything was, a person asked for use of a razor, 3 people wanted ingrown toe nails addressed-- UGH! Def an issue for me.
I'll keep you posted ....upside it was busy busy busy!
The peoples that don't comeback are the one that can give you what you are looking for (hurt sometime but it what you need to hear)
Don't matter if salon only have two walk in a week, if every client you touch return you will be busy in no time, so follow up on any client that don't rebook any ask for their honest feedback.
J Pham
No boundaries, just possibility.

http://www.facebook.com/jphamfb
This is true- deep down you know its something.... and knowing can only help.
My issue with my salon job that I just left was there was not even enough ppl to notccome back- everyone except 1 didn't return-her last words to me was it was too expensive every 2 weeks for a fill (she came in 4 x's) 2 x's were on a coupon deal-- either it was me or truly the cost ---?
However everyone else came back that I did pretty much

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 1
Views: 1,402
04-22-2013, 04:21 PM
Last PostCluuryMcFluury
Replies: 6
Views: 2,518