You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need someadvice on picking up my speed
I am getting so discouraged with myself. I have been doing nails for over 5 years so obviously ''practice, practice, practice'' is not helping and I dont know what i'm doing but I am soooooo freaking slow with my services. Full sets are about 3 hours, fills are 2-3 hours and even my pedis are 2 hours. I stay focused and make sure I work as I talk. My prep alone is an hour but the thing is there is not much to be prepped...not much lifting, most of the time all nails are on. I have even purchased a shiver bit to prep the natural nail but am waisting so much time filing. I have lost a lot of clients and dont even promote myself anymore because I cant handle more rejection of them not coming back. My work looks great and lasts but most people dont care so much and their time is more important. I am a perfectionist and most of my clients like that but I am not ok with it anymore. I am wondering if anyone has any tricks to help me speed up? Maybe certain efile bits that are awesome and will cut down my time or what you did to help you? thanks
I'm newer & working on my time- I started using a timer & its keeping me a little more" aware" which is making me a bit faster.
Good luck * I'll be following this post :-)
I would start by making note of how long it takes you to prep, apply forms or tips, apply product and finish. Do this for a few clients and that will tell you what takes the longest.
I have already cut corners where i can and yet every step of the process take way to long Sad
I was told by a very famous educator, "don't be so perfect".

They were right. Perfection is a time waster.
i agree but before i was a perfectionist it took me just as long because the next time they came in there was nails missing and lots of lifting
Well, have someone watch you and time each step.

There has to be something you're doing unnecessarily. Prep time should take less than 20 minutes if you are using an efile. Even when I use a hand file, prep doesn't take more than 25-30 minutes. I've been doing nails for about the same amount of time as you and I can do hand prep in about 20 minutes and efile prep in about 10.

My simple full sets with forms take about an hour and 15 minutes and with tips about 55 minutes. If I'm adding glitter, nail art or embellishments, it takes longer but never over 2 hours.

I get lifting and missing nails every once in a while. It just happens. We can't go home with our clients and watch their every move.

I found when I was having trouble with time I was using to much product and that took me for ever to file, expecially if you are a perfectionest like I am. I tried a lot of diffrent products finally i found one that works for me and i spend less time now on my aplications!!
I think that's the trouble I'm having- trying to find a gel that works for me-not against me!
(12-22-2013, 04:28 PM)getnailed20 Wrote: I have already cut corners where i can and yet every step of the process take way to long Sad

You don't need to cut corners. Just not duplicate your efforts. I guarantee if you're spending a couple hours doing basic nails, you're repeating yourself. Here are my steps for a 45 min fill (acrylic/gel + gel polish)
-Sanitize hands and push back eponychium. Asses the nails for lifting. Note any cracks or breaks.
-With a carbide safety bit, remove gel polish or top seal. Debulk the nail. If there is any lifting, remove that with your efile on a lower speed.
One thing about this. I've learned to not spend too much time getting every piece of gel polish around the sidewalls with at this point. I'll get rid of it all on the next step.
-with a 150 Grit file, blend the product flush to the natural nail and bring in the sidewalls. If any nails have cracks, I cut them off.
-with a sciver bit I remove cuticle and shine from the natural nail. Dust off
That's about 15 min
-I apply dehydrator and primer.
-I apply acrylic or hard gel. Resculpt any broken nails.
-I finish file usually by hand (150 grit for acrylic, 180 grit hard gel). I prefer to file the surface before the outline of the nail. So apex, sidewall and cuticle area. Then length and free edge. Then sidewalls and lower arch. Now if nails from a crappy salon come in, I'll use an efile to refine the shape at this step. That way I only do it once Smile
-use a diamond cone bit to detail the cuticle and under the nail. When you're going to apply gel polish or top coat, it's important to finish file with a rough enough grit. At the most 180 grit.
-Dust off. Sometimes I cleanse ( if I'm doing art) but usually not. If you use cleanser it has to dry completely.
This is about 15-20 minutes
Apply gel polish (2-3 coats) and top coat. Cleanse , wash hands and oil that's about 10-15 minutes.

I hope this helps you. We all struggle with speed when we're not sure of what we're doing.
One thing that really helped me was to video myself working. Quite the eye opener!
Thank you, that is helpful to see how others do it. are you etching the natural nail with a hand file as well or putting your trust in the shriver bit? sounds like you use your safety bit to debulk the entire nail? do you not carve out the new smile line, just take it down with the bit?

i was also going to ask what others use to debulk and what their steps are
(12-27-2013, 09:59 PM)getnailed20 Wrote: Thank you, that is helpful to see how others do it. are you etching the natural nail with a hand file as well or putting your trust in the shriver bit? sounds like you use your safety bit to debulk the entire nail? do you not carve out the new smile line, just take it down with the bit?

i was also going to ask what others use to debulk and what their steps are

I don't etch the natural nail. If there is any shine on the natural nail I will use a 100 grit sponge buffer.

The steps I gave are for a single color rebalance. If I'm doing a backfill I cut a new smile line.
So you use the shiver bit to remove the cuticle? the grit sponge to take off the shine? a safety carbide bit to debulk? think i got that right, right? so what do you use to cut a new smile line and do you take down most/all of the white or do you just leave a 'valley'?
(12-29-2013, 12:02 AM)getnailed20 Wrote: So you use the shiver bit to remove the cuticle? the grit sponge to take off the shine? a safety carbide bit to debulk? think i got that right, right? so what do you use to cut a new smile line and do you take down most/all of the white or do you just leave a 'valley'?

I only cut a smile line with acrylic. I like to use an under nail cleaner personally, but a barrel carbide bit works too. I remove almost all of the white. With hard gel, I just remove almost all the product and do a new overlay.
Edit to add- Like mentioned above on repeating
One suggestion I learned in school was to not put a tool down till your finished with all ten. It's amazing how inefficient service can become if not aware of this one little thing. Hope this helps!
I just started doing acrylics again after 10 years and wanted to work on my speed. Like you, I am slow and I am a perfectionist. I'm going to be renting a booth in the spring, and because I will be working part time, I have to do as many clients as possible to be able to pay my booth rent and make a profit. As they say, time is money.

I watched a video on YT where a tech created a spreadsheet listing all the steps used when doing a full set (tips or sculptures) and the time it should take to be complete. Then she has multiple columns for each day of the week to track her progress. She uses a timer so she can make note of how long it takes her. I found this method to be extremely helpful and created my own sheet so I could add/tweak a few steps. Once you have a system in place, it will help you increase you service times as long as you follow the same steps every time you perform that service.

I'd be happy to share the spreadsheet with you. Shoot me an email if you're interested. It's [email protected] Good luck!

Chrissy
http://www.lovethosetoes.com
Bowie, MD
I'll be hitting you up for this!!!
:-)
That's awesome and hopefully very helpful...email sent Smile
I would love to see your spreadsheet also if possible. I always seem to be 15 minutes behind no matter what I do. Your spreadsheet seems to be a great idea. I'll try anything. My email is [email protected]
Thanks, Kelly*
I too strugle with the time and cant seem to be as fast.: its frustrating and i feel bad for taking so long. I just need to practice more and time myself.. Its hard when you dont have a whole lot of clients to practice on.
You are not alone - need clients to pick up speed!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 2
Views: 1,568
03-14-2014, 06:41 PM
Last PostMsCarmen
Replies: 4
Views: 2,119
03-26-2013, 04:36 PM